Ear, Nose & Throat Community
6 year old boy that gets croup often

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

6 year old boy that gets croup often

I have a 6 year old son that gets croup often throughout the year and has since he has been about 6 months old. I was told he should have grown out of this a while ago. When he was younger he use to have to go to the ER to correct it but now I can usually correct at home. He has been labeled FTT, he recentlty had his Tonsils and Aetniods removed. During that procedure the surgen said that his airway seems to be a bit on the smaller side that normal. At 3 months he was said to have a "functional" heart murmur, that is still present. He complains of stomache pains often and wets the bed every night. Can anyone relate or have anything they can add or share? Thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your concern. Croup is usually caused by a virus. And these viruses over time adapt, that means they develop new strains to fight the medications and immune mechanisms to survive. Besides it depends on one’s immunity also. If it is good the person may not develop the infection and even if he develops it may be mild. If the immunity is relatively less then he is likely to easily contact the infection and may have more symptoms.

The best bet would be improving one’s immunity. You can do this by giving him plenty of fruits and vegetables, with a well balanced diet and by asking him to exercise regularly.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.