Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bad Metallic taste after dental implants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

After dental work and implants I have a metallic horrible taste and have lost ability to taste food.  Everything tastes horrible.  My doctor has sent me for numerous tests and procedures.. MRI, blood test, CT scan and etc.  all tests have came back negative for any root cause.  I have had numerous dental procedures and gum surgery.  My tasting problem started when my dentist unscrewed the healing caps for my implants.  I had a horrible metallic taste that my dentist told me would go away.  Ever since this I have lost my normal ability to taste, and no one can say why.  I feel my dentist is afraid to admit there is a correlation for my condition and my dental procedures.  Please help.  I'm desperate to enjoy food again and I am terrified I may have a serious medical condition.
I  have had the metal taste after dental work, but it always went away after a few weeks.  I assume it has been much longer for you, and am sorry that I can't be of much help.  It might help speed the process of an answer along though, if you would include the information of how long you have had this problem.  If you suspect that your concerns are not being taken seriously by your dentist, you can go to another dentist who is not affiliated with you dentist for a second opinion.  
Hope you can get some good answers soon,
Katijanae
I placed a Zimmer implant through a punch hole at #10 on 5-5-09. A metal titanium healing cap was placed secondarily. Within 2 hours after the atraumatic placement the patient had a "metal" taste that is still with him as of today.  I placed a temporary plastic healing abutment with a composite and clear plastic crown (3M) on the abutment one week ago. No change and the patient has pain and a throbbing sensation now as well.  I was gentle and careful with the placement of the abutment and the patient admited to chewing on it despite specfic directions not to. He only chewed on  this for one day.  He was taking Buspar once daily for the past two months for anxiety as well as a multivitamin daily. He was placed on pen vk 500 t.i.d. on day one. I told him today to stop all of the meds and did give him a rx for vicoden 750 today. The tissue could look any better than what it does today...perfect. His chief complaint of a metal and an almost bitter taste is still present.  If anyone has any thoughts that they want to share, I would be eager to hear from you.  Please, e-mail directly  ***@****     Thank you. Dr. Bob Haack
Dental implant placement and the subsequent metallic taste in your patient's mouth may be unrelated. Burning mouth syndrome is a complex disorder that can result in a variety of clinical symptoms, including a persistent metallic taste in the mouth. You may find the following article informative: Suarez P, Clark GT. Burning mouth syndrome: an update on diagnosis and treatment methods. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2006 Aug;34(8):611-622. Best wishes in finding a solution for this case.
Sorry, I can not get my mind around your hypothesis.  Two hours after the implant was placed the metal taste presented. This was no coincidence.  It is cause and effect to this doctor's mind.  Can you give me anything more germane to go on?  I am afraid that I will end up removing the implant.  Thanks.
We placed an immediate implant @ #9 (Astra) which healed uneventfully for 4 months. Healing cap and then crown impressions on #8 and #9 were done.  Crowns (Lava) were placed on #8 & #9 with vitremere cement.  Both "teeth" became immediately sensitive to percussion.  Olfactory and taste sensations were altered and both "teeth" had a dull on/off ache.  Tooth # 8 tested vital and appeared negative on X-Ray after one month of duration.  Implant showed no sign of infection or mobility and X-Ray showed perfect placement.  Perhaps a slowly resolving pulpitis in # 8, but taste and smell changes really have me confused.  Any Ideas?
I am here also because of same problems. I am in the UK. I have had four dental implants  - Lower left pre molar four years ago,   both upper left central and upper right lateral two years ago,  upper right pre molar three months ago.  All implant procedures went well with no problems at all, but after the most recent (pre molar) I have some odd symptoms which I wonder could be related to the implant.  Since the day of implant placement, I have had a odd taste and sensation in my mouth which has not resolved and is getting worse.  It is not a pus or infection taste, which I am familiar with.  It is more metallic/chemical/medicinal/bitter, sometimes strangely enough, almost menthol.   I feel it most  on the tip of my tongue, and  the soft tissues inside my mouth which tingle constantly.   It affects all food and drink I consume and seriously affecting my quality of life.   I am not sure of the products or pastes that may be used in the placement of implants.    Is it possible that the implant has somehow  'gone into' my sinus and any products used during placement (menthol?) are leaking into my sinus and therefore into my mouth?  Or could it be the titanium implant itself  causing the taste? Could it be some sort of galvanic reaction between different implant metals, or my amalgam fillings?  Is this a symptom of nerve damage?   My dental surgeon assures me the implant is correctly placed, however he has not done xrays to confirm this.   He has not heard of implants causing strange taste before, and although he has been more than helpful I now feel I am losing credibility with him as I keep going back to see him about this taste and he cannot tell me what it is.   I have had all sorts of tests (hormonal etc) and a check of my upper respiritory tract by my doctor which shows no obvious cause. Please help, many thanks.
I'm having the same problem, even though in my case the taste is not menthol but just bad/bitter andfor the past three or four years it has been making my life a living hell.
I have two implant on the upper left side, a molar which sit on a grafted site, and a premolar. I'm pretty sure the problem is coming from the premolar, and like you i have been going to see my dentist so many times for this problem, and every time it takes it off and clean the area, this improves the situation a bit but only for a day or two.
He doesn't see anything wrong with it, and now he has decided to send me to see a specialist to assess my salivary gland. However, I don't think it's that, for me there is something wrong with the implant itself, but who know what can be!
BTW, I have had the crown, which sits on the abutment, done four times using different methods but nothing change, actually the more they work on it the worse it becomes.
Any idea, anyone?
PS: my implant is a certain 3i with internal connection
Please go and see a organic dentist. Metal shouldn't be in a human mouth.... Simple.  Mercury, titanium, even stainless steel alter your bodys natural electrical pulses at the very least.  
A good naturopath/herbalist can point you in the right direction. :-)

I am currently experiencing the same problem.  I had two dental implants upper left molars.  I did not have this taste with the actual implants.  It was not until the bridge was installed.  It is horrible.  The side of mt tongue burns badly and is now affecting the taste of foods.  My procedure was done last Feb. 2012.  My dentist said he can do the procedure over and it will cost me $3800 Money I do not have.) .  I had saved  money for quite a while so I could have this very expensive procedure done so that I could chew food.  Now I am stuck with this terrible problem. I wonder if the AMD is aware of this problem when getting implants????
I too have the dreaded dental crap in my mouth.  Something they did when I was a kid.  No blame but my own I suppose, but I want to know is, what kind of eating utensils to use besides plastic.  I am 43 years old still using plastic ware.  Will someone please let me know.  Thank you for your help.