Abnormal Smell
Someone wrote of this same problem last year, but did not recieve any responses or advice.  I also began smelling a sickeningly sweet smell after recovering from two bad colds...one of which I had lost my sense of taste and smell.  After a while, my perception of odor becaue a variation on the same "burnt brownie, arisol, petroleum, chemical" smell.  The stronger the odor - like sulfer - the stronger my burnt brownie combo smell.  Food also has this overtone of taste. This has been going on for 4 months.  I have even quit smoking for over a month - no change.

Does anyone have any insights here?
Possibly an infection by anaerobic bacteria that remain in your sphenoid or frontal sinuses, as a result of the cold, messing with your olfactories, which are in the same area of your head.  Here's the only cure that works, except if you just wait and it goes away on its own.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322

The flip-turn flush is mildly risky, because it requires that you bend over, preferably in a shower, but you can do it outside on soft ground.  Continue to do it for about 3 days after the phantom smell goes away, or it will grow back, like it did to me 2 times until i figured it out.  And give it a month before you resume smoking (gotta be addicted to something), because the smoke temporarily paralyzes the cilia.
P.S.  You are luckier than most with this problem, as some anaerobic bacteria smell like dogpoop. Yes, I also had a similar smell that you have, last time I had a cold, but I got rid of it immediately. Good luck.
Thank you for taking the time to help me.  I have read the journal top to bottom.  I have no other symptoms - no sinus pain, mucus, irritation but will certianly give this method a try.  Once I'm off smoking for 2 months, that should be enough to keep me off smoking for ever - that will be one positive outcome.  I'll let you know how I made out.
The anaerobic bacteria, unlike other other sinus infections, doesn't always produce congestion or other symptoms, just an annoying smell.