Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Always feel like something is stuck in my throat?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ok let me start off by telling everyone that I am an average build 23 year old male. I went to the doctor back in October I believe because I felt like I had something stuck in my throat and I had a very minute ammount of blood in my saliva when I spit. Anyway, he told me I have a sinus infection and gave me antibiotics. Now I have always had allergies and plenty of sinus infections and I knew this was no sinus infection. So I take the antibiotics and nothing changes. So I go back to the same doctors office to see a different doctor. This time because again I feel like something is stuck in my throat and I have a small dull paint to the left of my sternum. The blood in the saliva has stopped at this point. She decides it was acid reflux and gives me a months worth of Protonix and schedules an appt. for me to see someone in gastreology. So I've been taking the protonix and I went to see that doctor and he said he thinks I have acid reflux. I've been taking the Protonix as directed but still all the time I feel like something is stuck in my throat. Feels like it's right behind my tongue in the tonsil area. Sometimes it's on the left and sometime's it's on the right but it's always there. I drink plenty of water and the only other thing I drink is sweet tea and that's every now and then. I've drank it my whole life with no prior problems. Also I've noticed that it seems like something slimy. Almost like mucus drainage or something. I have been able to pull some of it up out of my throat and spit it out but it's clear with no color or spots or anything. No relief comes from that. Sometimes I can make it go away for a couple of minutes if I brush the back of my tongue. I took some Ztus expectorant last night hoping it would release it but no luck. Does anybody else have this problem and what can I do about it? I'm going to schedule an ENT appt. next week. There is no pain, it just feels like there is something stuck there much like when you try to swallow a pill without enough water. It makes me worry when I go to sleep because I'm afraid my throat might swell up causing breathing problems. Thanks in advance.

Matt
Matt I am going through the same exact thing. My throat feels "strange" for lack of a better term. I just got referred to an ENT and I have to wait almost 2 months before I can get an appointment. The feeling gets worse for me at night and its on one side. The right side. I feel pressure around my esophagus like someone is holding it. Weird. I'm scared out of my mind!!
That's how I feel.  It bothers me because in the past I have had a mild form of asthma and I due to that I am really particular about my breathing.  I don't feel short of breath or like I can't breath, I just feel like there is something in my throat and It makes me concerned that it will cause a breathing problem in my sleep.  Mine tends to worsen at night as well.  Were you diagnosed with Acid Reflux and/or G.E.R.D?
I was diagnosed with acid reflux and post nasal drip. No one took me serious I even went to the ER for this and was told I was having an anxiety attack! Some days are better than others. Today wasn't as bad, but I still feel it. Sometimes its like my food doesn't go all the way down right away. I was having stomach problems with bad heartburn in the beginning, but that has ceased. I also get a strange feeling in my right ear. It "tickles" for lack of a better word. I'm not in pain, but I have a constant reminder that there is something constricting my throat!
I also am very concerned about throat cancer. I am a non-smoker, but my grandpa did die of the disease so it may be hereditary. All of my symptoms seems to parralell with throat cancer symptoms. All I can do at this point is pray and wait on my appointment.
I have had similar problems and the Protonix helped with the choking sensations but it didn't stop it.  I also gargled with a mixture of warm salt water and apple cider vinegar to get rid of the slimy feeling and it almost strangled me because whatever was in my throat, that mixture brought it out.  It's a sight to see and I'll never do that again!!  Crazy idea!!! I can't remember who told me to do that but it's an old home remedy that will probably work but you'll die trying.  What can I say, I got desperate for relief!!!  I'm still looking for help as well.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one doing this.  As of right now it's actually not too bad.  I am only taking Protonix 40mg once a day and I can start to feel it wearing off in the late afternoon.  I have never had these problems before and it just hit me all at once.  I too worry about the throat cancer you speak of.  I was supposed to have a Barrium Swallow when I went to the gastreology office but they didn't do anything.  He told me if it's not better after I get through with the Protonix then they will probably have to do an endoscopy.  I try not to worry but I'm sure you guys know just as well, it's hard to ignore.  I'm hoping I can get in to see the ENT Dr. soon.  It would make me feel a lot better knowing that I got it checked out.  My Grandmother died of breast cancer so I definately want to get it checked out so that if it is something serious I can take care of it now.  I really appreciate your responses.  Please let me know how you guys do.
i thought i was the only one this issue is driving me crazy feels as thought something is stuck in my throat, slimey, feel as though i need to belch to ease it, i am worried about this this has only occured the past week and i have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow just hoping its nothing serious, i try not to panic when it feels very closed but i do and it just makes it worse i just want to be back normal again i sometimes feel as there is a mucus in my throat and in the back of my nose, my symptoms seem to lead to that reflux i have just read of but i am still worried and not sure what to think HELP
you have tonsil stones.  i have them.  one of the symptoms in is the feeling of something stuck, or spitting out little stones.  it's amazing that most g.p. doctors always miss the very obvious and simple.  stones can also cause chronic sore throats, swollen glands, and infections.  they themselves are a collection of infectious material-food and bacteria, mucous.  some people are able to pick them out-the ones they can see.  i am getting my tonsils removed this June because mine are causing severe sore throat infections and swollen glands.  you need to see a good ENT doc.  if someone doesn't listen to you, try someone else till you get help.  
did u finally get that out of your throat ? or did it just go away ?
I have the same problem - I had to do research about tonsil stones (tonsilloliths) to figure out what was wrong with me - I've had doctors tell me I was being "hysterical," that it was GERD, that it was TMJ, and worst of all, that it was "normal."  They bother me so much - chronic sore throats, etc.  I would also suggest studying up on sialoliths - which are similar to tonsilloliths, except they are extracted from the salivary glands.

Other than that, there is nothing you can do other than have your tonsils surgically removed to take care of them.
This might not be your problem, but "just incase" I want to mention this. A friend of mine had always felt like there was something in her throat - stuck and sometimes it felt like she was almost choking. After going to many doctors, she finally had a diagnoses that it was her thyroid. She started taking the meds and the problem went away.

So, if all else fails, it may be worth checking out.
forgot to mention that it was "hypothyroid," not "hyper"
she does have really bad post nasal drip, so the doctors were
confusing her diagnoses with that - thinking that was causing
her throat to bother her, but that was/is a separate issue.
I know how you feel Matt. I have the same problem and have been seeing Doctors, ENTs, Gastronologist, etc.  I am now wondering if I'm having an allergic reation to milk, or foods with acid.  I was told to lower my intake of fatty foods and try to eat grains, fruits and vegetables because the gastronologist said I had an underactive gallbladder.  I began to eat better with this diet along with fat free dairy (cottage cheese, cheese, milk).  I was doing better and then I began having problems like you discribed.  I have had these same symtoms (symptoms) before, but never this servere. I came off all dairy for a week and started to feel better.  I decided to experiment and try dairy again. I had a glass or milk and 10 minutes later had the same symtoms (symptoms). The dentist seems to think it could be tomatoes, oranges, lemons, or vinager.  I have been eating all the above with my diet.  I am going to come off dairy for another week, and also eliminate foods with acidity, then experiment with both ( one at a time). I hope I find the solution soon, not just for me, but for others like you who need answers.  I will try to keep everyone updated.
Hi Everyone.
I just ran across your posts while searching for help with another issue, but I had all the same symptoms a lot of you are describing many years ago.  thought I'd share this with you just in case it helps anyone else. This may or may not be what you have, but hopefully it will help someone.  I always felt like something was stuck in my throat or I had a lump in my throat, sometimes left side, sometimes right side. I had trouble swallowing, was afraid to eat at first for fear or choking.  I was very terrified for months.  I had all the tests you can imagine, X-rays, CAT scans, thyroid, acid reflux (meds for reflux made me really sick) heart problems, cancer, GERD, had the Barium swallow, scope stuck through my nose and down the throat, was told it was "globus hysterious" the medical term for "YOU ARE HYSTERICAL."   I was very depressed and scared for months.  I finally found a great ENT, the one who scoped me, who diagnosed me with a muscle spasm in my larynx.  I don't recall the medical term, but he pretty much said take a muscle relaxer and if it goes away, that's what you have.  And boom, I took one, and relief.  It took a while for it to register in my brain that it was not something more serious and that it wasn't going to kill me, so I still had episodes for a while until I got control of the fear of it all.  I really think the fear and the anxiety of not knowing aggravated the spasm and that's why it was continuous for so long. (I did NOT have to continue taking muscle relaxers, btw, only for a very short time)  Now I do regular chiro, massage, no more meds, and I would occasionally just massage the sides of my throat "I know it sounds weird," but even though it feels like you're strangling yourself at first, it actually relieves it eventually.  When I get really stressed out, I still massage my throat just to make sure I don't get a recurrence.  I haven't had an episode in at least 5 years.  I really hope this helps somebody.
Did everyone get this problem sorted out?

My throat is constantly swollen and I can eat six things only. Mine was caused from an adverse reaction to herbal supplements and then medication. At times it feels like anaphylaxis I can't eat a lot of things, my throat won't let me, even if I have things in my mouth, my throat swells up. I have extreme sensitivity, it was Christmas when this happened. I will be seeing someone very shortly and hopefully will have what I need done within the week. The other specialists I was being sent to, they can't see me until March. But an online doctor has confirmed I need to see someone straight away and I found someone that can.

And they have all these specialists at this hospital, so they can also send me to someone that can help to find out what I can take for medication and what I can eat, so I don't have to maybe u can try this etc....and if there is no reaction etc....that I can not cope with doing because it makes my throat swollen, like anaphylaxis. At present my throat is swollen and is coated by thick mucus that won't budge, can't spit it up, can't swollow it, my mucus membrances are aggravated. So I am glad I am about to go to someone. The doctor only wants to send me to a gastic specialist, but they said at the hospital they can send me to other specialists if I need to go. The online doctor confirmed I also need to see an ent specialist but I also know I need to see an immunologist as well and possibly a neurological psychologist to help through all this, but also see if there has been any damage to my brain. That episode I had caused my brain to overload and shut down. I have waves and waves of panic, trauma, stress, as well as nausea and dizziness etc....and it lasted for hours. And that was first from taking herbal supplements together, so u can see how sensitive I am. I have a sensory processing disorder.

I know what the being frightened at night and having a bad night because ur throat is swollen and it feels like someone has their finger on ur voice box. The medication have found out causes the not being able to breathe and then u have to sit up to start breathing again along with reflux. The choking feeling as well as the not being able to get breath in because the air is to light and thick to breathe or being sustainiing. I think the side effects for me is worse than the throat swollen and swelling things. I find if u don't swollow for a time, it gives the throat a rest and then can subside. I had one nurse that told me I was having a tantrum, when I was having an anxiety attack from not being able to breathe properly. And her caring offer was, stop being a baby.

Anyway did anyone get their problem solved. I am glad that soohoo found relief from muscle spasms.

For my problem its my whole digestive system is out of whack but is coming into balance, because I am resting in Christ but also because I am drinking water, and drinking two litres a day, if I don't drink the only water I can, then I have problems. I also can only eat six things with it.

I also got ur imagining it because u have post traumatic stress disorder, like people with ptsd don't ever get sick or something wrong with them. And he looked at my throat and told me it was normal, when it is not my tonsils its my voice box area. I had to ring them back and tell them that I am having a bad reflux situation and it could be LPR, I shouldn't have to try and diagnose myself. And it is scarey, mine caused me to have panic the other night because it was swelling up again and I couldn't sleep. they told me as long as I can breathe and drink water I am still okay and don't need to go to emergency.

So hopefully this time next week I will have an answer.

Peaceful Co.
This is finally the discussion that describes my symptoms exactly.  I have been searching for a possible cause for over 6 months now.  I'm not experiencing pain at all, however I CONSTANTLY feel as if something is stuck in the back of my throat, near my tonsils, usually on the right side but sometimes on the left as well.  Tonsils are fine - just had them checked.  It definitely seems to worsen as the day progresses and gets significantly worse at night.  I feel as if my throat is constricting and will eventually close and prevent breathing.  I have stayed up all night a couple of times trying to research the cause only to find that it may be psychosomatic and related to anxiety, so as my anxiety increases, the problem gets worse and it's just an ongoing cycle.  I almost had a full-on panic attack a few days ago.  I was diagnosed with GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) several years ago and take Lexapro each morning and Trazadone each night.  The Trazadone "turns my mind off" so that I can sleep, and I desperately needed to rest and ease my anxiety, but I was afraid to take the meds for fear that my throat would close up and I would suffocate in my sleep.  So, now on top of the incessant annoyance of having something stuck in my throat sensation, I'm now suppose to accept that I am doing this to myself and it is all in my mind?  I'd love to find out that it is a fixable issue.  Surgery, whatever, I don't care.  I'd do anything to feel normal again.  My husband is growing increasingly weary of my constant complaints.  Now, I just sound like a hypochondriac.  I'm a healthy person and am not sick often.  I don't have sore throats, allergies, nasal drip/congestion or any of the other symptoms that are commonly associated with such a problem.  I'm afraid that a doc might brush me out the door as many of you have experienced, so I'm spending tons of time trying to self-diagnose so that I can make suggestions when I go in to see the doc.  No heartburn, nothing.  Just this freakin' lump that refuses to go away and is ruining my life!  ANY HELP THAT YOU CAN OFFER, SUGGESTIONS, ANYTHING, ARE APPRECIATED.  I mean, come on, we can't ALL be crazy and experiencing the exact same "phantom" lump, can we?!
In the same boat as everyone else.  I was on antibiotic cipr for a long for an infection and I think that threw my digestive system out of whack.  Started with some irritation under my sternum went on Zantac that worked for a short while then moved to PPI's like prilosec.  Still having trouble so my doc suggested a stronger PPI.  I see a pattern here and want to find a different solution.  When I first stopped taking the meds was first I got what I would describe is heartburn pain in chest.  

Tried a few herbal supplements like dgl licorice, slippery elm, aloe, fennel seed, apple cider vinegar and probiotics.  It seems to only be covering it up.  Heartburn sensation is gone but now the only symptoms I have had the past few weeks is exactly what you all describe.  Like a twig or something is stuck in my throat.  Could be causing the sinus drip too.  This stuff is so difficult to figure out cause of course its allergy season and I am allergic to everything.  My only difference is when I wake up first thing its completely gone.

