Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Blood blisters on tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Blood blisters on tongue

My 8 year old son has what looks like blood-filled blisters on the left side of his tongue, up the back. The blisters have gone bloody over the last couple of days, over what used to look like enlarged papillae and what any doctor that we've seen called "Geographic Tongue". I've done a lot of looking over the last couple of days and I'm pretty sure it's not "Geographic Tongue". He's had that area for as long as I can remember and it has never moved. We're waiting an eternity to see an ENT Specialist here. I can't find ANYTHING that sound like his symptoms or ANYTHING that looks like what he has. He has also been complaining of being dizzy. Anyone know what it might be?
I searched for countless hours for answers to my son's issue. I thought I'd update my post in case someone else is searching for the same thing, one day.
My son, after being seen (thankfully) by a specialist in the capital city had an MRI to determine the cause of his tounge issue. It's a haemangioma of the tongue and something has happened to cause it to flare into blisters. Once I had the correct term for his condition, I was able to research properly...and without the gut-wrenching feeling that it is something unmentionable.

But what I will say is for goodness sake, if a GP tells you that something is harmless, look it up before making your own mind up!