Allergy/Eczema in Ears leaking clear fluid
I've had eczema in my ears for 15 yrs. It is very cyclical, starting w/intense uncontrollable itching, then clear fluid leaking from skin, followed by crusting over & flaking of skin in ears that is itchy in & of itself, leading to more scratching & picking at ears. The skin in my ears gets very damaged and ratty during outbreaks. I also have swelling of the ear canal after these itch/scratch episodes that are sometimes quite painful, & Motrin helps that.  ENT Dr. prescribed steriod cream. Yes, it clears it up & I follow through w/recommended application after rash dissappears, but as SOON as I stop applying cream, rash returns just as intense. I don't use steriod creams anymore because it's not a CURE & I'm not crazy about putting steriods in my head everyday. I know eczema is really an allergy & will never disappear until allergen is removed. My next step is to see an allergist to find out what could be triggering this.  I read that a nickel allergy can create eczema around ears from wearking earrings (most are made of nickel).  But I'm more concerned now because I'm noticing more leaking of the clear fluid.  Does anyone else experience this clear fluid leaking?  What is it?  Lymph fluid trying to heal the area? CSF leaking, in my case maybe from trauma to the ear canal from the severe scratching episodes I go through?
If you can collect the ear fluid bring it to an ENT who can send it for lab resluts to see if it is CSF leaking.  Though  it should be in a sterile container and I am not sure how long the fluid if it is CSF will hold stable for.  But your best bet is to try and collect it.
i totally have the exact thing your talking about w/ the ear eczema... skin, itch, crusting, leaking everthing...omg....i cant take anymore either.....
I don't know if you will read this as your note was posted a little while ago...  but I have had the same eczema in my ears for years too.  The same itching, scratching and weeping (which is a colourless fluid the same as produced by other types of eczema).   I used steroid cream for years too but I also didn't think it was good for my body in general.  I have now discovered Aloe Propolis cream...  it is totally natural and I pop a little in my ears if they feel dry or itchy.  It hasn't cured completely yet...  but these things take a while... but it is definitely helping and is something I will continue to use always.  If you need a supplier I can recommend one.   Best wishes.
hi my mum has this exact thing and i would be very grateful if you would recommend a supplier of the cream tht you mentioned
Hi I had the same itch in my ears and nose. The itch and the clear fluid that leaked out drove me bonkers. I tried numerous creams that were prescribed by my doctor. Nothing worked. Then I went to a different doctor and he recommended a lotion called Ectoson regular 0.1%. BINGO!!!! the eczema in and around my ears and nose is gone. I  apply a bit of it to the affected area 1-2 times a day and around 4-6 days my rash was just about gone. I've only been on this stuff for 3 weeks now. I am starting to use less and less to see if the rash comes back. I hope this info helps you people out.
I seem to have similar problem.  For several years now I have had greater amounts of wax and occasionally, once a month in each ear fluid leaking for a day.  Then fluid stops and firms up like a yellowy wax out of the ear.  Now my one ear has gotten worse to the point I have been taking steroid drops to keep it clear as I wait to see specialist.  The doctor says wax in the ears or an ear infection that will not go away but this may be a skin ear irritation - I do have rosacia on my face.

Anyone else have similar problem ?  What should I use rather then steroid drops ?

I have had the same problem for many years now.  I have tried everything!  I am now going to try the above creams and see if that works.  

Thanks, CMF
i injured my right ear using a cotton bud and was prescribed drops which cleared up the problem but then i developed a prob with my left ear. i have never had ear probs before but now have constant infections in my left ear. they are as you describe, itchy, sore, dry then leaking fluid. my doc has prescribed antibiotics every time, and although the ear clears it comes straight back again within a few days. it gets very uncomfortable and my ear swells and is painful. i would love a cure as i am reluctant to go back to my docs and have more antibiotics. at the moment it is sore, scaly and leaking. any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Same thing here.. Ive had a tube in my ear for 6 years now.. Ever sence then ive had nothing but the itching, draining of fluid, swelling inside and outside of my ear, crust, no wax at all anymore in that ear just fluid etc.. The itching is so bad i cant stand it.. Ive been put on antibiotics everytime and it never works except for the time that im takin them then it comes right back.. I feel like the Drs. just want to write it off as some ear infection and i know that no infection keeps comin right back after antibiotics everytime.. Lazy doctors is what i think.. I never had these kind of problems till the tube was put into my ear, thats why i found the allergy thing interesting.. Maybe im allergic to something in the tube.. Oh, and its also my left ear.. No problems with my right ear at all that has NO tube in it.. Anyone else have a tube in the ear that is the problem ear??
Hi I am suffering from Eczema since my childhood, i had it over my body.. but now I only have it bellow my feet, for last couple of months, I don't use any medicine, as steroids have damaged me a lot. I only use 2 very cheap curse, which make me relieved.

1- For Etching, whenever i feel etching, I take fresh water in a small tub, add salt to it (1 table spoon for 1 jug) and dip my feet into it for 15 minutes or till it stops etching. Once it stops etching, I take out my feet and dry those with a towel, without rubbing.

2- Soon after I apply some oil (may be brassica oil, olive oil or whatever natural oil i can get) to it...

As soon as I feel my skin drying, I apply oil again. Usually 4 to 5 times in 4 to5 hours.

This not only stops etching for 4 to 5 hours, but gradually reduces the intensity of inflamation as well.

I repeat this after every 5 to 8 hours.
I had the same thing for about 4/5 years, ear leaking clear fluid, itchy etc. My doctor prescribed me sofradex ear drops, which i used intensely for the first few weeks but now i only use once every month, its kept it at bay so far and i've been on them about a year. hope this helps