Starting to look into gluten free diet cause I could be allergic to that as well.  If I find something that works I post back.  
i also have something stuck in my throat at the bottom of my throat, just under the adams apple. it too has moved from left to right and then back to the left side. i notice this 3.5 weeks ago, then went away for easter and the throat issue went away. my glands were also swollen at the time. after easter i went to the doctor as my glands were still swollen, without any other symptoms. the doctor gave me antibitotics - erethyamicin (sorry about spelling) - which did absolutely nothing! so i went back to the doctors (throat issue was still gone) and he has orders me for an ultrasound in 2 days. now something feels like it is again stuck in my lower throat, like flem (phlegm) kind of, not painful, kinda like a scratching or something stuck there. however it goes away and comes back, which is weird. now im worried this could be something serious!! my glands on both sides are still swollen as well.

does anyone know what this could be?
HELP

Here is the answer you all been waiting for. Stop going to those indescent physicians who ca not tell their lefts from rights.
Go to any pharmacy store and buy yourself 2 things
- Vicks chest rub, to rub your neck by throat area at night b4 you get to bed
- B-50 complex, take one pill per day
This is it  ;)
By the way, this remedy (cause hereabove mentioned medicines are made from herbs) are brought to you from a physician from UAE, Dubai and if you do not know where that is, it is in the Gulf
I am also in the same boat , it is so distressing.I have had this feeling as though something is at the back of my throat on the right side for over 6 months and no luck with any doctors. Feels as though no one wants to help.
All I do is chew gum which helps a bit.
Me too. Mine started when I swallowed a wedge of apple peel 'the wrong way' three months ago. ENT docs can't see it and have been very dismissive. I feel it's trapped further down than they've looked yet, ie beneath the vocal cords. Why do they want to put it down to complicated things like 'Globus pharyngeus' rather than actually listen to what I'm telling them?

Sympathies to everyone. I cannot find an answer.
I am also in the same boat here,.....started having this sensation of something sharp-like being stuck on my tongue way down more on the left side, now it's usually on the left side on the and feels as though it is stuck behind my tonsil. Mine does not feel "slimy" or mucousy like you guys have described, more like something sharp or a "soreness". Mine moves from side to side occassionally as well, but has been primarily staying on the left side of my throat. It is quite annoying and I have been suffering with this for about almost a month and it seems to be getting worse. I can still eat, and drink, but if the liquids are cold, it could sometimes "activate" it. I have looked down my throat witha flash light several times and I really don't see anything, and I cannot really stick anything down there too far (I have a really bad gag reflex).  I do however have GERD , and I take prevacid for it and that works well....and I do not need to take it everyday thank goodness!  But now there is this annoying throat thing!  I have been getting more and more anxious about it and I guess I'm going to have to go to the doctor if it doesn't leave, but the trouble is I have no insurance right now, so I am trying to avoid that until I have to. I am sorry for everyone's pain and frustration they are going through,....I hope you guys ALL get answers. I love what suggestions you all have been writing in,....anymore that you think could help would be appreciated! If any of you have any questions for me I'd be more than happy to help if I can!  Thank you all.
I had a pinch nerve in my back (lumber). i was very stressed and i also suffer with anxiety. I had stressed myself so bad that i had a lump sensation in my throat. I have been to the chiropractor and things have gotten better but i still fill pain in my body sometimes nothing like how i was feeling in the beginning. The lump that i was feeling when i swallow went away but not all the way. the lump never really gave me pain but sometimes i mite feel some sharpeness in my throat. I still kind of feel like i am swallowing something though. i also get headaches and earaches, they dnt say all day but i do have them sometimes. I have taken claritin -d and it works but i really dont want to continue talking pills. i really dont know if these sytoms all come from the pinch nerve or what. can someone please help me?
Hi, i am 35 years old and i do smoke. actually i quite about a month ago. I have been having the same problem. When i swallow i get a clicking on my right side usually, and it feels like something in my throat. At night when i lay down it is really bad. Plus it is all i can think about, My mouth also gets really dry, and it feels like there is a ton of mucous caught in the back of my throat. Already wen't to an ent once, And he said it was lpr. He told me to take 30mg of previcid and come back in a month have been doing that and it doesn't seem to be helping. anyways this has really got me scarred to where i could barely sleep at all. Go back to see him in a week and a half. Wish me luck.  
Hi all... I just started having this issue about 4 days ago. The thing is though, that when I was driving to work, I took a sip of my coffee only to feel a sharp pain in my left tonsil and a few days later this started. But this problem I have is only on my right side. I have checked for stones and there are none that I can see. I have gargled with pretty much every known gargle out there, yet still no relief. The feeling will actually move from my right tonsil, down the right side of my throat and end up just below my adams apple to the center of the throat. I have also noticed that drinking water makes it worse and that when I take a breath(through nose or mouth) it feels cool on the right side only. Almost like you get when you eat a mint and breathe. I have no idea what this is, and am hoping that others who experienced this may know what this is from. Should I give it a few weeks, or just go to the doctor? Any addvice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!
I felt like something was stuck in my throat for nearly three weeks.  I kept drinking hot stuff, cold stuff, trying to get it to go down, or coughing trying to make it come up.  It was really wearing on me physically and emotionally.  My throat was very irritated.  One day I finally decided to go to a dr. about it.  Ironically, no sooner had I made that decision than I coughed and out came a triangular piece of plastic!  It must have been in some food that I had eaten.  It was about the size of my fingernail, and had writing on it.  I was so relieved that I cried, and so happy that it came up instead of going down, so I knew that it actually was something stuck in my throat!  You never know!
i to recently just had this issue start, good to know im not alone. I've been reading all kinds of posts and I normally have problems when i lay down to go to sleep it feels like theres something in my throat and i cant breath. Im 22 and I have mild asthma mainly for smoking for 6 years but ive been clean for a year and this just recently started. Originally i thought it was from the cat that i got but my inhaler does not fix this issue the only thing that helps me breath easier is coughing up whatever is in the back of my throat and it looks white and slimey so im thinking it is the stomach acid. it says its mainly with obese people and since ive quit smoking ive probably put on 50 pounds so im thinking thats what my problem is, hoping to go to a dr asap as soon as my insurance kicks in at work :(
please let me know what your diagnosis was.  i looked up the same questions on internet and found this two year old question.  I am hoping to god it is NOT throat cancer and i stopped smoking two months ago.  I was also given pills saying i had acid reflux.  GRRRRr.  Now my throat is getting worse and just afraid to go to the doctor as they will blow me off
Same dam issue with me.  At first it started out as a little of what felt like IBS.  Basically some bowel issues.  Doc says to me "Lactose intolerance," my reply dam.  I love milk and cheese.  So I Lay off the milk and cheese and all other food products containing lactose and the bowels get better.  So I think awesome I just stay away from that **** and I'm fine.  Then this dam lump in my throat started to act  up.  Like many of you it started about once a week.  Now it is pretty much an every day occurrence.  Some days it isn't that bad at all and others it is almost choking me out.  Drinking water will alleviate it for a few seconds and belching seems to help for a little longer but it doesn't get rid of the dam feeling.  It is getting to the point where it is really freaking me out and just about ruining my enjoyment of life.  I have a docs appointment, and wish me luck.  Just wanted to let you know I'm right there with you all.  P.S.  26 years old with dam near perfect blood work and pretty active.
Wow...so I'm not going crazy. I started with this about two weeks ago. One very late night I decided to eat a half a bag of pistachios with a glass of red wine. Next morning I woke up not feeling to great. My stomach was bloated, felt a little constipated, overall not feeling good at all. The next day I had trouble digesting my food, felt like it was not getting pass my lower esophagus. Had some burning feeling as well. This would not go away after 10 days so I went to the Doctors, she prescribed Nexium;said it was acid reflux. I still fell like crap very little relief. This feeling of food not getting through, like its not digesting or something, does anyone have any suggestions I would real appreciate it
It feels like there is something stuck in my throat and it makes it to where I feel like I have to cough. When I do start coughing I get to the point that I gag and almost end up getting sick.There is mucus also and my cough is a hacking type of cough. when i take  a allergy pill the cough seem to subside a little.,
i know this is a really old thread but i was wondering if u or anyone ever found out what this problems really was? I have the same symptoms and you just described it better than i could have...  I turned 22 and all of a sudden i have 4 new health problems including a cavity in a tooth with roots going into my sinus, a hernia, both shoulders have chronic tendonitis, and this problem with my throat......sigh
i found this place by searching my symptoms, i also  feel that there is somthing stuck in my larynx or around the uvula area. The latest ear/nose doctor has diagnosed me with spasm's and gave me an injection for muscle relaxing (2 each 5 days apart) as well as anxiety medication. Hoping this works.

I also have post nasal drip (caused by an allergy, waiting for the bloodowork) which is making finding what the problem is so hard.
Hi All,

I have been having the same symptoms and I started taking Robitussin DM for the expectorant.It helps get the mucus and crap like stones out of your throat.

I've gotten a lot out and it had yellow bits in it. I do still get the feeling though and sometimes it moves up and down like others have mentioned.

Recently it has changed and has been moving into my ears, sometimes both tingle sometimes one gets it and when one gets it you feel a bit of pressure same as the throat but in the ear. when its in the ear it almost makes it feel like there is water there but i touch and nothing seems weird. Eventually it finds its way back into the throat.

I will keep taking the robitusin and see how it goes, its been 3 days.

Something to note:

I have a herniated disk (well into recovery)
I am under constant pressure and at times have a lot of anxiety
history of panic attacks
tendonitis or what feels like Carpal Tunnel (hurst sometimes, fireworks by the finger or digit)

I noticed some other commenters had similar issues like me AND the throat thing. how many people have ALL of these symptoms? Maybe they are related?
I also have developed this thing over the last week or so. It isdriving me crazy, i also experienced a sharp pain in my chest but more through my breast than my heart but it was the left side, the pain went away the next day but now my throat feels like there is a bubble in it whenever I swallow. I had my tonsils removed when I was 12, that was 17 years ago. I do not have any problem eating, drinking or talking, but I am having a hard time sleeping at night, I wake up feeling anxiety because I feel like my throat closed up and cannot swallow. Today at work it got pretty bad and I felt like I was going to pass out. What is going on? All of these posts don't give me much hope. Guess I'll make an appointment in the morning
I have the same feeling and I have a theory that it's a muscular and postural issue.  The right side of my throat feels closed up and I can't feel the coolness of a menthol cough drop on the right side.  If I tilt my head back to stretch the muscles the to right of my Adam's apple, it begins to open up.    I have mild asthma and if use my inhaler (which dilates the airways) while it's opened up, it feels less blocked after about 5 minutes... makes me wonder if inflammation is part of the issue.  I'm a guitar/bass player and I first noticed this while singing.  My chest muscles are pretty tight and my back is a little weak from slumping at a desk job, and i think that lack of exercise and the resulting muscle imbalances are causing some compression on the right side of my throat.  I will try stretching my neck and upper chest area regularly and would recommend that others give it a try if you have a similar issues.  Good Luck!
allSame feelings, mine came last week as i ran on thread mill, and when i finished my heart didnt slow down. I got scared and couldnt sleep, the next day i felt better but then towards the end of the night i started to feel this. For a while it goes away then when it comes back i feel dizzy, and my heart goes up again.
Hi Everyone (poster , repliers, anyone else with snot in their throat)
Oh no! you have my sickness but mine just comes up with more blood i don't think they know what it is i think they just give you pills and hope you don't bother them again or something they gave me blue antibiotics as well but it feels like it effects me very little if at all
I'm a 16 year old female and i drink probably less water then most people and milk tea and occasionally soda  but i don't think it is acid reflux as they say it is because i've been told acid reflux only occurs in the morning or when you lay down, my questions are for everyone: where does yours feel like it is coming from for you? and do if you do cough up blood with it, how often? Also, my mom keeps saying you can get things like this from stress, iffy about it, but, in case.. to everyone who feels these same symptoms, do you feel as if your life is stressful or not so much.
Obviously i'm not a doctor though.  
Its a shame the antibiotics don't help given how disgusting they taste.
hey i have had this feeling for about 2 months, i feel this late at night before going to bed and it keeps me up. i found this post and got scared since all of us feel this (means it might be a disease). so i convinced myself that i should try really odd things too try to get it out of my throat. The last thing that i just tried seems to have possibly worked. i filled my mouth with cold water, then i pushed on my throat where it felt like the lump was (until i felt a small amount of pain and heard a click like when i swollow). then, with pressure still on my throat i swallowed all of the water as forcefully as i could.
the first time i did this the lump actually felt like it moved a little lower down my throat. so i repeated this until i could no longer feel the lump.
afterwards i figured i might as well do this one more time(just in case) and i think i put too much pressure because i could not swollow all the way and almost drowned/choked on the water... It caused me to cough and gag and afterwards the feeling was back, but still lower than it used to be. I figured i'd tell you all in hopes that i can help. and if you try this please be careful!!!
I have had this issue for the past year, feeling like something is stuck in my throat, It can be painful at times and I always feel tired and grumpy due to it. I had my tonsils removed and it is still happening. Yesterday I got a apple stuck in my throat I had to clear my throat just for it to come up very painful!!
Well, like most of you I have the same problem...BUT, it can't be (what another here suggested) tonsil-stones as had mine removed at age 4!
Reflux?? Could be as I DO experience problems with a gastro-hernia BUT this happened out of the blue! right now, I feel as though whatever is stuck, is now sitting in my chest??? At the same time, it still feels like it is in my throat, now on the right hand side....so I am with you, are we ALL MAD????
Are we ALL just imagining this???? IMPOSSIBLE!! Why is it so hard for doctors to diagnose what looks like an EXTREMELY common problem???
I live in Australia...have NOT been to a doctor as yet because I was going to give it until tomorrow (see how I go tonight)....very scary stuff indeed!
Holy mackeral - I thought I was alone in this.  I was just at a supposedly "great" ENT and he told me what I was feeling was likely particles of food, mucuous, etc that get caught in the tonsils and solidify.  Occasionally I can cough up a little hard particle that stinks to high heaven, and then the feeling goes away for a while but ALWAYS returns.

I also had some reflux issues, which I'm taking medicine for now, but it seems to be having no impact on my symptons of constant throat clearing, which is particularly acute when I can actually feel the object in my throat.  I feel like it's in reach of my finger, but I gag and dislodge nothing if I poke around down there.

Of course, whenever I visit the Dr., no feeling of particals so he can see nothing.

