Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Burping Ear Equalization

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Burping Ear Equalization

I just wanted to ask if anyone knew what it means if my ear /eustachian tube does not pop/equalize the pressure when I burp. When I burp/belch I can feel the air equalizing in my left ear but not my right ear. The weird thing is when i swallow or yawn both ears (including the bad ear) equalize just fine so I don't think its Etube dysfuntion. Its only burps that do not equalize/pop in my right ear. Is this normal? I ask because i remember both ears use to equalize when i burped. Thanks for any advice :)
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It depends on the air pressure. With burping the pressure may be less, so if the right side tube is blocked due to secretions or inflammation, it may take more pressure for it to open up. Once the infection/inflammation/swelling resolves, both tubes should open up to equal pressure.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.