Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Airplane landing with cold, now can't hear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi, I got nice little head and chest cold or whatever on Sunday/Monday.  Monday I flew from Seattle to San Francisco and while landing my ears clogged up so bad it felt like knives were being stabbed repeatedly into my ear drums. It hurt so bad all I could do was rock back and forth for ten minutes or more.  It subsided after we landed but my ears were still a bit tender.  That was Monday.  Today, well yesterday... on wednesday I flew again to Chicago and upon landing my ears started to do it again.  they narrowly avoided the stabbing pain, but after we landed the clogged feeling didn't go away in my left ear.  It's been twelve hours since we landed and it feels as if something is wrong in there, like it's clogged but maybe not clogged or something and of course I can't hear worth a hoot at all either.

I'm pretty nervous as to what's up.  Does anybody have any insight?  thanks so much.
Sounds like your eustachian tubes.  

Try a decongestant with an antihistimine and see if that works.  

Best to consult a physician as well.  
I will try that.  It's now been almost 36 hours since I landed and my ear is in the same state.  I'm wondering why it continues to be so. Wouldn't it have changed by now.  Also, what is actually going on, I read about pressure differences in the tubes and all, but now that i've been landed for so long, why isn't anything resolving.  I'm still sick if that matters to anyones answer.

Sometimes, the eustachian tubes have a difficult time after being exposed to extreme pressure differences.  

You can try an OTC decongestant with an OTC antihistimine and see if that helps.  If you are going into day 3 and still having this problem, please consult your physician or a physician.