Ear, Nose & Throat Community
CAN INNER EAR INFECTION LAST A YEAR OR MORE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

CAN AN INNER EAR INFECTION LAST A YEAR OR MORE?
Vestibular neuritis or labyrinthitis (inner-ear infection) has an acute phase (with usually 1-3 days of severe dizziness/vertigo) and then the patient gradually improves over weeks or sometimes months as the brain learns to "compensate" for the damage to the balance nerve, by finding other pathways to receive proper sensory input from the inner ear.

Some people don't compensate well for one reason or another and remain with dizzy symptoms for months or years. Often they develop difficulty with anxiety, agoraphobia, panic, etc. and have trouble in stores, with patterned wallpaper or rugs, in crowded situations, etc. For those people, vestibular rehab therapy done by a specially trained vestibular physical therapist (see lists at www.vestibular.org) can be very helpful. Some medications may also be helpful.

There is some very good info on dizziness, including vestibular neuritis, at www.dizziness-and-balance.com.

If you haven't yet seen a neuro-otologist (also spelled neurotologist), these are the real dizziness/balance/inner ear specialists. They are ENTs with extra training in the inner ear. Go see one if you haven't. They can review your diagnosis and refer you to a vestibular therapist if appropriate.

Best of luck,
Nancy T.
Thank you,

No i havent seen a nneuro, or any speacilist. Just my family doc who diganosed me with inner ear infection 6 months ago. It got somewhat better, but not good, so then she passed it off as Anxiety, but i dont buy it. I dont know what to do, do i go back to family doc and tell her i want to see a speacilist or what do i do??????
I had an inner ear infection bout a year ago and the fluid never left. I have a ct scan on my sinuses Friday dunno why.... its the ears that are full but no infection still fluid in the inner ear for a year now. It gets so frustrating
its been exactly one year since my little bouts of vertigo started, and i began to notice i had sinus problems too. it has affected many parts of my life. im uninsured and too poor to fix it. bummer.
Chronic dizziness VERY commonly goes hand-in-hand with anxiety. The reason is that the vestibular (inner-ear balance) system is "wired into" the autonomic nervous system, which controls the fight-or-flight response, which of course is related to anxiety.

In other words, it's quite "normal" for people with chronic dizziness to have anxiety. Many of these people are helped with a low dose of anti-anxiety drugs such as Xanax, Valium, or Klonopin. These are standard drug treatments for this condition.

However, if your dizziness is significantly bothering you, a problem in your life, you should ask to be referred to an inner-ear specialist (or refer yourself to one) to see if there might be something else going on, and to get the best and most appropriate treatment.

Family doctors too often just say "learn to live with it", which isn't good enough until you've been evaluated by an ear specialist. If you've been having problems for six months, it's definitely time to see one.

Best of luck,
Nancy T.
......  a year ago and the fluid never left

You had a middle ear infection, not an inner ear infection, which is totally different.
No Jimmy it was an inner ear infection i had and now after a year the fluid is still there in my inner ear so i might need tubes dunno we will see i go for cat scan tomorrow.
Countryrena

http://www.valleyhealth.com/images/image_popup/w17_earanatomy.jpg

Take a look at the link. The inner ear is the cochlea. There has been fluid in your cochlea since the day you were born. If there was not, you would be deaf.

A middle ear infection is treated with tubes.

AuD

Doctor of Audiology
well im no doc but this is what they told me an inner ear problem and that i might need tubes. Must of misunderstood, but ty for the info :P
Does anyone know, if there is fluid in both my ears, and my sinuses dont really bother me, why is the doc sending me for a ct scan on my sinuses? Just so odd never had any ear or sinus problems until this...
I was diagnosed two years ago with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo---to make a long diagnosis short it is small crystals in the inner ear passages that get dislodged and cause the dizziness.  See an ENT who specializes in balance and inner ear.  There are exercises that can help to move the crystals.  I suffered on and off for a year with it---dizziness---esp when looking up or going around a curve in a car, severe nausea ---no fun.
how'd the CT go today?

if the sinuses are opacified (filled with fluid) and the ostia (holes at the bottom) are swollen shut, the ENT can rotor-rooter them open to drain them.  the post-nasal drip from them can block your eustachian tubes which can block drainage from your middle ear.