Has anyone ever dislodged their object like I'm describing?
Everyone thought I was nuts! Literally having panic attacks like I was going to suffocate in my sleep. Clearing my throat so loud waking everyone up. I do have high blood pressure and I am  overweight, but I have no acid reflux. The mucus behing the throat, yes, hacking can't rid of it. I loose lots of sleep over this. Funny it has to do with something I eat. I will eliminate the daily one or two beers at nighttime. Maybe pasta, the cheese or dairy, I have not pinpointed it yet. Let's solve this problem with solution. What works for you, please post it.
OMG. Alot of you are having similar symptoms as mine. I have one HUGE problem. I have NO health insurance....at 58 years of age!
Anyway, for the last five months, I have had weird throat symptoms. My throat makes strange noises when I lay down at night, and I feel like I need to clear my throat alot. I do cough up some mucus, and it is clear. No blood or yellow stuff. I have had a chest Xray, and an ultrasound done on my throat. All normal. I cannot afford any more tests because of no health coverage. Can any kind soul give me some sort of feedback to my dilema. ( I do not think it is acid reflex, and allergy meds don't seem to help either. Please comment.....any suggestions?
One other thing I forgot to mention......I also have some wheezing going on, but mainly at night when laying down. (that is why I had the chest xray) Sometimes I feel the wheezing just right below my throat, but right above my chest area. And I do have to clear my throat alot, mainly upon lying down. This really bothers me, and worries me also. Sometimes feels as though SOMETHING is bothering the right side of my throat.
Been going on for five months now. Please....any possible solutions?
Started 3 years ago as a small annoying tickle but now feels like somethingmassive behind my Adams apple. I feel like I can move it but never swallow it, makes me spit whiteish foam):& taste food hours even days after eating it! Went for sinus xray and nothing, on nasonex now -not working.  Supposed to be going to ent and ct scan but they have not called me back with the apt. It literally feels like I could drown my own throat if I drink or eat too much. It never goes away and Its evoking a severe depression as it's embarrassing and painful causing headaches etc. I've read that it could be Cricopharyngeal spasm. I hope this helps someone bc I'm still awaiting the help. It worries me that all the postings I read with the symptoms no one ever updates after the dr visit with the diagnosis or is told they're crazy and it's acid reflux etc. I also feel that I'm not being taken seriously by my doctor. If anyone has any diagnoses please let me know. I have honestly thought lately I wish they would just cut out my throat as I hate living without full breaths or air! Good luck 2 all of us(:
I had the feeling since end of March, never get scared about it just annoys the hell out of me that it wont go away.  Doctor has given me tablets for acid reflux blaming it on that but I have cut down on alcohol which was a main cause of my acid and have been taking the tablets for months now and the feeling is still the same.

I try to show what it is like to my girlfriend by holding her throat and saying to her try live like that 24/7, its not normal but she still thinks it cant be that bad.  If only she knew

Sometimes when I yawn the muscules in behind my jawline feel like they cramp up and I suddenly stop the yawn as dont want it to cramp up and am thinking it could be muscle problem, but then I have the feeling from glands down to where my thryroid gland is, sometimes neck feels very tender and tight other times its just like a dryness in the throat, as typing this my glands and neck feel swollen today with some pain going into my ears

ENT is next stop for me I think
Check out "thyroglossal duct cysts" online I found this today and think I'm finally onto something! It's truly a gift to breathe!!! Good luck will post when I have an update!
I thought i had a sore throat and then realized i couldnt have a sore throat if only one side of my throat was hurting and it is the right side. Its been going on for a week now but i havent took it serious because im thinking it will go away but i feel like there is something there on my right side because when i swallow it hurts. Maybe it could be my right tonsil but i dont know because my left side doesnt hurt at all. When i lift my head up i can almost feel like theres something there , yawning makes it hurt so i stop it. Maybe its just bacteria down there?
My husband has had that feeling for 9 months now. He has seen 3 ENTs. They say its acid reflex, the pills don't help. Trying to get him to see another dr. He really don't want another one basically saying he is crazy. His is so bad he can barely swallow. He has lost weight, and still nothing being done about it.
I been searching for almost 20 years to clear this phlegm feeling behind back of my throat. Some doctors told me I have asthma, others say it's post nasal drip. It started when I moved to FL back in 1992 from NY. I would start coughing in air conditioned rooms. I am fine when the temperature is over 75 or 80 degrees. I live in NY now and I was fine for most of the summer but now that the temperature has dropped, my cough and hacking has come back. I can't talk in complete sentences because my cough keeps interrupting me to the point of me feeling exhausted and I get stomach aches a lot from constant coughing. I don't smoke but people think I smoke because of my coughing, hacking and wheezing. Sometimes I feel like I'm choking. I only get relief when I'm not talking or I can only talk on the phone if I am lying down, then I can somewhat talk better in complete sentences. But most of time, I don't like to talk because the cold air will activate my cough. Also drinking fluids will activate my cough too.

I wonder if it would help to get rid of my tonsils then there is no place for the phlegm to go to sit on, maybe it would just drain from my nose straight to my stomach?

I went to Phoenix AZ for a week back in April 2011 and my cough and hacking was completely gone from the day I arrived. I only coughed a little when I was in an air conditioned car. I didn't want to come back to NY because I knew I would start coughing and sure enough the night I came back to NY, it started all over again until the summer came and I found some relief.

I am very depressed now. I have been coughing and hacking for days. I been to ENTs, Allergist (who said I'm allergic to dust (but then why doesn't it bother me in summer?) I been on all sorts of medications for allergies and asthma and nothing works. I've used apple cider and that doesn't work either.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to move to AZ, the dry air is what works for me.
hi im currently twenty two and i think i kind of have the same thing as all of you guys. I mean i love to sing and am hoping to perform just the way you are -=- by bruno mars on x factor next year and sing it especially to / just for kelly rowland , but im kinda worried that this thlem thing is going to ruin my performance even though i dont let anything stand / get in my way.

Anyway its really important to me to sound like a great singer or / and sound as good as i can sing , especially if i am sing to kelly rowland and try to most of all to impress her hopefully.

I dont think its confidence or / and nervous because i have done lots of shows and i feel my conifendence on stage as really improved over the last three or four years or so, i feel really confident now , so like i just said i dont think its confidence.

I also suffer from amsher (which doesn't help my hayfever in summer) and i think that is why i have a little trouble getting my breathing right when singing even though im pretty confident my singing voice (vocals) are good , maybe great, it still feels like there is some thlem or something in the back of my throat that just wont budge , so when i belch or cough it up i am worried it will affect my singing voice (vocals) because your not suppose to do that , especially if your a good / great singer.

I feel like i have had and still have cold forever and it just wont go away but that isn't right , i mean you cant have cold forever. Just like the original user said when i cough it up , its looks clear and the more i get out of my throat , well the more i feel keeps coming back.

By the way if i do get to audition on stage next year at the x factor (uk version) because i get through to there , then i hope i can perform to the best of my ability and hopefully impress everyone , especially Kelly Rowland because i love that girl lol and im planning to comment to her about how stunning ,gorgeous , beautiful and perfect  i think she is and hopefully and possibly buy her a really expensive rose that i can give her on stage after i have sang just the wau you are -=- by bruno mars to everyone and especially her.
Look for "Cricopharyngeal spasm" on Wikipedia.  It sure sounds like what most of us are experiencing...
Hello, I am experiencing swollen throat, glands and swollen gums, right now. I got scared as I was foaming at the mouth. I ate a snickers candy bar, had peppers and potato for dinner, and a sugar cookie. i never eat peanut butter, or paenuts as i am now allergic. I am dry, and swollen, and my nose is running a bit. I got this and the chills, right away after eating the candy bar and cookie.  I am 65, look 35, do not smoke or drink, have food allergies, and allergy asthma, IBSC, and GERD, which I take Prilosec for. I take Pepto bismol, for this right now, to ease the symptoms, but if it does not pass have to go to the ER, by Ambulance, as I cannot breathe. Don't want to go there, always alone and scared, but the doctors help you right away, with fluids, and meds fro the swelling and nausea, and after 4 to 8 hrs i go home by myself, on the highway, waiting for a cab, so scary for me. Si I feel like I was going to die,anxious, but the swelling is real, and hard to breathe,chest heavy,and I am so cold,it has been hours now went to bathroom, but still feel swollen in the mouth and tight. I am sipping water, it is 5:28 am, I hope this passes, I feel so bad for all of you. Doctors do not know what to do for me, as i also have anemia, and gall stones 5 small ones for 25 years but the chills are on the right side, and the doctors won't remove it, they say the stones are just floating in the bag. Anyway, the throat swelling and foam, I never had that before, think food allergy, reaction. That sounds like a lot of what people here have, and the spasm in the larynx, for sure. Sorry this is so long my throat is burning, and I am not sick, but my esophegus, and hiatal hernia, won't let me eat, I am only 91 lbs, I am so hungry, but afraid to eat as this attack comes on bad. so I eat only 3 things and I pray a lot. for us,It has ruined my life, I cannot go anywhere. This foaming and gums swollen is new and tastes and feels so bad. Use colgate toothpaste, maybe no good either.Take care of my 97 year old Dad, my Fiance died, 4 years ago, lung cancer, 55. I am so sad My daughter is an angel, her and her hubby feel so bad, are very understanding as she gets it too. Sorry so much info. Love, GIGI Thank you, God Bless you, and All!
i am really scared because it hurts on the outside of my throat and it feels like something is stuck on the right side of my throat and its hard to swallow i am very scared and i went to the doctor and i have gone to a ENT specialist and he said it was tonsillitis he prescribed me a liquid medication cause i wont take pills and after the treatment was over i went right back to the same problems
Well I'm super glad to know that I'm not the only one that has this. This just started last week some time. I woke up and figured I had some cold stuck in my throat. So I caughed and caughed and nothing came out. I drank and ate and it was still there. Well tonight I notice that it was really bothering me. So I went and mad myself throw up to see if I could make something come out....NOTHING. I was starting to worry. I called my mom and told her, she said something about the swollen gland, well I started having sharp pains on the right side every time I would swollow. So I looked this up and seen all this. Well tomorrow if its still here I'm maken a doctor appointment and going see about this, I will recommend the ENT. What I'm most scared of is that I smoke, could it be throat cancer? Or could it be something with my tonsils? We shall see tomorrow.
I have had this problem for 15 years.  Always like there was a lump in my throat or my throat was swelling shut.  I have big tonsils, which docs usually blame for it.  I have also been scoped in my throat and assured that is wasn't cancer.  I have found that stress makes it worse.  But, more than that, tomatoes, oranges, sugary drinks and other things clog me up.  I have found some relief when it gets bad by eating icebreaker mints.  They have to be peppermint.  I believe the peppermint is a natural remedy for stomach problems and many other things.  Works for me and I keep them with me all of the time.  
I am 24 male, I dont know what is going on with me I went to a regular doctor and he said to go to a GI doctor but he said they are gonna have to stick a thing down my throat to see what is going on soo im pretty scared of that. But for the past IDK how long now ...a longggg time I cant swallow my food right if feels as if I eat pizza one slice does it for me after that every bit is a struggle to keep down. My throat gets tighter and tighter as more I eat like solids like pizza meats bread just any kinda of solid... im very tired of it and I just want to eat normally I have loss a lot of weight because of it I used to be like 110 pounds now i fluxuate between 97-101 pounds..I look skinny it is very displeasing looking at my self I just want help I want answers and I want people to let me know this is common and I should not worry but there is a few things about my body and I feel as if can be a cause so I have acid reflex at times and it gets worse at times or it stays better it is werid. I think I have GERD im pretty sure I do. I still have my tonsels and not all the time but at least 2 times a year I get bad sore throats. Because of this I think I also have anxiety from eating Im very afraid to throw up soo in my mind the only thing I try to prevent is doing that. I used to smoke for 4 years but I quit almost 2 years ago. I also have bad teeth and some a deteriating in the back and sometimes I wake up with like mucus with a little bit of blood nothing noticeable but I can just taste it. this is all very displeassing but it is a call out for help I want to live normally like everyone else but I cant.Everyday I deal with this and for the longest time I have been without health insurence but now my work will intitle me with it I just would like to hear from the community of people that may come across this post I know there is alot of them to read but if you come across mine please drop me a email give me your story tell me what is going on with your symptoms it makes me relieved to hear that there are people out there that have the same symptoms and if you are a doctor in this field and your reading this email me as well I live in the Chicagoland if you know any good doctors that know of this stuff please help me out here 24 is a young age people and living like this is very uncomfortable and can damage my health as I get older im skinny if i get really sick I might not survive with how much fat I have on me. my email is ***@**** email me anytime thank you.
My 7 year old daughter has been experiencing many of these same symptoms and I feel soooo bad for her. She tells me that she just wants to feel better. It has been 1 year and 3 months since she has had this cough. She coughs because she feels like something is stuck in her throat. She has been to her doctor several times, to children's hospital for a Barium Swallow Test and X-Rays and nothing. We are told the same things..ie; acid reflux, sinus infections, etc. They have had her on Rinitidine and Singulair. Her problem is not Gestational nor does it have to due with her lungs. She complains that it is merely her throat and she coughs like that to try and remove whatever the obstruction could be. The only time that she has peace from coughing is when she is asleep and she has said to me "because I can't feel anything while I'm sleeping" PLEASE HELP. I will have to take her for some 3rd and 4th opinions until my baby feels better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkejK6eiHeo Watch this video on Cricopharyngeal spasm
my name is randy about 3 weeks ago my  right toncil swelled up and it had been swollen ever since. Now i am having trouble swollowing any thing harder then apple sause and chicken broth. i have been to the ENT twice now and the emergency room once and i have gotten 3 diffrent diagnosis none of them correct that i know of. the first diagnosis was viral pharyngitis the 2nd one was a possible absecess of some type and the 3rd was acute toncillitis. but heres the kicker I have none of the symptomes that lead up to these diagnosis. im not sick i dont have a feaver no pain and so on.  the only symptoms i have are (lower part of right toncil is swollen (left one normal) unusual thick mucus and difficulty swollowing)that it. as i said before this has been going on for just over 3 weeks now and i also fear going to sleep at night because that is when it is at it worst! morning time and mid afternoon time are not as bad but still there. please i hope someone can help me with this i fear it might be something bad like cancer ect. i just want to know what is going on and how long this is going to last and what i can do to realive the symptoms. ive tried garggling warm salt water it has a slight numming effect but that is it. i am also on antibitics (augmentin 875-125 mg) and a sterroid (methylprednisolone pak 4mg) the antibitics dont seem to help been on them for about 11 days now and the sterroid helps alittle bit but not much (im on my 2nd wave of  the sterroids). if anyone can help me please emil me at ***@****  i could use any amount of help!!!
Hi, my name is Carole. Two years ago i started to experience a lump sensation when i swallowed. ENT surgeon took tonsils out but problem persisted. Then treated for post nasal drip...then reflux...then told I had globus. Ten months later lump sensation become a sore and uncomfortable sensation and submandibular gland painful. Had a fluoroscopy but that failed .....then a ultrasound but nothing of note was reported....then ENT surgeon performed a sialendoscopy but that failed too!!!!! and caused trauma to my sublingual gland. I then saw lead ENT sugeon and had MRI scan which resulted in me having my submandibular gland taken out three weeks ago, no stone was found and yet gland was fibrosed indicating numerous infections. I still have original problem and due to see surgeon next week
If you still have concerns, see a ENT specialist and if you are not happy tell them. Its only natural to worry and think the worst.
I too, have all of those symptoms.  But I also have fibromyalgia and lupus.  I constantly have inflimation in my chest which also puts pressure on my heart and lungs, this is what I was feeling last night when I started having the throat issue.  This morning I stuck my fingers down my throat five times and only mucus came out.  I read earlier that someone had muscle spasms in her larynx and took some muscle relaxers to get rid of the throat issue.  I just took two and hopefully it helps.  If not back to the drawing board.
I have the same problem. I have a pinched nerve in my neck, It's only been a week and I am still in a lot of pain. I never had this problem before my pinced nerve. Maybe it does have something to do with that.
Okay, so these are the same for me - a few years now - the weird sensation when I try to swallow - it comes and goes - when I think about it, it seems to get worse.  Like someone is choking you; pull a tie around your neck tighter and tighter - like you can only swallow if you have some water and then if you think too hard about it, you can't even swallow for a moment or so and it freaks you out so bad you physically get up and try harder.....It is anxiety - but listen - I was on (for a very short time and not even regularly) Klonopin.  I used them for a short while, only when needed.  I was also on lisinopril for over 3 years for high blood pressure.  I went off this crap about 1.5 years ago when the symptoms sky rocketed (they changed the mfg at Walgreens and I had a severe reaction that sent me to the ER) and I decided they were poison (and they really are... snake venom to be exact).  So all of you should check too to see if you're using any other medications (prescribed or not) regulary or even a semi-regular period of time.  I first noticed these symptoms when I was on a board strictly for those taking Lisinopril.  Then noticed these symptoms seem to also contribute to those taking other meds (asthma medicines, other anxiety medicines, etc.)  THESE R PROBABLY WHY MOST OF YOU HAVE THESE SYMPTOMS... good news... these symptoms won't kill you, but they do trigger anxiety and then more of the symptom.  Pills are not the answer and I doubt surgery is.  The answer... for me... get of the garbage and try to learn how to breath and relax myself.  It's the only thing that works.  I pray too a lot.. for others with these symptoms and that helps me as well.  No one should have to feel these terrors and we all do.  But we'll be fine.  Just look at your medicine chest and do what you can to change your lifestyle.  I am now a vegetarian who takes no meds (occassional asprin) who tries to exercise (walk) every day.  These symptoms haven't completely gone away, but when i'm active and at peace, they are nil.  When I'm stressed and worried, they're right there, as though they never left me.
I do want to say that when my back is out (I need it aligned now and again) I do have some labored breathing and this throat thing worsens.  So I definitely think pinched nerves, back problems/alignment issues, caffiene, too much sugar and taking prescription meds all aggravate this issue.

