Ear, Nose & Throat Community
CHRONIC BLOCKED EARS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Viewing 201-246 comments:
Look at my post of November 23, 2010 and do the pranayam regularly, with concentration.
Come back to report your progress.
   I find the best help is from a Yoga DVD for healthy back and neck.  I can't find the link to my DVD but google yoga for healthy back and neck, they will give you exercises to correct posture and to sit and stand correctly all day long.  This is the major help for my stopped up ears also lying on the bed with my head leaning back a little past the edge, this is a good exercise to correct head forward posture and it helps drain the ears and sinuses.

When standing or sitting, I have to be careful putting my head back as leaning only my head back closes my Eustachian tubes, I have to lean my shoulders back but keep my head looking ahead straight and level.  

to Hava,

I have incorporated your breathing exercises into my daily life, they are not the cure but they help a great deal. Thanks

That is two things from Yoga helps cure my vertigo, those ancients were on to something good.

Also I still use the nasal steroid spray ever so often but only when my sinuses stop up.

Another great thing is the Nealmed bottle with saline water and a squirt of 4 way nasal spray in the red bottle.

I am doing great but I must spend about 2 hours of exercises to keep doing great. At 69 I think arthritis requires me to have absolutely correct posture.  Many young people spend a lot of time exercising to stay in good health too.
Sorry but I'm usually very busy in my day to day life and I usually do not have the time for these or recreational things, if I get a chance to I will try it out.
I'll check it out thanks, but I don't see how the cold is connected to this or is it just a very big coincidence.
It is good to see you are getting the benefit of pranayam and posting regular updates. This feedback is helping others to keep doing the pranayam and improve the quality of life, by keeping the body healthier.The ancient knowledge of pranayam and its benefits, is being passed on, in a simplified manner by Swami Ramdev. Setting aside some time to service the body, will help a person stay healthy.
This thread scares the hell out of me.
Reading folks who are trying things for months on end to fix a problem.
I've had a blocked ear for 3 days now and its already the end of the world. Left ear by the way for those who think its right only.
Doc said wax - I cleaned my ear out - seemed to clear it - then my ear blocked again - and not a lot of wax there.
Had sinus problems over a decade ago.

So reading though all this thread - here's what I am going to try --
Keeping them dry when I shower ( I was letting water get in thinking it was cleaning them out )
Not prodding them ( I was cleaning them out with tips to make sure no wax build up )
Diet change - as much of anti-mucus as I can stick with
Not eat before bed
Steam in the shower
Drinking warm water regularly
And to top it off - the leg press and tricep extension

If I still have a blocked ear in a week I'll be off to see a doc - thanks all for the advice in this thread - its great - scary, but great.
Also do this pranayam for more than 15 minutes everyday, and it will help the blocked ears.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
January 17, 2011
When there is a sore spot on my back I usually put a small pillow between the spot and the bed and it works out the kinked vertebra.   A week ago I did that and fell asleep but woke up to all my muscles doing the jerk like a person with Parkinson's  disease; after about 30 minutes I moved off the pillow and the jerks stopped instantly.  Must have been pinching an important nerve.

Today I was rolling my head around and there was a spot where my head was perfectly balanced but that was on a sore spot and it made my body unbalanced so I rolled my head backward and forward so that I never got too unbalanced; then I took a walk... all the while rolling over the sore spot;  after about 30 minutes I noticed the sore spot had moved to the center of my shoulder blades but it was still the spot that affected my balance.

So my back is definitely causing my vertigo and when my ears clog up that too definitely gives me vertigo.
I think if a ear is blocked due to wax then he can put oil on his ear , so that it get loosen and the wax come out !
You can also put some luke warm oil ..so the wax come out fast !

Protein Powders-http://www.lamuscle.com/products/proteins
  I woke up during the night with the sore spot on my back hurting so put the tennis balls in a sock there to relieve the  pain but I fell asleep.
I woke up at 3:30 am and the pain was gone but I was so wobbly I could barely go to the bath room.
  It was almost like the first time I first got sick except this time my sinuses and Eustachian tubes are perfectly clear and my ears barely have a ring to them and no spins at all.  I laid in bed till 6:30am but still felt the same, I considered 911 but they would give me antivert and muscle relaxant which I had on hand so I took it and went back to bed, that is when the electrical storm started in my head and back, at one point it was like a swim cap was pulled over my brain and under the skull it was pulled tight and then released.  It was all too much for me so I went to sleep till afternoon; I woke up to my back with muscles so sore and tight that it was like a sheet of armour.  I wonder if some place in the brain there is a program to pull on this and that muscle until it readjust the spine and that is what all the jerking was about.