If it's been a year, go see an ENT!
Thank You for your response. I went for the ct scan yesterday. I wont know the results until next week. Actually my ears dont feel very full today (very weird). I did have my carpet professionally cleaned and have been washing pillows vacumming matresses ect. Some doctors think it might be due to allergies not really sure yet. So just waiting on the ct scan. I just dont understand why some days they feel really full and some days not its just a mystery.
let us know what the CT shows.

cleaning, and eliminating places that dust hides (carpet/drapes/etc) is helpful for allergies
CT scan came back and i have a chronic infection in the mastoid sinus. So im on Tetracycline and a decongestant. What exactly is that??
Correction...... The Antibiotic prescribed is Doxycycline. I have read up on mastoid infection and it looks very scary! However the bone in back of my ear is sore at times but not large or swollen. I understand that if the antibiotic doesn't work then surgery?? Lord I hope not! I am the biggest baby when it comes to that stuff. I just hope and pray these meds help.
doxycycline is an antibiotic that should help.

mastoiditis is pretty serious if you're not treating it, glad you are.  if it gets worse, see your doctor!

i'll pray the meds help too.
question...... Approximately how long does it take before the meds start to work. I am feeling better but how long before the fluid leaves?
takes a long time, sometimes months...
I have an appt with an ENT on Monday to follow up with my mastoiditis. Ive taken nearly all the meds and still a full feeling in my left ear. The doc thought that this came from an ear infection i had bout a year ago that was improperly treated. But answer me this if ya can...... why is it when my ear feels full and i barely touch it i get vertigo? Is that from it being full of fluid? It only does that when it feels full. Its really bad when its full and im laying flat and do it.  Oh and thx again for all your help :P
Hi, over the years, about once a year, my right tubes related to my inner ear get blocked up and effect the pressure in it. When I walk or move my head suddenly all I can feel is vibration in my right ear and slight dizzyness. I was always given a nasal spray which cured the problem within 48 hours. Just recently it happened again and took 72 hours to clear. The same problem is now happening every 2 to 3 days, although mild compare to the recent problems. Why is this??? I thought the nasal spray unblocked the tubes for a greater period of time than just 2 days. Should I see a specialist as it is becoming very hard to live with and it is now effecting my work, its so frustrating!
I was diagnosed with an inner ear infection about 2 weeks ago. I Live in canada so I went to see my personal Dr, the ER doctor and the walk-in clinic doctor and all three told me that I have an inner ear infection, I have had blood work done but have yet to hear anything... I started to feel better 4 days ago and then my long weekend hit and I went from feeling great to feeling like crap, Dizzy,sick to my stomach did not want to leave the house..I know that I have some anxiety amybe alot?. I also feel as though my eyesite is not 100% is this also a side affect?

I returned to work today and I told my wife that if i feel good at lunch than I know its the anxiety, Sure enough I felt great just stuffy in the nose and forhead. Now as I write this msg I am not so much dizzy as just out of sorts...I have a phyisical next week where I plan to talk to my DR about my anxiety. It runs in the family I know that.
Good news. I went to my physical tis past week and all blood work was "Perfect" as my doctor says. I asked him is some axiaty may be helping to drag out the inner ear infection, He told me that it may, but very little. He told me that it will just take some time to leave The last week or so has been getting better but still getting ripples of lightheadness.

The mornings are still my struggle, once lunch hits I am 50% better and once 3-4 hits I am like 100%. I drove 160k yesterday and did fine. I belive I have a mild case compared to some on here. I will keep posting once a week to record my progress.
Well back again....

things are improving day by day feels like this is taking forever. I had a few drinks on the weekend did not help things one bit. I DON'T recomend it while with labyrinthitis. Yesterday I felf the worst I have in quite some time mind you I had only had 5hrs sleep. I feel this lack of sleep hampers your recouvery. All in all each and every day is the same again by 10-10:30 almost all symptoms are gone with the exeption of the odd light head but nothing that makes me stop and think.

I have read that having labyrinthitis for a period of time makes some people think they are getting worse when in actual fact they are getting better. I guess what I am trying to say is that after some time with labyrinthitis your mind is telling you that you are dizzy and that you are light headed kind of a mind over matter thing?..Not sure on this thery.

I have a loving wife that keeps pushing me to not think about it and when she is there to push I feel better.