Also, locotern vioform ear drops are sometimes prescribed for less severe cases.
I had never known anyone else with this problem until recently. I have had a tube in my right ear for almost 20 years and the itching problem for nearly that long. Doctors just say that I have eczema and to put a cortizone cream in to solve the problem. It doesn't work! Right now I have the itching, swelling, pain and fluid on a regular basis. The person I spoke with, that has the same problem, said that it's allergy related and I should get wheat products out of my diet. I am going to give this a try and see what happens.
About 10 years ago I had a bad break out of eczema and after the dermatologist had prescribed 8 different prescription medications I was beginning to think I was going to have to live with this ugly rash.  Then I was introduced to Cetaphil lotion.  Within a week the rash was gone.  Make sure you buy the Cetaphil that is in the tub because it is thicker then the bottle.  I use this after every time I shower and I have not had a break since until now.
Recently medication used for my ear caused me to develop eczema in my ear.  I was prescribed a medication but after my first experience I had little faith in it.  I decided to try my own cure first.  I have been taking a small piece of rolled tissue and dipping it into the Cetaphil lotion.  I then gently roll it around inside my ear.  I have opted for the tissue because it is soft and I know that you can damage you ear using cue tips.  I have been doing this for about a week and the pain in my ear is almost completely gone.  I cannot say it has completely worked but I think within a couple more days it will be gone.
Through the years I have run into a couple of other people with eczema that wouldn’t go away and Cetaphil has worked for each of them.  You can find it at any major drug store.
ugh my ear is soooooooooooooooo itchy i 'll kill my eardrum with a q-tip, i'm sure.  I can't stand it anymore,,,,I have an itchy rash on neck, my lower lip and a leaky crusty itchy clogged left ear...what is happening....i've always had eczema on my  has..but this is ruinging my life...i've been to 8 doctors and tons of antibiotics and steriods but nothing is working....what is wrong with my body???
i have blistery pathches that itch like hell on both arm.. i also have this ear problem too.. are they both eczema?
I have same thing -itchy crusty right ear - plus deaf from build up of white yukky flakes-left ear smells like rotten cheese and has fluid.  I put peroxide in them and can hear the bacteria breaking up. Am I destined to live forever with this -started after major fall on a dirty metal escolator tread that punctured my forhead- then started with large lymph glands on back of neck and then leaked fluid then turned to crusty ecsema thern traveled to ears. OMG
I posted something a month or two ago but I'm not sure if it was here.  Anyway, I mentioned Candida and that I was trying a homeopathic treatment.  So far it hasn't worked and I've been scratching and digging harder and keeper than ever.  I've had this ear thing for many, many years since I was a little girl.  My grandfather used to dig at his ears with toothpicks.  So, I'm guessing it's an eczema thing caused by one allergy or another.  Whatever it is, nothing has worked.  I just saw the post from the person who used Zymox.  A light went off--I have three dogs and a bottle of Zymox!  I just swabbed both ears with Zymox.  They actually seem a bit calmed, but are throbbing, as usual after I've attacked them.  I get the itch, scratch and then I dig my ears with anything I can get my hands on.  Untwisted paper clips work great.  They bleed and a clear fluid runs out of them.  I swab with peroxide and put an antibiotic ointment in them, hopefully to avoid ear infections.  They won't itch for an hour or two.  Lately, crazily, whether they itch or not, I'll stick something in them and scratch anyway.  I had to laugh at one person's description of being addicted to scratching them.  That starts the whole cycle again because the scratching feels great. But of course the burning and throbbing starts again, along with the bleeding and fluid.   I'll post again after using Zymox for a few days and let you know how it worked.  In the mean time, I empathize will all of you and I feel better knowing that I'm not the only person with maddening itchy ears.  My doctor also thinks I'm crazy and told me to just stop scratching them.  OoooooKaaaaaa.  I too wake up during the night, scratching away!
i put a few drops of olive oil in my ears a few times a week. helps keep the itching calm but no cure
My daughter babysits for this 6 mth old baby who has eczema on his face and body so bad that the Drs have said its the worst case they have ever seen he also has the clear fluid leaking from his ears. I feel so bad for this little guy he scratches so much and his skin is aboout 75% covered with rash. The parents don't like to take him in public because it frightens other people that he may be contageous, and of course every one stares. They have been to a few drs and no one has been able to help him. If anyone knows of a Dr that can help this little baby please let me know. Thank you.
i too hve the same problem... Cn ny 1 suggest me nythn ... I'm tird nw...
I cannot believe how common this is. I am 35 and just recently found out that I have this. I know I have had it almost my entire life because I had these symptoms since I was a teenager at least. Does anyone know if this is a newer discovery/diagnosis? Only reason I ask is I used to see an allergist and he never mentioned anything about this or even suggested that I may have this condition. Thanks in advance!
Wow! I was also just told I had this and thought my Dr was full of it and just telling me some BS! I have never heard of this before and am also amazed at how common it is, yet no cures! I have been tempted to cut my ear off to stop the itching.
The problem may be an allergic reaction to yeast. I've had the same problem as you, also for years, but the condition cleared up almost entirely during the days following a bout with the flu during which I couldn't eat much more than chicken soup. My prior habit was to go vegetarian, which meant a breakfast of whole wheat toast covered with a paste made of brewer's yeast and olive oil. Now I'm trying to eliminate bread from my diet to see what happens. The eczema is back but not as severe as before when the itchyness actually kept me from sleeping. This morning I ate a big piece of yeasted bread for breakfast and felt exhausted, rather than refreshed, another sign of yeast allergy.
Coming from a personal experience. Google alternative medicine:Urine therapy. If you suffered for years from itchy ears that bleed and produce yellow liquid staining your pillow, like me, you might be ready to try it. It works for me. Good luck and let me know about your results. I hope it will help.
Relieved to read these posts....only because I learned I wasn't the only one with maddening, cyclical bouts that bring my ears: intense itchiness; sore, cracked, bloody, tender, red skin; massive dead skin flakes; hearing loss due to swollen, infected ears being plugged up with gook; and apparently (my five-year-old told me today) an unpleasant stench. My history is recurrent swimmer’s ear when young. The doctor would prescribe drops and/or irrigate the ear with warm water. Not sure if it’s related, but in college, I had a massive episode of vertigo and they could find no cause (even after a CT-SCAN). At any rate, after reaching adulthood and having recurrent doc visits for the same problem (at this point, symptom was ear infection), I was finally referred to a specialist. I went to him for years. Don’t remember how often; maybe every month or two. He'd suction out the gook (LOVED that machine), and depending on whether or not ears were infected, prescribe cortisone drops. At that point, everything was fine, because I had access to a suction machine (they’re so much better than irrigations!). My ENT seemed perplexed that I continued to return with symptoms, but let’s face it, he wasn’t as bothered about it as I was. Later, I developed a strange, dry crust in my ear and tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it….tea tree ointment, Vaseline, gentle moisturizers etc. The next time I saw my doctor and told him of my hideously-annoying new aliment, he nonchalantly said to use a 1% cortisone cream. I did, and voila, it worked. However, cortisone weakens the skin and I didn’t want to use it constantly. The problem continued. I moved to another town, went to another ENT and he told me – for the first time ever –that I had eczema in my ears. Finally a diagnosis! But he too gave me steroid creams and drops. Right now, I’m avoiding my steroid creams and drops because they work beautifully, but after a week or so, the problem is back—with a vengeance. My mother has eczema on her hands and knows a lot about what works for eczema and what doesn’t. She suggested I “clean out” the dead skin with hydrogen peroxide, try not to itch at all (haha, easier said than done) and put diaper cream on the skin. So, now twice a day I soak a small piece of cotton with a 10% hydrogen peroxide solution and let it sit in the ear for as long as I can stand it. The longer you wait, the more crap it’ll ‘cook’ out of your ear. The second recommendation to not touch or itch the ear, well, I haven’t achieved the second step yet. Instead, I take a clean, dry cotton ball piece and itch the heck out of my ears with it after I’ve let the peroxide sit. It usually reveals a fair amount of dead skin and gook. Fifty percent of the time, I can hear better after I do this. Then, I take a clean q-tip and put a tiny amount of diaper cream on it. I swab that in my ear on the cracked, sore tender areas (trying to avoid getting it into my ear – I still want to hear) and it seems to stop the itching for a few hours. I keep my ears from water too. When I shower, I put a small piece of a cotton ball in my ear and put Vaseline OVER it so water doesn’t leak in. For years I put the Vaseline on the part of the cotton inside my ear, but that just unnecessarily gooks up your ear and pushes the Vaseline towards the ear drum. Right now I’m trying homeopathy and, so far, it's not helping—but my homeopath wants to try again. I'm also thinking about acupuncture, but it might take a while, because it'll be hard to find practitioners in my area. I’ll post news if I find anything that “cures” me. Good luck to all and thanks for sharing what’s helped you thus far.
okay....so I get the seeping clear fluid from my ears. sometimes they feel sore when I am lying on that side....BUT I do not having any itching at all!!
The ENT still said eczema. Is that possible??
Does anyone get blurred vision or dizziness with it? I've been struggling to use a bus and my eye sight has been awful since these ear problems. All of which have been mentioned above.
I do have blurred vision, double vision and dizziness too. But I am diagnosed with MS....so not sure if the vision and dizziness has anything to do with the seeping ears.
Just a quick note to say hi! and that after googling about my own ears, i ordered zymox. got it today and already feel the itch is 50% less. i have such high hopes for this because ive had excema in my ear for about 10years now...so yes will try anything. but in my research found it contains lactoferrin, which is an anti fungal (gets rid of infection in ear), anti bacterial (gets rid of bacteria that fungal infection feeds off, anti viral (gets rid of internal virus that causes this cycle) and anti inflammatory (gets rid of itch and swelling). its available as a suppliment so im going to try that just for improving my health! just thoght you may be interested. i'll keep you up to date with how i go with zymox.fingers crossed.
I've also thought my itchy ears were related to yeast.  I had been dealing with itchy ears for a number of years and started paying closer attention to when they got really bad.  I noticed that they would flair up after drinking beer.  If I drank a lot of beer, I would get the clear fluid that everyone is talking about in this discussion and my ears would be so itchy that they would wake me up.  I no longer drink beer and my ears have been pretty good for the most part (they are sooo much better than they had been for the 3 years or so before I stopped drinking beer).  But...I was visiting with my mom the last two days and she made me a salad with brewer's yeast on top two nights in a row and now my ears are itching again (I normally don't eat brewer's yeast).  Who knows if beer and brewer's yeast are really the cause, but my symptoms are enough to make me think that they have something to do with it.  (I can eat bread and other things with yeast in it, but maybe beer and brewer's yeast puts me over the edge.)
Maybe there are other people out there who have sensitivities to these things.
I also have the same issues with my ears.  They itch like crazy and seep out this clear liquid.  Every ENT I go to tells me it's just another ear infection, but there is no way.  It's got to be eczema.  The only solution I have found that stops the itching and drys up the gross clear stuff is a cream called "Fluocinonide".  I swear, this stuff works.  Sometimes it burns a bit at first, but it's a good burn knowing that it's going to help!
I have suffered with this as well for years. I am 37 now, and have had it ever since I can remember. I did get frequent ear infections as a child from swimming and various other things, such as teething. My ears itch SO bad and the cortisone doesnt help at all. I have seen multiple ENTs and they have all prescribed steroid cream that works great, but then it comes back with a vengeance. I only have these symptoms in my right ear, but they are not only on the ear they are behind it too in the groove where the ear attaches to the head. Anybody else having that? I have found a couple of things that seem to help, but like everyone else, no cure :-(. I have been using the Gold Bond lotion that fairly new. Its in a white bottle with a gold top, its like for extremely dry skin. That has worked well in helping with the redness and itching. I have also used something called TriplePaste, which is like a diaper rash cream, that ultimately did NOT work for me, but helped a friend of mine who has eczema on her hands. I have also used something called emollient night cream from Mary Kay. It worked okay too but I thought it was too expensive for the tiny bottle that it came in and it was more oily than what I wanted. But the Gold Bond worked okay. I also do the hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears, but Im sure I have damaged the ear drum by sticking things in my ears to scratch them. I dont know if this is all related or not, but I also get frequent sore throats and constantly cough up tonsil stones. I have frequent bad breath that comes from my tonsils. I have been told that I need my tonsils out to solve these problems, but its very risky surgery nowadays, there is a higher chance of bleeding in adults. They can laser them but they told me I would be out of work about 3 months and I cant afford that. I also have AIRPLANE EAR really bad. That was a new occurence for me as well. When they plane starts to descend, I get sharp piercing pains in my ears. I researched this as well, and found that if I take sudafed a few days before I fly its not as bad and I also have to force my ears to pop when they start to feel painful and it relieves the pain. I dont know if its damaging the ear in any way by me forcing it to pop, but I wish I could just find a sure fire cure for this that would fix it for good.
I went to the health food store and found Wally's Ear Oil about 2 weeks ago after reading some of the posts here. (Price is around $10)  Only occasional itching now when I don't apply the drops daily. I started with 6 drops three times daily. Even the small amount of cotton in the ears does not make the ear itch. It took some time but the clear liquid, crusting and pain finally stopped. Very little  flaking skin too. But the itching stopped quickly. I had forgotten what it was like to be able to sleep the whole night through without itchy watery ears. I thought I would lose my sanity because of the constant itching. The ear oil has a pleasant smell too. If you cannot find it at your health food store you can find it online.***No More All Day And All Night Itching!***
This is so helpful just knowing this is what's wrong. Thank you for sharing.

When my husband was a young child he found relief from eczema that covered his legs, in the ocean beach of Hawaii. He thinks it was in Waikiki but was too little to know. It was suggested by a local native Hawaiian. I hope it can cure that baby too.

My new doctor today told me to use rubbing alcohol and vinegar in equal parts to rinse my ears to prevent the cycle after the ear infection heals. This will clean and remove moisture without over drying the skin. Hope it works... and its not toxic or expensive.
I was diagnosed with ezcema in the ears 3 years ago, my ENT prescribed a cream worked extremly well, used off and on, no big deal, well, it hit me with a vengeance this winter , so I went back to the ENT, to find out he had retired and saw his PA, who prescribed Dermoptic ears drops, they were useless, so then she gave me betamethasone valerate cream, after dealing with this cream for 4 months,  I called and had her give me what the Dr had given me  which is CLOTRIMAZOLE BETAMETHASONE DIPROPIONATE CREAM, which has ingredients for bacteria, pain and itching,  I had immediate relief again, better in 2 days and will use as needed, this cream is only $10.00 at Walmart Pharmacy with no insurance. So give this chance it works very well, but make sure  you ask for this cream and no variance and have them give you a refill or 2 so you dont have to keep paying them. Good Luck, my fellow ear scratchers
oh wow! I can't believe I've found this forum! I've googled for the past few years, itchy ears, leaky ears, serous otorrhea etc. Not until my Dr. made himself somewhat useful in saying that my problem is related to eczema in my ears. I never see him until my problem leads to a full blown infection. So this last bout, i was still having the leaky problem in one ear while the other was swollen, bones in my head hurt, neck swollen etc.
What's so weird about this leaky fluid....it is sticky like glue, and when it dries and crusts my ears up.....but then when i pick the crusts off, it's almost like that fluid 'knows' i just messed up its handiwork in my ear......so more fluid races out to redo it LOL. I've had this happen in the corner of my nose once too...and now i'm pretty sure it's the same fluid. (and it was my left nostril....everything on the left for me.) as soon as you pick the crust, here comes more! :(
2 years ago I was struck with Bell's Palsy on the left side, coincidentally...my left ear is the one i have the most trouble with. I'm convinced it is related somehow. Prognosis is not good with bell's palsy...it rarely clears itself up in less than a couple of months. I got rid of it (or it could be a coincidence) with a technique called EFT (and acupressure tapping technique). It doesn't work for everything, but has cured severe food allergies. And believe me.....I'm am incredibly skeptical to the point that I even think most any health food and all health meds (which do come from a lab) are just snake oil. So I was desperate, and tired of being disfigured and tried the EFT, and began to be able to twitch my eyebrow after a few days, then the smile got better after a week of this it was gone. I only had Bell's for 3 weeks total. My last ear infection, I'm recovering from right now, was/is a doozey and I'm just about desperate enough to try the EFT again since it is for allergies primarily anyway.
If anyone tries it I'd be interested in hearing about it for sure. Sorry for rambling on. Anything I could say is stuff you've already heard and say yourself, right? so I just thought I'd put the EFT thing out there if anyone is interested. You can google EFT or just go to tapintoheaven.com and look at the left sidebar for EFT, click it, then in the same sidebar a submenu will show up. click procedure, english chart and tips. Don't buy anything anywhere, just take advantage of the free charts....it's enough. I'm desperate again, enough to try something so cheesy LOL but if it may have worked on Bell's, it might just work. I just hate meds!
oh yeah, I was wondering too, if you just happen to scratch with a fingernail, just because you can't wait to get to some cotton....does it feel like you are scratching a severe sunburn? I haven't heard mention of that. other than that, I think I share all the same symptoms. :(
I have been getting "ear infections" for years now but they only seemed to be in the winter, they seem to have got worse since i had a really bad infection where the side of my face swelled (not good) got tablets and eardrops for it but when i was driving i went dizzy on the motorway due to the infection. Ever since then they have got much much worse! Last year i had one every month. I have been going back to my docs and the keep giving me ear drops which seem to work but when u stop it comes back. I have asked to be reffered to an ENT but they wont reffer me which is really bugging me as i want to know whats wrong and to prove im not going mad lol. I currently have a ear infection and a small lump behind my ear which im using  an ear spray with anitbotics in. I have also been told i have exzma in my ears. I am constanly in pain with it, v itchy and wet in a morning. I am 23 and im getting sick and tiered. does anybody know wat i can do to get my doc to reffer me lol
Oh my god this is amazing reading all these comments, i have the exact same thing, sore, itchy, crusty, weepy and smelly ears, i scratch and pick the crust off and it weeps the fluid over and over, the only time i didnt have this problem was when i was pregnant, it cleared right up, all the eczema i get on my body cleared up, but now it has come back in wee patches on my face but my ears are soooo bad and sore.  I live in NZ so what is the best medicine i can get?? i have been to the doctor several times and been prescribed different drops but none of them have worked, please help, i'm so over the pain and itch.
I get bad ear drum & canal pain and sores on exterior ears, they don't itch, this comes and goes with head and neck pain and gets worse before better. the ear is hot and my face and head gets hot like I have a fever, it conmes and goes about every other week, this has been going on for so long and also when this all starts up I also get pain in my neck and shoulder
I suffer with the EXACT same problem and I've been told by the doctors to not clean my ears.  After trying this I found that doesn't work and have found nothing does.  I am plagued with with ear infections and am now at a point where I can't take going to the docs anymore to be told the same things over and over.
The bad news I have for you is that my grandma suffered with the same thing but in only 1 (luckily for her!) and eventually went deaf in that ear.  I've started to notice that on really bad episodes the affected ear (if not both) has now got to the point that it swells up so much that I can hardly hear anything.  I've also noticed that the clear liquid you refer to starts to turn a yukky green colour and I wake in the morning with a wet sticky pillow.  Not nice to say the least and the last time I went to the docs with this problem I was told that it is just something I've got to learn to live with.  Obviously that remark was from someone who does not suffer this otherwise they would not have said that!!!!!
I've tried numerous solutions, ear drops, creams, etc and NOTHING WORKS.  Well it clears it up for a short while then it comes back with a vengence.  I've not suffered with this quite as long as you - out 9yrs - and I'm only 27!
I hope you find something that works I would not wish this on my worst enemy x
bb
With my doctors consent I have been using oil of oregano. It removes the itching immediately and controls the infections. I am at the point now of also having the eczema around the base of my nose.Again oil of oregano helps but I find myself having to use this on a regular basis. How can I diagnose any allergies I may have that would contribute to the eczema? Is it ever possible to get rid of this problem?
LMOCO
I have most of the same issues as others but have been lucky enough to only dealt with it a few times (so far)
I am having inner ear sharp stabbing pain (which makes me normally believe it is a ear infection) then
some itching not much but gets the flaking then leaking . I am wondering if the sharp pain is from the leaking going down the canal.