Anyway I ate lunch and felt like a million bucks, not dizzy and back not hurting.  Life is amazing.  Too bad I couldn't get muscle relaxants until the third year of sickness.
  In desperation I went to a Acupuncture guy, his office looked like a doctors office complete with a nice looking secretary and hundreds of file folders in the back ground.

I thought this was the stupidest thing I ever have done..... So I pay some joker $80 to stick some pins in my body.  My sucker alarm was screaming at me to get up and leave but I stayed. So, anyway this guy gets me to lay on a tablelike bed and he sticks two pins in each hand and foot, then he leaves me for about 30 min or more and when he comes back my ears are clear and for 3 days I have felt completely well.  It is like an anticlimax, it seemed to be much to do about nothing.  But it seems to be the end of my nightmare of 3 years.  I am still in shock, I just can't believe he could cure me so easy, no million dollar machines, no series of test, he just did it like it was nothing.  Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming.
I, too, have had full ears for a long time.  At least 10 years.  I'm wondering if anyone else had had the experience of a very large tonsil consistently blocking their eustachian tube.  I'm guessing this may be what is going on, but I finally insisted on an ENT specialist (my general has already gone through all the advice that ENTs seem to have given people, above).  In any case, just wondering if a large tonsil might be causing this for anyone else.  Unfortunately, taking those suckers out was out of fashion when I was a kid.
this same problem i have.
call me 9311961676 ( delhi)
Great now i know what to get for my stuffy nose and my blocked ear icouldn't sleep. My dad wanted to take me to the hospital and give me ear drops ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh scared of hospital they might cut my ear heck NO!!!!!!!
ihave suffered with back of nose and ears feeling stuffed up constantly making breathing difficult for about 4 years .I have been seen by several specialists have had grommetts fitted - no use- been diagnosed as untreatable nerve damage to ears resulting in fitting 2 hearing aids which I hate.My friend suffers from hay fever and had excellent results from a machine she bought from Lloyds chemist called Allergy Reliever at cost of £15.00 I tried one within two days was able to breathe normally/stuffed up feeling disappeared/ my hearing showing vast improvement hearing aids not required delighted with results.Machine consists of small battery operated machine with two connecting probes which fit in nose and uses red light therapy to work.Use for 3 minute sessions up to4 times a day .A few people may be unable to use machine but chemist will advise but only available from Lloyds
Hi:) it is so encouraging to hear the success stories. I have had blocked ears, particularly in my left ear, for the past 2 years and although sometimes this feeling goes away, it is usually there. I also get the numbness in the left side of my body, particularly my face and pretty severe headaches. The irritating thing is the dizziness that comes with it mostly. I have found exercise works for me and I had been seeing an Acupuncturist for a while whom said that it was all related to my back. I try not to put too much pressure on my back and eat healthily. I still have these symptoms of migraine (according to the ENT) but not as severe. I find keeping my head, hands and feet warm particularly diminishes the severity of these symptoms and helps me take back control. It seems to be a common unfortunate thing, but I believe being sensible with simple remedies such as good diet, exercise, sleep and lots of water helps the circulatory system in doing its job properly.
I was a passenger in a car on a long trip.  I quickly turned to the driver and heard a click near my thyroid and a pull on the muscle under my ear. A week later I had a clogged ear and shortly after, both ears were clogged. What happened?  Did anyone have a similar problem?
I had the same problem with my ears after having an  sinus infection that led to an ear infection.  After 4 weeks of self medicating, I went to the doctor and he gave me Amoxicillin and Prednisone.  With minor side affects, my ear infection, blockage cleared up within a week.  I also take meds for high blood pressure and did not experience any changes in my heart.  The only side affect I experienced was a bit of insomnia which is from the Prednisone.  Hope this helps!
Try blowing warmed air up nose with hairdryer on full blast. Works beautifully, and is cheaper than some of the stuff recommended, also saves having to ask partner!!!!!
Hi.  I have looked at this forum many times as I have suffered with blocked ears for about the last 6 months.  I have tried many things to alleviate it (doctors, anti biotics, sprays, ear candling, herbal medicines and meditation) but I have now found something that has made a BIG difference - a neti pot.

