Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Allergies, sinus problem, or neuromuscular problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I went to the MD last week with nasal blockage, pressure headaches, and sore throat. MD prescribed clarithromycin. I have developed a very stiff neck with shoulder and back pain. Nasal passages still blocked, headaches and ears popping intermittently. Should I go see an ENT. Seeing a chiropractor this week to work out some of the neck pain.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The headaches, ear popping and nasal block could be due to sinusitis. Inflammation in the nose and sinuses can cause inflammation around the Eustachian tube, which is the tube that runs from the back of the nose to the middle ear and is responsible for draining the middle ear of fluid.  If there is Eustachian tube dysfunction from nose or sinus inflammation, fluid can remain in the middle ear which can lead to ear fullness.

The neck pain may not be related to sinusitis. It could be caused by cervical spondylosis. You may be having a nerve compression at the cervical (neck) level. The nerve compression could be due to an osteophyte, growth or a disc. This could be causing the neck, back and shoulder pain. A neurological examination by your primary care physician may confirm this. He may then ask for blood test, an x ray and if needed an MRI to find out what is causing the compression. This is usually treated conservatively (without surgery) with physiotherapy, traction and cervical collars. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.