Ear, Nose & Throat Community
A PILL IS STUCK PLEASE HELP ME

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

A PILL IS STUCK PLEASE HELP ME

Hello to everyone :-)
I have come here in severe pain that just wont go away. On Tuesday Feburary 28th I swallowed a Cephalexin 500mg, film coated ?, pill. My life has been a nightmare ever since. It STILL feels stuck, up in my nose, somewhere, maybe my soft palate area ?.
I can annoyoingly feel it move around when I laugh, caugh, talk, breathe, move around certain ways or to fast. When I lay back to chill or go to sleep I can feel the yucky stupid pill dropping down, I am with out a doubt convinced I would of tasted it dissolving, at some point.
I have tried everything that I could think of, that has been kindly and helpfully suggested by family and friends and all the sane ideas I have read over the internet. Some suggestions only seem to slighty soothe or ease the pain. As the days have gone on it has become alot more difficult and painful to breathe and speak.I have tried the Neti Nasal bath, stayed unhappily faithful to soft foods, gallons of pipping hot decaf honey green tea. Ive tried a hummidifier, vick vapor rub and even olive oil.
I have been to the hospital 4 times so far. The doctors examined me, scoped my nose, did xrays of my throat and chest and insisted that they saw nothing. I plan on going to my doctor and asking for a ct scan. I have never been through anything to this extreme, its been beyond stressful and scary and has caused me alot of anxiety. I have no idea what happens next If I am right about the pill being stuck.
Surgery to remove it ?, is that what happens ?. I am SOOO freaked out !. Has anybody been through this ?

Tyvm for reading/replying :-)
I have not been sleeping properly since Tuesday and have actually been awake all night, because I've been to afraid to sleep. I really need answers, guidance and support. The doctors don't seem to be helping very much :) Its just a very scary time and something in my body has felt really really wrong and completley off since the pill got stuck. I just want help its painful and scary.
Just try to breath calmy as u used to cause if u get chronic hyperventilation of the anxiety it is a different story. It can take half a year to get back to normal breathing. I also had this 1.5 years ago and my mind is completely blank now. I got somewhat the same but I don't understand you swallowed a pill and you feel it in your nose?? I had it stuck 10 cm underneath my adams apple. But are you sure it's still there or is it just the feeling that is left? Greets.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the pill is stuck, it is likely to cause symptoms based on its location. Like if it is in the nose, it cause difficulty with breathing, if in the throat it can cause difficulty swallowing and in the lungs it can cause severe retching and cough. In the absence of these symptoms and if the investigations did not reveal anything, it's unlikely that anything is stuck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.