Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Blood in the Sputum , but no cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Blood in the Sputum , but no cough

Hi all,

For the past 4 days whenever i spit the sputum i am able to see a very light traces of blood in it. In early morning when i spit for the first time there is more blood than usual. But this blood does not come always. If i spit 20 times a day i am able to see it 6 times. I am bringing the sputum from back of the throat and not from lungs. I don't have any throat irritation or difficulty in swallowing or breathing. On an average i would say per 4 to 6 ml of blood in sputum ( + or - 2ml ).

Sometimes i feel that i am inhaling dry air and my throat feels very dry.

I am 24 year old male, Non smoker and non drinker.

Can someone please help me what could be the cause of it. ( i know it is tough to diagnose through just words). Please provide your suggestions.

Regards,
Praveen.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Spitting up blood could be due to an infection a sinus infection or a lung infection. Sometimes trauma to the lungs can cause this or it could just be throat irritation. It could also be due to bleeding disorders or certain medications. Would advise you to consult your primary care physician for evaluation and therapy. He may ask for a throat swab and blood counts. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I am also facing similar problem. Did u find why and what is the reason?
Avatar n tn
almost from last 1 year am facing same issue chest xray, ENT xray are nill. I don't know actually what is the problem. any body can help me
Avatar n tn