My brother introduced me to the wonders of a neti pot as he suffers with sinus problems.  I didn't think my blocked ears were from a build up in my sinuses but the neti pot has worked wonders - after only one try of it I could instantly hear better.  I've been using it for the last few weeks and my ears are almost completely better (I know that a few weeks more will cure it completely).  It's amazing.  When I (softly) blow my nose after using it my ears feel so much better.  I've never written on a forum like this before but feel people really need to give this amazing, cheap and scientifically proven and respected product a try, it may well work for you.  Here's a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

My brother ordered mine and I'm not sure where he got it but here's a link on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Institute-Ceramic-Neti-Pot/dp/B000WJIC3G (maybe the best $11.72 you'll ever spend).  All the best :-)
i am suffering from ear problem for two years.I can control my ear drums.my ears are blocked too.if i swallow anything i feel my ear drums moving inside.I have consulted with many doctors but they think that it is my imagination.i am very disappointed with their answers. i do not know to do.
Do this to help with blocked ear.
Breathe in,
Close  both your nostrils with thumb and forefinger,
Blow out hard, keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards).
You will notice the ear drum moving.Repeat this 3 times.
Do this only once per day.

Also do anulom vilom pranayam for 20 minutes, twice a day.
October 12, 2011
my ears are not blocked.i feel always heaviness in my ears.i cant say
anything loudly, i feel very  slight pain when i speak loudly.i had done the
same thing as you are saying, before and by doing this i made my ear drums
free.now ,whenever i swallow anything or listen to loud music my ear drums start moving.and i can move my ear drums without any pressure.this is giving
me lot of trouble and i am afraid of being deaf.no one is believing that i can control my ear drums.but by exerting pressure for one year i have created this
problem.also i have a problem of allergy from dust,spices.whenever i suffer from cold, my ear problem also increases.  
Something you can do yourself.
Ujjayi pranayam 5 to 21 times daily.
Anulom vilom 20 minutes, twice a day.
Bhramri - 7 to 21 times daily.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible.Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
--

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
--
Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
October 12 ,2011
Hi there. I have blocked ears, my left is worse than my right. It began when for ages I had problems with nose/sinuses, which was operated on, then got a bad cold, then one ear went when washing my hair with a jug of water and then the other joined in and was worse. Anti biotics did not help and am now trying Mucodyne where you take 2 capsules three times a day. Will let you know if it helps.  It drives me nuts as I am now half deaf, have ringing in my ears and my ears feel all fuzzy, it also gives me a blocked nose.
Theres a thing u can buy called ear popper.. look it up might help.

has anyone got their andenoid gland taken out?? that might help as well..

Gevolgen stoppen met roken Hier leest u wat de gevolgen van stoppen met roken zijn en hoe u de negatieve gevolgen kunt voorkomen.
I have had on going problems with my ears being blocked.  I recently had my ENT put tubes in my ears.  My right ear seems better but my left ear is still plugged.  I get severe headaches from the pressure and feel like I am going crazy.  I would appreciate the name of the medication you took from china.  thanks Virginia from Vancouver Island, Canada
I have a question regarding a non-chronic and somewhat "unscientific" observation. I'm psting because although, as I say, the observation is somwhat unscientific, I do feel that it's a valid and persistent one.

I'm not suffering, as far as I can tell, a noticable hearing loss or imbalance between the two ears. With that siad, these things often happen so gradually that you really DON'T notice them, and even an imbalance, the brain tends to balance out all on its own.

