Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Anxiety and ETD
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Anxiety and ETD

Can eustachian tube dysfunction cause anxiety disorder? I have been having horrible panic attacks since symptoms of ETD appeared. I am under a great deal of stress, but I have read stories of others with ETD and many appear to be experiencing anxiety as well. Maybe this is due to feeling horrible all the time. Any suggestions, opinions? Thanks
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
hi there,

there is limited research exploring the correlation between middle ear dysfunction and panic attacks. the theory is the panic attack is triggered because the middle ear cannot regulate balance and the body gets tripped into the fight or flight response. this is particularly noticeable in large open areas, such as a department store or shopping mall.
Blank
Hi!
I can't comment on eustacian tube disorder, because I haven't had that.  However, I went for 4-5 years with my sinuses chronically blocked up by thick mucus that I couldn't clear. I can tell you for a fact from my experience that anxiety attacks are common with that condition.  I don't know why, but I know they happen.  I even had a couple of days when I seriously thought I was losing my sanity.  That was a bit scary.
I've always been in good mental health (apart from the usual Woody Allen-like neuroses), and whenever one of these anxiety attacks hit me, I would just remind myself that there was nothing wrong with my mind--it was just my sinuses.  My sinuses are much better these days, and those anxiety attacks are thankfully a thing of the past.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...