Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Brown Mucus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Brown Mucus

I'm new and have a question. Hopefully I'm in the right forum.
About 2 weeks ago I had some blunt eye trauma. 3 stitches in eyebrow,black and blue eye,minor swelling,some blood in eye.
All has cleared and vision has gone back to normal. I've made an appt to get my eyes checked for this coming week. I haven't done it in years and thought maybe it would be a good thing to do.
Anyways since this accident I've noticed that sometimes when I blow my nose the mucus coming out looks like chocolate almost. Its not constant but do get some, I did start using some nose saline spray yesterday in hopes to help clear it.
My question is could this be old blood from the eye trauma? Maybe from the sinus region?
thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

There are ducts called nasolacrimal ducts, which connect the tear sacs in the eyes to the nasal cavity. This helps to drain the tears produced in the eyes to the nose, that’s how we have nasal discharge when we cry. The hematoma in the eye could be resolving and hence the altered mucus in the nose.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.