Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bottom of throat seems blocked. [really tight]

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I'm not all too sure how to even explain this. To start out, this doesn't affect any everyday activities such as eating or breathing. I'm a musician, and that's where it's heavily affecting me. Over the past few weeks I'd say I've noticed like a block in my voice when I stretch/push my voice out. It feels like it's in my chest/lower part of my throat and neck [right where those two round bones are]. It doesn't hurt, it just feels blocked and my vocal range just isn't there. It's so hard to explain, lol. Alright, that feeling you get when you do a heavy whisper and purposely sound scarce like a dying lady - whatever muscles and such that you're using there is the same area that feels blocked when I push my voice normally. Talking normal has no affect, seeing how I'm not pushing my voice. Sorry for the lack of being able to explain it completely, but from what I have posted - anybody have any ideas?

I typed in throat in the 'Add tags', and that's a word came up that explains it pretty well - tightness of throat [but like I said, only when I stretch/push my voice].

Also another side problem. About 8 months ago I had a cavity, and the dentist shot me up with novacaine like three times to numb me up [which didn't numb the tooth at all], and I'm pretty sure since that day the left side of my throat has gone numb completely. I noticed it when I got a sore throat about a week after, I went to gargle warm salt water and I couldn't feel the left side of my throat gargling anything. Then I began to pay attention to it, and noticed when I swallow I really can't feel the left side of my throat really functioning too much - seems to wanna push over to the right side of my throat.
Bump.
i have the same thing, but only for about 45 minutes now, I can eat, drink, and breath fine its just plain annoying, does benadryl help?
I have also had this feeling, since about October, where my throat feels like someone has a tight grip around it. i don't have trouble swallowing or breathing, but it's very uncomfortable. I read somewhere that this might be a thyroid problem and that most people have this symptom only at night, but i have been having it at random times throughout the day. it seems to be getting worse each week, and i'm not sure if its because i'm so stressed out about what the problem could be that its making my throat feel tighter. I'm really concerned that this could be an AIDS related symptom because i had unprotected sex not long before the symptoms started to occur. I was tested for HIV back in december and the results were negative, but i still had this symptom. My doctor told me to be tested again and i'm still waiting on the results. I'm so afraid and not sure what to do and the suspense is killing me.
I would definitely not be concerned with AIDS man, haha - don't stress yourself to that point. AIDS wouldn't start hitting you like that that quick, atleast I wouldn't think so. But I wouldn't stress on that man, really.

I'm currently seeing an ENT. At first discussion, his initial thought was that it might be scar tissue from my tonsils being removed [I've had these removed when I was a little kid, though] - so I'm getting a CT scan tomorrow, as well as some esophagus test, then Friday I go back to the ENT to discuss the results and such. My throat doesn't have a tight feeling, it's just like numb - BUT, I think it's effecting my vocal chords. We'll see.
I have this problem too, feels like theres something stuck down there and normally occurs at night, although ive got it at the moment. I was worried it might be throat cancer as I smoke but I looked at the symptoms and it doesnt seem to match, however, I was wondering if any of you with the same symptoms smoke incase its related to that?
Before anyone says anything, yes im actively trying to quit
Yes, I've been a smoker for about 5 years and that's what had gotten me to quit. I thought it could be throat cancer so I just quit, it's been a year now since I've quit. It did take me 9 months to grow some balls and go to the doctor about it, though, haha. But, went to the ENT and everything is fine [no throat cancer], my first instinct was correct [numb nerves that never regained life or w/e from a dentist visit] - also my right vocal cord is a bit more dominant than the left now because of it too. But no throat cancer.