Today is the first time that when i went to a urgent care the doc there told me it was not a ear infection it was eczema. But it sure hurts like heck!!! Right now infact. Took some motrin and i am praying that it helps soon. I also read the one post about the earrings possible allergic reaction. Well in my left ear I happe to have 3 earrings and they are cheapos (not real)! So I took them out right away. I got some cream for my ear does anyone know how long the pain will last. I am leaving in two days for a LONG road trip 18 hours wish me luck for the pain to go soon....

Thanks for allll your posts!!!
This is all very interesting. I have been suffering with this for the last few months and my GP keeps telling me I have dry ears, nothing more, and that I need to leave them alone. Leave them alone or don't, it doesn't matter. I still have the dead skin that peels out of them and I can still smell them. If I resist scratching I don't get so much of the clear fluid coming out. She recommended baby oil or olive oil on a cotton ball in the ears a couple times a day. Well, that isn't working. However, now that I hear eczema, I have a GREAT idea. I have eczema in other places on my body and I have found that even just 1 day of using Aquaphor healing ointment (it comes in a tube or a jar and has the consistency of Vaseline) the condition resolves almost completely. So, tonight when I get home from work I am putting Aquaphor in my ears. I will let you know how that turns out. I found this stuff when my grandmother had radiation therapy for cancer and we would put it on her skin which was badly burned and blistered from the treatment. It is used quite often for burns. Anyhow, her doctor was amazed that her skin was as soft and supple after radiation as it was before she started. Most peoples' skin becomes thick and ridden with scar tissue and never looks the same after radiation therapy. Aquaphor is amazing stuff, I use it on my lips as well. It has no flavor or smell. Just a thought. Again, I will keep everyone posted.
So, I promised to keep everyone posted so here I am. I have been using Aquaphor all weekend. My left ear was so raw, sore and swollen I couldn't even wear headphones. It killed to even get the q-tip in with the Aquaphor on it. However, by the next day the swelling had gone down and the soreness was almost non-existent. I used it 3-4 times a day for the first 2 days, and then 1-2 times a day (morning and night) over the weekend. All the dry skin in my ears just fell out as if it wasn't attached to anything. I have no more dry dead skin in my ears and VERY little itching. The only time I notice the itching is when I put the q-tip in to reapply the ointment. It has worked amazingly, I am happy to report. I am hearing better out of both ears and no more pain whatsoever. I still start each day with a q-tip of Aquaphor in each ear, but it is as if nothing had ever been wrong. I highly recommend this to anyone with these ear problems.

I don't know how long I will need to keep up my treatments, but I am going to give it a week to fully heal up and see if I can go a little bit of time without the ointment.

I wish everyone the best of luck with this. It has been a long miserable journey to find something that works, but I did. Aquaphor can be found at any store, Walmart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, even grocery stores. Just remember it has to be the Aquaphor "Healing Ointment". It works for every dry skin problem I have.
I have been suffering with this same problem for a couple of months now and have been freaking out not knowing what it was or could be.  My daughter told me my brains were leaking out of my ears LOLOL  Anyway, I am going to try some of these things and a HUGE THANK YOU to womever started this thread so the rest of us that didn't know what it was, now know!!!  TY TY TY for all the suggestions.  Please keep posting on the aquaphor healing cream.  I just got a couple of kitties about a month before this started, so I'm thinking it must be them : (      I do not have eczema anywhere else on my body though.

Also, one last note, please be VERY careful what you put in your ears!!!  Rule of thumb, nothing smaller then your elbow lol.  Please do not put paper clips and tooth picks in your ears, that hurt my ears just to read that!!!  I am a massage therapist, so I do like the natural products when possible.

Thank you all for sharing.  
I had posted a question earlier but can't seem to find it now.  I'm glad I found this form.  I have the same problems as everyone else. Dry itchy ears, seeping, and even swelling of the ear. Mine has been going on for the past ten years but has recently gotten a lot worse.  I have tried every kind of medication possible during that time until they finally narrowed it down to a bacterial infection in the ear canal.  Since then I have tried all kinds of drops for the inside of my ear and oils and creams for the outside.  I have a great ENT that I have complete faith in and he has been suctioning out my ears every week for the past six months.  Even this does not cure the problem.  What I have been told is the dry skin gets into my ears, mixes with a little water which then creates the bacteria and drainage. With the new oils, filling my ear with boric acid powder and, weekly suctioning, the drainage has almost stopped but one week my ears will be fine, the next week I will have full blown problems again.  He sent me to a specialist in Columbus who is going to do surgery to enlarge my ear canal (no tubes).  The specialist said this will allow air to flow more freely into my canal and should stop the retaining of the water that causes the bacteria.  At this point I am willing to try anything.  I go in on Nov. 1st, and I have been told it will probably be three months before the swelling and numbness leave my ear.  After that I should see rapid improvement and reach the point where I don't have to be concerned with water in my ear.  I will then have the second ear done.  I will try to keep everyone informed on my progress if you are interested.  Has anyone else ever heard of this or tried it?
I can't believe I stumbled onto this forum.  I really thought i was alone with this problem.  It's been 5 long years. I have the typical symptoms of  inner ear itching, clear fluid leaking ears that crust over and on my bad days I can feel the interior painful swelling of my ear drum.  I have had little to no relief unless I am given Keflex antibiotic or steroids both oral or cream.  Both of which I do not want in my body.   Last night was my worst night ever.  The itching commenced at 3 am and the fluid leaking immediately followed.  I swear my pillow was soaked!  I flew to the mirror in fear that all the liquid was blood.  Thank god it wasn't. I finally changed linens and stuffed a cotton ball in my ear to sop it up.  There is no relief in site.  I have read so many ideas this morning on this forum and I am willing to give them a try.  Thanks everyone.  I am crossing my fingers something works this time!  
wow. i had seen many doctors that said "you have an allergy, take a pill" and went on their merry way. i've never met anyone who has this same problem! my new doctor yesterday told me it's eczema and prescribed me a steroid cream. she said it won't fix the problem but is a temporary solution. i've only had this problem for a year now. i don't understand where it came from and i'm afraid it is never going away? i'm 25. i have ASTHMA. how many of you have ASTHMA? i feel like that might be a common thread. i am sensitive to many things already. i'm going to get an allergy test and/or just start deleting things from my diet to figure out what is causing this. thanks so much for starting this thread. it's nice to know i'm not alone.
I've been interested reading the posts within this thread. I've always had dry crusty ears (vs. the usual waxy), but no problems until the last several months. My left ear especially has huge flakes coming out. The itching isn't too bad, but enough that a little scratch inside with my fingernail produces chunks of dead flaky skin. I work them out, then my ear canal gets tender and wet. The next day the chunks are back. I swear if I didn't remove them, my canal would be totally blocked.

I've guessed this to be caused because I wear earplugs to sleep (my husband snores loudly). I also figure that it's mostly my left ear because that's the side I sleep on.

Now I'm wondering if this is related to other problems I've had (& continue to)... I also have a dry, flaky patch of skin above and around my right ear, within the hairline. I've tried special shampoos including Head & Shoulders & T/Gel and some with tea oil, but they only seem to dry out the skin more. It seems worst right after shampooing. Because my skin is so dry, I only shower/shampoo every 2-3 days.

My dermatologist recommended applying pure coconut oil inside my ear and also on my dry scalp area... Doesn't seem to help.

Now, for the last 3 weeks my lips have become terribly chapped. I am constantly putting lip balms on and have had to avoid my husband's frequent kisses (he has a mustache). I'm just getting over a cold sore that attacked my upper lip as well.

More privately, but perhaps related to the other skin conditions... For the past 5 years I've had frequent yeast infections. Over-the-counter treatments work briefly. Prescriptions for creams and pills have worked better. Whether it's another yeast infection, or something else, the crease of my butt has cracked, causing itching and pain.

Recently my husband has had what I believe is athlete's foot plus jock itch. Now, I'm wondering if we're infecting each other with some sort of yeast infection?

Re-reading my post, it sounds like both of us need to be hauled in for checkups! If this wasn't so unnerving and pesky, it would be humorous! But we're not laughing!

Any ideas what might be happening to our skin???

