Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bad Nose Breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bad Nose Breath

For a few years i have suffered from halitosis from the mouth but only about a year ago i noticed a foul odor coming from my nose as well. I noticed because people would cover their noses even though my mouth was closed and then i realized i could smell it too. I do not have a post nasal drip. I've seen an ENT doctor but she told me i had halitosis, but i dont believe it's from coming from only the mouth. We did x-rays and a CAT scan of the sinuses just to be safe and everything came back okay. I do suffer from sinusitis and often feel i have a dry nose. I was given corticosteroids but that doesn't make the odor any better and i was given antibiotics which did not help. I've been using a special tooth gel and mouthwash as well as rinsing with a special probiotic powder which has helped reduce my bad mouth breath but the nose is still the same. The nose breath gets even worse when i start my menstrual cycle or the day after drinking alcohol. I have also tried nose irrigation systems and drank oregano oil just in case it was a fungus, but nothing helps. I'm thinking about going to a breath clinic because it doesn't seem like my local medical center can help much but i'm afraid it might be very costly. Any suggestions?
  • Embarrassment Odor (1 replies):
    Hello, my name is Connie!!! I have been suffering from ...[more]
  • Nose odor (1 replies):
    My Name Rajkumar age 30 yrs. From last 3 months a bad sm...[more]
  • Nasal Odor (3 replies):
    I have been experiencing foul tastes in my mouth, but th...[more]
  • Mouth Odor (5 replies):
    I have very unusually and bothersome smell - foul smelli...[more]
  • bad odor (2 replies):
    Through the day I smell an odor that is like a bad foot ...[more]
Have you been checked for nasal polyps. When I had those I could smell a foul odor and had bad breath. I had to have surgery for it. I think it was called a deviated septum.
Just because your mouth is closed does not mean that the source of the odor is not your mouth.  I'm not saying that it is, but a closed mouth does not rule that out.  Most commonly, foul odors are from poor oral hygeine (lack of flossing), tonsillar concretions, reflux, foods (garlic or onion-containing foods, for example) and sinus infections.  It sounds like you had a clear sinus CT scan, which should help in ruling that out.  Suggestions include seeing a dental hygeinist, analyzing your diet and asking your ENT doctor about your tonsils.  Good luck!
    According to the symptoms you have quoted:
1. Foul odor from the nose not subsiding with the treatment
2. Dry nose
3. Nose getting worse during menstruation or bout of alcohol
All the above problems indicate that, probably you must be suffering from Atrophic Rhinitis (the condition being uncommon). It is difficult to get rid of this condition medically. There are few options which you can try.
a. Frequent alkaline nasal douching
b. A mixture of 25% Dextrose & Glycerin into the nose (to keep the nasal mucosa hydrated and decrease the colonization of the odor producing bacteria)
c. Vitamin A

Try this initially, if not successful, then you can consult your ENT specialist.

Regards
OHNS2010

Atrophic rhinitis is indeed a very uncommon diagnosis.  While this is indeed within the realm of possibility, I would encourage you to more fully consider the more common -- and more easily treated -- possibilities.  As we like to say, common things are common...
I researched atrophic rhinitis and it sounds alot like what i have. I'm going to try your recommendations, starting by taking vitamin A,D, and iron. Thanks alot to everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the help =)
I've visited the dentist and recently had four wisdom teeth pulled out and four cavaties filled in. The dentist did not mention anything about my breath but he did mention that it looks like i take very good care of my teeth and said he could tell the cavaties were from about 8 years ago, when i was like 14. I brush three times a day, rinse, floss, scrape tongue, and use TheraBreath but it merely reduces the bad breath. TheraBreath is definately better than regular toothpaste but it doesn't completely eliminate bad breath. I was somewhat dissapointed when i visited the ENT and all she said was i had halitosis and didnt offer any suggestions other than flossing more often. I think she checked my tonsils and said they looked fine, but i guess i can always double check with her incase that is part of the problem. I've paid attention to my diet and see if the breath worsens with certain foods but there's just no telling, sometimes it's worse than others, regardless of the food. But it is worse when i dont eat anything and gets better after i eat. Thanks for the advice, i will look into everything. Every tip helps!!
just like the others have said neti rinses but instead of putting the salt water in the neti pot put it in a cup and sniff it like you will do sniffing something. let it go through your sinus then down your throat. that method works better. dont just rinse, sniff hard
I am suffering from halitosis from the mouth but only about a year ago I noticed a foul odor coming from my nose as well. I noticed because people would cover their noses even though my mouth was closed and then I realized I could smell it myself as well. I do not have a post nasal drip. I've seen an ENT doctor but she told me I had halitosis, but i dont believe it's from coming from only the mouth. I had taken some treatment but they never help. But I've noticed that if I don't eat, it gets worse and whenever I eat something, it reduces the oder. I am having dry mouth too as I am working as a Customer Care. So I am spending time talking on the phone with customers. So if anyone has an idea, I will appreciate it because the bad oder is destroying my social life. I feel so bad for that, you can email me to ***@****