Anyone get PE Tubes put in as an Adult?
Hey guys,

I am a 27 yo male flight attendant just diagnosed with PE tube disorder...  The doc has me on nasal steroids daily and wants to place PE tubes.  However the whole lack of general anesthesia thing scares the daylights out of me.

Have any of you had this surgery awake before???

What did it feel like? What was the worst part? What kind of anesthesia is used? Any pain or discomfort during or after the procedure?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Henry
I have never seen it done without any anesthesia, but I have seen it done with a type of local anesthesia, and the folks never complained.  The doc just adds some liquid drops down the ear canal, and the drops anesthiatizes (sp) the ear drum...

No biggie
I believe the drops you are speaking of are Phenol....  This is what I was told my doc would use...  He said that the two worse parts of the procedure are the addition of the phenol drops as they burn like no tomorrow, and then when they use suction to remove any fluid behind the ear drum, due to the loud noise and uncomfortable feeling...

H