BTW - I am 39 yrs old, female, no children, non-smoker, a bit overweight, but try to stay active.  
Yes, thank you angeliarobinson - I took found an article on this about a year ago or so.  It describes the symptoms to a T - only there is no final cure.  I haven't watched this video yet, as I am unable from this computer, but I will later.  When I first did my research, there was only like one place I could find a physician who had addressed this as something other than hysteria.  Here are some other sites that may put some of you, if not all of you at ease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricopharyngeal_spasm
http://www.nexiumresearch.com/cricopharyngeal_spasm.html

same with me, I am waiting for surgery for my back (lumbar disks) I am scared as I quit smoking 2 months ago and this throat thing makes me feel like something serious has happened like the big C. I also got the feeling that I am having a hard time swallowing, talking and breathing. I have also been diagnosed with costochondritis on top of all this crap. Im happy to see others go thru this and not just me. It occurs more on the left side and feels like its tight or a lump. I also checked many times with a flashlight and nothing that I can see is there. Im wondering if anyone can say what the outcome was after seeing the specialist?
halooo every one 1st i will tell you my english is not good (sorry for that) anyways i want tel you i have same condition i always feel some thing stuck in my throat always try to clear it that but comes again. some time i feel clear butt most of time i feel it i am really scared for it...i take many medicine but no. with my throat i feel like havey in left side and stomach problm also. doc said me that u have acid reflux but now my stomach problm iz better but still feeling in my throat. when i eat after some time i rely feel sick...i relly nervous
my mind alwayss think about that im depressd...some budy told me the idea
this situation happened to me twice every time i eat a soft bread. it feels like a small piece of bread went on a tiny whole near tonsil area. the first time it happened i couldn't get it out for 2 weeks or three. then after awhile it happened again because i ate a soft bread again and it disappear, so i tried to stay away from those bread but now it happened again just right after that last bite of the bread, oh boy... just sharing.. now it feels like a pill is stock on my throat.
Thank you, cntrygrl1111.  I just looked up Cricopharyngeal spasm on Wiki.  I think this is what my problem is!  Thank you so much!  Incidentally, I have found  a natural alternative to prescription antianxiety meds.  L-theanine can be found in pill form, or in a weaker form in tea.  It has the same effect as benzodiazepines.  I'm going to get some right now!  Meditation is also helpful-and I accidentally got out of the habit a few months ago.  Hmmmm...
please let me know if this continued or if it got better.  I started having the same problem about a week ago and its driving me crazy I can't get it out of my mind.  About a month ago after 2 glasses of plum wine my throat began to burn. Then a few days later after drinking during the week I got the same burning feeling.  So I stopped and now all I feel is like something is stuck at the bottom of my throat.  I too can't stop thinking of cancer.  
I know this thread is old, but I too feel like something is in my throat. I have been telling my family dr for almost a year, but have had several upper respiratory infections that it was attributed to. To make a long story short, I had blood work about a month ago, and I asked that my thyroid be checked at the same time, because I have symptoms of hypothyroidism. Well guess what???!!! My  thyroid is enlarged, and an ultrasound revealed nodules. I am scheduled for a biopsy next week with an ENT. If you have a feeling of something in your throat, usually in the middle of your neck (you can swallow and it should be below "adams apple"), you should demand that your thyroid levels be checked. Make sure that they check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), as well as your T3 and T4 levels. Thyroid disorders are highly overlooked and can cause symptoms that are automatically associated with other illnesses. I have been miserable, but am looking forward to finally getting the proper treatment, whatever that may be. Good luck to you all!!!!!
I also have the same problem with my throat, I started by going in for a swollen throat, the doctor prescribed me a months worth of antibiotics for post nasal drip, I took them with no results, went back three months later, they did a culture test, that's where they stick a really long q-tip looking thing into the back of your throat and they extract some saliva, put that q-tip in a jar and send it in to a lab to study. I received a letter later that week saying that the culture tests were negative. I decided to go to an ENT specialist thinking that they would know more about my throat problem.  After mentioning that my sister had her tonsils removed when she was 12, the ENT checked my tonsils and told me they were normal. The ENT specialist diagnosed me with acid reflex, did a study where they put a tube thru my nose down to the back of my throat. the tube is connected to a pager that clips onto you you wear that for 24 hours.  The machine reads the PH levels, then the readings are read by the Ent specialist.  This test was normal as well no acid reflex.  This ENT refered me to a gastroenterologist.  I made an appointment and went to see what they had to say.  He recommended that I get an endoscopy done. An endoscopy is where they tear little pieces from the back of your throat and check them for cancer. This test came back negative. I would like to know  what other things I should try to resolve my throat problem, I have no insurance now and have a limited income.  I like the judicial system in the USA, you have the right to a fast and speedy trial, I wish the medical system would be the same way.  You have the right to a fast diagnosis.
This blog makes me feel so much better, not because of the cures (which there really haven't been any) but because I know I'm not alone in this!  I have been going through the same thing for the past 7 weeks (feeling of something stuck in my throat (lump), drainage down my throat, worsens as the day goes on).  I have been to 3 doctors, who have given me 2 doses of antibiotics (which didn't work) because they thought it was a sinus infection, I've had the barium swallow, sinus Xrays, and reflux medicine (which also didn't work).  All of my tests have come back fine, but my throat continues feeling worse.  I know that my stress is making it worse, but I want to know what caused it and how to help it!  My doctors are sending me to a GI specialist who is going to put a scope down my throat....but in the 4 weeks of waiting, the only thing they told me to do to help is put heat on my throat.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME:?!?!?!  I am so sick of the run around, and they don't seem like they really are interested in helping me...it's driving me insane.  I don't have problems eating food, in fact, when I swallow food or water, it temporarily makes me feel better.  I've actually gained weight because of this (because I'm constantly munching on something to try and get rid of the lump) which just adds to the stress.  My husband is getting irritated with me and thinks its all in my head.  Boy, do I wish that were the case!  I wish the people on here from 2009 would let us know if they ever found a cure.  I have called to ask the doctor to let me try some muscle relaxers to see if I am in fact having some kind of spasm.  I'm ready to try anything to feel normal again!
I have been having the same problems for the last 5 or 6 months.  Some days worse then others, some days with more dry mouth involved with the feeling of the lump, or thing in my throat......always on the right side.  The right tonsil seems to be swollen a bit more than the left - not sure if that is the problem.  I do have some digestive problems and indegestion more than I used to.  For me, all of this started when I went on Birth Control pills.  They have switched the types of BC pills I have used probably 4 times in the last 2 years to try to find something that doesn't make me sick.....they have ALL caused digestive problems.  I am starting to think this is a hormonal problem......it seems to be worse during certain times of the month.  Have any of you gals noticed that?

Denise
I've had these exact same symptoms for 6 months now. Feels like there's a lump in my throat or something stuck in my throat. Mine sometimes is centered near my adams apple but mostly on the right side and sometimes the left also every morning I wake up with a extremely dry throat or thick mucus coating my throat that's impossible to swallow or spit out because of that I have to always have a drink with me where ever I go. Gets extremely aggervating because before all this I never had a dry throat. Went to the doctor 3 times now, first he said it was from acid reflux which is bs because I do not suffer from heartburn, then he told me I had a sinus infection but mysteriously had no symptoms of 1, now he said I had allergies which I have never suffered from and do not have any symptoms of neither. All I know is its uncomfortable and there is no pain, the only relief I have is knowing that I'm not the only one who suffers from this. If  anyone finds a answer as to what is going on please reply back to all of us!
i have this problem as well for months and i suspect i have a problem with acid reflux. everytime i eat i feel that the foods are stuck in my throat. i would always drink water to push the food down to my stomach but still that strange feeling is there. i can also feel the acid going up my throat. really i was freakin scared to have it checked cause i'm afraid that doctors might see something in my throat.i first took the advice of my cousin which was a nurse, that i should try take motilium 30mins before meal cause i might be having a slow digestion which causes acid to go up. took it for 2 days before every meal until i felt like that strange feeling in my throat went away. i felt so relieved after. now it's gone. i'm not assuring everybody that it will work for you but if youll ask me, yes it worked for me. i hope it helps
Go to the doctor. My Dad felt like he had something in his throat that he couldn't swallow. He was told he had sinusitis. He was an ex smoker and a fire fighter. He died of lung cancer. A feeling of something in your throat that you can't swallow is a sign. You may and probably don't have cancer, but its best to be safe. After many misdiagnosis, my Dad passed away. He had an inoperable tumor in his lung and by the time they found it, it was too late.
I have the same problem and have had it since i was 15 im now 25, i go days without eating cus of it, i been to the doctors who just tells me that there is nothing he can do for me, ive also have had about 6 surgyer done and that didnt help eirther, i just dont know what to do anymore, its not like i.have anyone that will listen to me, even know this problem runs in the family.....i just keep getting worst day by day i never feel good i always feel like im goin to pass out, im dizzal, cant see right and cant even think stright!  Im soo ******** that something to goin to happen, its to the point were i dont sleep that good at night cus.of it!

What do you do.to try and eat and stuff?
Im going through the same thing and have been since i was 15, im now 25....ive had 6 surgy done and that didnt help, i just dont know what to do anymore its got to the point were noone will listen to me, i have been feelin like sh*t for months now i always feel light headed, dizzel cant see stright, or even thing stright!
Im scared sh*tless that something is going to happen its to the point were i dont sleep that good at night cus of it!
I HAVE THE SAME AS MOST OF YOUS, ALWAYS SOMETHING STUCK IN MY THROAT, I CARNT GET ANY STRAIGHT ANWSERS OFF ANYONE, SO WENT ON INTERNET AND AS FAR AS I CAN TELL I THINK I HAVE OESOPHAGUS CANCER,,,, RELATED TO G.E.R.D. WHICH IVE HAD FOR YEARS, I HOPE IM WRONG, AND WOULD LOVE A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP. MY DOCTOR JUST SAYS ITS OUT OF YOUR HANDS,,, I SAY WHAT,IS BUT NO REPLY. SINCE THEN IVE CHANGED MY DOCTOR AND STILL NO ANSWERS, A WISH SOME ONE WOULD HELP.............. THANKS
i have had this feeling of like i have a peace of apple stuck in my throat it gets worse through the day i tell friends and family but they dont seem to understand how scary this feeling is i found this that eased my mind a little but because i suffer with bad nerves and panic attacks its still scares me from time to time i hope this helps you

http://www.nexiumresearch.com/2003/11/06/cricopharyngeal-spasm-with-a-lump-in-the-throat-sensation/
Try to eat better at least. Do a alkalized diet and alkalize your body, maybe it's something that your eating or drinking like milk? I have the same problem and I am trying to figure it out. I used to be a smoker (6years ) ago. Since then I have only had maybe 2 colds that never lasted long. But if I drink alcohol I'll be clearing my throat for the next day or so sometimes 3 days. That's my problem and now I am trying to get over this thing that now I'm having with my throat. The first two days were out of a scale of 1-10 10 being the worst it was a 6-7. After 2 days I thought I was going to beat it and started to feel a lot better but there was still the felling of something in my thraot and it moved below my Adams apple. Then I started to cough a lot and hard, and when I spit up the plhem it was about the size of a big pea and it was green. I could feel it go away after I finally got it out. Then clearing out my throat I spit up a little blood but when using common sence when this was happing I could also feel a little sting. But once it was out (relief). My throat is still a little sore but after all that hacking I would think it would be. I think that the lump that most people feel is a (plhem ball) that is either stuck and hard and lodged in your throat in a position that it is very hard to dislodge it just by hacking and spiting. Also eating the wrong foods isn't going to make things easier for you. You have to alkinize your body so it can fight it. I hope this helps.
I had the same problem a few years ago - both sides of my throat.  Since it did not go away for a couple of weeks, (as always for the last 15 years) I went to my local health food store first.  They recommended Thayers Slippery Elm Bark.  I took one lozenge (melts in the mouth) and about 15 minutes later I coughed up what looks to be a ball of wet sanding dust and other debris. (The drywallers had been there at the time, so I wasn't too surprised.)  The problem in my throat went away for several years.