With my condition with the semicircular canals, once cured (surgery) there is an exorcise that is used to train your brain of the new you.  something with the eyes and ears but I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the exorcise.  Either way I'll assume this is in essence what they are talking about.  As you get better your eyes and ears are still trained for the bad conditions and since things are changing your eyes and ears are telling your brain things are not right.  Just a complete uneducated guess.
Well another week has gone by...I feel that I have had the best week thus far. Last weekend was awsome with very little going on. all symptoms were almost non active. This past week was great other than Wed,Friday mornings they were not to good with boughts of light headness. My walks in the mornings have improved.

I walk my dog everyday twice a day for about 30 min. In the morning I would walk about 2-3 min before I started to feel lightheadness now its almost at the end of our walks. In the afternoon when I get home from work I take him again but never have I felt lightheadness in the afternoon. Well here is to another good week...

Cheers
Hi, this is my 3rd episode of inner ear issues in 6 years, was disgnosed with labyrinthitis by an ENT on last bout approx 3 years ago ... this recent bout had a mild acute phase few days of nausea approx 1 week of imbalance, then recovery, into 5 weeks recovery with just an eggshell head now. I went back to work after approximately 10 days, im a rep, drove for 3 hours in chronic weather, got bad tension headaches, like brain meltdown, thought i was going to pass out of i drove another minute,  worked myself up into an anxiety attack, that was approx 3 weeks ago ... my other symptoms have pretty much subsided with the help of a chiropractor who has worked on my neck and back (GP has helped very little,  recommending rest), the headaches are easing, however driving is still an issue ... I can drive for approx 10 kms and if keeping to 60 kmph all is fine but as soon as i hit the freeway the brain melt starts again ... has anyone got an similar experiences with the driving in the recovery phase ??? im also due to fly longhaul in 2 wks not sure if there will be issues ....
I have no problems with Driving. I have a 4hr drive ahead of me this Saturday and feel that I will be fine. I am coming out of my best day yet..Well until I felf so good I started to clean the basement and now I feel exausted....I do hope you are feeling better soon.....This labyrinthitis realy *****.................
Well I have to say I have improved ten fold. The mornings are getting better no more knock on wood am I feeling dizzy walking the dog at anytime. Big box stores are a bit of an issue as I found out last weekend as I felt dizzy but when I left the store I was fine...Not to sure what that was, But like I said for the most part I am doing a lot better...Yaaaa for me. Sorry for anyone else that is going through this but you will get there....Cheers
Well things are coming fine. I was out on a boat Friday wakeboarding not to sure if it was a good idea at the time..But not having went through with it I was fine...I stll have this issue with mornings though for about 1hr my head just feels so cloudy then it clears up.

Again not sure if its my body mimicing the past symptoms?. I am trying to forget about it and when I do I for the most part am fine....

Cheers.
J
I am battling an inner issue as well; will be one year in August when my nightmare started; unresolved labyrinthitis.  

The best advice from all the physicians that assessed me was to stay as active as possible.  

I have a wonderful husband that is very supportive.  I work, clean house, bike ride, etc.  I don't drive, but it is not a big deal when you live in Europe/France.  When I get my dizzy spells I just slow down and take some deep breaths and keep on pressing on.  
It's over......Yep..

It has been about 2 weeks since my last post, Over those 2 weeks I came to relize that the last bit of the inner ear infection was mental. I could do everything fine without loss of balance or dizzynes. When I was alone just doind nothing is when I felt the symptoms more. When I was up walking around and not thinking about it I was fine. So that being said...

I just kept telling myself that it was just in my head and I needed to change my way of thinking. So I did and the last week and a half have been amazing. Over the span of 48 hrs is when it took affect and I was rid of the inner ear infection. Then came the mental part....That took a week or so...When I have not ate much throughout the day I get light headed and feel asthough inner is making a comback (Knock on wood) but then I tell myself nope u gotta eat man....Sure enough I eat and 1/2hr passes and I feel fine...

Well Here is hoping this does not come back...I hope my updates have helped you...And I realy feel for those of you who have this terminaly...I feel blessed to have been given a chance to have a peak into your world. Since I have had he IEI my life has changed so much. I nolonger take everyday for granted. I used to play video games 7hrs a week whitch is not that bad compared to most, Now I am in the process of selling off my collection to buy camping gear for my wife and I to get out and enjoy life. I have also stopped being so cridical of the inlaws and just taking things as they come and relizing that they are part of my wife and have to embrace this.

