Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Broken Hyoid bone?? Please Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Broken Hyoid bone?? Please Help

Hello, I'm just trying to get some help, and professional opinions about my neck injury. Seeing as it's memorial weekend, I can't seem to make any appointments, unless I want to go to emergency. I believe that my hyoid bone is broken. However, it is not very painful, and I'm not having a lot of trouble breathing, talking, or swallowing. My neck has always been somewhat slim, so I could always feel the outside of the bone easily. Now, I can feel a significant difference. What happened was: I was training at a local gym, and doing some Jiu Jitsu. The guy I was "rolling" with began to choke me out. He wasn't getting the choke, so he proceeded to (unknowingly) put direct pressure on the right side of my hyoid bone with his thumb. As the choke got tighter, I heard a significant POP and slight movement in my neck. I quickly tapped out, and started feeling my neck. There was only a bit of numbing pain, nothing to even cause much of a wince. As I gripped my hyoid with my thumb and index in the shape of a U, I could feel that my index was able to push the left end of it in and out independently of the rest of the bone. Also, I can feel a distinctive point at which the bone pivots. To me, that screams broken, but as i said before, the pain is only slight. However there is a constant discomfort in this area. The incident occurred two nights ago, without any improvement. The area seems to be slightly swollen, but you couldn't tell by looking since my neck is somewhat slim. Also, my "adam's apple' seems to be slightly tilted away from the area, and slightly more protrusive than normal. The area now seems to be pushed inward a bit from where it should be, and, with a bit of pressure, can still be moved independently of the rest of the bone. Other people have verified that the left side seems to be "indented" or "missing." I know I probably shouldn't touch it, but I have to be sure of what I'm feeling, so I can know I'm not a hypochondriac, but who knows maybe I am? That's why I created an account on this website to hopefully get some answers. Just to clarify, the front, and right side feel completely in-tact, and it feels like the bone broke at the narrow, weak point on the left side. I have read that if this bone is broken, there will be extreme pain, difficulty breathing, swallowing, talking, and perhaps some tongue movement. There is a slight increase in pain for these things besides breathing and most tongue movement, but nothing too significant. All the information I've gathered thus far points to it being perfectly fine, but then what am I feeling? How concerned should I be?