Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Blocked Ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Blocked Ears

For 2 months now both my ears have been blocked and a constant ringing in one ear and throbbing in the other. I've been to several doctors and they all tell me the same thing, I have fluid in my ears. I've been prescribed Antibiotics, Nasonex, Fess Nasal Spray, Sinex,Xergic 180 and Sudafed and NOTHING has helped.

All the doctors asked me the same question, if I had fallen over and hit my head , If I have allergies, or  if I had recently had a cold or flu, and I keep telling them the same answer, NO!
None of these apply to me. I can't believe there is no medical treatment for this condition.

The only suggestion I can give to all those who are suffering like me is for temporary relief, try laying flat on your bed and hang your head over the edge, as if you were hanging upside down. I find by doing this, my ears start clicking and I can actually feel the fluid in my ears move. My hearing goes back to almost normal but unfortunately it is only temporary.

My condition is not getting any better which restricts me from going to public places because the noise seems to build up so much pressure in my head and my ears, it really wears me out.

My doctors keep telling me, it's just a matter of time and I will be back to normal again.
I pray and hope they're right because I honestly can't live with this condition.

I am not game enough to try the air compressor suggestions I see on this board because I think it can be potentially dangerous but I am willing to try the Valium and maybe try the Zrytec.

Please if anyone finds a cure for this condition, speak up. We are all suffering.
What kinds of doctors have you seen so far?  Sounds like there is something going on with your eustachian tubes.
I agree with Londres70, have you seen an ENT or an Otolaryngologist?
I would make sure to get a clear diagnosis and cure.

If they think you have allergies, please test for BOTH type-1 (IgE) and type-3 (IgG) allegies to your environment and food.  See the URL link to my web site for IgG allergy testing labs, since they are harder to find.

If you have IgE type-I environmental allergies try D-HIST from Ortho Molecular instead of Zrytec.
> See the URL link to my web site for IgG allergy testing labs, since they are harder to find.

It's in my Journal entry, sorry if I wasn't clear.
Thank You edsdev1 and Londres 70 for your reply. I have not seen an ENT specialist yet, even though my doctor has mentioned it. However after reading your page edsdev1 I wouldn't mind seeing about having a IgG allergy test just to make sure this isn't an allergy or maybe it is.
Although my condition seems to be slightly improving, I am still not back to normal. My Mum noticed that I have a red rash running across the back of my neck which to me may very well mean I do have an allergy. So I would really like to have this allergy test done.
I live in Australia and not sure where or how I would go about having one of these tests done. Do I ask my doctor about this test and will he direct me where to go?
Thank you both for your reply.
You can ask your PCP/Family physician for a consult to an ENT physician who does allergy testing; appropriate for you.  Allergies can affect alot.  

Edsdev1 might have some more suggestions too.  :)

Keep us posted.
An allergist can both look at the rash and give you the IgE blood test.  IgG blood tests and doctors willing to give them can be tricky to find.  First I found the labs that offer them, then I called the labs to get an approved physician.  I listed 2 US based labs on my web site (metametrix and neuro science).  Metametrix does offer a home based (skin ***** / dried blood) test that you can mail in.  An IgG test saved my hearing, so it was worth the extra effort (for me).  

You can ask your PC or ENT, but few will run one (my experiance in the USA).  You can always call and ask anyways, can't hurt.
Thanks edsdev1 and Londres70, I'm off back to the doctors again today, so I'm going to ask him first if it is possible to have one of these tests done. For some reason my condition was getting better but now it's getting worse again. I'm so tired of not being able to hear properly. It's really starting to frustrate me because I can't stay in public places too long because of the pressure that seems to build up in my hears giving me an ear ache and headache not to mention it just sounds like muffled noise around me.
Thanks for your advice, anything is worth a try. I'll be back to let you know how I go.
Well it's been 6 months since I sent my first post here and in all that time I still suffered from fluid in the ears along with a tremendous amount of hearing loss. Three days ago I had the tubes put in both my ears and to my amazement I can hear so well I can't believe I waited this long to have this procedure done. I still have ringing in one ear but I'm using drops prescribed by the doctors, hopefully that will help. So far I am feeling a lot better than I have for the past 7-8 months. I am totally amazed by how much my hearing has improved. Ears are a little sore and I can't bend my head forward but I'm sure with time, that will heal too. I have so much confidence in this surgery procedure due to the way I feel today.
Totally Amazed!!!!
For those who have a similar condition to what I had, my best advice would be, don't wait. Seek medical help as soon as possible and hopefully they can restore your hearing and well-being too. Well worth it.