Recently it has been back for the last 5 months, again both sides of the throat, but not nearly as bad as the first time.  The slippery Elm Bark did not do very much this time.  I accidentally came across Austrailia's Best Eucalyptus Oil.  It is supposed to alleviate a number of problems.  I noticed it relieves congestion. So I followed the instructions: Spray on a clioth hold it up toone nostril while closing the other and inhale a few times.  I did  it to both nostrils and miraculously, one side on my throat entirely cleared up.  This was about a month ago. The othe side improved noticeably, but has not gone away completely and is still irritating.  
I have felt like there is something in my throat for about a week. It comes and goes throughout the day. It's in my neck area around Adams apple. Very frustrating. Nothing seems to help! I've tried drinking lots of water, antacids, Prilosec. Not getting any better. I have also had severe lower back pain for about 9 months and feelings of fullness after eating that sometimes makes me feel like I can't breathe. I just wish I knew what it was, it feels like I might choke. Scary!
i have the same thing apart from when i worry i get the lump in my throat' all i say to people is forget about it and focus on something else and maybe it will go.
I have had a feeling like something stuck on right side of throat, ear pain, neck pain under jaw area.  My Physical Therapist suggest looking into "Eagle's Syndrome".   Have seen my primary doc, a dentist and an ENT.  Still searching for a physician who knows about diagnosis and tx of the syndrom (syndrome).  
I have similar issues, feels like there is food stuck in my throat, feels like pressure on my throat - as if someone is holding it, post nasal drip, joint aches, panic attacks etc.... Was treated for allergies, acid reflux, candida etc... For the past 5-6 years.

I now know what causes all these in me - Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. it gives all these symptoms and more. Do an Internet search for 'Hashimoto symptoms' and read about them and see how similar they will be to your own.

You need to get some blood work done for thyroid antibodies (TPO, if you have a figure above 100 then you have Hashimoto's). Do not just look at T3 and T4 levels.

I have cut all gluten products as gluten affects the thyroid. I have also stopped eating goiterous foods, which make the thyroid swell and so gives you that feeling that something is stuck and/or something is pressing on your throat.

I have only been aware of it for a couple of months, so I am still in the early days of getting better.

Have a look at the website StopTheThyroidMadness and at www.wellwomen.com and see if the stories on these sites ring true for you.

Janet
I have the same symptoms, but after reading all of the comments I would say that the sensation is probably anxiety induced.  I am not a hypochondriac but I definitely worry about my health and can overthink small aches and pains.  Anxiety seems like the common denominator in many of these posts.  It seems pretty straight forward to me - when doctor after doctor tells you that there is nothing wrong with you - its most likely in your head....especially when a lot of the people commenting have experienced these symptoms for YEARS.  I am not saying don't get yourself checked but maybe try to figure out if you are just worrying too much.
I'm in the hospital now have all types of test ran on me to figure whats going on with my throat this has last for a month too long
same problem here as the rest...
ANYBODY feel maybe its their HYOID  bone moving out of place? I am pretty sure thats my problem...back injuries/scoliosis....ive put my finger in my throat before and something (assuming hyoid bone) was pushing into my throat, i gently pushed on it and found i could move it until it was no longer in my throat, sometimes though i would get a sharp painful nerve like pinch in my spine when i pushed it, so i stopped doing that.  hyoid is not connected it is held just by muscle and ligaments, so those of you that notice a backrub seems to help or that stress makes it worse and you have tight feeling shoulders and neck maybe talk to doc about it and see, i cant afford to go but im sure that alot of you may have this too,  good luck!!
Just came from the doctor after having this 'something stuck in my throat' for over 5 years.  Had surgery 5 years ago and they took a tumor off my esophagus flap and a polyp from inside my throat but the feeling never left. The doctor checked and throat clear and put me on medicine for acid reflux.  It didn't help and the last time he said it was the hyoid bone and the muscle around it causing muscle spasms.  My feeling does not close off my throat, just is there all the time and every uncomfortable.  I am going to check out the Thyroglossal duct cysts and Circpharyngeal spasm and also the Eagle's syndrome that others have mentioned and when I go back to the doctor I am going to request thyroid testing.  If anyone knows of any exercises that will help ,let me know.
To all my brothers out there who are sharing this very same thing you first and foremost must get control of the fear as that only makes it worse. I have had all the same feelings of something cought in my throat for more the 3 months now. I have noticed that sometimes its on the left then right side and sometimes both sides,and noticed at times during the day its almost nothing at all. I to have buldging dics in both my lower back and neck and i too take several medicines for blood pressure. I believe this problem is mainly stress related but may also have to do with certain foods and medicines. The main thing to know its nothing that is going to kill you or keep you from breathing so please just try and relax as were all in this together guys. I would suggest that we all try doing things that reduce stress first and then take a look at other health issues and meds that may be causing us these annoying feelings. If you had some serious signs such as bleeding or severe pain then i would be more likely to rush off to the doctor and have a bunch of tests done but I just cant see doing that for myself. To be honest I really feel like these problems are in the throat glands and sometimes there swelling up and other times there not and its just a matter of finding the cause. Take good care and God bless all of you!
I had the same symptoms. It felt like I had something in my throat sticking me, and my throat felt like it was swelling. Then i notice it happend every time I ate peanut butter, which i was doing everyday for the past 2 weeks. So I stopped eating it and my symptoms subsided over several days. So maybe it's something your eating? You should look into it.  
I've read most of the posts pertaining to the throat issues and want to know if anyone has found or gotten any answers.  My 10 year old son has been experiencing this for 4 months now and he just wants to die.  I really need some answers!!
Does ANYONE have any solid answers for this???  My son (10yrs) has had an Endoscopy (with a biopsy), a swallow test, an MRI of his neck,  allergy testing, etc.  We've seen a Speech Pathologist, a Psychologist, ENT, etc.  We also see a Physical Therapist and a Natural Path.  1/2 the doctors think it's all in his head and I KNOW it's not because he has never been the type of kid to be sick or to look for things to be wrong with him.  He literally will tell me that he doesn't want to live if the doctor's can't figure out what's going on.  I REALLY need some help / ideas / suggestions !!
I'm a 13 year old girl and I have been having this feeling that something is lodged in my throat, and when I swallow, I feel a sharp pain on only one side of my throat. Everybody keeps saying it's just a sore throat, but I know what that feels like and this feels different. I am very worried and I am scared to go to sleep because I worry that I will die in my sleep. My mom is a smoker if that could have anything to do with it. Any idea what this could be? Please respond asap.
                           Thanks,
                           Liv
I have it too and have been to an ENT twice in the last year and he used the scope down my throat and said I had a bruised voice box.  But this only gave my mind relief that I didn't have cancer.  But it is very annoying and I sympathize with you.  Check for tonsil stones and give up diary for a week.  That's what I'm going to do starting tomorrow.  I might even be allergic to my dog but I had allergy test done as well and I wasn't allergic to anything.  Good luck!
I've been struggling with this for over 3 months now, but it feels more like 3 decades.  

Initial symptoms (first month):
-Severe sharp shooting pain in lower right side of throat that worsens when I swallow something (went away after a few weeks)
-Constant feeling that there is something in my throat
-Inability to swallow food and drink
-Inability to burp, sneeze, hiccup, etc
-Choking sensation when I swallow saliva

I NEVER experienced any kind of heartburn, but did get fothy/acidic saliva and my tongue occassionally turns yellowish/green.  Sometimes I get the feeling like there are pop rocks in my vocal chords.  

Honestly, I think the acid symptoms came from the fact I didn't eat for 6 weeks.  I could barely drink water because of the severe pain, which landed me in the ER needing treatment for dehydration.  I've noticed it gets worse when I'm stressed, so I try to distract myself as best as possible, but if you have it, you know there really is no distraction strong enough.

Currently, it feels like there's something in my throat, especially when I swallow.  Every once in a while, I get a sharp pain, but it only last a few seconds and that's whenever I swallow saliva or water.    I've been slllloowly introducing various foods in my diet and everything seems to be fine, except creamy foods, like mashed potatoes, yogurt, mac & cheese, etc.  Just anything with a creamy texture gives me a choking/can't swallow feeling.  It does feel better when I eat, but only while I eat (when I'm able to).

I've seen 6-7 doctors, including an ENT.  I've had a CT scan on my throat & chest, xrays, blood work to test for H Pylori, EKG, and a scope up my nose.  Everything was clear and fine, but the ENT said my throat, ears, nose, and vocal cords were very "raw and irritated" and said it was a case of severe acid reflux.  He gave me 80 mg of Prilosec for 2 weeks and it helped the acid related symptoms, but not the original symptoms: feeling like there is something in my throat, difficulty swallowing, constant constricted feeling.

I have noticed that some things have helped me feel better (but never cured).  On the really bad days, I use a heating pad on my throat.  That seems to help a lot...which really makes me think it's a muscle problem.  I also notice that it feels better when I put all my body weight on the left hand side...I have no idea why.  All I know is the pain is always the right side of my throat.  

I ONLY drink water...no pop, coffee, tea, juice, etc.  Every once in a great while, I have a margarita which (to my surprise) helps a lot.  Again, makes my mind wander to muscle problem.

I currently have bronchitis (started last week) and they gave me a liquid cough medicine which seems to help my throat symptoms.  Laying down helps...putting pressure on my neck helps.  Ever since I started staying away from creamy foods (like yogurt, potato salad, mashed potatoes, etc), I no longer get a choking feeling when I eat.

Early today, while I was opening my mouth and putting pressure in the area that keeps bothering me, my hand slipped and I ended up moving something in my throat.  I heard a pop and something seemed to slip into place or something and I had NO symptoms for about 30 minutes.  It was scary at first, but then a huge relief, and now it's just leaving me perplexed.  

I keep saying I think it's a physical problem...something with muscles or moveable parts in the throat.  That's what my intuition keeps telling me.  I've been looking into cricophayngeus spasms for a while and it seems to be going in the right direction, except for I can't find mention of pain with the condition.  The inability to burp is a very prevalent symptom for me too.

One more interesting note: my sister has been living with this same condition for the last 3 years.  She says her symptoms get worse in the winter, and warm weather seems to help.  She's been to countless doctors with a whole barrage of tests and they never found anything.  There was only 1 medication that ever helped her and it was an anti-seizure medication...gabbapetin or something like that.

I can't find a doctor in my area that can help...and I'm all about tapped out financially.  It's extremely frustrating paying these doctors who don't listen to all my symptoms and running their expensive tests only to find nothing but a doctor looking at me like I'm nuts.  If anyone is in the Chicagoland area and has found a doctor that has helped them, please send me their info.  And I hope one of my suggestions help someone find temporary relief.

I realize my thoughts are all over the place, and it's a bit embarrassing because I pride myself in being a good writer.  I'm all doped up on meds though (for the bronchitis) and I've noticed that being on high doses of Prilosec seems to make me in a confused, dazed state :/
PS.  The cough medicine I'm taking is called Promethazine.  It's for my bronchitis...I have no idea why it's helping my throat, but it is.  Too bad I'm almost out :(
Same symptoms here..and also take trazadone
I have been having the very same problem. It started off mild, coming and going. I thought it was just my allergies causing it. Now the mucousy feeling is permanent and worse at night. I do not see how this could be acid reflux. I am going to the doctor tomorrow. Although Im not sure of the tests they can do as i am pregnant. I am wondering if you ever got any results or at least relief?
Hello folks,

Today I've experienced that same exact feeling that most have been commenting about on this thread,feeling as if something is stuck in your throat like you've swallowed a pill that got stuck on the right side of your adams apple.I'm a 26 year old male,in the best shape of my life,working out 6 days a week and into body building to give you an idea

The Irony being I was on my way to the doctor (for an unrelated issue) as I felt this disturbance around 4 pm after eating what us Spanish people call an empanada (a deeply fried/baked corn or wheat based with everything from chicken bits to small portions of potatoes to vegies(I know,I know don't judge me I was in a rush) from a Colombian establishment prior to my appointment.Now, me thinking nothing of it I did not mention it to the doctor as I am feeling this disturbance in my throat during the app because I'm thinking it's some food just stuck there.After my office visit, surprisingly enough I was headed to the gym after a few errands which took a couple of hours.

Hours later as I arrived at the gym and still noticing this feeling in my throat more vigorously because now I'm paying CLOSE attention to it (which folks in short words dose not help the situation at all),anyway as I was saying,and yes you can't help but to feel anxious,as if your never gonna get rid of the thing(DON'T LET YOUR MIND MESS WITH YOU)although it does not disturb when I drink water or eat,It is bothersome.I make my way into the gym locker room,which has some great mirrors to help me look down my throat.I flashlight (that I keep with me at all times) into my mouth down my esophagus right under my tonsils I see what seems to be a shrimp shaped object (no mucus of no sort but yellowish tongue indeed) the shrimp shaped which seems to be part of our anatomy so I'm guessing.After just a few short minutes of doing this I continue on with my day and to my surprise about 20 25 mins into my work-out I could feel the "object" slowly go down my throat what felt like a disappearing act into my chest,so what I'm saying is working-out of any sort might help you! Try it.

Furthermore,After my 1hr of working out I felt fine like normal,but that didn't last long when I got home I decided to eat again(rice & beans with a salad) and the same exact feeling came back as soon as I finished eating,which has me here this morning looking for answers.It would of been nice to see some positive responses from people that had the same problem in '09,'10.Although it's my first day experiencing this something that I have never had before,I'm writing this to past & present people for some answers???

P.S Thank-you to the people that gave an update on some research,that has reassured me to stay calm threw the processes.

