Ear, Nose & Throat Community
CHRONIC BLOCKED EARS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

CHRONIC BLOCKED EARS

HI I HAVE HAD BOTH EARS COMPLETELY BLOCKED FOR OVER A YEAR. HEAVY FULLNESS AND PRESURE. THEY HAVE NEVER POPPED, HAVE SEEN MANY DOC'S AND ENT'S WITH NO HELP. HAD TUBES PUT IN 2 WEEKS AGO AND BLOCKED AND FULLNESS IS NOW WORSE...HELP ANYONE. ALL SOUNDS ARE MUFFELED AND GOING INSANE!!! CT SCAN SHOWED NOTHING AND ANTIBIOTICS AND NASAL SPRAYS AND SUDAFED AND NO HELP. HELP PLEASE.
Tags: chronic
Viewing 1-200 comments:
It is time to try an alternative.
Start doing the following breathing exercise daily and it will help all your ear problem.
- Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for 15 minutes twice a day.
--
After a few days indicate how it is helping and I will suggest further breathing.Do it and it will help the body to fight the ear problem.
Have you tried benadryl or sudafed?  Sounds like a fluid problem.
Sorry to hear of your suffering.  Were you exposed to a possible allergen that you still are suffering from, like mold or dust...did you recently move?
help please!! I have had severe blocked right ear with lots of insane ringing, doctor put me on antihistamine and decongenstant, its still the same, 3days later, I cannot blow ny nows without feeling like I a going to blow my eyeballs out too, that is how bad the pressure is I would appreciate some info?
Liz

I have been through some bad ear stuff over the past years.

The worst case scenario was that I had a fungal infection and the anti-biotics they put me on actually fed the fungus making the situation worse.  I hope you go to an ENT...I had gone to regular docs and to the emergency room...they had no clue.

If it is a regular ear problem, it is probably fluid caused by a virus or possibly a bacteria....the best you can do right away is to relieve the symptoms with an antihistamine like sudafed or benadryl...

But with your urgency I suggest an immediate appt. with an ENT.

Please let me know what has happened...and best of luck to you...I know it can make you feel crazed!!
Yes, thanks, I have appt with ent next week.I will not rest until this is resolved. Where is the real "house" when you need one? I am on a zytek-d. not helping.arghhh. I appreciate your response
liz,

Great, I am sure you will get it solved...hang in there!
Thanks for all your comments... I have tryed both benadryl and sudafed on a daily basis for 5 months and no changes!!! Even been going to a homeopathic doctor 2 times a week...by the way our bill is up to $10 000, and still no solution.  Went to ENT today and he said that it is a mucus problem in the eustation tube, and no meds will help just time.  Well it has been over a year!!!!give me a break!!!
Hi, I am back, went to the ent, said there was nothing significant in my ears and nose. So a hearing test is ordered to determine if he eustatian tube is damaged. I came across a great informative website called houseclinic it focuses on ears and ear disorders. There are so many causes for ear problems, I didn't realize, but, in most cases, the tinnitis,itching,"wet" feeling is an allergic response that sometimes does require surgery. I do not believe in tubes for the ears,come to think of it if steroids can help reduce the inflamation (inflammation),contrary to what I previously thought then perhaps its something to consider. Anxiety, caffeine and aspring seem to pop up as worsening the tinnitus sound. I will continue to research, I refuse to believe what doc's tell us, its definitly something to look into, x-rays,the tiny bones in the ear anything can cause headnoise. BUT I think that in my case it sounds like allergy related, still its very frustrating and only someone who has this continuous ZZZZiiing in their heads would understand. Hang in there, and don't give up
sorry, the website is houseearclinic. and OMG the thought that a tumor could be growing is just horrific.
Hi ive had  a blocked right ear  for 2 months now  have seen the doctor twice he says its fluid  and gave me a decongestant well theres no signs of improvement i have to go back he says if its no better and he will get me an appointment with ENT  but its driving me mad with
worrying whats  wrong i havent had a cold or anything it feels blocked and every noise is muffled and echoes through my head and feels like a grinding  feeling in my ear and head has anyone else had this and how long does it last ive even tried herbal remedies  but nothing works i would like to hear if nayone else has had this problem its driving me mad because im thinking all sorts of things
Your post here surprised me as I pretty much could have writen it myself as MY story - I was googling "blocked ears" when I found this site/post..  About a year ago I got a cold (no big deal, I get about one a year) but my blocked ears have never gone away.  It has literally been a year for me as well and, as I am usually a very healthy person with no allergies, it is driving me insane.  I have been to my doctor who said I might have some fluid in my ears and to try sudafed.  Used it again and again and it did not work.  Then I was prescribed flonase.  Also did not work.  Just saw an ENT doc who said my ears look perfect, I have no hearing loss and that it is just a puzzle and probably something I would have to live with.  I am not sure if I should be relieved or worried that is all looks normal.  It is maddening.  We tried those beeswax candles and are now working on more homeopathic remedies.  If I ever find something that works for me, I will post it and please, please, please do likewise if you find something that works for you as well.   Thanks!!
Im suffering from the same situation. I started with a colded,  then got blocked ears and they have never gone away. The doctors have told me there is no infection in my ears, they are just block especially the right one. The doctor said i need a operation and i've been waiting five months now. I'm going crazy because the headaches are now every day 24/7 and I feel like a chronic pill popper. The chemist even know me well now. I would love to try a natural remdie if anybody knows any please let me know. The headaches have became that bad I could properably say they are migranes (migraines). I also feel off balance like one side of my body is heavy then the other. Has anybody had the operation? and does it work?
I had the same problem as a cause of fluid building from allergies. I used a sinus rinse from the pharmacy followed by nasacort, twice a day. And I took benedryl at night. My ears popped eventually.
the sinus rinse: buy the box of saline packets and the actual rinser, which is a bottle. Sometimes the packets come with the rinser, sometimes not.
I have been suffering from the same problem for over a year,  both ears clogged I can barely hear anything and it is literally driving me insane and making me depressed, I have been to the Docs but it is always the same old B.S. they look fine try this, FU PAY ME.  Its hard to find a good Doc these days, its all about selling that next script.  Anyways I am desperately looking for a solution to this problem because I can not take it anymore, I will post anything I can come up with that works.  Beleive me I feel your pain.  Has anyone tryed the wax candles?
Ear candles are useless.  Not to mention the FDA has a "detainment" order on ear candles crossing the border.

You can not tell from otoscopy the middle ear status. Sure it is an indication, but it is not a final test.

You need to have:

Otoscopy
Tympanometry
Air and bone audiometry

After these test, a determination regarding a person's middle ear status can be made. The docs that just look into the ear and use that as their only diagnostic tool can't afford the equipment or an audiologist to run the equipment. So they just wave their magic wand, take your co-pay and send you on your way.

In the future, and this goes for anyone with ear issues, see an ENT and only ENT with an AUDIOLOGIST on staff. Do not see an ENT with an assistant doing hearing evaluations they will not know what they are doing.

Audiologist at least have a masters degree in the area of hearing disorders and a large percentage of audiologist have doctorate degrees.
Oh sorry, for those looking for a solution. You may be suffering from glue ear, a condition that is difficult to treat. The bacteria is rather stuborn.

I personally like PETs (tubes) I'd rather than than continius meds. For those that smoke and have eustachean tube issues....   well there you go, that is one of the benifits of smoking.
hello, my right ear pops whenever i do weights at the gym! or like today after i was running on the treadmill... i made the mistake of going for a swim and now my left ear feels funny. i went to the doctors about a month ago and he gave me beconase nasal spray it hasnt really helped. ive tried steaming but no results. its been like this for months! at first it felt like i had water in my right ear whenever i went to bed my ear was itchy, one day it wouldnt stop ringing! my only worry now is that im goin on holiday next week and ive had flu on a plane before and the agony in my ears was horrible! im scared this is going to happen again! it would ruin my holiday :-( any tips would be great!!
Use a nose spray at least 30 minutes prior before you fly.
I've had the same problem__started last summer with what I thought was wax in my ear.  Dr. said my ears looked fine but put me on sudafed, etc.  It kept getting worse until I started running to ENTs.  An audiogram showed a slight hearing loss in bad ear but nothing out- of -line for my age. But my ear kept getting more and more pressure, brain fog set in along with tinnitus, I became sensitive to noise, and my head felt as if someone had poured a pitcher of water into it.  One ENT said I was "pre-meniere's" because I wasn't having the severe vertigo.  I ended up having to take a medical leave from my job.  
I finally went to the Mayo clinic and they gave me a steroid shot in my ear and instead of calling it "meniere's" they said it was endolymphatic hydrops. A more exact diagnose.
I just found out there is a book by a Dr. R. Gacek, he taught at Harvard and has been past president of the Otolaryngologist Society.  The book title is "Viral Neuropathies of the Temporal Bone".  I asked all the doctors I visited over the last year if my ears could be related to the herpes family of viruses because I do get cold sores.  At my request my current doctor has put me on an anti-viral med and the pain that was starting in my other ear has cleared up and the tinnitus in my bad ear is greatly diminished.  I finally have some hope of conquering this thing.
Yes, sadly it sounds as though you have been dealing with quaks. Most any ENT worth his or her salt will not throw out the diagnoses of meniere's disease upon an initial visit.

and yes, most ENTs worth their salt know about the Herpes virus asualt on the ear. Albeit it is a subject of debate, most ENTs accept it as a fact that the Herpes virus does attack the cochlea.  I have seen it many times, if it is actually herpes, I do not know that for a fact, but I have seen people respond positively to Valtrex & steriods.  