I'm not having much confidence in doctors so far and have seen more educated suggestions on this thread than within the offices of my regular doctor or my dermatologist! Thanks!
Sufferers
As many of you have said, it is so nice to read this post and know I'm not alone!  Thank you to all with suggestions and advice.  Luckily, I haven't been suffering quite as long as many of you.  Only within the past year, and mostly the past couple months have I had the same symptoms with my ear.  I don't have (and haven't had in a couple years) health insurance- I try not to depend on doctors and medications prescribed by them.  (sometimes I feel they misdiagnose or prescribe prescriptions just so we keep coming back)  I prefer if possible to let my body heal on its own, maybe using some natural remedies.  Though, I have been to an urgent care when symptoms and pain have gotten too extreme.  I also have eczema on my hands pretty bad and a few other spots that sometimes show up on my face and other parts of my body.  I did not have these issues when I was younger (ears or hands), and it really only started when I was pregnant. I also acquired an allergy to milk (though I grew up drinking it everyday!)  Over the past 7-8 years and moving to another state (SC), my eczema on my hands has gotten worse.  It's mostly on my pinky thru middle fingers, but they get soo dry, itch terribly, swell up, weep this clear sticky liquid, and eventually flakes of skin coming off, cracking and bleeding.  It’s so embarrassing, I feel like a leper, and I can't even wear my wedding rings anymore!  It really only happens this time of year, the fall/winter when it's colder and drier, but also sometimes when I am stressed, drink large amounts of alcohol, or come in contact with something that causes it to flare up (an allergen).  When I went to the doc in May for my ear infection, he prescribed me 5 different medications.  After only taking the antibiotic and ear drops, it seemed to get better, for a while. (Now that I look back on it, he had said my ear was really dried out, with flaky skin.)  Over the summer, I noticed a lil amount of dry flaking skin and liquid, but I figured it may be from swimming in the ocean a lot.  Now my ear has once again (along with my hands) gotten really bad.  Before reading this post, about a week ago, I read olive oil and garlic both are good natural healers/remedies of dry skin, ear infections, and other as well.  I chopped up some fresh, raw garlic, mixed in olive oil and then applied to my hands, and a few drops in my ear (it's only in my right ear).  This seemed to help with the pain and itching, and I thought the appearance of my hands was getting better.  I applied it for a few days, using the same concoction I originally made.  Well after the garlic infused more and there was less oil, I felt it may be too strong and quit using. Olive oil alone is good for your skin, just is sometimes a lil greasy.  I also use Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream that says it's for Eczema.  It helps better than any other lotions and creams, but I have to constantly reapply. Last night I read that a lack in probiotics can cause eczema and other bacteria.  Eating yogurt with probiotics and even applying to skin may help.  Most have heard how they help the digestive track.  I ate a little last night and applied to my hands.  So far, it's quite calming, and no itching, but I'm going to try a more natural, organic kind since the one I tried was vanilla flavored and had sugar and other additives.  I am also trying to watch my diet more and eat organic or at least unprocessed foods.  These unnatural fatty foods many of us eat these days are harming our bodies and causing these issues a lot of times.  I'm going to experiment a bit and see what works the best for me.  One other note, many antibiotics cause yeast infections bc they kill the bad, but also the good bacteria you need.  Hopefully this info helps some, and if anyone tries the yogurt, please let me know your results!
I have the exact same cyclical itching, oozing, leaking, crusting, peeling ear eczema as described above. I have had this for 7 years non stop now. The dermatologist told me it was sebhorric dermatitis about 5 years ago and I have used Trimovate triple action cream (antifungal, hydrocortizone, antibiotic) and it does clear it up but it always come back. I have been searching and trying everything to get an answer to what might be the cause and cure for it during the years. Homeopathy, anti candida diets with no success. Now interestingly I have suddenly realized there may be a link to my severe nickel allergy. Not by contact as I stopped wearing any jewellery with nickel at least 20 years ago, but by ingesting it! Almost all food contain some nickel so it is very difficult to completely eliminate it but there are some very high content nickel foods that definitely start off flare ups in my ears. My dermatologist at King's college hospital in London has also agreed that it would be a very good idea for me to try a 6 month elimination diet. There is a link between longterm nickel sufferers suddenly developing chronic eczema on other parts of their body that may not even be in contact with nickel just by ingesting nickel in the body. Google "nickel free diet" and you can see for yourselves. There is a fantastic Danish website (a country where a lot of research into nickel allergy has been done) with food lists showing nickel content in most foods. Unfortunately it is in Danish but can be translated on Google. I am a Swedish person living in England so I do understand the Danish.

http://www.foedevareallergi.dk/Hvad_skal_du_undgaa/Mad_med_meget_nikkel/lister_over_nikkel_i_mad/nikkel_i_mad_efter_stigende_indhold/nikkel_i_mad_efter_stigende_indhold.htm

The worst foods for me to eat with the highest content and which seem to spark off itching/oozing in my ear almost within just a few hours after eating them are....chocolate/cocoa powder, nuts, dried fruit, soya beans/soyaflour, avocado, lentils, pulses, oats, the list is endless. The best foods to eat on a nickel free diet are meat, dairy products, eggs, white refined bread..... there is some information on the internet about all of this, I just thought it would be interesting for you all to hear my story. I am in the early stages of trying the diet so will see if it clears up my eczema in the end. Good luck to everyone in finding a cure.
And I thought I was going mad! Thank goodness for 'google' and this forum! I have had an ear infection for the past 18 months and have been from one dr to another each giving their own opinion with nothing helping! hat started off as an infection and pain has now become eczema! Seriously if it wasn't for the fact that I am a bit vain and need to wear ear rings, I would cut OFF MY ITCHY EAR!!  My dr has told me that I must just accept this as part of my life! well that is all ell and good but he is not the one with the itch, the burn, the swelling and the general feeling of being off balance! I am so grateful for this forum. I will be trying some of the medications as suggested, not sure if I can find them here in south africa though, but will keep everyone updated if I find a cure!
I'm SOOOOO grateful I found this discussion. What first started was a small patch on my left cheek last November. I was laid of in mid March of 2010 and three weeks later I had a full blown rash all over my face. My ears had been irritated for months but I didn't see the connection. I have been in and out of the drs office all year and all they try to do is pawn steroids on me. I have tried most natural at home methods to reduce inflammation. Some days I wake up and am totally fine, it's not irritated, no inflammation, nothing. Other days I wake up and it goes on for weeks. I cannot figure out what triggers it beside knowing that the weather and stress somewhat exacerbates the symptoms.Last week I started getting the full blown behind the ears yellow discharge and scales. I can't take it. I am at a loss. I have found that behind the ears and most of what is posted here is related to Seborrhoeic Excema. People with this have a reduced resistance to yeast, which explains the beer offsets for some. It's not contagious or related to diet, but can be worsened by certain yeast present in the system. I am going to try probiotics today. I have yogurt on a pretty regular basis but I think this is the next step since I am so plagued by this. I have rashes all over my shoulders, breasts, and back. It's extemely painful and itchy. Thank you for all your stories and suggestions!
I noticed flaking on the back of my ear in 9th grade and it soon developed into a "cut" in the crease of my ear that never healed.  It would leak a clear fluid, then get flakey and crusty, which was particularly gross as it would get on my hair.  It was itchy, painful, and embarrassing as it was visible any time I put my hair up, which was a constant necessity as I was an athlete.  I endured it for years, trying many different topical creams prescribed to me.  One day, in my sophomore year of college, I sat at my desk trying to stop the "weeping" with a paper towel.  I was miserable and couldn't take it any more, so, in an act of desperation, I opened up a packet of salt from my lunch, blotted my ear dry, and dumped the salt into the open wound (I heard that salt cleanses things).  I was in intense pain, as you can imagine, for several minutes and my ear started weeping profusely, but I just sat there for about 10 minutes, letting the salt do its job.  I finally rinsed the salt out and dried the area.  It's been eight years since that day, and I have never had a problem since that day.  I don't know what in the world was wrong that salt was the solution, but all I know is that of the doctors who gave me treatment for my diagnosed eczema, none of them ever told me to use salt.   I've never heard anyone suggest it, but if it cured me, I think its certainly worth a try, especially if you're at your wits end as I was!

Also, I had an ear infection for a year.  I would go to the dr, get an antibiotic, my symptoms would go away for about a month, then reappear.  I finally broke down and went to an ENT when I ended up having discharge that looked and felt like cheek cells with black (moldy looking) and an odor (like mildew) coming from my ear.  He did a culture and found that I had a staph infection. He prescribed a really strong antibiotic drop and had me put drops of vinegar in my ear, followed by alcohol to dry it out.  I haven't had any problems since.
Incidentally, I think my success story with salt is corroberated by the earlier story of the man who, as a child found relief from his eczema after getting in the waters near Waikiki.  It was probably just the salt water bath that did it.  Wouldn't it be something if all this time we were paying bukus of money for creams that don't work when the real cure was in our kitchen the whole time?  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
I , like everyone on this thread, have been hampered by this eczema stuff. I have all the symptoms- drainage, itch, crusting,clogged up ear canals. Mine started about 5-6 yrs ago. I have a chronic ear wax buildup problem and treat it with hydrogen peroxide and a rubber nasal syringe. I did a routine clean out of ear wax and my ear never cleared out. I did this 3 times and it just wasn't working. I finally went to my internist, he prescribed antibiotics. It came back and it had morphed into something else. I went to an ENT and he diagnosed it as this eczema, and prescribed Triamcinolone .He also did the vacuum treatment a couple times. I used it  for about a week, and it seemed to clear up but always comes back.  This has been going on for about 3-4 years now. I think I am developing an immunity to the cream  I also think it only treats the symptoms, like cortisone steroids, not the underlying problem. I have done frequent google searches to find  different treatments
After reading thru all the posts I have deducted that this stuff is a bacterial infection, and it has all the classic symptoms. I am now trying Neosporin. I run the tip of a q-tip in the Neosporin and insert it as far into my ear as is comfortable and run it around. After 3 days I am feeling a significant improvement. My eczema has spread to a nostril also so I am doing the same to it. If this works I will be overjoyed with relief from this aggravation. If not I intend to treat it as a fungus instead with any OTC ointment I can find. I am so fed the hell up with this problem impacting my life and health. I just wanted to add my Neosporin idea to this thread. Good luck everyone with whatever treatment works. I really don't think docs have all the answers or know how to treat this stuff. We are pretty much left to our own methods and ideas.
Just a happy follow-up to my previous post. Here’s what I now believe:

1) As long as I keep my ears dry, it’s okay to use a small dose of hydrocortisone whenever needed (even four times daily). When I wash hair, I put cotton in my ears first, then cover the cotton with petroleum jelly to prevent water from reaching the ears. I check my ears regularly for scale and if I see it (or if they itch—which seldom happens now) I put “Dermarest” (an over-the-counter cream with zinc and hydrocortisone) on a Q-tip and put it on the outside of the ear canal. Any hydrocortisone cream would probably work.

2) The watery, clear ooze described in so many posts (that I’m also too familiar with) is a clear indication that you need to go DIRECTLY to the ENT to get either suction and ear drops or ear drops! Your ears are infected if they’re seeping liquid ooze. Body’s simply saying, ‘help!’

