Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Blocked ears and ringing in both years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Blocked ears and ringing in both years

Hi, i heard ringing sound in my left year about 8 months ago. Now my right ear is blocked, and it will not clear even after i "pinched" my nose. I have already done an MRI on my brain and all looks normal except for an incidental finding of an enlarged cisterna magna. Is this tinnitus?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The ringing sound you hear is called Tinnitus. It occurs with disorders affecting the external, the middle or the inner ear. In the outer ears cerumen impaction or external otitis,  in the middle ear fluid collection or  disease of the tympanic membrane and in the inner ear damage to the nerve endings can cause tinnitus. As a result of these disorders the external sounds are masked leading to awareness of normal body sounds. The blocked right ear could be due to throat infection blocking the Eustachian  tubes. Please consult your primary care physician for further evaluation. he may then refer you to an ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the information. I have seen an ENT and he told me that the tinnitus is a result of my hearing loss. Do you agree with that?

Also do you know if the disorders you have described will cause hearing loss? I am puzzled as I do not expose my ears to loud noise or music, so I am not sure what is casuing the hearing loss.
I will be paying attention to this thread.

I have exact same thing.  Mostly in my L ear.  Slight hearing loss as well.
Although I think mine is from taking Metaprolol as it started one week after starting it.  
Have been off if it for long time and ringing is  still there.

I am taking Lipo Flaviniod, billberry, C and CoQ 10.

I am considering trying the Flonaise spray (nasal steroid) and taking antihistamines?
Think the Flonaise would help?????  Maybe it has something to do with tubes?

Playing nature sounds while I go to sleep helps. My "T" is the same frequency as crickets.

Sometimes also my ears hurt .

I hope we find answers.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of loss of hearing and tinnitus could occur with problems in the inner ear. It could also be due to a middle ear infection. Only a complete evaluation can help diagnose the cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.