But Hollybeaks situation has nothing to do with a viral attack upon the cochlea.
Do any of you suffer from TMJ temporal mandibular joint disorder? One of the things that is a symptom is chronic blocked ears
"TMJ may cause ear pain, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and hearing loss. Sometimes people mistake TMJ pain for an ear problem, such as an ear infection, when the ear is not the problem at all."
I am currently having a terrible time with my left ear, and was looking for relief and found this site, hope this helps some of you!
hey, i have been steaming every day and am hoping it will be ok! not been gym since so not sure if it still pops! thanks i shall use a nasal spray before i fly and take some sweets to help pop my ears. thanks for your help. im glad i found this site i was getting worried and its so hard to find the right help sometimes isnt it?  im glad to hear i dont have herpes of the ear :-S good luck everyone ^__^
You're wrong__most ENTs do not know about the assault of virus on the ears.  I visited 3 ENTs before finally being referred to one of the leading "specialists" on Meniere's__he's done more endolymphatic shunt sac surgeries than anyone.  And, I wasn't responding to hollybreak's problem but the originator of this forum topic.  And, the virus is most likely not in the cochlea but on the trigeminal nerve which then affects the balance nerve and can lead to endolymphatic hydrops.  I had to advocate for myself and ask my ENT at the Mayo Clinic to put me on an anti-viral.  Lots of people are getting endolymphatic hydrops and not getting proper medical treatment.
As I said before, "Most ENTs worth his or her salt...."  

if they do not know that then they are not worth their salt.  Fairly simple, is it not?  How is that statement wrong?  

Never mind, don't hurt yourself.

You are full of hot air and giving out very mis-leading information to people on this forum. Your statement that the virus attacks the cochlea is based on what?  If you're such a know-it-all you should pick up Dr. Gacek's textbook!
Meniere's is not a simple list of symptoms and there is no definitive test that can diagnose meniere's.  Most ENTs do not know what to do with people who come in with the symptoms of so-called "meniere's".  Usually, they will be told to stay away from salt, given and diuretic and maybe a sedative and sent on there way.  We have to be our own advocates.  There are some ENTs who are knowlegeable about endolymphatic hydrops and how best to manage the symptoms but there are many out there doing needless surgeries and making peoples problems worse or, just letting people suffer with a debilitating disorder.  
Jules,

People call me Doctor for a reason. Actually, I am not sure if you have even bothered to read my posts, on another thread regarding M.D. but they are essentially in agreement with yours.

Hot air indeed....

If you're a doctor then you know that Meniere's is not really a diagnosis but the absence of one. If you're an ENT you would most likely have heard of the "meniere's specialist" I went  to and first said I had "pre-meniere's" and a month later called it "atypical meniere's".  The only thing this world-famous neurotologist offered me was a diuretic, a sedative and a hole in my head.  If he had given me an anti-viral when I first came to him, my ears would probably be in much better condition.  Thankfully, I cancelled the surgery with him and went to the Mayo where the information was much better.  I know people who have had only the vertigo and a hearing loss but no other symptoms and it's also called "meniere's".  There's a lot of frustrated patients who are not getting the help or answers we need for our plugged ears, tinnitus, and noise sensitivity.
As I said, before, essentially you are preaching to the choir. I have been published in 2 different countries, lectured in 3 different countries, practiced in 2 different countries and counting. Menieres Diesease (MD) and in my opinion Cochlitis or neurinitis are at many time waste basket diagnosis.

The sad truth is, when a person makes an office visit to an M.D. the MD has to make a dx. in order to justify his or her actions to the patients insurance. They justify their actions via a waste basked dx and then the patient gets to wear the badge of Miniers Desease etc forever. Then they kick you out of the office, charge you insurance co. 350$ for the 3 minute visit, & six months later the insurance pays around 100$ to the physician. Regarding the patients health or recovery.... was that ever a concern in the first place?

It is a messed up system, and physicians do it all the time without any consideration of the longterm ramifications. That is one of the reasons I prefer to work outside of the US. Although, I am licensed in the US, currently I do not work there.

But bashing on me concerning the situation as if I am some how responsable is senseless.
You're right, I shouldn't be bashing you please accept my apology.  You got it right with the "waste basket" diagnosis.  So, are our ear/temporal bone problems being treated any differently in the country you are practicing?
The major difference here, is the lack of care...  lack of care about health insurance, and what or how health insurance co. will respond to care methods/tactics/choices.  You see in this fine country, there are two systems at work. NHS and private. Those that can afford private go to private, but do have the option of going to NHS if they wish. Those that want health insurance purchase it, at a very cheap rate. One thousand dollars a year for like a platnimum level coverage. Insurance co. do not even squirm when they get billed from the physicians, they just pay up and move on.

Also, there is no real CPT code system or DX code system....  so physicians do not feel the need to creat problens or diagnose problems that do not exsist.

To say it is perfect, it is not....  sure the many problems that insurance companies create are removed, but ultimatley the patient is still at the mercy of the physicains abilities, knowledge base, experience, ego etc.  
i have tried the breathing techniques suggested at the top, is there anything else you all can reccommend?
Just thought I'd share what finally worked for me here.  I got a allergy attack about two weeks ago, and both of my ears had been plugged ever since.  I went to my doctor twice who put me on antibiotics and said to take Sudafed.  In that time I was checking this and other internet discussions looking for any kind of solution.  In addition to the antibiotics and Sudafed I tried, Mucinex, Bendadryl, Claritin, hydrogen peroxide in the ears, a sinus wash and ear candling.  None of this had any effect at all, and I was beginning to get desperate, seeing as I haven't been able to go to work, and it was horribly uncomfortable.

My boyfriend told me that years ago he was travelling in Germany, and had an allergic reaction and both of his ears got clogged up.  He went to the doctor there, and the doctor simply took out this device and placed it in his nostril.  When the doctor squeezed the device it blew a burst of air up his nose and immediately unclogged his ears.  I was a little skeptical of this seeing as I've been doing tons of research and haven't heard of anything like it, and my doctor seemed clueless to anything like this as well.  Well finally in my desperation, we fashioned a device that would perform this function.  Blew a burst of air up my nose, which immediately unclogged my ears.  I can't tell you what a relief this is.  I'm not sure if there is any kind of danger or potential negative effect of doing this, but I can tell you that it was well worth the risk for me.  So, just wanted to put this information out there, and I hope that the people suffering from this condition find some relief one way or another.
I have the same problem in my right ear - it happens a few times a week and lasts a couple of hours and is very annoying and disorienting when I'm trying to meet with clients. How did you make the air blowing device? I'm not interested in all the drugs that don't work!
Hi everyone,

I've had this problem since feb when I had an ear infection that took 3 antibiotics to clear up. Finally the fluid went away several months later but the sensation is still there. So I went to and ENT. He took one look at the medication I take and said "you need to change the blood pressure medicine. It causes various problems such as this in less than 5% of the population." Good thing I took those antihistamines for 3 months!
My advice would be to have someone check your meds if you are on them in order to see if there is a rare side effect that would cause this.

B
i read this forum few days ago since i had the similar problem described by many here. I tried an alternative remedy suggested on the top of the page . that of breating exercise... well that's also a popular yoga pranayam and i knew how to do it but was unaware that this would help blocked ears.

Believe me the results started showing within minutes of the excercise... i did for few times intially and then about thrice daily and on the second day itself it was much better and must say that i feel quit normal today compared to what i was for the past 2 weeks. the blockage appears to be cleared but i am still continuing with the same breathing routine once in a while.

personal experience.............. can work for others too.... no harm in trying......
all the best

all the best
Hello everyone, I have been suffering from the problems mentioned above for the past four or five years.  Symptoms include chronic blocked ears (comes and goes in intensity but is always present), a crunching noise when I move my jaw around sometimes, some ringing of the ears especially when trying to sleep.  Breathing exercises sometimes help to relieve pressure but as soon as I get a little under the whether the blocking comes back with a vengeance, and no amount of breathing exercises will help.  I have seen 4 different ENT specialists none of them could help.  It is not a buildup of fluid, and pressure results showed up as normal, even though they felt a bit blocked when I was doing the tests.  If anyone knows anymore information about any of the methods already mentioned above, or any other, I would appreciate it.  I have recently had to completely give up my career as a sound engineer due to this problem.  It has been driving me slowly insane for a long time.  I am getting to the end of my tether, need help, please.
Please tell us how u fashioned this device. Please.
I recently recovered from a virus where I was getting heart pumping cold sweats three times a day as my system revved upto fight it off. The virus left my system but it left a horrible throbbing pressure on my ears that ebbs and flows and i'm constantly swallowing to unblock them. It's been like this for about three months now. The other day after my capoeira class I was talking to someone and my ears suddenly got muffled like I was hearing myself underwater, I went home and drank water and the noise of me swallowing was amplyfied in my ears.....  it was unnerving to say the least. I saw a GP who told me it was stress related and to seek chinese medicine!!!!! So after two weeks of foul tasting tea  and relaxation (the tea got better towards the end) I ruled out stress as I know what my limits are and I was dubious to begin with and thought it might even be hay fever related, but the antihistamines i'm taking have had minimal impact. So... from what I can gather the drugs don't work at all, tubes are a maybe, ENT's are generally not worth thier salt, I should try a form of yoga, a self made german air pumping device, alternate nostril breathing exercises or surgery... from  a doctor worth their salt preferebly......