My ENT convinced me that my ear problems occur when 1) I get my ears wet AND 2) when dry skin scale enters the ear canal. Those two factors can wreck havoc on my ears. The I-want-my-ears-to-heal-naturally phase is over, but I’m so much happier now. A very small dose of hydrocortisone (after ear drops took care of the infection) has solved my problem for at least three months. I’m so relieved! Good luck to you too.
I am having great success with my Neosporin  triple antibiotic ointment treatment idea. No more clogged up ear canals, no more drainage or crusting, or itching. It is gone. Dry ear canals, and normal hearing. Wow, what a relief. Now , just keep my ears free from bacterial debris and dry and I think I should be out of the woods on this And it has worked on my nostril too. Been applying the ointment once a day for the past 5-6 days. Great results. Hope someone else can use this idea. .
I am a long time q-tip user, but only recently developed the itchy, scaly, leaky ears that plaguing you all as well.  It is gross.  I haven't found a workable cure yet, but wanted to pass along a remedy that does bring some relief.  Tea tree oil.  Make sure you use the gentle strength though, because it can burn.  I usually put some on a q-tip (just dampened, not soaked) and swirl it in my ear.  Afterwards, I remove the excess with a dry q-tip.  It really helps alleviate the itching.
Good luck to you all and happy new year!
I am glad I found this forum. I had surgery on my left ear over a year ago, to repair a hole in my ear bone. Since that time, 14 months later, my ear is STILL numb and I have a fullness sensation in my ear as well as eczema. My symptoms are: itching, pain (deep pain inside the ear), fullness and I can feel moisture behind my eardrum. NO,my ear doesn't leak fluid.
The doctor has prescribed DermOptic for the second time around. In addiition to the awful headaches I get, it is NOT HELPING. I don't know what to do!  Has anyone suffered like this and should I stick with the DermOptic or is there something that works better and will clear up this condition. I have also noticed my right ear having similar symptoms.
Please help me. By the way, I was diagnosed with external otitis, if that helps.
Thank you!
smorris0312
I have read all of the posts here and this is directed to those with itchy and congested ears. My doctor who practices oriental medicine told me to AVOID all dairy products and sugar for two weeks at least. It is a fungus and a fungus feeds on sugar, dairy ( creates the mucous) and wheat has gluten and gluten can aggravate yeast. Your local health food store can help you with this. I hope it helps. :-)
I agree with the sugar (didn't know about the dairy)  and oh yes the yeast.  I'm going to give this a 2 wk. try.  I noticed when I eat pretzels my ears flare up bad.  Have been using Dermotic Oil for years.  Works but no cure.  I'm also going to try the Aquaphora that someone else mentioned.  Makes sense.  My daughter, son and sister all have really bad eczema and I never have except in my ears.  Q-tips score the inside of your ears and makes it worse.  Avoid at all costs.  I can say it but I still grab one once in awhile.  It ***** going through life always being aware of the itch going on in your ears.
Hi there!
I read somewhere, maybe it was this forum where this person had conjested ears everytime they ate pretzels.......and now you say the same thing too! I eat pretzels, but I buy the gluten free kinds. I have used Dermoptic drops with very little relief.
I am trying the hydrocortisone cream. I do avoid Q-tips but use them to apply the cream.
Oh yes, when you are in the shower and washing your hair, dad a little vaseline on a cotton ball and insert that just inside your ear. It is important to keep the ears dry as much as possible..........moisture also feeds the fungus.
Good Luck...........let me know how it goes :-)
I suffered for over 20 years with eczema in my ears.  When it flared it was very itchy and leaked a fluid.  I was always diagnosed Hydro Cortisone by my doctor, but after 20 years of this cycle, and the failure of my Western minded Doctor, I turned to Chinese medicine and found my cure.  It only took a short time for my ears to heal, and they very rarely begin to flare up again but when they do, one application of the Chinese medicine cures it.  The medicine is called Shi Zhen Ling and you can find many suppliers via Google. Happy healing!
I have had this issue for close to 7 years since I was 24.  I am an electrician, and it all seems to started when I first started using ear plugs regularly.  Anyway at the worst condition of the ears, the Naturopath who looked at them said it looked like a war zone.

Over the last few years though, the problem has healed up quite a bit.  Its not quite perfect, but its getting better.  I also had a lot of problems that seemed to go along with it.  I had digestion problems, joint inflammation, depression, dry skin, allergies, and a bunch of other stuff.  But the root of the problem appeared to be inflammation.  Inflammation is the biggest health issue in north america.  This and possibly poor circulation.

Anyway  I started trying out several different herbs for inflammation, and some work really well.  Others I am in the process of using.

The biggest one that works well is niacin.  It has to be the flushing kind (not niacinimide), I take 1000mg twice a day.  Normally my ears swell up and close.  When I take the niacin the reaction appears to subside, especially the swelling.  There are still issues a bit, but it appears to be ok.  At first there is flushing, and it can be intense.  But after a couple days I found if I take it regularly I barely get any noticeable flushing.  Its a b vitamin so its pretty safe.  I also noticed my tongue went from white and patchy to reddish pink and smooth.  That and when I use a tongue scraper it is taking much less bacteria off the tongue.

I havent taken the tests, but a person may want to get inflammation tests.  Things like CRP and what not can show whats going on somewhat inflammation wise.  I just find that the certain herbs and vitamins I am taking really work.

Vitamin C (naturally sourced if possible) works really well.  I take 6000 mg a day, and find it helps with inflammation and recovery.

I am also trying Curcumin right now, and think it helps (tumeric).  But it can take up to two months before a person sees results.  I am in my first week.

The ears also appear to cycle between inflammation and regular periods.  They also release two types of fluids during this time in my experience.  One during an inflammation period.  Its normally yellow.  Then when the inflammation period is over, they produce a watery kind of fluid.  The ears normally dont itch when the water comes out.  They feel kinda relieved when the watery fluid comes out.

There are several herbs and vitamins a person can take to help with recovery too.  I know the body uses vitamin c to make collegen.  Zinc, vitamin D, and a bunch of other things help the skin out.  

Vitamin D also helps with the depression here in canada, not enough sun.  So I find I dont get flare ups as often.

I also find its a good idea to keep the ears from drying out with a good oil or ointment.  Dont make the mistake of using something that will aggravate it like tea tree oil or cinnamon oil.  I have used these and it makes things worse.  THis is not a fungal infection...  this is simply inflammation.  You want something that will sooth the ears, not anger them even more.

Get some exercise if you can, just to get the circulation going.  I find it helps a lot.  I also find the ears are the most inflammed typically after waking up.. because I have been laying down for several hours.

Emotions are huge with the ears.  I find this was the biggest influence on what actually triggers the inflammation.  When I was in my deepest depression, was when I had the hugest flare ups in the ears.  Anger and everything else.  You might want to get some spiritual help with that.  I like the stuff by Dr. David R Hawkins... it helped me big time.

I personally found that food did not seem to aggravate the ears.  But only when I excessed in them did they.  So if I ate too much fruit, or to much sugar, to many veggies... or loads of meat.  To much pop... so everything in moderation worked for me.

As for circulation, I used dr. strauss heart drops.  They work fantasticly for me... and I find it does help a bit with the ears.

Anyway this is what works for me, and the condition over the three years has healed up dramatically.  I no longer take medication, but I mean taking medication is not a bad thing.  I was great full for the ear drops that worked for me. If healing continues as it has over the last 3 years,  I wont even be having flare ups any more fairly soon.  I strongly recommend trying different regimens to see what works for you.
I also found chewing gum can help get the swelling down after waking up.  I guess just moving the fluids around the ear by chewing.  I dont know, but it helps in my experience. :)
I have suffered from this a long time but it was intermittent and always felt doctors didn't care, then had severe swelling/itch etc for about 4 months so he eventually referred me to ENT. Been visiting ENT now every 1-2 weeks for past 18months and he also referred me to dermatologist. I have used many lotions and potions over this time, but fucibet cream and gentisone drops seem to be keeping it at bay just now, but I am also awaiting on an operation to widen my ear canals as this seems to be the main recurring cause of my eczema. My skin has thickened considerably in the ear canal and for me to have any chance of "cure" this seems to be my next best option. There is about 6 month waiting list but gives me something hopeful to cling to!! Never know maybe one day I'll be itchy ear free.
I've been dealing with this for about 2 years now. Moist-yet-flaky ears that are worst when I wake up in the mornings. Some mornings it feels like I could just tip my head over and pour syrup out of my ear, though thankfully it's never enough to actually collect outside of my ear. Reading some of the horror stories here, I feel so bad for the people whose ears gush on their pillowcases! D:

I thought it was an infection at first, but when I went to the Otolaryngologist (ear nose & throat doctor) he said it was eczema and pulled a giant, grotesque wax/skin plug out of my ear. I was mortified but also relieved that it wasn't an infection.

Since then I've tried various cremes, prescription ointments, and homeopathic remedies. My favorite is magnesium chloride dissolved in warm water. I can make it as strong or as weak as I want, and it really works on ALL my skin problems; it even makes my elbows soft and smooth after just one application. You can buy it pre-made under the general name "magnesium oil", but I just get the flakes and make it myself. If you can't find magnesium chloride, just use epsom salt; it's practically the same thing. I put some of the solution on a q-tip and swab my ear after cleaning with a Clinere ear cleaner. They sell those at Walgreens & Amazon; I buy them in bulk because they are SO good. They're basically spoons for your ear, you can really get all the gunk. LOL they ought to send me a few packs since I'm advertising for them.

After cleaning with the Clinere, swabbing with the magnesium and letting it dry, I seal everything with some Cerave/Cetaphil/Epicream/Vanicream moisturizer on a q-tip. Doesn't matter which one, just as long as it is simple, no fragrances, dyes, etc. with lots of ceramides and triglycerides. My ears feel so good after doing this; the skin gets warm from the magnesium working, and the flaking is stopped for the night. It's like a warm, secure, healing feeling.

When I do wash my ears, I use a blue bulb thingy and some more magnesium water. Sometimes I use vinegar & water 1:1, but I try to keep the pH in my ear balanced, so I don't use too many acids. Another cream I use is La Glace brand Hand & Nail Creme. I loved it as a hand moisturizer first, then when I read the back I saw the main ingredient was magnesium aspartate, and the second was zinc gluconate, then copper. I'm in love with anything magnesium now, and everyone knows that zinc is good for you and your skin, and copper probably does something useful too (lol). It also has Scutellaria, which is an anti-inflammatory herb which helps psorasis, so I'm sure it helps with eczema. It also fits in my purse, so I can apply it throughout the day as needed. Great stuff. (la glace, you send me some free bottles too!)

I hope this helps someone. I hate prescriptions and drugs; I'd much rather just squirt some salt in my ear and call it a day, lol. I will post back here in a few weeks to let everyone know how this treatment plan is continuing to work for me, especially as the weather changes from dry in the winter, to humid in the spring. I also just bought some Shi Zhen Ling cream based off a previous commentator's recommendation (on Feb 03, 2011 12:31PM), so when it arrives, I'll test it out too. It probably has scutellaria in it too, since it's used a lot in Chinese medicine. I'll report back! Guinea pig at your service, lol.