((Unrelated issues))Problems digesting food such as: WHITE anything rice,potatoes,pasta,red meats,sugars of all sorts including juices,honey etc etc..I've seen countless specialist Gastros.In the last 5 years I had 4 colonoscopys, 3 endoscopy's done each year by a different doctor,were talking NYU & Columbia residents needless to say some of the best hospitals in the country.And of course nothing has been detected as of yet.Which I should be grateful for,in which I am,but I've been dealing with this issue for the past ten years since I was 16.And by now your mental thoughts are;just let something be wrong with me so they can fix it and move on.I can tell you this It's not in my head,if anybody knows my body it would be me.Don't you think? same goes for all of us concerned about our current situation,which brings me to my next point.What I mention in my next and final paragraph my be offense to some.

probably tonsil stones... look at the back of ur throat and push ur tonsil out a bit to see if theres chunks. those tonsil stones might be whats making u feel like u have something stuck at the bck of ur tonsil all the time
I had that surgery it did nothing
I'm having the same symptoms - feels like something stuck in throat and coughing up whitish foam.
I have the same thing and im really sacard. I feel,like im chokeing and theres something suck back there . what do I do?
Ive had something stuck in my throat for 6 months now and also have a horrible taste in my mouth, also this taste gives me bad breath,which i have never had befor. Has anyone got this taste aswell as something stuck in there throat???Please reply as soon as possible thanks....
Something stuck in my throat,Is it a form of cancer, any body out thier can help please do, i would love to have a nice sleep....
I have the exact thing it's soooooo annoying It feels like a slimy mucus I am in grade 9 and I cough to get away the feeling but my parents get pissed at me I told them about this and there like you just have problems.( they think im going insane) I tell them there is something stuck!! Please if anyone knows if this is a disease or condition so I can tell my parents an fix this. Btw I know it's not a cold cause I have felt like this 24/7 for 4 months
Around 1300 today I started feeling this pain...its something on the side of my throat and its hurts to swallow..and in the middle of the right side of my chest it hurts so bad...Im in the army and I run alot but lately I have been so short of breathe running is a challenge for me :(..I dont know what to do..
hi RoniBelle, did u ever found a solution to ur problem? I have the same problem for  more than 2 years now and still trying to find out what really is blocking my throat. Been to EENT but they didn't see anything abnormal inside my throat...so they put me on medication for acid reflux which didn't help at all.I don't have problem eating. I can swallow my food with no problem...it's just uncomfortable feeling that  there something in  your throat that doesn't go away
i am having problems like this what did you end up doing?
MY SISTER HAS A SIMILAR PROBLEM. dO YOU NOW HAVE A SOLUTION?
I have had this issue for two months. It started suddenly Shem I was on a break at work and has not gone away. Seen the doc, who did the sinus and stomach meds routine...that didn't do anything. I have noticed that mint antacids seem to give some temporary relief. I have also noticed hot liquids make it worse. I am worried about throat cancer as well...I smoke and have for 30 years now. I can't afford the huge amount of tests they would do to get no answer,? I did get blood work done and all levels, including thyroid, were normal. I had my tonsils out in second grade, so it's not tonsil stones. I do know it's making me nuts and I think about it all the time...any issue-free swallow feels like a triumph. I hope someone comes up with a valid answer....this is miserable.
it sounds like you have an allergie to something.have you added anything new since it all started,like a cat or moved to a new place?im only saying cause its happening to me and i recently added a cat!!!!!!!!!!!!
My adult daughter had the complaints of:  “My tongue feels like it is touching something”, “my taste buds are swollen”.

After multiple visits to drs and dentist and tests all negative.  She had not eaten much for 2 weeks. She was put on Amoxicillin 2500MG/5ML SUSP 150ML Liquid.  Within 4 hrs she felt better.  After 5 days better but not well.  

We went to the health food grocery store and walked the isles for anything she would eat.  She also does not eat GLUTEN.   We bought some Gluten free Lemon Wafer cookies by GLUTINO.   She had been complaining about everything she was eating bothered her.  Her comment was.. “wow these aren’t bothering me. “  What was in the cookies…  “Sodium bicarbonate”.    What was in the Amoxicillin liquid?  One ingredient is highly alkaline.  The manufacture didn't know the pH level.  We also checked her PH and Ketone levels.

She started on high alkaline diet of FIGI water with quarter teaspoon of Bob’s Red Mill baking soda.  Also plain lemon squeezed into FIGI water.    Our goal was 1000 calories, burning NO ketones and high alkaline diet.   She started with a sweet potato with a bit of butter, peas, green beans, sweet onions sautéed in olive oil, and small red potato fried in olive oil.   She is eating every 2 hours.  She kept track of all the foods she ate and how much.   After one week of the PH diet she is much better but still is very leery of what she is eating and takes it slow.  Her mouth is not bothering her.

We don't know why it started, but reading up on another blog revealed information about eating cinnamon making other peoples taste buds swollen.   She was eating a lot of cinnamon cereal.   We also have a reverse osmosis water system that makes the water more acidic.
I have the exact same thingI already went to ent they saidit was only allergies, . the docgave me a salt solution nasal spray and corticosteroid for 2 weeks and it helped alot.for me sniffing eucalyptus oil also works since the discomfort came back when i stopped the steroids, ad i cant stay on steroids forever lest i suffer deppresed immune response.  also suggest you put some salt in  boiled water and siff its vapor.
try this link i did this exercise
http://wizardcorpse.com/how-to-live-in-the-now-and-remove-stress-in-10-seconds/
Hi... For 7 years now I have been stoping breathing right before I fall asleep... Feels like my throat is closed off and I cannot swallow... I have just gotten used to it... My ears often have an itch in them as well... Now I had a bout of feeling like something was caught behind my chest bone it did go away with an iv antipsapmodic drug.... However I am tired of this... And not getting adequet sleep... So Im off to see an EMT.... Wrote this as a reply because it gave me relief to see someone else that there throat closes off... Hope you can get help.... Id recommend an EMT though.
Hi there,

What you are describing sound like sleep aphnea to me!  You should try and get a sleep-study-test done and EEG.

I can just imagine how frustrating it must be for you to have to live with this and hope that they soon find a solution for you.

Please let us know how you are doing and all the best!
Hi, For over 3 years I have been having the same problem of the feeling of something stuck on the left side of my throat, I got my tonsils out because they believed it was tonsil then I had an operation only recently to control acid reflux and still hasnt helped, Every morning my throat is burning and then the rest of the day I have the sensation of something stuck, Does another know what it could be???
This is awesome, soohoo. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks to all previous posters, as well. About three months ago, while lying in bed, I inadvertently bit a small piece of dry cuticle off my finger (old, nervous habit) and while attempting to swallow it -- stupid, I know, it got lodged on the left side of my mouth/throat (felt like at the base of my tongue). It bothered me like crazy for a few days, always bothering me most at night while trying to fall asleep, then it seemed to resolve. Then I did it AGAIN! I know, I deserve a DARWIN award. Duh! I felt so stupid. And, it was so annoying. Well, that, too, seemed to resolve on it's own. Then, and you'll never believe this, but while eating a small piece of dark chocolate (the fancy kind with the foil wrapper), I felt like I had a small piece of the foil in my mouth, but decided to finish the piece of chocolate and swallow and not spit it out. It felt like the apparent small piece of foil got stuck! Ugh! I give up! While that bothered me for a few days, then, too, seemed to resolve, about every week for a few days, I'd get that feeling again like something was stuck behind my tongue. I had my primary care physician take a look. She didn't see anything and suggested I see an ENT. I just saw an ENT last week. He examined me with a tongue depressor and long q-tip, then a long mirror while holding my tongue out with gauze. He said everything looked great, no white spots, no lumps, no bumps, no infections, but guessed that what I might be feeling was one of three things: a stuck food particle, tonsil stones (tonsilloliths), acid reflux or a combo of one or more. Your post was the first I've ever seen that it might be thyroid-related and I possibly have an underactive (hypo) thyroid. I'm curious about your comment. Did your friend have a swollen throid gland? For me, it feels like something is stuck on the left side at the base of my tongue and when I push the skin up under my jaw and swallow, I feel it more (maybe almost like a blister, like someone else mentioned). I'm going to try gargling with warm salt water morning and night for the next week to see if it improves. I've also started doing my neti pot again, as I, too, suffer with sinus congestion and post nasal drip. My doctor suggested avoiding acid-producing foods and foods that could get stuck (isn't that pretty much anything chewed to small enough pieces???) and suggested I take an antacid (Prylosec - sp?) every day for a month. That seems drastic, especially since I don't have any acid reflux symptoms. I'm going to start with the gargling and neti pot. I'll keep this group posted. Thanks for all the great posts!!! Hope everyone is feeling better really soon!!! God Bless.
Oh yeah, and I'm going to try your massage suggestion, too! Thanks again, soohoo!
Oops... it was a previous poster who mentioned hypothyroid. Sorry about that!
Hi Edith. Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm experiencing what sounds similar though mine doesn't move from side-to-side. I can "feel" it and moreso when I swallow. It's worse at night and when I try to lie down to rest. My ENT said that it could be tonsil stones, but upon a thorough examination, did not see anything. :-( Hope you're feeling better and found a solution.
Great ideas Trodock! All of us sit at a computer and some take that laptop, iPhone, iPad, etc. up to bed with horrible posture. Can't hurt to try this stretching and improved posture. Thanks for the post!
Thanks cookies. This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I read most of the postings here, and I am not a doctor. Your symptoms might actually be a medical condition that the doctors are not doing a very good job of detecting and solving for you.

Having said that for some people, I can offer a different explanation. Sometimes the energy centers in our throat needs to and does, open up drastically allowing us to express ourselves better. It could be that you may need to express your truth, but find it hard to. In most of the cases you would say "what truth?" that is a very good indication that you are probably going to discover the meaning of this question and an answer to it too. But currently you have pushed it out so much that you don't even know what or how you need to self express better.

That is when the "throat chakra" needs to and does, heal and open up for you. Before such positive self expressions can occur physically the spiritual aspects of you releases all its prior restrictions (such as fears) placed upon you. This type of healing & spiritual energetic expansion may feel like a "moving pain" or as if something is stuck in your throat, but it should not be accompanied by any other physical illness such as bleeding, or excessive saliva production.

You might psychologically feel as if you can not swallow food but in case of chakra opening, there should be no physical trouble in swallowing the food. Spitting out may feel painful though. Depending on how deeply your chakra is being cleaned by nature, your own higher self, or soul.

The opening of chakra pains sometimes lasts for weeks, they come and go over number of years and as let go of your fears & restrictions, self express more and more the pain also goes away too. You will not notice the change but in a year or two from experiencing chakra healing, your over all life would have become far better that it was before. Spiritual pain feel physical without showing any physical symptom, once the growth is achieved they subside and go away. Instead of feeling frustrated or worried, you could feel blessed that such growth is occurring in your conscious spiritual self.

So for those of you who can relate to this explanation. Please be happy your spiritual development is creating the room for a greater self expression. It could be in form of some art you are good at but never pursued, it could be in speaking up what you really feel in your heart & soul, however ridiculous it may sound, or it could be a talent in writing, singing, public speaking, painting, movie making, any form of self expression will do. It could also be in form of exercising your voice to seek justice or some such higher cause for yourself or others. You get the point.

Research "throat chakra" or "Vishuddha Chakra" online and see if you can relate to what is explained there. Wearing a "blue" gemstone such a aquamarine, blue topaz, blue diamond does help those who are sensitive to natural vibrations of gemstones. Drinking a cup of warm water with a dash of ginger every morning (before you consume any other food or drink) will be highly beneficial for you.

Remember this is only in case all other known medical & "physical" symptoms have been ruled out and you just cant seem to fix the throat lump problem.

Remember how it hurts when kids are teething? similarly when we grow spiritually we feel physical symptoms in form of a pain. When our heart opens up and heals, we feel such pain in chest but doctors will find no physical ailment, when we need to regain our personal power , stomach will hurt even go into cramps or bloating, when our intuition develops you will feel pain right between your eyes, and when your sensual creative side needs an outlet your lower abdomen might show physical symptoms, some headaches are actually a sign your brain is rewiring itself for a better more powerful "CPU".... brain receives direct communication from the higher self better going forward.. so on and so forth.

You could also google psychosomatic healing or therapy and see if anything there catches your attention.

Just another answer you might consider. Remember to first rule out all other medical explanations though.
I watched a Documentary yesterday (RPA) about a patient with sleep-problems and that felt tired all the time.  He had a sleep-study done in a Clinic and he stopped breathing 500 times in the 8hr period!  Saturation went as low as 40% and I was horrified that someone would have to live like that!

The solution to him was a breathing-machine at night and I don't think there is anything else that could be done if you are diagnosed with sleep-apnea.
Hi guys, I've had similar problems, I'm only 19 years old and healthy, nothing wrong except I had asthma when I was a kid. It's feeling like a sharp sensation in the back of my throat on the right side. It changes from time to time to different sensations, like blunt, tickling and sometimes it disappears for about a minute or two but then comes back. I am also starting to worry as this is starting to affect aspects of my life. for example, it's affecting my sleep because when I lay down the sensation intensifies, I start coughing more frequently and vigorously. So, in order to go to sleep I have some cordial or some water with chlorophyll in it for the minty goodness, however, I only get around 6 hours sleep before it starts up again. It's also affecting my speech ability because I am trying to clear my throat or otherwise coughing every 30 seconds and it's causing me to gag and nearly vomit sometimes. Water alone doesn't help and nor does milky drinks. The peculiar thing is, is when I drink water the coughs are still dry! Today, I was drinking water and every time I coughed it was still dry and usually when you drink water and when ill with the flu or some infection which symptoms maintain a cough, will be more tolerable and wet. So, I was wondering If I could get some insight on what's happening. I'm not quite sure about whether that is the answer, moraAmora, so please don't comment.
Hi there,

You should really go and see an ENT Specialist and get a Larynxscope done.  He'll be able to see if there are vocal cord polyps, UES damage or dysfunction, etc.  On his recommendation you can go to a Gastro Enterologist for some more tests.

You are to young to live like this and there is a solution and diagnoses out there and treatment/intervention that will change your life!

Please let me know how you are doing :)
I've been trying to find a site and I'm glad like everyone else I'm not the only one. Today I was eating popcorn and a kernel I felt was going the wrong way so I thought I coughed it up and now if feels it's moving around. It seems to be on the right side. I did everything to try to get it up and now I wonder if the kernel is gone but scratched my throat. I'm so scared that I'm going to choke on it. I'm already paranoid about taking pills because of choking. So it made me feel a little better seeing everyone else was having the same problems. I will try to do some of the things some of you posted to see if it eases this weird sensation. It like a kernal stuck and it kinda hurts and seems to go deep down my throat and then back up. It's soo weird and so scary. Thanks
I recently had the lump-in-my-throat problem and it lasted one week. I am not a doctor, but I solved my problem, and this is how:

During the first 2 days of this lump-in-the-throat sensation I also felt slight heartburn/acid reflux (not sure which). I disregarded it because I've had heartburn before. I kept my normal routine and, by the fourth day, my throat had the lump feeling and felt sore and raw. I consulted the "Prescription for Nutritional Healing: Volume 5" book by P.A. Balch, CNC and J.F. Balch, M.D. Under the disorder "Heartbearn/Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)" they describe that this disorder is caused by a pH imbalance and that the lump-in-the-throat feeling and soreness is due to stomach acid burning your esophagus.