If it is virus relatedshould it not clear up after time? I feel for you markj30, I don't know if we have the same thing as I don't really get the ringing thing, hope we find a solution soon. If anything works for me I will post.
I would like to thank lalawawa 7-22-07 for sharing the German style "air burst" solution to plugged ears. My right ear was plugged for only a week, but it was very irritating; I feel for all who've struggled with this problem for months or years.  After reading about the air solution I was desperate enough to try it out along with holding my nose and blowing to pop my ears and wow! ...it worked! It's been several days and my ear is still clear.  Before my ear plugged, I was on Allegra and prescribed nasal spray. Things only got worse. I'm so thankful for being willing to look foolish and try out the unconventional.  
how did you make it??!!!!
I personally believe in my case that my blocked ears and the ringing are not directly related, I feel that they need to be treated differently.  However having blocked ears amplifiers the ringing, making it much worse then it would be normally.
How did you make the device to blow up the nose?
All I used to "blow" my nose was my garage air compressor. It's a trial and error thing. Start with a little pressure and build up carefully. It didn't work first try, but it worked on the only day of trying. I filled my air compressor partially and using the hose with a blower quick-release attachment on the hose (the button type used to cleaan the workbench from sawdust), I blew air into the ear-plugged side of my nose. Of course, I had my garage door closed so my neighbors couldn't get a good view for photos.
The air does no good going into the lungs, so close the back of the throat area to block that passageway. The air is to clear out the sinus areas only. It may seem like nothing is happening. Just to let you know, after the first attempt, my condition got a little worse. That was exciting because, like pushing the clog out of a plugged drain, I knew I was on to something. I just kept trying again and again. I also held my nose and blew like scuba divers would. My plugged ear gave a loud squeal but didn't clear. More hose blowing, then more holding the nose and blowing...another loud squeal and ureka!! My ear has been cleared over a week now.

Be careful. It worked for me. I hope it works for you and brings much relief.
I too have had ear problems. Itching sensation in the inner ear, ringing noise that lasts for a few seconds then fades away, constant crackling noise when swallowing. I have been trying a mixture of ispropyl alchohol and vinager. This only stopped all my symptoms once. This occured in my left ear when it felt like the mixture got inside of my middle ear and then drained down the eustation tube. I felt a cold feeling draining from my ears towards my throat. This cleared the crackling, pressure, and other issues in that ear for a few days. The symptoms did return but now the mixture approach does not work, mostly because I think I had a small tear in my ear drum from doing the scuba diver method of blowing air into the middle ear to equalize pressure. Either way it had to of been this tear that let the fluid in because I did feel a stinging sensation when the mixture hit my ear drum. That stining sensation is no more. Is there a safe way of irrigating the interior of the eustation tube? I think this would help me solve my problem and maybe the problems of others involved in this discussion.
I would also like to add that I have been to several ENTs about this problem. ALL of them were worthless and not worth the copay I paid them or the money my insurance gave them. I am lucky in that my GP has the same problem I do. So he understands what I am going through. Unfortunately insurance will not pay him to do what a ENT can. So I am screwed there. My GPs name is Dr Edwin Matthews in Las Colinas Texas.
Also my problems started after a very severe Cold/Flu that I had 4 years ago. Since then my hearing has gotten worse and worse.
Update: On youtube I found a video regarding a Neti Pot. I went to CVS and purchased one. On the first use I noticed that the clicking/popping noise was gone but later came back. TGhis confirms the noise I am hearing is a issue with my eustation tubes either being blocked or having some type of dysfunction that causes improper function.
FYI I am able to place a microphone into my outer ear canal and record the sound, which sounds like a higher pitched clicking sound than what I am really hearing which has a lower more robust sound to it.
I am  so relieved to hear that others have been suffering with the same problem as I have.  This has been going on for a year or more and I seem have hearing loss (although that could be from the blocked ear).  At the moment, there seems to be a ringing in my ears and I am also going insane - so nice to know there are people who understand the feeling.

I am from South Africa and my doctor informed me I had a viral infection (a year ago) which would take time - isn't a year long enough without improvement.  I will try the breathing exercises and other suggestions.

Good luck to all sufferers - stay sane
Yep, I have the blocked ears too, probably due to the virus I am still fighting off.  I have noted that drugs are not all that successful in most of the comments above.  Here is something I just tried which has somewhat helped:

"How To Unblock Your Ears
Swallowing activates the muscle that opens the Eustachian tube. You swallow more often when you chew gum or let mints melt in your mouth. These are good air travel practices, especially just before take-off and during descent. Yawning is even better. Avoid sleeping during descent, because you may not be swallowing often enough to keep up with the pressure changes. (The flight attendant will be happy to awaken you just before descent.)

If yawning and swallowing are not effective, unblock your ears as follows:

Step 1: Pinch your nostrils shut.
    Step 2: Take a mouthful of air.
    Step 3: Using your cheek and throat muscles, force the air into the back of your nose as if you were trying to blow your thumb and fingers off your nostrils."

This was from a site describing how to unblock your ears due to air pressure when travelling.  Maybe something to try? The site is http://www.midwestear.com/educatl.htm
i stated having problems many years ago with the pressure in my ear, it was driving me nuts, went to different doctors and problem resolved on its own, no medicine helped me ,now a couple of years ago it started again, went back to different ent doctors more medicine prescribed, nothing helped, the only thing that seems to help is the water pic treatment that the doctor prescribed after the sinus surgery that he said i needed, even though he felt it wasnt going to help the clogged ear.  the pressure seems to be gone again,   my final word on this matter. the first time it started was about 20 yrs ago then it went away, if it comes and goes like that i can live with it, dont lose hope. i didn't.
ive had blocked ears for nearly a year now. im a flight attendant so it has caused havock with my job. ive recently had sinus surgery and grommets in my eras, the grommets have become blocked and need to be taken out. my old ent wanted to put bigger grommets in, i decided to change ent as i didnt like the surgery surgery surgery approach of my old ent.
#the newent won t put new grommets in as he said that they  can cause problems in adults, and that the blocked ears are the result of something else and this needs to be identified and treated.
a word of caution, i used a netty pot to wash my sinuses and several times the water went down my estacion tube and blocked my ears.
im fed up with my ears and unsure how much longer i can put up with it.
HELP
I suffered for 2 months from blocked ears from May - July 07. I also had constant ringing in my right ear after a few weeks.
Saw my gp who prescribed sudafed. It didn't work.
Saw another Dr who did a scope for me and found nothing but refd me to ENT for check.
ENT did another scope 1month later. Again, nothing wrong - no blockage.Clear.
However,a hearing test revealed loss of hearing in the high frequency in my right ear.
So MRI was ordered. MRI appt was a month away.
In the meantime, I bumped into a friend who recommended traditional Chinese medicine.
I consulted this TCM practioner in Singapore who took my pulse, observed my external skin,etc and pronounced that 'I had a growth somewhere in my body'  - frightening thought .
'However, Drs would be able to detect where even with all the tests.'
1 month later,my MRI proved him right - nothing abnormal.
He recommended I take a course of TCM for 6 months as it was due to an alletgy or autoimmune disorder.
3 types of capsules:
1. To detox the blood
2. To strengthen the immunity
3. To aid in the digestion as there is poor absorption of nutrients from my food intake.
Guess what:
After the first week, my ears were like 1/4 less congested.
By the 2nd week, congestion was lifted off by 1/2.
By the 3rd week, congestion was off by 3/4.
I am now into my 6th week of continuing this medicine. It's not cheap but hey, I've got a life again!
cjen is right. Tradictional chinese medicine is effective and has helped me clear my ear block problem. I haven reading this forum since 4-5 weeks ago trying to find out more about this blocked ears that are makign me insane but i didnt make any posts. This forum makes me more depressed as it seems that some here have suffered from the blocked ears for months and years! the thought of it is really scary!

Like you all, I had seen doctors and ENT specialist and taking antibiotic but they were not helping me at all. On the third week, I decided to try chinese medicine. I went to see a TCM doctor and is now in the second week taking cheinese herbal medicine. I m 80-90% recovered!

i know some of you here may not believe or have not come across TCM before but please give it a try!

remember, only see a genuine qualified TCM doctor that prescribes certified GMP chinese herbal medicine.

DON'T GIVE UP!
wow. As far as knew I thought I was just about the only person in the world with this. The first time my ears completely blocked, I was on a 13 hour flight. I didn't know if I could die or what, I spent most of the time crying in the washroom. The pain was crazy. It went away slowly over the two weeks I spent elsewhere, and then I got to do the whole thing again on the way back. Then a couple of months later, my ears blocked, this time during a weekend in the country with friends, I went wild with desperation because it was still horrible even without the crazy pain that comes with being in a plane. It went away slowly overnight. I'm a frequent flyer and doctor-prescribed nose sprays only partly help. I have a big fear that one day my ears will block and never unblock. I touch them as little as possible for now in the hopes that they don't block up forever. If they do, maybe I'll try the air thing, I  pinch my nose and blowing air up them during flights. It's true that when I blow, the gluey fluid seems to block it up more and I figure that relief comes when it slips back as well, so I also suck air in. I'm afraid if ever use an air blower thingy, when it finally blasts past the sticky **** that gets stuck at the end of the tube, it will completely blow away my ear drums. Can this happen? Also, my ears get blocked on takeoff as well as landing, does this mean anything? To all of you guys suffering from this, I send you all my positive energy, I'm going to do the breathing exercises every day for awhile and get back to you all with the results.
breathing....  you breathe every day...  doesn't seem to make much of a difference

Your ears will never completely be blocked, worse case scenerio you get a set of PET tubes in.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4688537928537095042&q=middle+ear&total=344&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Touching your ears does make any difference.
I read with interest your comments about TCM.

I had suffered noisy ears with occasional vertigo for 10 months, one ear ringing and the other side rumbling, and was diagnosed as having Meniere's Disease by ENT specialist. I was given giddy tablets but this did not help. He suspect the cause to be due to sodium and wanted to prescribe another medication which will minimise sodium in my blood system. But I was reluctant because he said the downside is that excess extraction of the sodium can lead to low blood pressure and gout.

I have also tried TCM with accupucture for 2 - 3 months before I came to this site. The vertigo seem to be under control, but the noise problem was still as bad as before, and like what many sufferers say, it's driving me crazy.

Your TCM seems to have relevant experience in this treatment and since I am living in Singapore, I am keen to know the address of your TCM so that I can see him. I understand that posting of addresses may be prohibitted in a public forum, but I would like to request the MedHelp administrator for help to link us through our private email so that I could get the address from you.