P.S. I was also going to try UV therapy, but I couldn't find a UV-B penlight to shine in my ear, only UV-A. If someone has tried this before, please post and tell how you did it! Thanks.
In my case. my problem with eczema started with swimmer's ear, which was treated for 4 years by lazy doctors with cortisone cream and antibiotic ear drops, leaving me uncured and miserable until both ears exploded with eczema, and I ended up in the hospital. After allergy  testing by a a competent allergist, it was found that I had a strong allergy to yeast, parabens, and mold. The allergist wisely got the eczema under control by using high doses of prednisone and a normal course of oral ketoconazole. The reason for ketokonazole? - a common problem that happens with swimmers ear is that the drops which kill the bacteria associated with swimmer's ear, allow normal yeast which is on your body (e.g., skin of ear cannal) to overgrow, taking the place, so-to-speak, of the bacteria. The docs had treated me with cortisone for 4 years w/o a cure, which also sensitized me to cortisone. So,  I also developed an allergy to cortisone and yeast/mold and preservatives. So you should now see why this is a persistent problem. And beware - common treatments may seem to work for a while, but the problem persists because you have developed a strong allergy of some kind to something in your environment.  The treatment helps, but it will come back whenever the underlying cause rares it's head again. Because you may have used too much cortisone, like myself,  you end up being sensitive to it as well, although it temporarily relieves soreness. So, this is probably going to become a chronic problem to some degree, but is completely manageable if you can find a decent doctor - could be an ENT or allergist.  This may involve a great deal of work on your part  (I am just being honest with you). So how do you get it under control? This involves a course of prednisone, which will turn off the eczema and allow for healing. Secondly you need a decent antihistamine.
I would suggest Xyzal, along with Benadryl when needed. As long as you are being exposed to any allergen (e.g., yeast in your ear or pollen in the air) you need to be on an antihistamine. You will probably need to get your ears cleaned out from time to time by an ENT, as crud builds up in your ears, and  yeast and bacteria like this (Yummy). There are several medicines you can use to get the yeast under control, of course the best is an oral anti-fungal, but you may have to use 1 percent  lotrimin ear drops (not cream) or cresylate. Now cresylate and even lotrimin can irritate your ears so you may not see complete resolution until the yeast is under control. You can get this under control and be completely comfortable again. Avoid water, q tips, or scratching your ear, no matter how pleasant it is.The itching means that your allergy is acting up, and scratching will only stimulate the growth of yeast and other stuff because it makes the skin warm and moist. The dermotic oil mentioned above can be a help occasionally but you, may, like me be allergic to the much more primitive but molecularly similar cortisone, and so the oil must be used carefully and sparingly.The compound in the dermotic oil has a slightly modified chemical structure, lessening the chance of an allergic response.  Benadryl should help but will make you sleeply unless you use it frequently so should only be used once in a while with Xysal. Even a decongestant will help some, as well as an anti-inflammatory 0TC. Keep your ears dry. However, lack of moisture can dry the skin, triggering the eczema. For the extremely sensitive, only vaseline may work, used sparingly on the outer ear and outer ear canal. I believe that the reason some folks get better on naturopathic compounds is because they don't contain chemicals you will likely have been sensitized to from previous use AND they provide some protection and "moisture."  Dryness will trigger the eczema. You might find a humidifier helps.  A shampoo which contains ketoconazole might help too. This program -(1) a high enough dosage of prednisone to temporarily "turn off (but not cure)" the crusty, scaly symptoms and (2) the careful management of the underlying allergic reaction  has worked for me for 50 years. Remember, most docs do not understand this problem because it would require knowledge outside of their field, and this problem transcends allergy and immunology, infectious disease, ENT, and some other areas. Believe me, I know all about the crusty, leaky, itchy, wet,nasty problem. And above all else, do not get discouraged because this is relatively easy to solve. And remember also, this problem has been in the literature for over a hundred years, when they used arsenic and various skin ointments to cure it. In fact, this problem was probably treated by the ancients with just plain old vinegar.
Just to be clear - you treat with prednisone and anti-fungal at same time
Also outer ear - keep moist; inner ear canal - keep dry
Just wanted to put this post out here for anyone having leaking ear issues. I suffered with this for the past five years. Also chronic sinus infections one right after another trips to the doctors were adding up and killing my pocket book. I felt like I had a brain fog (my doctor kept saying it was allergies). I also had stomach problems (on and off). Heartburn was always an issue for me too.  I never linked it all together. Back in December I was having major stomach problems and my cousin suggested for me to try Extra Virgin Coconut Oil-Cold Pressed. She said most of my systems sounded like H-Pylori bacteria or an overgrowth of yeast in my body. Anitbiotics kill good bacteria (I just learned all this doing my research no one ever told me). I thought well it couldn't hurt to try, I was so sick and tired of feeling bad, I was willing to try most anything at this point. I was amazed at the results that I got and the more research I did the more I realized this was the solution to my problem. I'm so thankful for her telling about this!  I never knew it would take care of all these issues I was having! Today it's just been 3 months of using this and I have to say I feel wonderful! I've not had leaking ears (leaking ears are a sign of overgrowth of yeast) not one sinus infection and no more stomach problems!!!! I cancelled my endoscopy a few days ago. I was suppose to be going on Monday for it. Coconut oil all I have to say is it's amazing. I hope this post will help all of you out here searching for answers to your itching ears and other possible problems you might be having. Take one teaspoon to start out with and mix it in oatmeal or cook an egg using the oil. You'll start seeing improvement with in weeks. I even put some in my ears to help and that helped too. You can use this on your skin and it's an amazing moisturizer too! I use it on my face and hair on the weekends while I'm running around cleaning.  I love love love my coconut oil. I've replaced all my oil in my house to coconut oil. It doesn't taste like coconuts either for those of you who don't like coconuts & I'm one of them you can't taste it. Also it's a big help when fighting the flu virus or any other virus too. It contains Lauric acid in it which is found naturally in mothers milk which helps babies fight off infections etc. Please do your research on this before taking my word, I insist! Best of luck to you all. I was so thankful when I found this forum by the way. I felt like I was crazy. My doctors looked at me like I was crazy when I was telling her all this. When I read this I felt like I wasn't alone.  Best of luck to you all!
I think the chronic ear problem (I've had this for 18 years) is a perfect storm of yeast/bacteria/allergens.  So every day I swab with lotrimin, then a few hours later either cipro drops or neosporin, then a few hours later benadryll cream.  Nothing fixes it for good but the more I stick in there better.  A swab of zinc oxide at bedtime is good too.

So here's my dirty secret, I was having to get suctioned once a month and one day I started scraping out the gunk with a bobby pin (works just like those ear cleaners) and now have managed to go suction/deaf free for 5 months.  My ENT knows I do this, his response was 'you gotta do what you gotta do, do whatever works'.

I also have a catheter tip syringe (no needle) and when the inner ear plugs up I stick it in my ear, pull back on the plunger to exert negative pressure in the ear GENTLY and can suck out the icky clump.
WOW... just... WOW. I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm a 10+ year sufferer. I found out 2 years ago that my aunt has been suffering from this for 25 years, and my grandmother suffered from it most of her life. This was not comforting, except that at least I felt like I wasn't alone. Well my aunt and I tried each other's tricks/lotions/incantations.... nothing truly solves the problem.

This problem has led to horrible ear infections... on top of just being ridiculously itchy. I've read some of you have tried to "just not scratch it." IMPOSSIBLE! I have a special nail tool that sits on my desk and is designated for scratching. That is just sad, people. Sad.

I will say, that the ONLY real relief came from my dog's vet. She prescribed an ointment that is called Animax. It's seems half quartizone and have fungal medication. So, soothing, but there's a fungal aspect to this thing. The last ear infection I had turned horribly fungal to the point where the doctor said, "I don't even know what that is." Unbelievable.

I'm going to try some of your ideas, but after the vet said she used the Animax on her own scrapes and cuts, that's all I needed to hear to try it.

Let's race for the cure or something! Sheesh. I have no other ailments other than this, and a couple of allergies (pollen, shellfish). But it *****. Who among us has been able to be normal person and use earbuds? Not me. I mean, I do, but I definitely pay the price later for sure.

I am interested in the yeast theory. Could we all just have a common allergy? Hmmmmmm.....
OMGosh...I really thought I was crazy! Three years ago I was in my pool, went under the water and have problems ever since. ENT Dr said it was esczema also. It itchs so bad that I think I hurt it inside! I have so much wax build up inside, about once a month it leaks so bad I hear the liquid indie and it leaks to the outside. It smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad! What it even more wierd is that all these postings are almost the same. Left ear, esczema, liquid leaking out of ear, smells. This has to be something! Do we all seem crazy?
I appreciate hearing I am not only one, really sounds like all of us have to consider wheat and dairy...but on a joking note:

(ref: xwindak's comment earlier) Do you think my doc will prescribe "Must sit in ocean on Waikiki beach at least once a week"  I think we all should have to at least give it a try!!!!!!  I mean, we have to do what we have to do, right???
I'm 13 years old and I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. However, it was only until yesterday morning that I first experienced the swelling of my ear, and extreme pain. My right ear is not really a problem but, once again, it is only my left ear that is affected. I have come to realise that it seems to be only our left ears that are affected greatly. I was diagnosed with an ear infection and was prescribed with a treatment of antibiotics. I was told that my glands in my neck and left ear had swelled up, as a result of my body reacting from fighting the infection and they would soon go. However, they did not. I have also noticed that my ear is numb, and my ability to hear has weakened. The pain is unbearable, and I just wish that, for once in my life, it would go. I should probably also mention, that when my head is upside down, the pain is greater.
Woke up this morning with the old clogged left ear. I've had this eczema for many years with nary a cure in sight. I have all the symptoms described in previous posts. I've been to many Drs., had the suction, had wicks inserted for weeks to get the infections out, had the antibiotics, had the steroidal creams etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.  I see I'm not alone in this misery. I made a list of everyone's experiences and will try the most promising. Salt is a good preservative and will try that. And I never thought of it as a possible allergy but I also have nose drippage on a regular basis. I can't get near water. Just the thought of water in the ear makes me cringe. I'm afraid to go swimming because i'll get swimmers ear el pronto. I've gotten to the point where it is almost a pleasure to peel a few sheets of skin off my ear. One Dr. told me to never put anything in my ear expect my elbow. At least he had a sense of humor. Another Dr. told me it will never completely go away. So I guess the answer is control of the situation and to not let it get to the itchy, oozy, infection stage. Many good suggestions. Thanks and blessings.
I've had many of the same problems/symptoms as many of you have mentioned, very flaky skin within the 'pinner' or what I would describe as the outer part of the ear, extending into the ear canal itself. Despite every doctors (correct) advice that this should not be scratched, this proves impossible and inevitably leads to the cycle of sore skin, bleeding, clear fluid discharge and finally painfully swollen and blocked ear canal. After trying many treatments, creams etc without much success, I am currently using a treatment which really has helped and my ears are now in better shape than they have been for some years. Firstly I have used a spray treatment called Otomize which contains 0.1% Dexomethasone, 0.5% Neomycin sulphate and 2% acetic acid. This immediately cleared up the swollen ear canal. Following on from this I have used an ointment called Eumovate which contains 0.05% clobetasone butyrate and liquid paraffin, in a very thin coating on the skin of the outer part of the ear. These products may have different brand names outside of the Uk and as always consult with a doctor before using.
Like many of you I am so happy to have found this discussion group. I'm 68 years old and altho I have a severe hearing loss in one ear I haven't had a problem with my ears since I was quite young.  I've only had the flaking and itching for about a year and it seems I'm constantly 'peeling' the inner part of my ear.  It wasn't until I went to get fitted for a new hearing aid that the doctor told me it was probably eczema and now I'm trying to figure out what I can use that won't interfere with my hearing aid.  I've made a list of all the suggestions and I will go thru them over the next few weeks. Will let you all know if I find something magic.  Thank you all for sharing what you have learned and for your suggestions.
I'm back! Okay, so my ears were super awesome and problem-free for about 3 months, but then I just had to go back and use my earbuds again.... boom, problem back. I knew better, but it's impossible to dance with giant headphones on, lol. So what I did to fix my ears was this:

1. Magnesium chloride water. It works wonders. I still use it, maybe 2-4 times a week.
2. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Do not get ANY water in your ear. Wear a shower cap in the shower, then once you get out, swab with a magnesium q-tip, then take a finger and rub some Vanicream as far in the canal as you can get with your pinky, and around the inner ear.
3. Don't use earbuds to listen to your mp3 player. Sweat + bacteria = gross gross grossies.

If you do these things, and eat right, drink lots of water, etc., you won't feel the need to peel off some earsheets because there won't be any earsheets. Keep it moisturized!!!!!

I tried that chinese herbal stuff, Shi Zhen Ling; meh, it did something, but it was very herbal-ly, so it left grit from the roots and what-not. It was okay, but not powerful enough for my liking lol. I did find something even better than Clinere: asian bamboo ear cleaner sticks! Apparently everyone in Taiwan has been using these for thousands of years. They are ear spoons that really grab the gunk! They sell them at amazon, sasa, etc. There is even an American version made of plastic that ***** because it's super small and scratchy, but it has an LED light, so that helps if someone else is cleaning your ears for you.

I plan on going back to my ENT to see if he can grab another chunk outta there, but I wanted to share what really worked for me ^_^ Once I stopped worrying about it so much, it went away. Stress may make it worse. Just moisturize and let go~ Good luck guys!