If you experience heartburn or GERD then your body has too much acidity - it needs alkaline (basic) foods. Here is a list of alkaline-forming foods that will help to avoid heartburn/GERD:
avacados, corn, dates, fresh coconut, fruits, vegetables, honey, horseradish, maple syrup, mushrooms, onions, raisins, sprouts, watercress, almonds, brazil nuts, lima beans, soured dairy... just to name about half.

They list recommendations. I followed them and now I feel back to normal, 100%. Here are their recommendations:

1. At first sign of heartburn, drink a large glass of water. This often helps.
2. Try raw potato juice. Do not peel the potato-just wash it and juice it.
3. Try drinking a glass of fresh cabbage or celery juice every day.
4. Eat more raw vegetables.
5. Do not eat 3 hours prior to bedtime. Wait at least 3 hours after eating before lying down.
6. Avoid acidic foods such as citrus fruits and juices
7. Do not consume carbonated beverages, fats, fried foods, processed foods peppermint, spearmint, tobacco, tomatoes, caffeine products, or spicy or highly seasoned foods - These are the main causes of heartburn
8. Elevate your head in your bed.

Do not ignore the conditions of GERD - this condition can cause serious health problems.
I too had the problem where it felt something was stuck in my throat. It even felt like soft banana was stuck. Well my reg doctor thought it was acid reflux/GERD. They had me on pills which did nothing. I then saw a ENT, and they did a endo. scope. He said there was a little bit of swelling and he used a balloon to stretch it. It was like a life saver. It work so well. My aunt had to have it done twice in her life. I dont know if it is hereditary? I also did a food allergy test and found out I am really allergic to nuts, bananas. So I have stopped eating them. Hope this helps!
I got over some sort of upper resp infection back in may ever since then i quit smoking and have been suffering the same feeling of something stuck in my throat.For the past few years when i look at the back of my throat on the middle right side i have had this slightly swelled bump the same color of my throat.It bothered me from time to time but after getting over the upper resp infection it has been bothering me real bad for the last two months and did look a little bigger but has went down some i think its about as round as the head of a nail.And on my gums in between the back of my teeth and throat is white colored im a 26 male smoked for 11 years quit 2 months ago.This is driving me crazy and im almost to the point of trying to poke it with a needle to see what happens.I know i need to see a doctor but money is tight and no health ins.Does anyone know what this could be or has any one had this before.I dont have loss of appetite or anything just panic from it sometimes and headache from time to time.Any ideas on how to get rid of the bump.Also some bumps i think taste buds on the very back rightside of my tongue.
You don't have enough acid in your stomach to break down your food.  You may think this is strange seeing as it's acid that is causing your problem.  I have been suffering with the notion of having something stuck in my throat for the past 6 months and it has drove me crazy.  I have no doubt it is caused by stress as my job is stressful.  But I need to work and the money is good so I have no choice but to stay doing what I do.  I have just had a shot of whiskey and I am now downing a glass of cider. Guess what - that feeling in my throat has gone, if only for a minute or two - it's great.  Now I am not saying that you should become alcoholics as there are other ways of increasing the acid in your stomachs.  Try eating pineapple, papaya, mango, melon, banana and any citrus fruit 20 minutes before you have your main meals.  Eat broccoli, parsley, cabbage, sprouts, chillies, and avocado with your mail meal. Eating them raw is best.  Alcohol, sauerkraut, olives, yoghurt and pickles, all of these will increase the amount of acid in the stomach and helps the aid of ingestion.  Check out this website http://www.evitamins.com/encyclopedia/assets/nutritional-supplement/betaine-hydrochloride/~default It's working for me is all I can say and I have all the systems you guys are describing

Hope this helps
Did you find a cure?
I can relate to your description the most.
Please let me know if you feel better?
Did you find a cure?
Please let me know if you feel better?
This is what Im feeling for almost 6 days now. If i am to describe the feeling it is the same thing that I feel everytime I am stressed or everytime I try to control my emotions, my tears. Like a spasm in my throat. It started when I was brushing my teeth, that was after I ate oatmeal with dried fruits, and because I gagged, Some of the food went back and I vomited some of the them. Then after that I got this feeling like something is stuck on my throat. Like when you swallowed medicines and you didnt get to drink enough water and the medicine just got stuck in the throat. Something like that.. I havent consulted a doctor yet.. I hope it just goes away by itself. I
I have the same problem it feels like i have a lump on the inside of my throught for 2 years its effecting my eating snd breathing. The only thing that makes it feel better is burping and it gets worse at night. I have been to an E.N.T docter he said it is reflux i took the meds but im still the same :( Help what could this be??(?#?#?#?$??$#?)#?#?#?#(#?#?#?#?#?#
Man I thought that I was the only one with that problem and I thought it was from smoking in the past but I'm relife to find out that its not just from smoking this helps out a lot !!!
thanks god I'm not crazy and inot alone
please anybody reached a solution tell me about my strange case

three month till now and i suffering from unknown issue symptoms are simply when i swallow saliva i have this feeling like you will vomiting but not happen like you put your finger in your throat to have this felling and like there something press Entrance of the pharynx to have this feeling all time
around uvula area something right and left even in the middle like you swallowing something
i have all tests that any doctor ask and i visited 5 or 6 doctors
all blood test and Thyroid Gland and tonsils are OK
then i have CT scan
and doctor told me two issues

1-stone and slightly inflammation in Sub mandibular gland doesn't agree with my symptoms

2- slightly big tongue root??   am sure it is since born
no breath problem or food and water swallowing issue
i have been taking acid reflux medicine for 2 months ???????? as doctors told me

note : symptoms began 3 month ago after sore throat
Hi there,

You are not alone :)  I have been battling with throat issues for almost 4 years now!  very frustrating and someone who has a normal working throat will never understand why we keep on looking for solutions and help!  it is horrible to live with a throat issue, every day!

So in my experience:  I have a Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction and get frequent spasms and the muscle has thickened.  Why?  I am not sure, except that I have a history of longstanding GERD, have had the Nissen fundo and have long Barrets segment, but still ENT symptoms.

The "lump" feeling is caused by die Epiglottis that gets swollen and irritated.  I feel like putting my finger down my throat all the time!  I have had a botillium injection into the Chrico muscle, Aug. 2012 and for about 2 months I had NO symptoms!  but the injection has since worked off and I am battling again with sore throat, swollen Epiglottis and horrible taste in my mouth and no appitite!

I would suggest that you see an Otolaryncologist/ENT Specialist for some tests to see if this is your diagnoses?
thanks a lot Smiley2000 for the  answer that means a lot i only keep thinking every day why this happened to me
am 21 years 3 month ago i was completely ok   i didn't suffer from any symptoms  like this before
i couldn't  imagine that happened because sore throat
my only mistake that i took tons of Antibiotics and Antihistamine to cure sore throat
all tests that possible i done it
blood tests Thyroid Gland
what can i do more than CT Scan
6 ENT Specialists i have visited
what can i do else?  
did you know any cure for tension  in  Entrance of the pharynx
WOW! I am have been experiencing this for 3 months now and it is very uncomfortable! I burp alot then it feels like there is something in my throat and constantly going down my throat. I have not went to a doctor yet but I am going. I sleep pretty good at night but I don't understand where this came from. Even early in the morning I will do alot of burping!!! I drink plenty water and have always eaten healthy so I am totally clueless!!! But last night I went to bible study and a minister suggested healing so I said ok!!!! She put some anointed oil on my tongue and asked me to swallow as she prayed. I felt better immediately!!!! FOR REAL!!!! This morning it felt ok but I find chewing peppermint gum helps and drinking peppermint tea also. I have faith and believe GOD can do anything but fail and I believe I am healed!!!! I will follow up with ENT just for confirmation.
Thank you so very much, I notice this happen to me after I had eaten an apple.

brenda
I did not have this problem until I had eaten an apple.
please can u tell me is this problem sorted now and what did u do to cure it im in misery here with a similar problem my names kim thanks
Help!! I am coughing up alot of white phlem and a rubber plastic like substance started about 3 months ago and i have also been having night sweats every night for about a year and for the past two weeks or so at night my feet become ice i mean cold to thepoint i made hot water ice water in a minute or two and tightness in my calfs as well. Someone please help
I too am riddled with the psychosomatic catastrophes of anxiety. Once I start thinking about my throat, it viscously escalates into a panic attack. My throat feels as if it's CONSTANTLY dry. If you don't see me carrying a bottle of water, than assume I'm panicking and desperately searching for the nearest vending machine to offer me fluids. Even though it doesn't alleviate the dryness, it helps to at least swallow something wet. This problem has been consistently worsening over the past four years. The lump is directly in the middle of my throat at the bottom. I can't tell if my throat feels so dry that its causing me to believe there is a lump there, or if there is a lump that causes the dryness in my throat. Every night for the past three months I am forced to take a Xanax to relax myself, which only leaves me reliant on a drug to help calm my fears. I do not want to be dependent on a drug to live my life without fear. I feel as if I am going crazy. Depressed because I worry so much about breathing and swallowing. Will I choke? What if this obstruction is real? Jesus, what if its not? How on earth am I capable of doing this to myself? I've had TSH levels checked, tonsils removed at age of 3 (I'm now 32), MRI, endoscopy with dilitation, antibiotics, nasal sprays, antacids, cat scans, scopes through the nose, etc. all to no prevail. I honestly can relate to those who have said they sometimes would rather know there is "something" than nothing. Constant dr visits, undying frustration. I'm losing my patience. I'm becoming bitter. Riddled with anxiety. Every day is a battle lately and I cannot function. It is literally consuming my every thought and making me a miserable person. I don't even want to be around myself, so why would anyone else. I have another ENT appt next week and he has suggested biopsying my throat? I am so tired of this feeling, I've honestly prayed so hard for relief and it has yet to come. I don't sleep well, I'm trying holistic health alternatives but even they are not working. I am sorry to hear that other people have to experience this type of pain/torture, but in a way, it is a relief to know we aren't alone. There is a cause to these problems, and if we collaborate our experiences with one another, perhaps a few of us can find relief. Has anyone tried the Vicks on the neck muscles? I'm interested in anything that doesn't involve adding a drug to my regimen. Decreasing dairy? Decreasing acids? I don't have reflux, my endoscopy revealed no irritation. Nothing. Humidifiers work? Certain drinks help with the dry feeling? Any suggestions are worth trying, please.
Well i have the same problem. ENT told me i have GERD. I dont think i do. i think it has something to do with my left tonsile. I on the other hand have dizziness and headache. i hope you guys arent because it feels terrible. One suggestions, if your throat is bothering you severally, then buy some ginger cut it up into little pieces. put it in your mouth and let it desolve. this helps. i do it all day. make sure you don't chew it...
Hi Matt,

Did you ever get this sorted? The thing is I also feel as though I have something stuck in my throat, but even weirder, I too have a dull pain to the left of my sternum. Please tell me it was nothing sinister!

Many Thanks
What most of you have described sounds exactly like what I have. I've just noticed it today. I was eating Ramen Noodles and while drinking some of the broth it felt as if I got a small noodle stuck in the left side of my throat. I drank some water thinking it would go away, but it didn't. I was getting worried so I went to go look at it in the mirror and I saw a piece of skin that is attached to my left tonsil; it doesn't move and it doesn't hurt, just very uncomfortable. The funny thing is it just came out of no where. I'm thinking that something may have popped out of place in my tonsil, but now I'm not so sure after reading all of your comments. I really only feel it when I swallow, but I'm so paranoid that I can still feel it when I don't swallow. When I swallow I can see and feel it come out then I have to move my mouth in strange ways to put it back but it just comes back out as soon as I swallow again. Every time it comes out it makes me gag and I feel I might throw up. I'm going to go get it looked at but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea anymore.... Please Help!
2 years ago I developed the same problem -I thought it was due to the operations I have had on my back, because I have 13 herniated discs and 4 operated on, at different times. I have disc and joint degenerative disease.  I had all the tests you can imagine, X-rays, CAT scans, thyroid, acid reflux, heart tests, cancer tests, GERD tests, had the Barium swallow, scope stuck through my nose and down the throat, was told it was acid reflux. I had my gall bladder removed last year and thought it would get better and didn't. Cold liquids, certain foods and breathing excessive makes it worse. If i let my throat get dry it really feels like its sticking and when i go to swallow it hurts till my saliva moistens it. Still waiting for a diagnosis and relief.  I have noticed a tenderness just above my breast on the right side, that always feels bruised.Starting to think it might be something other than allergies or acid reflux.
You guys may be suffering from tonsil stones. It's caused by food and particles getting stuck in the crypts of your tonsils. They are nasty and smell awful. Tonsillectomy was my only solution. Ten days of awful pain, Post op but I don't regret doing the surgery.
Hi there,

How is your throat doing now?

The last time we spoke was Dec. 2012.  In the meantime I've had another injection into the Chrico muscle and consulted a Speech Pathologist who gave me some exercises to do and I had a modified barium swallow test that was abnormal:  test indicated that food gets stuck at epiglottis and in the middle of my chest.  Why?  don't know.  I still have to go back to the ENT doc but trying the exercises and just waiting it out for now.

I have been battling with these throat symptoms since beginning of 2010 and at least I am heading in some kind of a direction.

So, never give up hope.  I've also had a lot of ENT visits and procedures and operations to get where I am today.