I hope this arrangement works OK for you and MedHelp. Thanks.

Don't try compressed gas duster for air.  It states on the back that if inhaled, you could die instantly.  I am giong to try the compressed air though.  Thanks for the suggestion.
More breathing....Further to the anulom vilom  breathing technique described at the top do the Bhramri as well.
Bhramri Pranayam
Close eyes.Use both hands to close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Do this  5 times twice a day.
--
The breathing needs patience - do it everyday and you will notice benefits slowly.It works very gently and naturally and so the benefits start to be noticed after a few weeks. Some of you have tried and benefited and commented and it is nice to know.Only by doing you benefit.After you feel better, keep up the breathing exercises once a day to keep the symptoms away.

I fully sympathise with your ear problems. I had 1 episode of vertigo years ago and went to see the ENT Dr. The jr Dr didn't seem to believe me and tested me by suddenly jerking my head- I screamed my head off !!!  Luckily another Dr saw me and prescribed antibiotics and the vertigo disappeared within a week.
Actually, I forgot about reading this website 2 weeks after my posting, as up till now I haven't had that awful blocked ears return. I am still taking the 3 types of capsules , at half dose,  like maintenance as I do feel good taking them - treating them like Vitamin pills.
It's very very expensive but I do not have to boil the herbs as it's all in capsule form- called Tong Ren 103.
I don't mind your contacting me through e-mail or vice-versa if the med Help Administrator says it is ok.
Your maintenance idea of half dosage is definitely good. I was OK for three months in May till August, and was not advised on the maintenance program. I went about life normally, without a care about eating salty, fried and curry food, and going to noisy places. I remembered I over indulged in food and going to noisy places just the week before the hearing problems started again. Till today I have not been able to overcome. Regarding the e-mail, I have written to MedHelp for assistance.
Did you try it?  I went to the site but haven't tried anything yet.  Has anybody tried it?
MedHelp has replied that they do not have your full e-mail address, and have suggested that I  private message you. I have just done that thru the inbox at the top right hand side of the forum page after signing in. (I believe you should be able to read my message after you open your inbox, and reply me in private. In case this does not work, pls give MedHelp your full e-mail address so that they can help to link us. Thks.)
I too have been having this problem of blocked ears and ringing sensation since Jul 2007, can u tell me or give me contact no of TCM as I'm from Singapore too. I've tried ENT specialist and nothing has help as I'm going insane. Pls help asap
Actually I have been having this problem since Jul 2006. First ENT specialist said fluid in ears and asked me if I could live with it. 2nd ENT specialist from another hospital said unlikely to be middle ear prob and unlikely to be fluid in ears and require CT scan. Never went as I've lost hope with these ENT docs who are giving totally opposing diagnoisis. Can someone here in SINGAPORE direct me to someone who can help me.
There are so many of us in the same boat. Who knew? Saw my GP who sent me to an ENT specialist. Two things had changed in my life...I started swimming and I moved. Swimmer's ear was ruled out. Allergies? ENT wasn't too concerned until I told him about my day of vertigo that was so bad I threw up. Going for an MRI in December. Taking Nosenex in the meantime. Seems to help a bit. Good luck to all.
noisyears managed to leave his contact e-mail with Medhelp and we have corresponded.
As I mentioned , TCM  is not cheap. TCM  is more or less holistic i.e it serves to heal the whole body , not just a part. Why not ask Medhelp to let you leave a private message to me  and I'll get back to you.
I have been trying out your  two breathing techniques since your last post about 3 weeks ago. I would not be able to confirm that it helped as the noise is still there. Maybe because, I tend to be impatient, and do them crudely not with calm mind, and sometimes while taking my morning walks. But there is something which I noticed. While doing the alternate nostril breathing, the air flow in my right nostril seems to be more restrictive. This coincides with my right ear which has the hearing problem. In other words, most of the time breathing is done thru' the left nostril. ENT had checked my nose some months ago - found OK.
I am wondering whether this restrictive air flow in one nostril over a long period has caused this ear problem. And is your principle of alternate nostril breathing exercise to cure the problem based on this reason.
There may be others with similar experience or who would like to share their opinions. They are of course free to do so. Thanks.
Yes the left and right nostrils help the opposite sides(right and left) of the brain.You will understand your body much better.People will be able to explain how this works in their own words depending on what they experience.For the benefit of all I have put it all together, print it.
The daily Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) to help with ear problem are:

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 min/day).

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing regularly you will benefit and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
--
Thank you for the comprehensive set of breathing exercise to help ear problem. I will probably start with shorter duration first to get use to it, and stretch longer when I can feel the benefit. Another symptom that I have after I have this ear problem is flatulence. Does the set of exercise also help this problem, or do you have a simple exercise that you can recommend.  Thanking you in advance.
Hi there,

I have been to the doctors 4 times about my ear in the past month, i basically go there every week and each week she says the same thing, there's liquid in my inner ear.  Shes gave me a few things to try but nothing is helping.  Now i am on nose spray once daily and a decongestant.  I am unsure if this will help as it doesnt feel better yet and i saw her on monday.  I am also going traveling in 3 days so that is why i am worried, i've felt the pain of being in flight with a sore ear before and it is not pleasnt.  my flight is 14 hours so any suggestions that could help me get through that flight or how to get this liquid out of my inner ear would be great.  Thanks!  
I have already sent an email to Medhelp but have not received any reply. Do u think its ok with you to click the link on my user name and send me a message direct. I saw yet another ENT Senior Consultant/A.Prof last weekand went thru another round of scope and hearing test. This doc told me its neither middle ear/inner ear problem but its Eustachian Tube dysfunction. He suspects its due to my sudden and fair amount of weight lost. He said there's nothing much medicine can do about my condition...blocked ears. The doc might be right but how is it that my left ear got blocked just a month and half ago? I lost about 10kg about 1.5 yrs ago and my right ears got blocked 3months after my weight lost. I've been gaining weight gradually but my ears are not improving but worsening. I've even bought a high-end Rainbow air-purifier/vacuumn cleaner to eliminate the causes of my own perceived problems - allergens as I've got a dog. Let me see if that improves my condition but please do message me contact of TCM
Wow, the responses here in the forum are incredible.  There's no way to address everything that's been brought up but i do want to say that it would be very dangerous to use compressed gas to clear your sinuses due to the closeness of the brain.

Supervision of an ENT is important for all of these suggestions
I completely agree that spraying any gas up your nose could be extremely dangerous, however what about air as mentioned above.  I have been suffering from blocked ears for over five years now and am seriously considering trying this method, after already trying almost everything else.  I have all the necessary equipment (compressor/attachment) and knowledge to attempt this, was planning on starting out at an extremely low pressure and then working my way up.  Was wondering what potential damage this could cause apart from using too much pressure and blowing out my ear drums.  I would appreciate your feedback on this or anyone else who may have some useful information.  I do not see any point in bringing this up with one of my ENT specialists because they have been fairly useless in the past and would probably just tell me not to do it.
don't even think about it.  Possible complications: perforated eardrums, dislocating your eyes, brain injury.
I've been suffering a year and half with deep ear pain, burning, pressure, blocked eustation tube, ringing in left ear, sensative to cold. I have bad allergies also. Every doctor, and there have been many, state my ear is fine. MRI show fine.  My ear is killing me with chronic pain.  Also have chronic swollen saliva glands under chin.  House Ear Clinic in LA and 2 Ent's say it is a nerve.  I'm going to a pain clinic this week, can not stand pain anymore.  Has anyone been diagnosed with nerve?  I have tried all allergy, steriod, and antibotics.  Antibotics and steriods worked in beginning, but not any longer. I bought a high-end air purifer, but no relief.  Maybe I will try TCM again.  I feel for all of you that are suffering.  It's miserable.

JR37
TCM and acupuncture help many patients of mine.  My own dad, an allergist went to China to train in TCM and found it helpful for his patients.

If 3 ENTs have said they can't operate to improve your pain, that's pretty reassuring since they're typically eager to operate.

Good luck with the pain clinic.
Hi, well my problem all started off as a reallly bad cold, and i was on mutlple planes in one week on a trip in italy. But my ears never blocked on the plane then one day we were went up mount etna and on the way down my ears blocked up really bad. Then all day i had been trying to pop them and nothing would happen. Later that night I had to take a ride to another city and it must of been at a much higher elevation because my ears blocked so bad that I had so much pressure in my head that I literrally thought my head could of popped, and honeslty that would of felt better if it did compared to the pain i felt. I went to three doctors and all they said it all these different nasal sprays as well as sudafed just like the rest of you guys. This was over a year ago and still today I suffer from blocked ears and I think it is effecting my hearing. I dont hear as well as i useto. Not to mention i feel like I have had severe allergy problems ever since. Does anyone have any real solution!!!!!!! PLEASEEE!!!
Thanks for that it sounds to risky to use the compressor so I won't try it.  I guess TCM is the only thing left that might help me but I will have to save up for it first.  It is a real pain that in this day and age modern medicine cannot help with something that seems as simple as blocked ears.
You are all trying modern medicine without success - why not try the ancient method of breathing as suggested in my post. You will know in days how it works, but only by trying.
Try for a few days and if you are happy, carry on and report here.  There  is no cost.
glad you won't.