P.S. If anyone knows where I can get some headphones that stay on while dancing, please share, thx!
OMG others the same as me out there. Iv'e had this for about 7 yrs now. The iching dry skin, yelllow flakes, the leaking (that smells sooo bad), then the constant ear infections from all the gunge in there. This is in both ears.
Thought you might be interested in my story. After numerous visits to the doc and creams - hrdrocortisone etc. my problem persisted. I was sent to the hospital and ENT. I was told it was probably due to swimming both in the pool and the sea. My fav pass time. He sucked out my ears- which insidently hurt like hell. As soon as this was done i would then develop another ear infection. He gave me lotions and potions none of which helped. He then said i had a fungal infection in my ears and prob all through my body (i did have thrush due to the numerous amounts of anti biotics id taken for the infections) i was given a 6 week course of anti fungal tabs. this with the drops and creams seemed to clear my ears. I was signed off from the ENT. As soon as the whole cycle started up again and i got another ear infection. The doc gave me a differnt set of drops and creams, which helped for a while. I think your body develops resistence to them. infact what ever drops i put in my ears now cause an infection as they just seem to mix with the rest of the gunge in there and get clog up th eear more.
To continue my saga, just after i was signed off by the ENT i severe got liver failure and jaundice so bad that i nearly died, no one is quite sure if it was caused by the anti fungal tabs or hepititis from the sea ( not alcohol ). Trouble with taking meds they may fix 1 thing but are the cause something else.
yesterday i went back to the docs again as i have an infection in both ears, on anti biotics again and told yet again there is nothing they can do about it. Its eczema in my ears and bacteria.

I am at my wits end, its impossible to live like this the pain is too intense, never mind the frenetic itching. I'm constantly deaf and finding it hard to do my job. Why is there no cure? I am going to try some of the suggestions here in hope to find a solution. Thank God i'm not alone.
Wow all! I thought I was the only one with eczema in my ears! After reading all your posts I believe its an allergy. I used to live in oregon now live in Arizona and the allergies and eczema began when I moved here! Ughh. I've just dealt with this process: no insurance, put hydrocortisone cream on, if i miss one day or itch with a not perfectly cleaned finger I get an ear infection, pay $200 for cash pay urgent care or specialist, given antibiotics for infection or ear drops that never help orrr recommendations FROM the doctor to use over the counter? Why thought? If hardly any prescriptions work why the hell would OTC?ughhh so annoying working with this problem. I'm getting health insurance soon and think I'll go see a allergist for recommendations because steroids aren't my thing. Thanks for all the support and suggestions. Btw.... One time I had an ear infection and warm oil and vinegar poured into my ear followed by a warm compress did wonders! Well then i got an infection in the other ear, did the same thing and now have the worse infection ever..... GO FIGURE!
I too have suffered from this problem for over 30 years. It seems to have gotten somewhat better as a result of a few changes.

1) I added fish oil supplements. While this apparently is not a traditional treatment, I did have an urgent care doctor tell me that a patient of hers had life threatening eczema that was almost completely cured by taking fish oil. I was there due to ear infections which I believe were related to skipping the fish oil supplements for a week. I still have problems, but not nearly as frequently.
2) I learned I have a wheat sensitivity. I've significantly reduced the amount of wheat in my diet and I suspect that has helped with the ears as well.

I use hydrocortisone creams on occasion, but they don't seem to do a lot of good.

I'd be interested if anyone else has tried this and if it helps. I'm theorizing this is somehow related to diet or allergies or perhaps both.
I have the same thing! I didnt realize it was an actual condition bc I just researched it bc I was kind of concerned. Now that I think about it, I realize this has been going on for several years so I guess it's just allergies? I'm still kinda confused and it's really annoying and agitating
I've had this problem for years.  Been to a few different specialists.  One I was seeing for years (every week).  I was using Garasone drops for years.  I've been on Cloxacillin for long periods of time. I've been hospitalized for really bad infections caused from using Q-tips, and the swelling was just unbearable.  I still use Q-tips to get at the itch, which is severe at at times.  I would never go anywhere without my q-tips.  I've also been in the emergency (hospital)  because I've lost the cotton off the q-tip, and at times they can't even see it when looking inside.  It was plain torture.  FINALLY........I seen a specialist who prescribed Benadryl/Ectosone 0.1%  I can't thank him enough.  It's absolutely the best.  I still use q-tips, even though I know I shouldn't, but I have no choice, It's the only way I can reach "the spot", but this cream works instantly.  It takes the itch away, and stops it from leaking the watery fluid, and also heals it.  It's not a cure, but at least it helps.  I haven't been to another doctor or specialist for infection, or pain for a long time now.  I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE!!!  Hope this helps!!!
I began having these same problems a few years ago, and I am convinced that the onset of menopause and dehydration are at least part of the cause. I drink a lot of caffeine and like most people do not drink enough water.

I notice there is a HUGE difference when I keep myself hydrated. However, after years of probable dehydration, I'm guessing the problem is most likely here to stay. I use over-the-counter cortisone cream with good results.

We are throwing off our body chemistry with our sodas and coffees and teas. Try taking sodas out of your menu completely and cut down on any caffeine and replace these drinks with water (not flavored, carbonated, or sugared water- just water) and I will bet you see a difference.

Think about the new Arizona resident and the people who ate very heavily salted snacks who said the problems got worse. You are dehydrated.
have you guys heard about melaleuca?? they have a cream call renew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  you guys have to try it ! it will clear it right off ! its the best medisin ever ! its a lotion
Same problem. clear liquid, flaking, terrible itching. Ear canal swells in the left ear but not usually the right
Same diagnosis from my doctor.
I will try the salt water first and then try cutting out wheat and gluten.
Neosporin makes my ear canal swell more.
Can anyone confirm that they found any of the natural solutions to have any long term effectivness? I don't really want to start something that I can not afford long term or that will cause other side effects eventually.
Hi, I've just read about the fluid coming out of someone's ears.
For several months, I've had fluid seeping out through the skin BEHIND
my right ear! I also had a swelling, the size of an egg,just above this ear, a few months ago. At the start of this year, I had a severe inner ear infection,
so I'm wondering if all these syptoms are linked? Has anyone ever heard of
fluid seeping out through the skin before?
I also had the same problem for over 20 years.  I saw a dermatologist this summer and he prescribed Singulair, rx  Reactine and Pro-topic ( a non steroidal eczema ointment).  This combination, over the course of a few weeks, started to clear up my ear canal problems like almost everyone described above.  It also started cleared up the eczema on the rest of my body too.   I cycle with this and the flare this summer was manageable instead of driving me out of my mind with itchiness and ear pain.

Good luck to everyone in their quest for a treatment.
Had itching, oozing, flaking ears for 10 years. Depended on Qtips 2-3 times a day to scratch/rub the inner ear. One week ago, stopped using Qtips - bought cloth handkerchiefs from Walmart (13 for $5 or something like that) and have used them to dry out ears or cover finger to clean out ear. The itching is gone and the inside of my ear canal is smooth for the first time in a decade! Cheap solution, worth a try :-) Good luck to all!
Strong thoughts of suicide because of this problem.

I've got the skin formation inside my ear canal, behind my ear, huge patch on my thigh and under my thigh, on the flaps of my ears. Some parts of my hands that come and go. I get the skin formation inside the ear canal, if cleaned with a q-tip, it leaks a shot glass of fluid, if I scratch my ears, thigh at night at asleep and wake, anywhere I scratched would leak a wetness of clear fluid. I thought I had psoriasis, I went looking up why my body feels massive amounts of pin pricks and then a explosion of itching when I get hot, I came across a topic of this guy had the same upper body itching, came to conclusion it was eczema. All the symptoms I've got, points at this eczema.

I have no healthcare as I live in the states, no job with health benefits.

By far, I would rather have missing limbs than this curse of a disease.

I am not happy nor glad to see all of you suffering the same as I am but am happy I am not alone.

I don't know what else to say.
I can't believe I'm not alone, I have always had ear problems, mainly behind my ear as a child and teen, like some others have described. I am now experiencing this in my ear, but I've always had heavy build up until now. I started seeing black mold looking stuff on the end of qtips about a year ago, it wasn't just wax, like all the doctors say, it was black powdery, easy to smudge off gunk that hadn't been in my ears for very long. After 3 ear infections, antibiotics, trying garlic oil (talk about the worst pain in my life next to one of my ear infections), ear irrigation by the doctor, and now tons of drainage at night after I've been told I'm fine by the doctors, I have found this forum. I'm so relieved that I'm not alone in my symptoms, and that its not just my doctor who laughs at my symptoms like I'm lying. I made a list of the things you have all suggested and reading your syptoms and comments have helped me to become more aware of what related issues I may have had all my life. Thank you everyone for being so honest and helpful. I have added this to my favorites bar for reference. I intend to use bag balm which is very similar to aquophor as part of my treatment, as I have used it before on similar (and I am just realizing ecxema may be exactly what it has always been) issues with success. I'm so grateful for this thread, God Bless!
Try Mario Badescu Skin Care Control Cream

Just a little bit twice a day and after a week 3 conditions of mine are cleared up. After years of DRs, too many otc creams and prescription, visiting these boards and others looking for a cure.

It has healed behind my ears. Healed, not soothed. Behind my ears, in the ear canal, and I can wear earrings again after 5 years.

My eyelids were flaking and cracking - weird right? - painful. GONE. No more vaseline to soothe it. GONE.

And I had an ugly red patch on my face that never would go away, and it's gone.

I sound like a commercial but really this is gratitude! Someone on another board posted about this cream and I bought it and wondered if I was a total SAP to try something else AGAIN. 1/2 oz of it might last me a year -- I use so little and it works.

Found it on amazon. Google it. It's a natural anti-inflammatory and never had a doctor recommend it - wish they WOULD. Try it please.

Be careful if this happens again (bones hurting, facial nerve paralysis).  There is something called necrotizing otitis externa which can have nasty consequences like those you describe.  I had it come out of nowhere and had to have IV antibiotics to get rid of it.  By scratching so much, I had destroyed the thin skin between the ear canal and bone underneath.  Hope you are soon better.
I have to say, all of your symptoms match mine perfectly. I think I will be trying some coconut oil as I am also fed up with feeling ill, I have been like this for around 2 years now and how only just been told that I have eczma in my ears, Thank god for google and all you fellow sufferers. I'm fed up of the brain fog as you so greatly described it, it makes me feel so sleepy and useless.
Off to buy some coconut oil... Many thanks again and here's to hoping it works.
Chrissie
I have read and read and read almost all of the postings... i have suffered with this condition for years in one ear only..... i can pretty much see it will always be an ongoing issue.... what i can tell you...no one has mentioned... pure vitamin E oil.. which i have used.AND AM CURRENTLY USING NOW.. my problem is once the ear heals... i stop using...and then 2 or 3 months later it slowly starts again...i can tell you.... IT DOES WORK.....i think now at this point i will just make it part of my daily moisturizing routine.... like the lotions and facial creams...
i paid 10$ for the E oil... and you only need a little tiny bit on a cotton  Q tip... i swab my ear gently....  it always IMMEDIATELY STOPS THE ITCHING... after about a week  you will notice the flaking stops...i think with most you would rather swab your ear every day with oil then spend the night being woke up with the ear itchies and scratching away.........!!! HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!!
WOW! So many of you out there - and I don't envy any of you :-(

I've taken time to read all the posts and note down all the advice, tomorrow I'll see what I can try - seeing as my doctor doesn't want to know at all; says I've got eczema in my ears, live with it!!

At the moment I am laid up with an ear infection from hell. It's the 4th time this year and all the doc has done is given me more antibiotic drops! That doesn't help the itching though.

