Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bright Red Tonsils and Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bright Red Tonsils and Throat

I am a 30 year old male and back before Thanksgiving of 2009 I took a H1N1 flu mist and ever since then I have had bright red tonsils and a red throat.  I have taken multiple round of antibiotics, a Z-Pak, three rounds of doxicycline, a round of cipro, two shots of rochephin, steroid shots and steroid packs and still the same with my throat and tonsils.  I have been seing my Dr. for the past ten years and he is a great one and I totally trust him, but we are both baffled. I have even seen an ENT and still baffled.  So back around the same time I also had unprotected sex and so it scared me, I waited ten or eleven weeks for an HIV test it came back negative, and the Dr. told me if this throat thing was brought on by HIV that it would have showed up and my negative result was as negative as it could be and I should not worry. I also had a gonorhea and chlamydia test done before that and it was negative as well. So what could be causing this redness in my thorat and tonsils-they aren't sore, a little dry at times and hasn't bothered me trying to swallow food or drinks. They even put me on prilosec, because they thought it could be reflux and allergy medicine, but nothing is helping. It worries me greatly!!
I have this same problem.  You are the first other person I have seen online with the same reaction that I had to the flu mist for H1N1.  I also received my nasal mist in 2009.  I was fine right after the flu mist, but about 15 minutes later I was completely scared that my throat was closing up as I could feel my tonsil actually becoming enlarged. I actually pulled up outside of an emergency medical clinic that I was nearby, just in case.  However, I was still able to breathe so I made an appointment with my doctor who claimed that they didn't notice anything.  She took a swab of my tonsil anyway and when it came back it was positive for strep C which she told me that you get from animals.  She gave me some antibiotics, but when it still didn't go away I switched doctors who again gave me more antibiotics and then referred me to an ENT.  All the ENT did was give me some more extremely strong antibiotics and then suggested that I have my tonsils removed.  I have not gone through with removal, but it has been over 2 years now and this swollen tonsil thing is quite ridiculous.  Please let me know if you have found anything that worked for you to reduce the swelling.  Thanks-m