Ear, Nose & Throat Community
"After Bed Runny Nose" Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

"After Bed Runny Nose" Syndrome

Every time I get up from bed, be it after a night's rest or just after lying down on bed for a few minutes, my nose will start dispelling mucus.

I have been experiencing this for about 5 years. This happens when I sleep at home. When I am sleeping at other locations-chalet, camps and etc, I don't experience such symptoms.

Could it be due to the fact that my room is dusty and I am allergic to dust? I have also heard some rumours that this syndrome happens because the body is dispelling germs or toxins from the body. Is that true?

I am perplexed as what causes this ' after bed runny nose' syndrome.  Pls enlighten. Thank you.

You have told the problem as well as the answer also. It is usually the dust room and the bed that is causing the increased secretion of mucous inside the nose. It is secondary to your allergic problem. Apart from this there is shredding of the scales or the dead cells from the body which is feasted upon by certain mites. These mites defecate and the defecated materials are the ones which causes allergy and as a reaction to this you have increased secretions inside the nose.

Regards
OHNS2010
It could be Allergic Rhinitis as said by the doctor and yourself.But the possibility of it being a case of Vasomotor Rhinitis can't be excluded either in my opinion.Only a thorough evaluation with the mandatory tests would help but surely making use of the preventive tips would come in handy.Stay away from sheets not washed and wear a mask or handkerchief over nose while getting exposed to dust, would go a long way in getting an "after-bed nose in a sunny and not runny mood" :)