Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Blood in phlegm at back of throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Blood in phlegm at back of throat

Last night I was troubled by phlegm mixed with light colored blood at the back of my throat. It seemed to be coming down from the back of my nose. It lasted for about 10mins, and there was a tiny bit this morning. I've never had a nose bleed before that didn't come throught the front of my nostrils - this time there was no blood in my nostrils at all. I searched on the internet and got scared by something called posterier nose bleeds, but I couldn't describe this as severe blood loss. The mixture of blood and phlegm was thick and stringy and made it difficult to swallow, until a went to the bathroom and kept spitting into the sink until the blood stopped coming. I'm 34 years old and a non-smoker. I would say I was of normal health, and occasionally get nose bleeds from the front of the nose, from the back is a first for me. I don't think I have sinusitis as there is no congestion or pain. I'm afraid to go to the doctor as he was a bit dismissive last time I went to see him about something else, and I think he won't take me seriously. If anyone else has had similar experiences to put my mind at rest, or persuade me that this really needs to be looked at. Thanks.
Hi, this happened to me a few months ago, and i freaked out, thinking that i had lung cancer or something. Turns out it was quite harmless, and that this is a common thing to happen to people. In my case it was a little bloodvessel at the back of hte throat which was pressurised by coughing, but it can also be caused by a nose bleed. As far as coughing blood is concerned it's serious if it's pink and frothy (so i'm told)!
go see the doc or even an ear nose and throat doc won't hurt if your worried about it save you the hassle
It can be from a sinus infection, irritation, or like the first comment stated-a ruptured blood vessel.
I am 58 yr old. I also had similar experience 2 days ago, which repeats once a while. Chemist has given tablets that reduced. He mentioned it due to nose blockage or blood vessels rupture.Previously, I was operated for Polyp in Nose. Recently ENT specialist mentioned after checkthere was no growth abnormality due to Polip.
Thanks so much for your replies.  It hasn't happened since, so I guess that if it doesn't keep happening it can't be serious.  Certainly scared me in the middle of the night though!  Hope it's a one off, but if it starts again I'll consider the doc.
What did he prescribe for the bleeding?
   Hello Everyone,

I wanted to check out some forums before I gave a call to my doctor. I am in my early 20's used to dance almost 9 hours a week so I guess you could say im fairly active, and  just recently started going back to the gym after 3 years. I have never smoked, and i barley drink any alcohol, i even eat all kinds of food to which my doctor says is wonderful. I am never dizzy or shaky, out of breath maybe once in a while. I am never sick either or tired. I recently got paranoid because when i wake up in the morning before i brush my teeth to gargle with water, i  spit up a little blood that seems to have been stuck in the back of my throat. It is so random because i feel fine, but am freaked out by this. I don't even have anyone in my family that this has ever happened to and this happens a little each morning.
hi i am robert 26 years old i have the same symthoms but i got to a point where i cant breath alot of blood came up too im very scared to go to the doctors for the answer but its getting worse ant name for this sickness thanks robert
Everyone with blood in sputum needs to see their doctor

Although it can be from nosebleeds or small capillaries that can break when coughing, it can also be from cancer or tuberculosis.

go see your doc!
Hi.This morning after brushing my teeth,I had to cough and then I spit out the phlegm,but I saw some blood.This has never happened to me before and yesterday I felt normal.Through the whole day I've been coughing phlegm,but it's been norma.Then when I got home and I ate,I had phlegm with blood once again.I've never had a nose blood before or any kind of problem.I don't smoke or drink because I'm way too young for that,but I don't know what I did or what happened to cause this.I'm planning on telling my mom to see if she knows something,but I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea of what it is?
So glad I could find these forums! So yesterday I was hit with a massive fever in the middle of the night and a very painful sore throat. Later today a couple times I would get some phlegm in my mouth mostly regular, but a couple of times it had a little blood in it. Tomorrow I'm going to the doctor because I'm worried about it being mono/tonsillitis.
I realize i'm a little late hear but no need to worry... the same happens to me... when you brush your teeth your gums always bleed a little... i spit up blood every morning after I brush. As long as there is no blood before than you can be sure your toothbrush is the culprit.
i just came back from the doctors with a similar problem they said i had tonsilates and i am 17 weeks pregnant  they prescribed me a amoxicilian and robitussion which was caused by a strep throat bacteria and could have killed my baby lucky for me i caught it early but when i say i have symptom as you i had a troublesome cough which lead to a blood vessels in my espichagous repturing plus i had more symptoms pay attention to your symptoms closely
Hi all...
About 3 days ago I got a real bad sore throat and its getting better, but for the last two days I wake up and I cough once and my mucus is thick with blood in it. It only happens in the morning and then i am fine the rest of the day. I am a smoker and about 3 years ago I had an infected lung.... which was easily fixed with antibiotics.... what can be causing this? I have no other signs of a cold and i am getting regular headache but i have had that my whole life ... any info will be appreciated ....
if your gums keep bleeding youve got gingervitus and need to get a mouth wash and toothpaste to combat this and maybe see your dentist. i used to have this and got corsidal daily havent had it since touch wood