modern medicine can.  ask for nasal steroids, and try over the counter nasal saline rinse.
blocked eustachian tubes can be from allergies which can improve with nasal steroids and nasal saline lavage
Do you know how long that could take by using all the nasal sprays? Because Iv'e used them for months and nothing changed. So i got fed up, now I just use a daily nasal spray for allergies and the doctor said eventully it will work. But Im really gettin frustrated and I feel like nothing is working anyways.
I have tried nasal sprays, anti-inflammatories, and several other drugs with no good results.  In fact at times they have actually made things worse especially with the ringing volume [would appreciate some more information on nasal steroids and potential side effects].  As for the breathing techniques, I have tried them and yes at times they have helped to relieve some of the pressure, then again at other times it's made it worse.  Also it is very difficult to do these techniques every day when at least one of my nostrils is blocked 80% of the time.  I should also add that my blocked nose and ears is not because I am sick.  For the last month I've been extremely careful with what I have been eating and if anything my ears have been feeling worse, which makes me stress and therefore making it even worse again.  I appreciate your comments and advise and hope that one of them will help me one-day.
I have had blocked ears on and off - usually when I get a cold, but again, they usually go away.  But I had a chest infection 2 months ago, which gave me blocked ears.  That check infection has gone, but my blocked ears hasn't.  Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it is really irritating! I think it was made worse with a lot of trips as well in the last 2 weeks.  They sort of feel like they're going to pop, but my ears seem to click whenever i swallow or try to make them pop.  All dr's I have seen tell me it'll go away eventually, but how long should this sort of thing last for? It really is annoying, and affects everything! I can't even have the windows wound down in the car, because that makes it worse :(
If you've tried nasal steroid sprays for months without improvement, i'd wonder if you should be using a different brand?  or possibly oral steroids?
nasal steroids are relatively side effect free, except for sometimes causing nosebleed if the steroids thin the skin in the middle (the septum).  you can avoid this by spraying away from the middle.

it can last a long time, and steroids can take weeks to take effect.  see your doctor if it's not getting better.
2 months of blocked ears with worsening with air flights in the last 2 weeks sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction.  See your doctor and ask for nasal steroids.
I had the blocked ears for three weeks.  I didn't even have a cold and all of the sudden, it felt like I had a knot in my right ear.  It kept getting worse and progressed to my left ear.  The pressure was unbearable. My regular doctor prescribed a nasal steroid.  It didn't work.  I went to the Urgent Care clinic to get a second opinion.  He suggested sudafed during the day and benadryll at night.  That didn't work either.  I went back to the Urgent Care (everytime you go you end up seeing a different doctor).  Of course he said my ears looked good and there was no infection, the same as the other two doctors but he suggested keeping the house at 72 degrees, two steaming hot bath/showers per day, a warm air vaporizer in the bedroom at night,  drinking only warm fluids and trying to get as much rest as possible.  After the 1st day of trying his suggestions, I felt 50% better.  It's taken a about a week but I almost feel back to normal.  
I'm glad you almost feel back to normal, those medicines take some time to take effect, and it sounds like they finally kicked in.
I am a Flight Attendant on Private Jets (not commercial airlines).  I am suffering BAD from blocked ears especially the right one...decades ago I had TMJ surgery on the right side only. I sometimes "clench" at night from stress. Anyway, I tried the Neti Pot thinking it would be just the miracle I needed.  Thinks went from bad to worse. I ears especially the right one, is completely blocked, I feel lethargic, dizzy, weak, can't hear out of it. Bright sunlight and loud noises bother me allot.  I keep thinking the "Neti pot" will eventually work but the fluid seems to go into my eras instead of draining out the other nostril. I do the suggested yoga stances to help after using Neti pot like bend over and touch opposite foot with opposite hand and hold.  I do feel movement of fluid after doing that, the fluid drips out of my nose like a leaky faucet. I am tilting my head enough. I am always pinching nose and blowing to try and blow out the blockage I hear and feel the high pitch squeaking, squealing and popping but no relief .  Am I making things worse??? I have NO health insurance, so Rx and Doctors are out of the question. Please send HELP......Thank you.....
Have you tried hypertonic saline nasal sprays?  I used to have badly blocked ears and sinus drainage that bothered me all winter.  But using a hypertonic saline spray at least twice a day (often more) has helped enormously.  Try it--it can't hurt.  The Ayr hypertonic saline spray is about $8.
Good luck!
If your ears are chronically blocked[long term], and nothing helps...it's probably TMJ. Botox injections and a dental brace...
Found this site today and it helped saved my sanity - I thought I was alone with this issue.  My story is very similar to most of yours . . .

Have had the blocked ears for over 6 months now.  In the Fall it was an inconvenience - using the various 'unblocking' techniques I could clear my ears but they simply blocked again within a few hours.  By February they were continually blocked with pain in the right ear and pressure on the entire right side of my head.

Primary care physician referred me to ENT specialist.  He prescribed the Neti Pot (which I already had and used) along with a steriod spray - no improvement.  Have had 2 MRI/MRA tests - with and without contrast.  Good news is that the results were negative for tumors - bad news is that I still have the problem and no diagnosis. And I am now getting the squeeky noises!!

ENT sent me to a physical therapist for cranio sachral therapy, which previously helped my back pain. Initial visit indicated that the spinal fluid flow is terribly blocked.  Felt worse after the first session but this is to be expected.  Hopefully the next ones will help.  In the meantime I am scheduled for an ENG test since vertigo has become an intermittant issue.

I am currently out of work on short-term disability - the stress of dealing with the pain and pressure for six months is taking its toll on my personal and professional life.  Just knowing that I am not alone has been a great psychological boost, though.  Will try the breathing techniques and report back on the results of those as well as the cranio.

Warm regards to all -
Unbelievable! Im a 31 yr old male and it looks like im in the same boat as many of you in this forum.

Ive had blocked ears (left worse) for 16 months now. Started after a bout of flu. I have now had 10 different medical appointments and i'm still no better. Ive had my wisdom tooth removed (related to the ear sinus), seen 2 specialist doctors, 2 different ENT's, 1 MRI scan, 1 CT scan and an audiologist. Ive tried the nasal sprays and nasal steroids but they havent helped. The general conclusion from the ENT's have been that my ears and hearing are in perfect condition however that feeling of fullness in the head and the need to open the mouth to 'pop' the ears continues. My balance has also been effected. Im a surfski paddler and i now fall out often and always to my left which relates to the left ear being worse.

Ive always been a strong healthy person and ive just dealt with my ear problem and carried on with life but like it or not, it is now starting to effect me psycologically. The last ENT i saw wants to put grommits in my ears to ventilate the ear sinus, but im not keen on this idea. Im now open it any suggestions - Stress effects, anxiety, homeopathy, diet??

Good luck to all those with the 'ear' problem. Im sure there is a solution out there, we now just need it posted on this site.

Regards Stephen.
I'm 22. i've had a similar problem since i was about 16. it all started with a mega ear infection.

It took about 2 years before i had my fist micro-suction appointment with an ent nurse. That 2 years left me very deaf! We all know that being deaf is not nice, it seems to create a social barrier and I dont like it!

The micro suction does do the job though, temporarily, so I go about once every month and thanks to the NHS its free.

My ears are blocked at the moment however because I havent been for a while. My own fault, I missed an appointment so they struck me off the list!

IMPORTANT ADVICE:

1. Keep them dry whilst you shower (use cotton wool and vaseline as a plug - making sure your hands are hygenic before you do that) . And if you must have a bath keep your head above water.
and;
2. Never touch them. Resist all urges to prod them or stick anything down them.

Since I started following those two simple pieces of advice my ears have taken longer to re-block after micro-suction and have felt much much healthier. Also the cotton wool-vaseline combo once a day serves to clean your ears too..in a doctor approved way!

I'm sorry if that info is common knowledge, just thought i'd share.

I've been told I have Chronic Otitis Externa, but when I have reasearched this I'm not so sure. I think my problem is a combination of excema within the ear, narrow ear cannals, and an over-active propensity to create ear wax.

All of this makes me very much appreciate my hearing!
my daughter in law has had blocked ears for 4 years, had 2 sets of tubes in her ears, lots of doc appointments, with no releaf.  she is constantly dizzy and now cannot drive. she has 5 kids to care for and is always sick. I guess this problem is more common than we knew. her dr said that actually, her ears are not blocked, but the tubes are constantly open and filled with air, they don't open and close as they should, they stay open and air filled all the time. I hope we can find a way to help her soon.
CAT
I've been reading your comments for a month as I battled a blocked ear and ringing. 3 doctors, the dentist and Chinese medicine haven't helped but I saw a physiotherapist yesterday who thinks it's Temporo-Mandibular Disorder. Worth you guys investigating, especially those that aren't linked to sinus / ear infections.
The solution to ear problems is detailed in my posting of Nov 8th, 2007.
Follow  the breathing techniques and you will start to see improvements within 4 months.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.Build up your timing gradually and be patient.
Post your progress here, so others may benefit.
Hi all, I've got my own history with this -- recurrent ear infections and sinus problems as a child, then adulthood Bell's Palsy (facial paralysis) twice, once on each side. The first time was a total mystery, but the second time was preceded by an unexplainable feeling of blockage for a couple of days, like a swimmer's ear that just wouldn't pop, followed by an excruciating pain which drove me to the doctor. While he tried out different antibiotics on me -- the 5th one finally seemed to work -- the affected side of the face went dead. I underwent a mastoidectomy to relieve pressure on the facial nerve, then months of recovery. I got about 80-90% recovery of facial nerve function after each bout with Bell's Palsy, but lost a considerable amount of my (already bad) hearing after that second bout.

I just returned from Europe, where I hiked around at various elevations up to 2,200 meters and then made a two-flight return home, all with a horrible sinus infection. So you can imagine why I was desperate to find help online this morning!