All the best,
Just wonder what your diagnosis was in the end aa my husband has same symptoms. Blood test & chest X-ray came bk normal, now awaiting endoscopy. He's had thickly cough for couple mths, acid, v dry throat, some weight loss & also had some blood in phlegm & lots of mucus at back of throat. Worried about esophagus cancer! Know this is old thread but interested to know how u got on.
What is yr husbands situation now?
I have the same general problem. My throat feels like it's swelling on the inside and I feel like I can't breathe. It isn't very painful but I do worry about suffocation, especially at night when I'm asleep. My parents won't take me to the doctor and I've talked to many of the teachers at my school and even a paramedic that was on site (It all started when I got hit in the throat by a softball) and they all believe I could have shatter or fractured spinal plates in my throat. I have looked at many symptom sites and looked at diagrams of the throat to try to pinpoint the areas of pain and constriction but I have no luck. I was hit in the throat and more exactly I believe was my Addams Apple. I've been inclined to believe that maybe it's a nervous reaction, but I desperately need answers and possibly relief.
Hi all-- I am having a horrible time dealing with a thick feeling in the back of my throat.  Every time that I swallow it feels like I am swallowing a whole bunch of mucus that never really goes away...but every time I cough nothing comes up.  I get tickles in the back of my throat all day and cough such dry horrible coughs trying to help it come out but nothing works.  It seems to get worse shortly after I eat.  I get flutters in my throat and occasional pain, mostly on the right side.  I am not a smoker, now, but have quit for about 2 years now.  I have recently ( within the past year) been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, acid reflux, anxiety, and high blood pressure due to the anxiety.  I have been taking Prevacid for the reflux and it helps to an extent.  Something interesting that I found while perusing the internet is something called LPR- laryngopharengeal reflux (spelling??)  It is basically reflux of the sinus cavities caused by acid reflux and worsens with anxiety.  I do believe that this is what I might be suffering from.  However.....every remedy that they have suggested has not helped :(  Has anybody heard of LPR and what to do to help it????  Also, if you have these symptoms Google LPR- you might be surprised!
This feeling is so horrible to feel like you have something stuck in your throat.  I have had it for about 2 weeks now and taking Prilosec OTC over the counter is not helping.  Then yesterday it was so bad I had this horrible feeling like I had to burp and just couldn't.  I have had acid reflux and had the similar feeling in my throat a few years ago.  They did the scope and told me it was from ulcers and that was the feeling I felt in my throat.  I am hoping this is nothing major but sounds of things from what I have been reading It is the same thing.  I want to be normal again and people that experience this have no idea what we are talking about.  I am glad all of you have something in common with me and I don't feel alone.
hi! guys i also have the same situation its been two yrs now since i have this feeling, that something is stuck behind my tonsils. I smoke and drink too. I'm so worried and scared that i might have a serious illness or disease, so one day I visit my ENT doctor do some examine and found out that my tonsils has been attack by infections the surface of my tonsils are  like the crater of the moon. So he prescribed some anti bio-tic for a week. but still theres this feeling something is stuck in the back of my tonsil sometimes on the right or left. I will wait for your reply guys hope you can help me..
Hi there,

I have been battling with ENT issues since 2009:  that all to familiar "something is stuck in my throat" feeling as well as changes in my voice and chronic sore throat.  To cut a really long story short:  I was diagnosed with severe acid-reflux/GERD (even though I never had the sensation of heartburn!) and even have pre-cancerous tissue at the bottom of my Oesophagus from this.  I had my anti-reflux surgery but the ENT symptoms persisted.

I was then diagnosed with:  Chricopharengeal muscle dysfunction due to severe reflux.  I have never even smoked, so imagine how bad it would have been for me if I did.

Smoking will definitely make any health issue worse and you should really quit.
Thank you so much for the advise, yah! I already quit smoking its been 2days now after reading all the comments I value my life even more. I hope your okay now?
what did the doctor advise you.. are you still having that feeling on your throat?
is really irritating I drink a lot of water just to flush it out but its still there even my doctor don't know what is it..  the ENT doctor suggest to remove my tonsils but im still thinking about it.....
Hi there,

Congrats on making the decision to quit smoking!  I know it is not going to be easy (I am a choco-holic and if anyone asked me to quit eating choccies I would not be able to do it).  Just persist and you'll have a longer and healthier future.

I had my tonsils removed when I was 29 and I had chronic problems with tonsillitis and it is no joke to remove it when you're an adult, but I am glad I did.

If you get tonsillitis more than 3-4 times a year, you should get it removed.  That will already improve your symptoms.

The treatment for the Chrico muscle dysfunction is medication (Endep and Diazapam - to relax the muscle) but that did not help and then I had a dilation of my Oesophagus and that gave me temp relief and I also had botillium injections into the muscle and 90% of my symptoms improved, but it only lasts 2 months and it is a very painful and uncomfortable procedure and I am not going to do it again.  And last resort is surgery - Myotomy, but it is to risky and I will not agree to it.

The food that gets stuck:  you need modified barium swallow to see what type of food gives you symptoms.  This test is done at a Radiologist with a Speech Pathologist and ENT that reviews it.
I have scleroderma and lately I have had the same problem. Its not that painful but its always there that feeling at the back of my throat. I can't get it to go away no matter what I tried. I have had it for three weeks and I'm scared.
I seem to have the same exact problem like you !! Can I know what happened to you ?? Did you see a doctor? What was the problem?
Hi there,
Did you find a treatment for Cricopharyngeus Spasm? Because I am 90% sure that is what my problem now.
Re: Constant phlegm / nasopharynx area
I had the feeling something was lodged in my nasopharynx for about a week, but prior to that, I had the thick mucous plugs that I just couldn't seem to either spit up or swallow--for probably a year.

I tried everything, neti pot, antihistamines, throat lozenges, gargling--then came the medications--albuterol inhaler (for asthma like problem that developed), dulera (corticosteroid), topamax (migraines), hydrocortisone (I was given a "magic mouthwash" that had this in it), lidocaine---NOTHING WORKED. In fact, I began having the most horrendous panic attacks in the middle of the night, I was afraid of going to sleep. THAT brings about a vicious cycle all it's own (fatigue).

Turns out, after much distress, ENTs (inner ear infections, tinnitus, esophagitis, constant fluid in my ears, dizziness, migraines, tooth/facial pain, sinusitis, asthma like symptoms, gagging)---lump in my throat, began to have the burning behind my sternum (which felt more like pressure, not burning), absolutely no way to get rid of the mucus plugs I could "feel" in the back of my throat and up into my sinuses---

It's something called "Silent Reflux" or laryngopharyngeal reflux. It is NOT the same as GERD--as GERD is confined to your esophagus--and you have that typical heartburn or knot behind your sternum. What happens is that the acid from your stomach (usually from sleeping flat and having structural/motility problems in your esophagus) is washed up into the back of your throat, into your eustachian tubes, up into your sinuses and even INTO YOUR LUNGS. The epithelium in these passages is VERY DIFFERENT than in your esophagus. You are literally burning the lining off of all of the delicate surfaces in there---and you can damage your ears/hearing permanently by the acid going into your auditory tubes.

Try this and see if anything changes. Put a wedge or a few cases of canned goods under the head of your bed--maybe just put blocks under the feet of the frame at the head--make sure it's up a good 6-8". PILLOWS DO NOT WORK. This is about GRAVITY. Don't get sucked into the "gerd pillows". GET A WEDGE UNDER THE MATTRESS and make an INCLINE.

In the a.m. start on some type of proton pump inhibitor--Prilosec or one of the OTC types. This usually is a 14 day regimen.

Look at your meds. Some effect the tone of the smooth muscle of the esophagus--like topomax (topamax) does. Get off of them if you can.

Don't eat after 6 p.m.--and if you do, DO NOT LIE DOWN for at least 30 minutes post meal.

Watch your intake of acidic foods--I went no acid completely at first and have been adding small amounts of things I really like--but for the most part--watch the caffeine, tea, citrus fruits, spicy foods.

Until you find out what may have caused the motility or structure problem in your esophagus--remember all of that acid (hydrochloric acid is what resides in your stomach) as well as anything you eat is coming back up when you are horizontal.

The reason you (and I) still feel it in the daytime is because the lining is damaged--reddened, but not infected. You're bathing all of your sinuses, inner ear, lungs and mouth with hydrochloric acid. The mucus is a defense mechanism--your body trying like hell to protect your delicate passages from the acid.

Use your nasal washes if you like, but after the first 2 days of this routine, the fluid in my ears drained (the acid reflux at night literally goes into your eustachian tubes), the back of my throat began to heal, the knot in my chest began to dissipate, no more headache...and I could swallow. NO MORE MUCOUS FORMATION.

Look up the term Laryngopharyngeal Reflux--and you will see that the misdiagnosis is because an ENT doesn't cover that, a GI guy doesn't cover that, a Pulmonologist doesn't cover that. There is actually a new field emerging to deal with this problem.

Good luck.
what you need to do is get your doctor to refer you to a nose , ear throat specialist.
I have been experience something similar .
My problem is it all started back in September 2013. For about 2-3 weeks I felt like something was stuck in my throat, one day it would feel like there was something stuck on the left side of my throat and then other times feel like the lower part of my throat, it moved up and down or stayed in one spot. After 2-3 weeks I woke up one day  and was sick as a dog, My thighs killed, hard to walk. Throat burned like hot water was poured down it, headache, fever, had no voice. I went to the clinic and they determined that it was tonsillitis and gave me medication. Now they didn't do a swab or anything just looked in my throat said "yes you have tonsillitis". They gave me amoxicillin and was on it for 10 days. I thought to myself great this has been the problem the whole time, finally I can get some relief.
Well after I took the pills for those 10 days the symptoms were gone and stayed away for about a month and then out of nowhere the throat sensation was back. I have it gone away and come back 4 times since September and now its January.  NOW I DONT GET ANY PAIN WHATS SO EVER , when I had tonsillitis that was the only time out of the 4 times of having this sensation.
I find when I wake up in the morning it could feel like nothing is there, then all it takes is me drinking a coffee with cream and sugar and then boom back and stays for the rest of the day. Now  just the last couple of days I have had heartburn bad.
its the strangest thing I have ever experience and I would never want anyone to go through this ever. It doesn't help when you don't know what is wrong with you and you have no symptoms of anything that goes along with the "something stuck in the throat sensation"
Not happy but glad to see some of you who experience what I do. No we are not crazy.
I don't believe what I have is cancer, yes it ran through my mind more than once, but it doesn't add up.
I have no cough, no fever, no sore throat, I breathe fine, no aches and pains, no discoloration in urine,I feel absolutely fine.

BEST BET FOR ANYONE, TELL YOUR DOCTOR YOU WANT TO BE REFERRED TO A SPECIALIST! IT DOESNT COST THEM ANYTHING, JUST DEMAND IT~
TOMORROW I AM DOING JUST THAT WHEN I HAVE MY DOCTORS APPOINTMENT.

well I hope you all can find out what you are going through and hopefully everything goes alright with getting answers.
take care
sarah

take care
sarah

take care
sarah

take care
sarah
I DIDNT MEAN TO POST IT THAT MANY TIMES.
I WASNT SEEING WHAT I HAD POST, SORRY ABOUT THAT EVERYONE
Hi gang...
This is hard to believe this thread has gone on this long. I have had this irritating lump feeling in my lower throat BELOW the adams apple now for 10 years and it gets worse every year.
It used to be I got small food particles stuck in it for days. Now I can loose a whole gummy bear or a large pill there and it just sits there till it dissolves.
Everyone I talk to thinks I am nuts! (Those get stuck also.) Rarely I am able to have a odd cough and the food item actually flies up my throat, but usually goes into my sinus nose cavity and hurts like hell there. Rarer yet, it comes out my mouth.
So I know several things.
1. This is not a muscle spasm issue.
2. The food actually comes out from time to time and then I feel nothing is there, be cause it moved out.
3. Today, I get part of ALL my food stuck there.
4. This is a very real condition, and not in my head or from over excitement.  
5. Seems to low for me to be related to my tonsils that seem much higher and do not bother me.
6. I can not clear out the obstruction on my own reliably in any way. The food just sits there and rots, giving me bad breath and I am constantly trying to clear it out causing more irritation.
7. This clearly is a "hole" or a pouch of some kind to be able to hold a large  pill or accidentally swallowed hole gummy bear.
8. Nobody is taking this serious as far as the Docs go. I am trying to get a scope, but am being referred instead yet again.
9. When I get a cold, I can about swell up and not be able to breathe, and I actually make raspy noises when I do from constriction.
10. Like many others here, I have concerns over long term issues like cancer and other complications from the rotting food always stuck in the same spot. Drinking water does nothing to clear it. Other food goes right on by. No problem swallowing, I just keep getting things stuck in a certain spot and can not clear it out on my own.
11. This bothers me now 24/7 and only let's up when I quit eating for several days, and the food that was there rots or dissolves away. Once I eat anything again, it get stuck all over again.

HELP any body who got better? Heck of a run around with the Docs.

Can ANYBODY give me an idea what the heck is getting worse for me here? Again, this has gone on for some 10 years and is worse each year. I am almost 50 now.

I will continue to read these posts, hoping I can find someone like me actually got better and how they did it.
This is my second day of having this feeling of having something stuck in my throat. Like I have swallowed a pill and it didn't go down right got stuck at the bottom of my throat. The discomfort was felt all the back to my cervical spine. I do have whiplash and damage from car accident. It does make food and beverages more difficult to swallow. I find I want to drink warm beverages. I have been sick with the flu for a week almost two and had chest and sinus congestion and all the phlegm and drainage that goes along , a terrible hacking cough and fever, and fullness in my ears. The weather got dry and my cough has not been productive and it all got very dry in there and I thought maybe that was part of it too cuz I think I feel better after a steamy shower.

I started feeling this sensation after eating. I was trying to eat fast and read to my daughter so I thought I swallowed something wrong. My throat is already torn up from all the coughing.  And all the horrible hacking could have misaligned my vertebres.  It does almost feel like a pocket. I get little burps when it get more uncomfortable. I have been treating myself with herbals. Stress? Possibly. Anxiety? No. Depression though, yes.

It doesn't seem like anyone has gotten any answers. That's terrible! I hope people start finding relief!  I hope doctors start listening and looking!

As for me, I will keep steaming and drinking lots fluids. Stretch and get some more exercise as I feel better. I'm going to watch the herbals and try to keep the stress at bay and maybe do some massage. I wish everyone well and answers and relief.
I've started practising Kundalini yoga last week and few days after developed this problem. Not sure whether it is yoga symptoms or new blood pressure medicine not agreeing with food I eat and causing symptoms of feeling like food is coming back up and staying.
Looking at possible side effect of practising this type of (powerful) yoga I came across this bit. I've done one meditation (it comfortably,straight back, close eyes and chant the words that produce vibration in your throat) already feels better (but still there) as it seams to clear the airways. Hope it helps.
Throat Meditation
Sit in Easy pose with the hands in gyan mudra (index touching the thumbs). Straighten the spine, drop the shoulders and tuck the chin in slightly to create neck lock.
Chant “Humee Hum Brahm Hum” without using the tip of the tongue at all. Use only the root of the tongue to chant. Chant for 11 minutes.