Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bad smell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bad smell

Last year about this time I started smelling what I can best describe as a chemical smell. It was continuous from the time I got up to the time I went to bed. The only time it would go away was when food or drink would over take the smell. It did not effect my taste. Then finally the smell just went away until now, it's back. Drives my crazy.

Any ideas? Could this be related to an allergy?

Do you smell this all of the time?
yes I smell this all the time, no matter where I am. Just sitting here typing this post and the smell is strong enough to give me a headache. I smell it in the car, at work, everywhere. Like I said the only time it goes away is when I am eating or drinking.
maybe its the detergent from your clothing???
try to switch it maybe.
not clothes so not the detergent, trust me on that one.
I have a friend who used not to be able to smell at all.  But now she is so hypersensitive to ALL smells.   It started with the smell of "bounce" and now it includes perfumes, air freshners .... She says the smell is so strong, it burns her throat, but no matter how much she washes her clothes in non perfumed detergent, she can still smell the old smell.  It has become so bad that she can't go out at all for fear of smelling other people's perfume (just general clothes wash!!)   Sorry, I'm no help to you at all, but I Do understand how difficult it is .  And there are other people out there who are suffering too.
Are you saying that this is a chemical smell that you are smelling inside of your nose?  What I mean is, that it is not coming from an object, but rather from possibly glands or secretions from inside your body that you are smelling 'inside' your nose?
I have had the same type of smell for three years,i have had a brain scan,eeg,and check ups at hospital,the doctors are baffled,it dont stop me detecting other scents, what i would like to know is if any persons have these same symtoms (symptoms),are they on eye drops for glaucoma.
I've had this smell problem for last couple of years...it comes and goes away...mostly in winter...I have this habit of pulling the blanket over my face sometime in winter...i wonder if it might be causing slight bleeding in nasal duct n that could be causing some foul smell...just a thought...i even went to the doctor once but he was clueless...so i'm just trying to learn to live with it...
My smell issue seems to be mostly fragrances ie perfume, detergent, fabric sheets etc.  Although sometimes, I get a blast of a smell from the past that isn't even around at the time!  I recognize the smell, but can't identify what it is or when I smelled it. But it's very familiar to me!
I also experience a very unpleasant smell in winter only.  The only thing I can relate it to is "horseradish".  I don't know what horseradish smells like, or even it it does smell, but that is the only way I can explain it.  It is sharp, chemically, unpleasant.  I mostly smell it indoors.  No one else in the house can smell it.  I thought maybe it was stale air in the house, but I smelled it while in the gym today, and also while out in the garage (with the big garage door open and lots of fresh air coming in).  I also fear going to a doctor for it is useless.  I have hypothyroidism but have a doctor monitoring the hormone levels so they are okay.  It is so unpleasant.  I wish I could get it to go away!
  Hi all,
  I am new to this community, but I can relate to some of you with having "hypersensitive smell".  About 10 years ago I started having olfactory issues (ie; being able to smell odors and scents at levels much lower than those people around me.)  In other words, I smell everything!  These are NOT hallucinations, phantoms smells or psychotic manifestations, I smell actual scents (exactly as they are meant to be smelled by people.)  
  I have had migraine headaches since I was 7 years old (I am 54 now) and having the unfortunate ability to smell every odor, scent or smell triggers my headaches and somehow the smell factor increases the neurological aspect of my migraines (they are worse than my other migraine headaches.)
   I have limited my exposure to chemicals, perfumes, scented laundry agents/products... and the list goes on, but my home's cooling/heating system ***** in the smells in my neighborhood (chemicals, perfumes, scented laundry products, etc.) so I can't seem to get away from the smells.
   My home is the first home ever built on this street many years ago, I am disabled and unable to move from my home to another one.
Recently I was positively diagnosed with (MS) Multiple Sclerosis, so my doctors think that maybe my smell (neurological damage) is caused by the MS; it makes sense, but I am still trapped in my home for fear of the blinding migraines I get when I go out and expose myself to perfumed, smelly products.  
   Does anyone else have to live with this kind of smell disorder?
SHB-6/2013