I think having this has oped my eyes to a whole new world. I find myself taking life day by day and I am also planning into the future as the old me would just live everyday as it were my last...I am not a religious man, Just a guy who has found new meaning.

Cheers
J
WOW...Its been about 2 months since I lost my IEI(Inner Ear Infection). I now have a new battle. My wift again..lol caught a nasty sinus cold lasted for about a week then I got it. Now for me it took two weeks to get rid of it. I went for a drive 2 weeks ago to a lookout and while I was driving up the hill my ears did not pop like they do every time...Then felt me ear and I was like there was a liquid it there..Left it for a couple days before going to see my Dr.

He said that there is some fluid in my left ear and no infection. He then told me that he could not give me anything for it and that the liquid that was left over from your sinus cold will re-obsorbe back into your body. He also said that there is nothing he can give me to help with the recovery. Man this year suks for me...I am home today called in, just feel so light headed. My symptoms include.
- Light headness
- Mild dizzyness
- Drosy
- Sick to my stomach(Comes and goes)
- Weakness in my legs and arms(only parts of the day)
- Ear rings once or twice a day
- Pain in ear very mild.
Well like before I will update weekly on this issue..
So I think I might have water in my labyrinthitis if this is possible?...Still feel like crap. A different kind of dizzy and feeling.....
Sounds like a flare-up of Labyrinthitis.  The Labyrinths of the ears contain fluid-filled sacs that become inflamed with Labyrinthitis.  

Are you seeing an ENT Specialist?  
I am not seeing an ENT. My Dr seems to thing that it is water build up and he said not to worry it will go away on its own. it is getting better though. I went up the mountain here in our town and ears poped right away unlike last time where it took half hr

Cheers for commenting Londres70
Glad it is resolving.  You will probably be prone to these types of problems, so take care of yourself, i.e. plenty of sleep, good nutrition, no alcohol or caffeine.  

In your words "Cheers"  :)
I have apt to see my Dr on Tuesday to get refered to an ENT Specialist. Not to sure on this one My feelings are like Labyrinthitis but they come and go as they want unlike the Labyrinthitis where it cleared up by lunch or so. today for instance I was at work at my computer working away I got up to get some water and when I returned the computer screen was differend somehow. I started to become dizzy and out of sorts. I worked through it and it was like a lightswitch 20 min later I felt asthough it had cleared up and it did...Like the Labyrinthitis I feel 100% better sitting or laying down. My anxiety is next to not present thank god..
Have the ENT Specialist rule out Labyrinthitis and Meniere's.  

Do you notice these problems when changing positions?    
I notice them more so at my desk. But I also notice them turning and walking at the same time. I was at the dentist yesterday for 1.5 hrs with the blood flowing to my head, but it did'nt bother me when I got up?..

Also I get it more often at work then I do on weekends and just being at home. Mind you I am not moving around at the pace I am at work that I am at home. What do you think it is?..
I was thinking of BPPV too.  

You don't have any other medical problems?  i.e high blood pressure?  Diabetic?
Nope I had my physical back in the summer and everything came back fine. My dr also ran more tests after I went to him with my Labyrinthitis. I have been home all afternoon on vacation for the next week. And have need cleaning out the basement twisting turning bending and carring items up a flight of stairs and have had no sign of any symptoms...Just a little headace cumming on...
I would recommend having Meniere's and BPPV ruled out.  

Labyrinthitis does not usually come and go throughout the day.  
Ok thanks, I will update after my apt with my GP. Its nowhere near what it was two weeks ago..

Have a great weekend Londres..;-)
Hello again, I had to create a new account as there is a glitch with my password?...At ant rate I have a new account.

OK where I left off. I just came back from a weeks holidays this past monday I had an apt with my GP two weeks ago..But canceled because I started to feel alot better. During my week off I reconnected with my family and just did some hiking and relaxing. I did get stressed when some family issues came up witch led to a vision migraine..It took about 3 days to clear up..I have started to listen to yoga music to help relax me after work and it is helping wonders. Since the migraine Ihas cleared up I am getting little muskle spasams on my forehead, Nothing that bad but it has taken all week to go away...It comes and goes more when I am tired at night.

