Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Acute Throat Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Acute Throat Pain

I have severe throat pain on left side mainly underneath jaw and at bottom of throat. Seems to be set off by acidic foods, or swallowing bulky rough items. I have never had a sore throat like this before -- I have no other symptoms no cold, no runny nose, no cough etc.  It has not gotten any better after a kind of 2 day onset 6 days ago. Yawning really hurts severely. Eating is hard - I don't have problem swallowing if I eat small liquid things like chicken soup, but eating lasagna was an instant killer maybe because of the tomato sauce?  Could it be some virus, bacterial infection, or some throat cancer.  I am 44 in good shape eat well take vitamins and exercise everyday. This hurts like heck and is the weirdest sore throat I have ever had. The pain moves around from below adams apple lower throat to up underneath where jaw connects to neck. Leaning on my neck makes it worse. I have no swollen or painful glands that I can feel.  ????

Thanks,

This sounds a lot like a reflux-related condition.  Get yourself some over-the-counter antacid medication like Prilosec or Zantac and take it as it says on the box.  Your symptoms of pain should be relieved by this (if this is the case).  Many people with severe reflux describe trouble swallowing as well (muscles in the throat can get irritated and spasm).  If this does not work, you'll need to go in and have your throat looked at.
You mention pain when eating acidic foods.  This is interesting as there might be a possibility of a blocked duct in your submandibular gland.  The blockage might be caused by stones in the gland and it prevents saliva being able to be passed through via a duct to under your tongue.  The pain can come when a person is hungry or stimulated by food.  The submandibular gland pain is felt under the jaw/neck and also can give pain in the jaw bone and ear.  An xray called a sialogram can be done where they try and pass a tiny tube through the duct and into the gland, carrying dye which is shown up on the xray.  Sometimes they are unable to do this because of the blockage in the tiny duct itself.  Pain can also come from the muscles in the neck being tense.  Try resting with a warm compress or warm hot water bottle against your neck and face.  Take paracetamol and gentle massage of the sore area.  See your doctor for a referral to ENT specialist.
Went to the doctor. He suggested it could be a canker sore in my throat. That's what it feels like.

The area under my tongue/neck gland is still irritated and the doctor mentioned my saliva was very thick so the duct thing is possible also.

The symptoms started going away on their own the next day. I still have some heartburn near my breastbone now. I'm thinking it may be some reflux thing also... or a canker sore thing. Either way it seems to be resolving on its own. I also took zantac for a few days before it started getting better so thanks everyone...

thanks,
Phospo
Hi, I'm glad things are a little bit better for you and hope you continue to improve.