Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bloody sputum every morning?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bloody sputum every morning?

I wake to blood in my mouth every morning for the past 1 1/2 years, no health problems & on no prescriptions.  I take a Clariten D each morning for allergies.  Getting quite annoying.  Any suggestions?  Dr. didnt know what I was talking about....I had test to make sure I wasnt loosing blood.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Spitting up blood could be due to an infection a sinus infection or a lung infection. Sometimes trauma to the lungs can cause this or it could just be throat irritation. It could also be due to local causes like tooth infections, tooth abscess or periodontal disease. You will need to consult your dentist who will examine you and determine the cause so that appropriate therapy can be initiated.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.