- Light headness.....GONE
- Mild dizzyness........GONE
- Drosy.....................GONE
- Sick to my stomach(Comes and goes).........Gone
- Weakness in my legs and arms(only parts of the day)............GONE
- Ear rings once or twice a day.........GONE
- Pain in ear very mild.........Still there at times...

I have become very gitty,kind of all over the place and extremely positive this past week...I am not sure where this is coming from. My wife and I have started eatting more healthy and drinking lots of water everyday the past two weeks and feel amazing.

I know I have Anxiety issues and am woring through them. On another up side my heart fluttering witch I know is caused by anxiety has been absent for almost a month now.

DO you think this is due to taking more care of myself and or relaxing and trying not to let things make me so anxious?

J
All symptoms that I did have are gone..But does anybody forget what normal is after haveing the inner ear infection?..I for some reason cant remember what normal feels like because I have been watching my body like a hawk over the last few months just not sure....
Hello all once again.

My account seams to be working again. So its been awhile but all is good on my end still a little water in my right ear, Received the flu shot in November to ward off any potential bugs..All in all I am well.

I am Realizing that I need to relax and take at easy if I want to be around for a long time, Its hard for me to do this but I am slowly re-training myself to be just that and not let the small things bother me anymore...
can a ear infection last for 3 years?

What a nightmare everyone... I have been dealing with headaches, dizziness, nausea, and balance issues for over a year.  I have had CAT scans, MRI's all normal. A year ago I found out I had an inner ear infection and the did a balance test that showed left ear weakness.  Well I had this procedure.  The doctore put this long needle in my ear and injected prednisone in the ear.  It helped for the most part.  So, last fast forward.  My symptoms are back and has hung around for about two months.  I had another hearing and balance test.  In addition, I had another sleep test.  Ok, so the sleep apena is still there, but the doctor says my problem is not due to the sleep apena.  The balance test showed left ear weakness still.  So, he want's to put me on an antidepresant which is suppose to cure the inner ear infection, dizzness, and headaches.  I'll try anything, but taking an antidepresant is a NO!  There has to be another way.  I know one thing I am tired of this.  
I have been getting dizzy for almost a year now. The Dr told me I had an inner ear infection and gave me medication for dizziness. I have had a CAT scan and was normal also seen a ENT Dr and have another appt. soon with them to check the results to my blood tests and brain wave test. Also I have an appt. coming up with a neurologist. I hope they figure out what is wrong with me. I was told by an ENT that it sounds like either a crystal behind my ear came unattached or something else that I can''t think of thhe name (some kind of headaches). I thought it was from drinking so much pop so I quit drinking that and was still going on. Then I thought it was from cigarettes so I quit smoking and started takin g benadryl on the same day everyday twice a day. I didnt get dizzy again until I ran out of benadryl and didnt take it for a few days. So I would suggest while waiting for your appts. to try benadryl and also they have things to bring the immflamation down that you can get at the pharmacy.
OK I am back again... Both urbanpanther & Uniha our my old accounts throughout this thread. I have yet again lost my info. I have saved it in a safe place so that I wont loose it again.

OK here we go if you have been following my story you will know a round about way as to my current condition. My last post was in January. My GP set me up with a ENT I am suppose to be there right now..But I canceled. All my symptoms that I have been talking about seem to be Anxiety related. all the symptoms only come on when I am tired not enough sleep or when I get relay nervous?...My biggest hurtle now is my PVC's caused from anxiety. This started around the same time as the inner ear infection....

Everything has been a lot better for the past 4 months. I still get the odd moment/day where I feel crappy but its a lot better.

All the best
J
Hope all is well with everyone;). OK so I kept putting off my ENT apt because everytime I feel better I think its gone. Well I am going this time. I have an ENT apt in a couple weeks and I am going. I have had a realy good year regarding my IEI. I had a small bout a couple months ago that lasted a week. Other than that I am fine.

I just keep taking it day by day.

J
I have a constant dizzy feeling all of the time, it feels like I am walking on a boat on choppy seas, I also blocked nasal passages and anxiety problems due to life changing events that have taken place over this last year.

Isie
Have you been to anyone about this?..
Life s good...Hope everyone gets feeling better soon:)
****UPDATE****

Still doing great. Merry Christmas and a happy new year:)

Cheers
J