Ear, Nose & Throat Community
A smell like gas fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

A smell like gas fumes

I just started experiecing a smell like gas fumes.  No one else around me can smell it and it the smell is everywhere I go.  I do have some sinus problems but have never considered it to be serious.  It is very annoying.  Any suggestions?
JF
There's 2 common mystery smells on this forum.  One is a poop smell, which sometimes gets so bad that other people can smell it, and less common is a gas fume smell, which you mention.  The poop smell is caused by an anaerobic bacteria, and it can be removed with a saline flush (I've done it myself).  I don't have enough feedback on the gas smell, but it seems to have a similar source, reference your other sinus problems.  You may possibly clear it out with a Neilmed Sinus Rinse, but that will only reach the lower sinuses.  If the problem originates in the upper sinuses, the only solution, besides antibiotics if you are lucky, seems to be the Flip-Turn Sinus Flush.  It's riskier than the Neilmed, because you have to bend over to get the saline in the top of your head, but it will clear up the rest of your sinus problems.  If the gas smell continues, then you know it's not an infection, and you can pursue another course with an ENT.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322
    I have the gas smell in my right nostril and I just got off seven days of penicillin,and I still have the strong smell in my nose.
I have been having the same issue and I ran across an article about nasal fungal infection, there are two types, chronic and acute.  The acute fungal infection seems quite serious and the chronic says only surgery is the best option.  This may be why antibiotics don't work, they will actually make it worse.
I think you need to look it up and see an ENT, they can test for the fungus...I'm going to.
If you have any memory foam in your home, try eliminating it before you resort to a medical answer.  I got rid of my memory foam pillow and mattress topper, and within a week, the smells were completely gone.  Very scary...but easily fixed.
I started getting the gas smell more than a couple of years ago each time I was recovering from a cold, but now I have it and I've not had a cold.  My doctor gave me a clean bill of health, but doctors don't know everything.
I started getting the gas fumes smell in my nose after I lost my smell a few months ago. I was sick with the flu and ever since then I have had some really odd annoying smells in my nose. I hate not being able to smell anything! When will this go away and what should I do??