Anyway, here's what little I have learned over the past couple of decades and the past few minutes that might help:
(1) Live healthy. Bad lifestyle habits that drag down your resistance set you up for these problems. My wife smokes a pack a day, never has a problem (go figure), but on the two or three times a year that I indulge in a cigar, sinus and ear problems are sure to follow. When you think about it, you are filling all those spaces in your head with particles of burnt leaves, and no thorough way to wash them back out afterward. This is what triggered my current sinus infection.
(2) If you have an infection, get on the antibiotics quickly. I can always tell by the color and viscosity of the gunk I'm blowing out my nose. Fortunately, a fellow traveler offered me Zithro that she hadn't even begun using, so I am able to take the whole Z-pac, even over a holiday weekend, instead of waiting to become enraged by playing automated telephone system hell with my doctor's office on Monday at 9:30.
(3) Keep your ears out of the water. Clean them gently when necessary with Q-tips, otherwise leave them alone.
(4) The "scuba breathing" exercise some people are describing in this forum needs to be fine-tuned a little: You need to close off not just the nostrils (with the thumb and forefinger of one hand), but also the UNaffected ear (with the other hand), and your throat muscles. So when you blow, the air is pretty much forced to go through the affected ear. I just discovered this on another forum a few minutes ago, tried it, and got at least partial relief for the first time in days.

I hope this helps someone.
Hi, I have many similar symptoms but I also hear harmonics or weird notes when I or other people talk/play music/ make noise. Reading this can be depressing! But I'm assuming most of you consider your ears to be blocked with mucus? There are loads of websites that deal with "mucus-decreasing foods" which recommend you pretty much can't eat anything - but how about cutting dairy products out of your diet? Also, drink water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (from a lemon - not a bottle).

The yoga breathing has helped me thanks hava!

good luck - don't give up!
HI, I haven't read all your comments but I've been having the same problem in one ear for almost a year. I've been to 2 ENT's and referred to a Neurotologist - they are few and far between - I travel 1 1/2 hours to get to one - but he only deals with ears, dizziness, balance, etc. My first ENT burst my eardrum by irrigating at a very high pressure and since then I've acquired a fungus infection as a result of too many antibiotics. It's really stubborn - he's been  treating it with Gentian Violet - he doesn't want to use anything stronger til the eardrum heals. He says he has one other patient with the same stubborn problem. The fact that he's so sympathetic really helps - he knows the discomfort I'm in and doesn't patronize me. If you still don't have results with an ENT I'd suggest a neurotologist in your area. Good luck, it's a miserable feeling, I know.
Try breathing exercise as per Hava's instructions.  My ears are usually blocked when I'm in bed but goes away in the morning but for some reason it was worse last night and wouldn't go away so I got out of bed and came across this forum.  I tried the exercise while reading all your posts and it helped.  Hope it lasts.  I thought I would go insane but thank GOD it's all clear now.  I wish this would work for all you guys.  I really do.  It's just strange that all these ENTs can't seem to find a solution.  Does this happen in the right ear for everyone?? It seems so 'cause mine was in the right ear.  I don't know if the breathing  exercise will help while I'm in bed.  Hope it does.  
  My right ear was blocked most of my life but in February it moved on to vertigo, spinning, vomiting, tinnitus, brain fog; and 7 doctors and one ENT and all their test did nothing for me.  The first doc said to take antivert and steroid nasal spray and drink water and pinch my nose and swallow and when my ears started clicking I would get better.  He was right about the clicking.  When my ears click I get better within minutes.  I stopped the useless antivert and nasal spray months ago.  

I could barely live until a mediquick doc flushed out my ear and it started clicking so I started flushing out my ear myself.  I have to flush out the right ear twice a day and the left ear about once a week.  I have been breathing in my nose and out my mouth and that extends the time between ear flushings.

I like the looks of the yoga breath exercises so I googled for written instructions and video instructions.  So far I have done the Kapalbhati, it was very hard for me to follow instructions but actually very simple to do.  I have great expectations from these breath exercises.

PS.  I had a runny nose all my life but the nasal spray dried up my sinuses so well that not a drop came from my nose for month, and this is what I suspect brought on my vertigo.  I now use saline spray in the mornings and clean out a ton of congestion.
Do the kapalbhati and anulom vilom  for 30 minutes each, twice a day and you will notice the benefits over weeks.Build up the timing gradually.
I have described the yog pranayam in my posting dated Nov 8th, 2007.
It is the duration of the breathing which really energises the body cells.
  yesterday I learned to do Kapalbhati and Anulom vilom and it was ok but when I woke up this morning I did them and they amounted to an excellent way of blowing the nose and congestion out of the head.  I think it is a natural way to blow the nose and should be taught to toddlers as basic health.
  And just doing it for a few minutes did clear my ears up for a little while.  Now, I will get serious about it.
   Between salt water nasal spray and your yoga breathing, my life time of runny nose may be over.  I still have to flush my ear to get rid of vertigo but it has been two days now since I had to flush.

I also learned that after flushing the ear I must lay the ear down on a heating pad for about 10 minutes to dry out the water or it can cause a problem.

I can tell when my ear is clear because it clicks and many a time today it stopped clicking until I did the yoga breaths.

I have been trying the breathing exercises and they seem to be helping.  I hadnt noticed that my one nostril was also slightly blocked until trying the exercises.  

I have also tried adding a teaspoonful of salt to a glass of boiling water and using a teaspoon putting the cooled mixture into the nostrils.  It has been amazing and really helped
  Thank you, thank you.

You have done what 7 doctors and one ENT couldn't do.  You have shown me how to clear my ears and stop my vertigo.

Sick for nine months and all I needed was to know the proper way to clear my nose.
I have to use saline nasal spray in the morings to clear my sinuses up enough to do the breathing exercises.

I can forget about flushing my ears.

Very pleased to see your progress.
Continue pranayam-breathing exercises for rest of life and you will get to know your body, and notice more and more benefits, mentally and physically.
My left ear stays completely blocked. I do get some popping sounds in my right occasionally. A lot of times I can hear my heart beating in my left ear. I also have severe sleep apnea. I would stop breathing 94 times an hour. But I now use a cpap machine every night. I have an appt with my ENT next week. I saw the ENT years ago and he performed sinus surgery which helped for years. Now its back. My left ear never pops open. I have visited the ENT twice already. The first time I requested a tube, the Doc was surprised not much fluid came out when he inserted the tube. I still have it in today. The second time was a follow up visit. Hearing tests were performed every visit. Loss of hearing was evident. I had these issues before the Cpap machine so we ruled that out. My sleep doctor did recommend a sinus rinse called NeilMed. Anyone ever use it? The first caution was do not use if you have blocked ears. I will give the breathing exercise a try. Hopefully my ENT can help me out the next visit, but after reading a lot of posts on here, I hope I am not wasting my time. Thanks for the info some have posted. I was not aware of so many things can affect the ears.

It is tiring saying HUH all the time from the hearing loss. Everybody tells me I need a hearing aid. If I lay on my right ear, I can barely hear out my left. It is annoying.
i have the same blocked ear problem   It is torture. if this can't be fixed, i will commit suicide.

on a brighter note, i have found a doc who says he can help me:
dr jordan Josephson. in ny.

some of you make have a nose problem that's affecting your ears that isn't indicated to most docs with conventional tests.

You may need surgery with a doc who understands the somewhat controversial relation between not being bale to breathe well and ear pressure.

i am having surgery to fix this problem with dr jordan josephson
http://****.*** you might want to meet with him

if anyone has been able to fix their problem please comment here
   Now I take a plastic bowl to the shower in the mornings and add some salt at the bottom and fill it with hot shower water.

I put my face in the bowl and in hale through the nose until I feel the water in my throat.  I don't want to drink saltwater so I stop there.  After I finish the shower I do the Yoga breathing exercises.

Many times I thought I had cured the vertigo but it always comes back.
    Most doctors give a vertigo patient antivert and valium well 7 doctors and one ENT didn't give me valium.  I even asked for it from the ENT and one other doc but they refused.

Last night I took a valium and my ears stopped ringing within ten minutes.  I woke up at 4am and took another valium plus an Antivert.
Now I have no more Valium.  This morning my ears ring a very little.

If this is what I needed all along I am going to be pissed at the doctors for making me suffer for so long.

Also I have been having to flush my ears about every 3 days to keep from getting falling down sick.  The docs tell me not to do that. I feel like it is a conspiracy to punish me because I dropped Humana  and refused to allow them to treat my prostate cancer.

For 2 years they have wanted to do a $23,000 treatment for prostate cancer for which I have no symptoms and a PSA of 4.2.

The treatment looks like medieval torture, I won't let them do that to my body.
  I found a couple more valium and decided to take a valium and an antivert before going to bed.  Well in less than 10 minutes both ears were clear. I was standing up when big gobs of goo came running out of both eustachian tubes.  When it was over I could feel air flowing in my Eustachian tubes when I breathed.  I did still feel dizzy but that could have been from the valium.  This is the first time in 10 months that my ears have been clear.

Valium and antivert is the standard treatment for vertigo yet every doctor refused me Valium.

Having my ears stopped up has been a maddening trip for nearly a year and two pills cleared it up in less than 10 minutes.  This is something no doctor would tell me and I couldn't find it on the internet.
    Before the vertigo my doctors wrote that I was a very uncooperative for not taking statin drugs and refusing cancer treatment.  I wonder if he was punishing me by not curing my vertigo or if he just didn't know any better.
   The valium and antivert (Dramamine) clears my head and keeps the vertigo away but I don't want to take valium everyday, so today eventho my head and ears were clear I took an antivert only and had my breakfast.  About 30 minutes later I sneezed three times and I wondered if sneezing was natures way of clearing out congestion so I laid on my back on a pillow with my head hanging down and also did the yoga breathing and I cleared 50 times more ear congestion than I got from the ear flushing only and just as much as I would get from valium and antivert treatment.
You are noticing the benefits of the pranayam (yog breathing exercises). It will also keep your PSA under control. Over time your immune system will get better and better. You can do pranayam twice a day to fight any health condition.
  Now I get great benefits from Pranayam and make it a part of my daily routine but it is only one tool of many.

