Ear, Nose & Throat Community
really worried about neck lymph nodes,will someone be kind enough to a...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

really worried about neck lymph nodes,will someone be kind enough to answer please

I AM 23,MALE...
About more than an year ago,i was going online when i got to read something about lymph node enlargement online,i checked myself with hands and i noticed that i have a slightly enlarged lymph node on the left side of my neck, and one on the right side aswell,which can be felt with deep pressing,they increased and decreased in size,but remained at around  2 cm long,one was a lil hard and the other was soft and both were moveable,one was a little more moveable....i also noticed that my left tonsil hurt ....however about 2 weeks ago i rechecked and i noticed my tonsil had gotten smaller,and both the lymph nodes have gone smaller and softer...one is around 1 cm long and in diameter also 1 cm,the other may be 1 to 1.5 cm in diameter and length..... but both have definitely gotten much smaller although i can still feel them with deep pressing....also i noticed that during night time they slightly increase and get harder and during morning after i brush they decrease and become softer....
about 1 and a half year ago
(,i had an ultrasound of the neck and the report said no lymphadenopathy seen,normal exam)
....the last time i went to the doctor some months ago she said as long as they are moveable nothing to worry about....maybe i have a hyperactive and sensitive lymph system....i have no difficulty swallowing,no lump in throat,although i do have ibs and gas and that causes my voice to be hoarse sometimes...

My main concern is i read about matted lymph nodes are related to cancer...after the left lymph node in neck decreased in size i noticed just next to it is a rather small pea sized maybe 0.75mm lymph node....

So my question is are 2 matted lymph nodes that are not enlarged and felt after some really deep pressing,a cause for concern for cancer,
And are decreasing lymph nodes in size possibly cancerous in my case?
can matted nodes be caused by strep or other sore throat problem?

I didnot have tuberculosis...but i have had sore throat,possibly strep,with yellow mucus and fever,  which resolved after a course of antibiotics,and painful lymph nodes in neck(the same ones)

*ALL MY BLOOD REPORTS ARE NORMAL and no fever...
Regards,
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Lymph are protective mechanisms of the body and they 'trap' the infecting source causing enlargement of lymph nodes. The infection can be from the draining skin or the organs. Matted lymph nodes do occur with tuberculosis. The other causes for enlarged nodes are tumors or inflammations to name a few.

It may take time for the lymph nodes to decrease in size following an infection. And also as you have been examined and investigated you are unlikely to be suffering from chronic infections, so don't worry.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.