My observation occurs in the shower, where I try to rinse out my ears fairly regularly. This has been consistent for as long as I can remember, but does give me some cause for concern as I seem to get a lot of earwax buildup, especially when my allergies act up (which is kind of often here in Florida).  Here is what's I'm observing, describing as best as possible:

I usually rinse out my ears 2-3 times, running the warm water over my ear, head turned to the side, for at least several seconds, giving my ear an opportunity to "fill" with water, letting it rest for a few seconds, and then letting it run out (head turned w/ ear downward).  I notice the "blubs" (I know, not scientific) as the water runs out of my ear, in much the same way you would observe with a long-neck bottled full of water turned upside-down over the sink. The water chugs out, in between 10-12 "blubs" on my left ear, but only 4-5 on my right.. That's my observation.

Of course, I realize this could differ because of a numbe rof factors; a slightly larger size opening on one side or the other would account for a difference, blockage by hair, etc., but none of these really seem to be the case. I probably would think nothing of it, were it not for the fact that th eleft side seems to hold full twice what the right side does. Culd / does the space in the ear cavity vary that largely between the two ears? I'm not suffering any symptoms, apart from this observation, but it concerns me and I hate to spend $200 for an ENT visit over something relatively innocuous, unless there really is real cause for concern. I would like to find an explanation though.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reading this has given me hope once more and has reaffirmed my thought of my hearing loss or muffled sound is due to TMJ.  The jaw muscle gets so inflamed that it pushes on the tiny cavity of the ear the holds those three little ear bones.  Anyway, so much pressure that it pinches the tiny muscle in that ear doesn't allow bones to vibrate which it what conducts sound; hence the muffling.  

My hearing loss was instant but with pain in my left jaw, a crazy-all-over-the-place mandabel and maxilla and many other things that lead me to believe it's TMD.  Seeing a Dentist on Thursday whose expertise are in that area of TMJ.  Wish me luck!
I am from Medan, Indonesia, recently I feel that my ears are partially blocked, i find that my head is ringing slightly, i always feel dizzy sometimes cant even walk.  A friend of mine had the same situation, she visited an ENT doctor and had her ears "pumped" which unblocked it, but it would come back after some time and she repeated the same procedure, she told me it's effective.
Just wondering if your acupuncture that worked has continued to work?   Thanks, ***@****
Hello Bunny,

The acupuncture gave me my first day without brain fog in years.  I took a muscle relaxant pill before treatment and I went into a deep relaxation after the guy put two needles in each hand and foot.  I had a leather tube pillow under my knees and neck, this put me in the correct body position that seems to be the cure for me.
    When I left the office I spend the rest of the day in a total relaxed state and holding correct posture, so no brain fog.

The next time I went there was road construction just outside the office and it took away the magic from the treatment and also the cost put me off as it was $70 for a 10 min visit.
    I can now get a similiar benefit buy putting a pillow under my knees and neck while listening to a deep relaxation tape.
You are a Godsend! I have had continuous migraines for the past 5+ years and no one has been able to help me with them other than give me preventative medications that make them milder.

Just two weeks ago, I happened to pop my ears on purpose on my way home from work and it made my headache go away and I realized that night my problem was an ear pressure thing. Since that night I have been trying to keep my ears clear by popping them constantly, and I've been googling for information about the ear pressure/migraine connection ever since. Over the past two weeks, I've noticed just that my ears have slightly cleared. But, today I read this forum and your description of Bhramri Pranayam sounds intriguing so I try. My left ear is continuously plugged, only slightly better in the morning. After trying Bhramri Pranayam, it is clearer than the right! I've tried the Anulom Vilom pranayam as well, and I noticed a definite improvement in my ability to breathe through my left nostril just by doing the Bhramri Pranayam on my left ear.