After being very very sick for 10 months the only thing that could clear out the mother load from my inner ear was valium and antivert at the same time but now that it is gone I can drain my ears just by lying on my back on a pillow with my head hanging down and making little pig noises as I suck the fluid out of my ears.  My ears start clicking but I continue to suck until nothing comes out.

You can't know how wonderful it is to be well after battling vertigo for 10 months.  I only survived by putting warm drops in my ears and doing the sucking action for an hour or so and flushing my ears and doing yoga breathing.  That made me healthy for a few hours or a few days until the main fluid load in my inner ears dropped something to block my eustachian tubes again.

During the day I do the yoga breathing more than anything else to keep my ears clear.

Last night I went to a new years party and I danced like an animal until 1am and went to bed feeling good and woke up this morning feeling good except for a little bit of a hangover.

Dizzy? Vertigo? Gone.  Ears still ring a little but I hear fine.

any one of the 6 doctors and one ENT could have cured me with valium but not one would give me valium and when I told one of the I used valium to get well he reminded me it was a felony to use someone elses drugs.  Was he happy that I was well? no.  He was telling me that I might have commited a serious crime.
   Now I am inclined to mistrust and fear doctors but at the same time I know I need them.  They totally let me down on this one.
Hi, I also am having problems with blocked ears, when I wake up in the morning they are unblocked, but after about 1/2 hour they start to block up and can remain blocked for most of the day. I can hear my self breathing, my heart beating and hear myself talking like I was in a tin can when I speak. This started in October out of the blue with nothing precipitating it! I saw my primary who recommened Clartin which did nothing and then spoke to  my plumonary doctor who suggested sudafed and this did nothing. So I went to see my old ENT and he did a hearing test that was normal, sounded muffled but I could make out the tones as well as a test to check for fluid and there was none. Then he looked in my ears, they were clear and in my nose with a little scope and said I had an infection with pus(not sure I believe this) and put me on two weeks of Levaquin that did nothing to change my ears or make me feel any different as well as recommended a nasal rinse of salt, brown sugar and water that I was suppose to squeeze in my nose with a baby nasal syringe. This did nothing and actaully seem to make my left ear worse because it came out so forcefully. I went back for a follow up and said there was nothing he could do except put tube in my ears and I thought to myself no thanks, there must be another answer. I have several medcial problems I am dealing with that give me enough grief I was diagnosed with Follicular and Obstructive Bronchiolitis in August and have  Crohn's, Ankylosing Spondilitis, RA and sinusitis with constant thick drainage down the back of my throat for many years and this ear problem is the last thing that I need. Later in the day my symptoms are better and when I bend over or lay down my ears unblock, weird? Is there any chance that this thick muscous that drains down my throat would have anything to do with my ears? It's comforting to know I am not alone in this and will definetly try the breathing exercises. If anyone else has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck to all. Jeanie
I am 30 years old and suffer from the childhood illness glue ear. Nothing works to clear them.  Without tubes my ears become blocked and I cannot hear well and get throbing noises in my ears, ringing in my head and everything is muffled. It is caused when the eustation tube becomes blocked this  stops the air getting into the ears, Instead the ears fill with mucas. After having the tubes fitted the problem is cured straight away and the operation isnt painful afterwards. The tubes are air ventilation tubes inserted into the ear drum instead of the eustation tube ventilating them. The reason the hearing goes down when the ear is blocked is because the sound conducted through the air in the middle ear. The tubes create a small hole in the eardrum and keep them the open so the air can pass through. these tubes usually stay in for 5 years then fall out on their own. In my case they fall out my ears block again so I have the tubes replaced every 5 years. This is rare in an adult but in many cases if the tubes are inserted and mucas drained it may never happen again. It could just be a one off. If nothing else works I would consider the tubes, it is done in day case and is not painful. Your problems will be corrected immediately and you will be able to hear.
   The doc says your ears have no fluid in them but he wants to put in a drain tube, that means there is fluid in your ears.  I suffered vertigo with stopped up ears for 10 months.  After 3 months I took the sudifed  that you have to sign for because druggies make meth with it.  It opened my Eustachian tubes enough that I could suck out the ear glue, it came out like a string of sticky yarn and would clump up in my throat until I swallowed it. It was 3 hours on one ear and 2 hours on the other ear but it still didn't help my vertigo.
     The docs told me that my vertigo would go away when my ears cleared up. But they only gave me antivert and nasonex.  I requested valium as it ended vertigo for many of my friends when the docs wouldn't give me valium I went to the street and got some.  One valium and one antivert at the same time drained my middle ears of great gobs of gunk in about 10 minutes and my ears became clear. I still take it when nothing else will open my ears.  The tubes are for the same purpose.  

Heating up saline spray and lying on your back on a pillow with your head hanging down, you put in just enough spray in the nose to reach the throat and that helps clear the ears.  I make a pig like noise and sucking action in my throat and it ***** out the fluid from the middle ear.  Since I used the valium and antivert I only get small amounts of fluid.  This has cleared my life time of sinus trouble and my 10 months of vertigo.

I believe the nasonex was the cause of my vertigo because it dried up my sinuses so well that for months my nose never dripped and I never sneezed once.  That seems like a good thing but it is a bad thing because it doesn't allow nature to flush out your sinuses and ears.

There is also yoga breathing exercises that help clear up the ears as explained in earlier post.
Hey,
People i got tinnitus at the age of 21 at a Zebra show in a small bar the guitar was so loud it felt like a knife had just gone through both my ears once they healed the ringing stayed familiar story probably right? I learned to live with this after a huge struggle but then at the age of 27 i needed polyp surgery on my left sinus because i could not breath and the steroids they gave me could not shrink it. After this surgery the pressure i had in my ears was unbelievable, unbearable i went back to the doctor that did the surgery he looked in my ears and said nothing was wrong after almost checking out i saw another doctor that saved my life by putting tubes in my ears this helped a great deal but did not completely take away the popping and cracklin noises learned to live with it the last 12 years and had numerous tubes in and out of my ears. Now i have had a permanent hole in my right ear and a new tube in the left. The right ear has been great for about a year and a 1/2 with know tube because of the permanent hole but now i am getting a pulsating swooshing noise out of it constantly Doc says the ear is fine gave me some drops not helping any ideas.. Just had kidney stones also any link between kidney function and hearing?Dysfunctional estacion tubes is a freakin nightmare and i understand how frustrated you all must feel i would also like to find a support group on long island with younger people that have tinnitus and or dysfunctional estacion tubes.
   I made post after post saying I had to flush my ears to stop my vertigo.  Well, I learned the reason.   When I took a shower I would get water in my ears and my vertigo would start again unless I flushed my ears.

Ear plugs,  Now I insert ear plugs in until my ears are stopped up, that is the only way to keep the water out.

Now I don't have vertigo and I don't have to flush my ears.  yippe!  After one year I think I am free to live a normal life again.
hi there. ive been suffering from chronic ear blocking in my left ear for what seems like ages( a couple months). i am a personal trainer.i stumbled upon a cure. ive tried all the meds, and they DO work...but very slowly. there is only one way i can unblock my ears and it works every time(well ive tried it a few times). you will get immediate relief, but it requires some physical exertion. if you are reading this then you will be prepared to try anything,i reckon.ok.get yourself to the gym.see a trainer and be shown two exercises.they are the LEG PRESS and the LYING TRICEP EXTENSION (otherwise called the french press).now complete atleast six sets of about six to twelve repetitions of either exercise. you will probably not have to do both. train Very Hard.when you do this you will feel tremendous pressure in your face and head. some people even get headaches from the Leg Press.(very common).this pressure clears your sinuses like you would not believe. you can even feel your sinuses getting pressurised. amazing! extra bonus is you get to train your legs and triceps, so you ll get toned up.just had to share this with you all,cause i know how blocked ears just *****!
I have suffered from blocked ears now for eight years. It's driven me nuts.

The trouble is that it's a symptom that has different causes - and different doctors for each cause, none of whom agree with each other.

Your ENT specilialist will tell you it's Otitis Media; your dentist will tell you it's TMJ; your gland and blood specialist will tell you it's an allergy...

It's incredibly frustrating and annoying.
One of the unpleasant aspects of having blocked or plugged ears is that the the various channels in the head no longer drain out nasal and sinus fluids. That means there are often small reservoirs of mucus in the head that breed infection.

As other posters have indicated, a good way to clear these out - or drain them - is to use a saline flush.

My doctor recommended half teaspoon full of salt and a half teaspoonful of bicard of soda dissolved into 500 ml of lukewarm water.

I use a plastic syringe - available from any chemist - to inject 20ml up each nostril four times a day.

Be sure to have a bowl handy because just as you put the liquid in, it comes out fast through the other nostril or the mouth.

This doesn't unfortunately help open my blocked ears - nothing has helped there - but it has entirely cut out the low level infections and sinus-type symptoms to which I was prone for many years.

I hope this helps.
I had bronchitis that was treated with cipro, then immediately followed with sinus infection which I thought caused both of my ears to clog. I did a second course of Amoxicillin for the sinus infection but both ears are very clogged and it has been two weeks now. It is interfering with my work. I read here that some woman in Germany had a similar problem solved by some device that pumps air into the nose. I thought this could maybe be reproduced by a strong valsalva maneuver. I pinched both nostrels and 'pushed' real real hard making my head feel full. I heard a pinching noise in my left ear and it immediately unclogged...THANK GOD. I tried the same thing but added plugging my left ear also but did not get the right one to release yet. Given the sucess in the left ear I would say I had a retracted eardrum, from the sinus infection process, reducing the ability of the eardrum to work mechanically.  
I have had blocked ears also for years. I hear myself talking, my heartbeat and have headaches, I fell like Iam in a tunel. My nose also runs throughout the day. I've been to Dr after Dr they've never been able to find anything. Last night I tried sweet oil , didnt work. I can get my ears to pop sometimes but they just close back up. I've noticed my ears are a little better in the summer months. I have not been on a plane, or had weight gain or loss, I dont swim , I havent been sick. I dont know if I'll ever find a cure. How do you flush your ears out?
See a good dentist who specializes in tmj dysfunction. You will need a good head, jaw, ear ct scan done. You could be pushing your condyles into your ear eanal from bruxism.
See a good dentist who specializes in tmj dysfunction. You will need a good head, jaw, ear ct scan done. You could be pushing your condyles into your ear canal from bruxism
While using the saltwater treatment I discovered that there is two different operations going on. One is cleaning out my sinuses and one is cleaning out my middle ear. I clean the sinuses by sucking from the back of the throat and I have been very successful at that.

