Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Bright Yellow Fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Bright Yellow Fluid

My boyfriend has had a cough and sore throat for some time now. He recently went to the Dr. and was prescribed Amoxicillin for his symptoms. (He tested negative for strep) Tonight as he was brushing his teeth, a bright, clear yellow fluid the consistency of water started dripping from his nose...a little like a small nose bleed. Can anyone let us know what this may be?
It may be fluid that has collected in the paranasal sinuses, possibly related to a sinus or upper respiratory tract infection, and is just now making its way out.  I had what sounds to be the same thing a few months ago when I was getting over a mildly sore throat and feeling a little run-down.  Intermittently throughout the day, and without warning, a quick trickle of several drops of clear-yellow watery fluid would come from one side of my nose. It lasted about a week, but became clearer as the week went on, and less frequent.  After that it ceased completely.  My guess is that it is a sign of a clearing infection, rather anything to worry about in itself.  He'll just have to make sure to carry tissues on him while it persists.