EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
Blocked nose/ear on one side
by Amos1973, Nov 04, 2011
I have severe congestion on one side of my face with some on the other, but not as severe.  It started 2 nights ago now and I am miserable.  I have a neti pot and due to my left side being completely blocked, have been unable to use it today.  Yesterday, I was able to use the neti pot with success, which lasted for almost an hour before the left side 'blocked up' again.  Today I have been using menthol crystals in warm water with a cloth over my head, breathing in the steam, but again, the left side---nothing going in.  When I attempt to lie down, my nose runs and yet when I try to blow my nose.....nothing.  It is now 2:20am and so far I have not slept at all.  Although I am from the US, I live in the UK now.  Am starting to feel desperate!!!!  Suggestions please.....Thanks!!!
Member Comments (1)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Paderla Anitha, DNB Blank, Nov 06, 2011
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Looks like the sinus drainage has been completely blocked. Antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications may help reduce congestion and promote drainage. There are tubes called 'Eustachian  tubes' which connect the middle ear to the throat, this balances the air pressure in the ears. This tube can get  blocked due to infections of the throat, which can give lead to a feeling of fullness in the ears and the resultant sounds. This can also result in infection of the ears. Consult your primary care physician for therapy. The blocked ears can be opened up by the valsalva maneuver, where air is blown into the cheeks against a closed nostrils, this sometimes helps to open up the tubes. Steam inhalations and salt water gargles can help. Take (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.