Ear, Nose & Throat Community
3 Year Old - Cronic(chronic) Congestion - Runny Nose Cough
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

3 Year Old - Cronic(chronic) Congestion - Runny Nose Cough

High everyone.  My wife and I have a 3 year old son, who for the past 2 years has had to deal with a congested and runny nose the practically the entire time.  At first our doctor said that it was just allergies and put him on one of the many allergy medicines.  We haven't had him tested because the doctor said that regardless of the result, they are all treated the same.  He has had about 5 or 6 ear infections since he was 1 year old.  He has also had Bronchitis, Croup and many nites where he coughs all night long.  We have ran Humidifiers, Vaporizers, everything.  
His pediatrician still believes allergies.  Yet when it comes to family history, there is no history of allergies.  He has no problem with foods that we can see and his problems do not get worse when around dogs, cats etc.  His speech is developing fine and he can hear fine.  

We have also noticed that when he has been on antibiotics, that he clears right up.  No congestion.  As soon as he is off, the faucet starts to run again.  

I'm beginning to think that he may have some issues with adenoids (adenoids).  

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with allergies, then only to find out that it was something else going on like adenoids (adenoids).  

From reading on various sites, I have read where adenoid issues can cause some behavioral issues.  My son is a good boy, but he does seem to get irritated really quick and can take a very good, long solid nap.  I'm wondering if he is getting a good nights rest

Just looking for some advise.  He is going to the doctor again today for yet another all nighter croupy cough episode.

Thanks