I cannot thank you enough for sharing this technique. You have done what no doctors could do. Migraines stole my life. The past two weeks have dared me to hope and now my hope is growing - I might soon be a normal person again.
just tried this .....  Unblocked right ear instantly... left ear still blocked . Have suffered from blocked ears for nearly 11 years so very excited with the results ! thnx for posting.
I can't believe a doctor hasn't diagnosed you with the symptomology you listed!  You have tick-borne disease(s), in all likeliness you have Lyme Disease with the Bells Palsy, sinusitis, etc....whatever are these physicians missing?  If it's Lyme, which can not be accurately detected with very expensive testing - so don't waste your or your insurance company's money - just have your physician prescribe 1000 mg Cefuroximine and 600 mg Doxycycline daily for 60 days, if you see improvement in the third week, well then Bob's your uncle!  If you see some improvement but not remarkedly, you may also need Mepron or Malarone for Babesiosis which commonly accompanies Lyme infection, in addition to the previous two scripts.  Good luck, it will also take care of your Bells Palsy and get you back into a face that works again!  Good grief! what are these doctors missing? Most common newly emerging infectious disease of the past 2 decades, are their heads in the sand?
Hi liz, i know its been a few years since you were on here I was wondering if you have had any progress? I too have had this going on constantly in my right ear and intermittently in my left since 99. I have watched my kids go from tykes to teens without hearing them. I am on the brink of insanity and the doc's have nothing to offer and seem as if they could care less. HELP!!!!
I tried hava's remedy for about 10 minutes today and I already have relief. I can't beleive it. It's so nice to be able to 'almost' hear properly out of my left ear. I will continue.
Hi, Could you post some pictures of this or a video. It's hard to figure out how to do this just from the words. I find that true with yoga in general. Thanks if you do !!
what is helping me is doing the sinus rinse every day, no skipping at all. i do the neil med with the bottle. and i also am using a aerosol nasal spray zetonna. i also took a round of prednasone, helped. but i really think the nasal rinses are the key. bc i think my tubes are working fine, just plugged up. when i use the nasal rinse i blow out of my nose, a lot of gross junk and old dried blood. so maybe i had a infection in the tubes ? i dont know but rinse them every day for about a week and see what happens. thats what i am going to keep doing for sure since it is helping a ton for me. and when u do the rinses get the solution in the sinus area and move your head around like the women does here, its what i am doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNqpmI-Lfew&list=UUys0ohnwC0P2pT6RXgBLhMw&index=14

its what i am doing, or at least i move my head around a bit with the fluid still in. it gets in the tubes a bit and does help to clean them out.
copy and paste this into your browser

First off, try to stay calm. Not easy for me to say, as I have dealt with menieres over the past year. I have tried to deal with many ents and drs to no avail. The best thing you can do is see a tcm dr and a naturopath who does blood analysis. A problem with the ear is the result if something else wrong in your body.  A tcm dr will be able to help you with acupuncture and Chinese herbs- probably has something to do with your liver, spleen, or kidneys. When going to a naturopath, look to see if you have a yeast problem resulting in Candida. A huge problem not understood at all by drs. Antibiotics, and other things we take and do kills all the good bacteria in our bodies allowing the bad bacteria to take over. My naturopath had had success with clearing out the Eustachian tubes by doing ims acupuncture. Good luck!
What does this process do exactly?
Hi Hava and all,I am going to try your advice and will get back to you with results. For years and years now, Name it, I have it (In the ear symptom department), blocked, painfull ear, swishing sound in ear, popping sounds, tinnitus - everything. Even ended up in the neurologists office with MRI. Mastoiditis diagnosed.(But I agree, most Doctors eventually think you are crazy, especially if you insist you have trouble speaking, as if you cannot hear yourself speak and pronounce properly! ) Enough to drive anyone mad, one's self confidence going for a dive. Speech and hearing definitely connected, even if you are not diagnosed as  deaf. I have noticed that my speech becomes affected if my ears are clogged up more than usual(after a cold).For example, if I pronounce an S it  sounds  differently to me.A person becomes panicky coz you think of other things such as a stroke or MNS. Thanx for advice.
Hi iv had blocked ears 13yrs now,i cant travel and have only done so in a ambulance,i cant use a phone,my head pressures get so bad for weeks that i cant function.Iv lived as a recluse realy and thats not my nature.I too had a nose op, suposed to be a simple op!!!! It changed,ruined and concluded depression in my life,iv given up trying everything and drs ect cnt see the problem,i still have tinitus though im not as bad an,not as suicidle! Iv been stuck in since my little girl was 2 so shes had no life so to speek,if anyone has any advice cool im open to offers :) hope you all find help.
Thank you to all who provided feedback about how my breathing techniques (pranayam) have helped you for Ear ,nose, head and other problems. This will help all who come this thread for help. Read this thread right from the beginning to follow my techniques and feedback. Please add your feedback when you notice benefits.
Viewing 201-246 comments: