Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Below ear, neck area pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Below ear, neck area pain

3707557?1227757738
Not sure where this goes. I added a photo to help explain where the pain is. Its not me in the photo LOL. But my left ear, just under my ear has some pain, started about a week ago. I notice that it gets worse when I eat like sweets, so i try not to. But lately for dinner it started to throb. Its not a ear ache or anything like that. But hurts to eat sometimes.

I dont have any mouth infections or anything that I can physically feel. I asked my doctor and he said they are glands and muscles in that area. In the photo the red spot is where it throbs and I dont know what it is.

Like I said, I dont feel any mouth pains or anything. I DO notice that when I have ate sweets in the past that if it gets painful in my tooth area, i think a filling came out or something, not sure, but like i said i stopped eating the sweets after i noticed it throbbed after wards a few times.

Its been lingering longer now the last couple of days. Unsure what I should do. I dont want to make an appt if its something i can remedy myself.. any advice or suggestion or explainations would be helpful.. thanks in advance!
The area you have pointed to happens to be the lower border of a salivary gland called parotid gland. It actually wraps the ear almost like a "U" from below. Since you say it throbs while and after eating, it may mean a block in the parotid duct, the tube which takes the saliva to the mouth and opens into the cheek opposite the 2nd molar in the upper jaw.

You may have to see an ENT or a general surgeon, or a GP.

Until then try massaging the area, starting behind the swelling forwards, and sucking lime (or you can use chewing gum), the idea is to increase the flow of saliva. You can also use painkillers when needed.

Hope this helps

Best,

Thomas Antony