SUDACREM is another one to try (basically nappy cream). It does help with the itching, like so may of the above suggestions, but it's no cure. I think it's a toss up between losing the earrings (nickel allergy) or investigating a candida based problem. Have to try things one by one though to make sure I find the right solution - any solution!
Wow, I thought I had an unusual problem!  It started after a visit to my audiologist (I wear a hearing aid), with drainage and flaking of the skin in the outer ear.  The doc prescribed amoxicillin which did not resolve the problem, followed by eardrops which cleared up the draining, but the flaking and itching continue and drive me nuts.  Like most of you, I'm not keen on using steroid creams but will try some of the recommendations made on this forum and let you know what works.   Thanks guys.
I have alsi had thos rediculous flaw within my ears, mainly my rght. I tried everything including alcohol. Smh..thought id kill it.bad idea,it burned so much bcuz if the constant scratchig,an smore open wounds i had created. Ultimately, I learned that this ear issue we all apparently share,is a key sign of an underlying issue,ie.in one case,the patient,a mid aged female, had a brain tumor. Also,it could be an issue with ur inner ear. This a reaction we experience due to our bodies attempting to let us kno our bodies are trying to tell us we arr "sick". I pray this helps and good luck.
I had something like this years ago. I was diagnosed with inner ear infection that led to a hole in my eardrum because I let the infection go to long before going to a doctor. Fluid kept coming out and it itched horribly with an odor to it.The doctor gave me antibiotics and it passed. I still have problems with ear infections and am trying to cure one now. Please go see your doctor because there are many other ear conditions you could have.
I have been suffering from ear Eczema every single day for a year now and have most of the symptoms described above:  intense itchy, crusty, scaly, and weepy ear canals.  

There is no cure for this, all we can do is to make the condition livable and reduce outbreaks.    What has worked for me is low dosage of hydrocortisone 1% and claritin.  My doctor also prescribed prednisone but it's not a cure and you may gain 40-60 lbs in just a few short months.  

Keep the ears dry (try blow drying them), learn to increase your tolerance level and refrain from scratching.  If you have temporary deafness, it's probably because you pushed all the gunk back with a q-tip and it's pushing against the eardrum.  Ask your doctor to suck it out, it hurts but you will be able to hear immediately.  

This is a miserable condition, good luck to us all
I have also had this condition for over thirty years.  I am going to try the Magnesium Chloride water as suggest by someone in this forum.  I have recently made a solution of Garlic and Cold Pressed Organic Olive Oil. I have been putting three drops in each ear (warmed), up to 2 xs a day.  It is very soothing.
I think though, the underlying causes of our inflammation needs to be identified.I believe we each have an unidentified allergen causing this condition.  For example, when I eliminate dairy from my diet, I seem to have less 'itchy ear'.  I am working towards discovering my trigger foods and environments.  It could be the shampoo you are using or, dander, animal fur, mold, dairy,wheat, yeast...
I would love to hear what each of you discover. I am so happy to have found this forum after all these y(ears).
: )
I have been suffering for 3 years with alot of this.  I was told numerous times it was a from of skin condition.  I argued with doctors and they finally did a test and it is MRSA.  I have been on antibiotics for 3 years now. After reading all this, I decided to try the ZYMOX because it works on numerous types of infection.  Within 3 days my ears (inside and out), belly button and c-section incision are pretty much healed.  The scaling, oozing, swelling and itching is almost completely gone.  I'm going to continue this until I show no signs and stop taking to see if it comes back.  Even if it comes back, I can control it now.  I am still waiting on the shampoo to see if it helps my scalp.  I recommend everyone try it!  I purchased the zymox with hydrocotisone in it.  Bought it all at amazon.com.
I, too, have been suffering from this for a number of years. I thought I was just nuts. It's SO annoying. And not to mention unattractive! It's no wonder I'm still single. I have crusty a$$ ears! LOL

They get all junked up with crusty crap and I have to clear it up daily by picking them away, and then I'm left with the clear, sticky fluid. This morning, I woke up to a leaky ear, as I often do. I can tell it leaked and dried over, because I had a hair stuck to my face. O.o  I am SO flipping tired of it!! I want relief. I want normal ears.

I asked my family doc about it and he said it was my shampoo. Well, not all shampoos are created equal and I use about 3 different shampoos. So I don't quite think it was that. I think he didn't really want to deal with it. He's now retiring, per a letter I received yesterday. So that explains everything. I'm going to make an appointment with my son's ENT. He'll tell me straight up.

So nice to hear there is no cure for it. *dripping with sarcasm*

Sigh.
Mometasome cream is the best thing I've found to deal with the ear itching problem.It is almost like a miracle how quickly it works!It won't cure your ears,but it will make it stop as long as you apply it.Good luck!   - Daniel in Germany
I too have dealt with Eczema  in my ears.   Been to Dr's and specialist  for different drops and creams and having to have my ears flushed because they would get so clogged   All the time knowing the only new thing I had been using and continued to use for a couple of years was ponds cold cream.  Thought since I didnt put it in my ears it couldnt be the problem.    I finally stopped using it.    I continued to have the problems for a couple of months then it all suddenly went away.    Now after a couple of years it has returned to one ear and the back of my head.   I will never know if it was the cold cream but most certainly will discontinue the use of the current cream I am using and try some of the many suggestions posted here.  Thank you    
hope this helps. i thought my ears were infected (piercing) because i'd had it previously with a different piercing, and got a prescription for antibiotics. i took agrisept to kill any candida (yeast infection cause) and probiotics for my intestinal flora that the antibiotics would kill. turns out it was the agrisept and probiotics that helped, not the antibiotics, so it was not infection, my ears had become allergic. this was because it came back while i was still on the antibiotics but had stopped taking the agrisept and probiotics. i even tried a different antibiotic before i realized it. now i just put penaten on them (a medicated cream) and take the agrisept 8 drops 4 times a day (in vegi caps with a glass of juice because it tastes bad) and probiotics as it recommends on the jar.

summary:
cause: allergic reaction, dermatitis and candida (yeast infection), due to wearing earrings that i previously had no reaction to
symptoms: itchy, swollen, throbbing, oozing pores on my earlobes
cure (for me): agrisept http://www.herbalab.com/agriseptgse.asp
and probiotics (specifically acidophilus bifidus, picked it up in the vitamin section of my grocery store)

hope this helps someone!
I am going to try the Agrisept. I like the all natural ingredients:

http://www.herbalab.com/agriseptgse.asp

I connect a specific dairy allergy to my ear episodes.  I know if I eat new cheeses, ie Mozzerella, riccotta, whole milk I have an attack with 24 hours.  I am going to eliminate dairy completely for 1 month and see what happens.

I currently use DermOtic Oil prescribed by my ENT but like others in this forum, I do not want to use a cortisone for the rest of my life.

Raina726 wrote "Try Mario Badescu Skin Care Control Cream"

I can tell you that it works! Finally, I am rid of eczma inside my ear... After a year and a half. I can hardly believe it. My doctor's treatment helped (when I saw him -he was the third doctor I saw, incidentally, the first two had no idea what the problem even was- my ear was just clogged because of all the flaking and liquid), but the eczema was never completely gone -until now. No more flaking, at last. No more cortisone cream, which does not come even close to Mario Badescu's product. I am amazed.

Thank you so much, Raina, for letting us know about this cream! I have been telling all my loved ones about it. I am so grateful to you :-)
I have had this problem for over 16 years in both ears after a bad ear infection from surfing. I was prescribed almost all the antibiotics under the sun and was then prescribed neomycin and although it kept the infection at bay I developed this problem to the point where both my ear canals an all round the lobes were scabby and leaking. Turns out after putting up with this for 7 years and pleading to be referred to dermatilogy I found out I am allergic to neomycin and other antibiotics used to treat infections.  The cream that worked when it got really bad was Trimovate cream but can't use it daily as I will become intolerant or develop an allergy , I also use vitamin E oil daily wich helps a little, I will try the method suggested above as like some of you I know how unbearable this can be.  I now have a real issues with doctors who can't think outside the box. They look in my ear and say no wax build up no infection so go away amd deal with it.  I'm sure if I was not prescribed constant antibiotics I would have this problem.  
I wonder how many of you began to have this problem after am ear infection or after a course of antibiotics? Check what they are prescribing as you could be allergic, l.
I feel this ear problem is a big issue and if its bad it can really affect your life.  You lose sleep coz you wake up in the nigh wanting to shove an ice pick in you ear to stop the itching.  They say dont use cotton buds but if you don't it just gets worse and really sore. I don't know the solution as I get the feeling we are all suffering with the same symptoms but maybe for different  reasons but more work needs to be done on this. I am convinced its an allergy to something as it differs in severity.  I am constantly changing my ditto eliminate things to see it it helps , I am starting to think it may have something to do with wheat and especially wheat beer as the leaking seems to go into overdrive the day after drinking it.
Food for thought ?  Thanks for the tips will definitely try. Cheers Pete
OMG!I have dealt with this for 2 yrs.I am so glad i kept searching and found this!!!!I I was about to spend my last few dollars to see another ENT tomorrow but I will try some of these suggestions.I had all kind of horrible things I thought I had!I wear hearing aids and It all sounds right to me.Been the route with drs,antibotic etc,,,Goes away comes back.Always allegy,infection!!!!!I I havelost all faith in DRs now.I think it has become a money issue.But I work min-pay job no insurance no second income 57 yrs old,so missed work and no pay hurts when u have to give to a doctor who only tks your money and theproblem still there.Thank you all so much for the topic on this and suggestions!!Now my grandson can have the christmas i planned to give with the money i intented to give to another quak
I have tried vitamin E oil as well, but after a while it doesn't work.  I find it interesting that you notice an 'attack after drinking wheat beer'.  I have found that after drinking Vodka, the next morning I have an attack.  I clearly had an attack after eating low quality dairy the other day at a holiday party. I awoke the next day with my ear filled with fluid. When I say low quality dairy I mean not organic, or fresh cheeses such as cream cheese, motzarella, or worst of all, milk.
Hard cheeses, aged and made from organic raw milk I seem to tolerate in small doses. Those would include Parmesean, or aged organic cheddar.  Even goat milk cheeses are tolerated better for me.
I have had the same thing going on for almost two year. The last few months it has been worse, and constant rather than some days relief.
I have tried almost everything. A couple weeks ago my ears were so inflamed itchy and leakey, with signs of spreading down my neck, my husband said "you have to go to the Doctor". I said, "No, let me try one more thing". So I got back onto this forum and read it all, I sent away for MARIO BADESCU SKIN CARE CONTROL CREAM, and here I am one week later and I have no sign of this problem sence I began using it. I can't believe it! The first night I tried it was the first night I did not wake up with my pinkey finger in my ear scratching. I recommend this, it is not cheap. $18.00 for 1/2 oz, but that is a whole lot cheaper than a Doctor's visut.
Good Luck and Yah Bless
Thank God for forums like this, I had the same thing, swelling, itchy, leaking clear fluid, mostly wet at night, followed by crusty in my right ear after I scratched my itchy ear and got carried away. I went to the doctor after a really painful night, he said I have an ear infection, gave me antibiotics and drops, helped slightly but within a few days I was back in the doctors office, then after the second round of a stronger antibiotic I decided to do some homework for what might be going on and how to treat it naturally. After much reading, from what I can tell its fungus, I googled home remedies for fungus in ears, I think what worked for me best was the warm vinegar in my ear, then days of warm olive oil and let it drain. This is 3 days later, the ringing stopped, I can hear again, my ear is dry and no more gooshy sound in my ear. Im not sure how often I will plan on the warm olive oil but I have used it 2 nights in a row at this point, last night wax came out when it drained, I suspect there is more in there which is part of the original problem along with overactive allergies this year.  I plan on using the vinegar at least once or twice a week so the fungus does not return. I suspect it is a symptom of needing to change my diet to control yeast/fungus on a larger scale in my body. Good Luck to anyone this may help.