Clearing the ears: Mother nature has provided us with a natural way to drain the middle ear and that is by lying on your back with your mouth closed and snoring. I have improved on that system by lying on my back with my mouth closed and breathing in a long slow breath and focusing it's path to the roof of my mouth and lightly making a snoring sound and I can feel the two Eustachian tubes vibrate as this flowing air creates a suction on the tubes; sometimes I can feel the air flowing out my Eustachian tubes. Then I breath out and force the air once again across the roof of my mouth make a sort of kawwing sound without the k.

This clearing of the ears needs help. A few sneezes or coughs seems to get things flowing also the salt bowl in the shower also yoga.
I do the Lilis yoga "work out for beginners" where she has red leotards and some stripes on it. She does a lot of exercises on her back and this is the perfect time to do my "middle ear clearing technique" as being on my back and exercising makes things flow much better. Eventho I am draining my middle ear of copious amounts of congestion for the 30 minute tape it still doesn't completely clear my ears but within a few minutes into the tape my ears start popping.

At other times of the day I lay on the bed with a pillow on my back so my head hangs down and this helps with the "middle ear clearing technique". Sometimes I use a commercial saline solution to get things flowing.
Also when sitting up, it helps to close one nostril and blow out one then breath back in the same nostril and do the same for the other nostril, this helps loosen up the middle ears fluid. Also just blowing out of both nostrils at the same time for about 8 times gets the middle ear ready for cleaning.

I am not well but I can function by doing these things. I feel I will get well because keeping the fluid out of the middle ear will give it a chance to heal, or at least that is my hope.
Some docs put grommets in the eardrum to drain the middle ear and some docs are now operating on the Eustachian tube by running a fine tool up the tube and doing something to the top end of it. I haven't considered either one of those options.

I have never had any fever, or pain due to this condition. Also it is very important to drink plenty of water to help the congestion flow.
I have found a way to clear my blocked ear that I get regularly after a cold. I can go deaf for weeks then get an appointment with the ENT who goes through a number of procedures to help me get some hearing back. The one that works the best is the medical "turkey baster" that he inserts up one nostril (on the affected side) gets me to block the other nostril and hold my breath, then gives an almighty puff and then I usually hear crackle crackle and the dam is broken so to speak.

This time I have been unable to get an appointment so have taken matters into my own hands out of desperation. I purchased NeilMed Sinus Rinse from the Chemist (this didn't work) but the bottle itself is great to use as the turkey baster. I have had my husband help me because he can get a better squeeze on the bottle whilst I block the other nostril and hold my breath, took a few goes but I'm back in the land of the hearing!!!
    Hi Leeza,

Blowing the turkey baster up my nose is the opposite of what I need eventho I have read about professional devices that blow up the Eustachian tube to clear it up.   With my problem, my middle ear was full of congestion and blowing in is not good.

However, I bought the Neilmed you mentioned and it is most marvelous.  I had thought that I would have to give up yard work because it left me with a terrible sinus infection but with the Neilmed, I can work out in the grass and pollen and come in and flush out all the allergens with the neilmed.  It comes with 100 packets of salt and a base to neutralize the salt. It has totally cured my sinuses and almost totally cured my blocked ears.  I wish I had one when I was a child and prevented a life of having a runny nose.

It works 100 times better than my bowl of salt water in the shower. Takes much less time, is more comfortable and effective.

I came here today in despair due to my blocked left ear. We came over some mountains about 9 days ago and both ears plugged up. The right one popped but the left one never did. It was driving me crazy! 2 trips to the Dr, Sudafed, Benadryl, antibiotics, steriods, neti pot,ear candle, ear clear drops, Afrin, 2 different types of herbal allergy supplements - nothing. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack as I read the posts here from those suffering months, even years with this. Then I read about the German dr and the blowing device. So I got desperate, went to the garage, found a hand pump that came with a kids blow up bed, cleaned it and pinched the right nostril, held my breath and pump a few times into my left nostril. I thought for a second that my head was going to blow off - then poof!!! The ear cleared! So I'm praying that it stays clear. Thanks for posting about the blowing!!!!!!!
I have an ear problem that I have not seen addressed anywhere.  Instead of a plugged eustacian tube, mine does not stay closed, according to the ear specialist I went to, but remains open.  This causes a "roaring" in my head that is driving me crazy.  Just by breathing, the sound is like a jet plane inside my head.  Sometimes it is just one side, but most of the time is affects both ears.  I can get temporary relief (a few seconds, usually) by putting my head down as far as posslble, but it always returns after I straighten up.  I live in Houston, which supposedly has one of the best medical facilities in the world, but I can't get any help for this condition.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with ear problem.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out slowly through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 20  times

Also do this.
Close  your nose with thumb and forefinger.
Breathe in and then blow out 3 times keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards). You will notice the ear drum moving.
Do this only once per day.

The benefits will show up gradually. Come back to post your progress in 14 days,3 months and 6 months.
Continue the breathing technique once a day for rest of life, once you are better.
Does anyone have the blocked ear with numbness around the side of the face near the ear. I have this. Have had for just over two weeks now, has been painful at times, but mostly driving me mad like you all say, but how you could have coped with it so long beats me....  I have been to the doctors who gave me 'OLIVE OIL' to drop into my ear two drops twice a day, all it did was make it worse and much more painful.
Is this an old traditional method that is supposed to work?

Am making appointment to go back today, as am not happy about the numbness in the side of my face near my affected ear.  Also it feels as if my other ear is beginning to go the same way.
Hello all, I feel for everyone here because my problem started about 9 yrs ago when i flew in a airplane. It was the most PAINFUL thing i was just about in tears! My ears were killing me. In 2007 i had vertigo, it was sooo severe i could not even funtion this went on for about a month. Ever since then i have had presure in my ears, hearing loss, the back of my skull even hurts. I have been to many ent doctors, the said i have dysfuntional eustacian tube. They told me to take flosanse, and the gave me steriods. This is driving me totally INSANE i am really getting deperessed! If anyone knows how i can get any relief PLEASSSEE help me, because these doctors really have not helped me at all. I am so disgusted i just don't know what else to do.
Here is an interesting bit of news. I too have been living with a clogged left ear for three weeks now and have an appontment with an ENT. I was surprised to find out from my dentist,go figure,that i had an absessed tooth that i didnt know about and that maybe why my ear is clogged. The doc said that it could be inflammation of the surrounding tissue that is pressing against the ear canal. I have antibiotics that i am taking for 10 days and so far no change but i am hopefull it will clear up when i am finished my course of medication. Some of you may want to explore this. It makes sense to me.
I am 32 weeks pregnant and am unable to take anything for my blocked ear, I am using a saline solution spray and have now tried your breathing exercises.  I only started last night after reading this thread and I definately have improvement.  I did about 45mins last night at different intervals then for 15mins this morning.  I will continue to do this before and after work and hope to regain my hearing before my baby is due.  Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone, I recommend everyone give it a go and as you say be patient with it!

It is good to see that you have noticed the benefits of pranayam so quickly.You can continue the anulom vilom and bhramri and you will have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy happy baby.

I have had this problem for six years.  Have tried everything there is to try in the line of nose drops.  Bought the Ear Popper which makes my problem even worse, been to chiropracter, physical therapy, acupuncture with no help in sight.  One ENT put tubes in both ears and made me lose my hearing in my best ear.  Another ENT discovered that I also have TMJ.  I am now trying anxiety-depression medication to see if that might help.  Have told by ENT's there is nothing they can do for ETD.  After I had the tubes put in, I developed a clicking noise in both ears so I wouldn't recommend tubes to any adult, nor would I recommend the Ear Popper.  It may help someone else but didn't do nothing for me.  I also treid the Neti-Pot.  If anyone comes up with a suggestion I haven't tried please let me know.

Marie500
My post on June 24, 2009, about pranayam will help you with ETD.
Do it and come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.
Hasn't anyone tried the news paper on fire in the ear??? YOu make the news paper like a cone n light it on fire. The tgop that is... Then you can hear the ear pop... Somin like that is too work....

N e how... I looked at this n many websites.. I had like a hay fever n all. My ears blocked...   I went to urgent care.. They said nothing wrong wit ears.. just sinus...Prescri8ped some advil type pills like 600 mg for headache. I took sudafed 30 MG over the counter.. Sinus of nasal cured but gave my ears no help.. then claratin D 30 MG OTC no help... Then I just stayed  without no pills. I drank my tea n salted crackers.. n bread.. veges n frut.. then the v8 n fruit drinks.. n all.. I then tried to stay dairy free as it produces more mucus as I was told n as I researched. I was still getting heavy headaches like mucus was in my what are they, estachian tubes i assumed... Well, I couln't eat well, no running or exercise..  I had lack of energy. I looked at this forum... I saw the bannana for the tic thing... and the cigarret smoking.. I cut back on smoking.... So when I went shopping I was sure to buy them bananas since I haven't ate them in a while.. I also read that U can be missing an ordinary nutrient of your body as I researched by the way. So I got a cigarret the other night. I smoked it. Blew it out my nose. I inhaled with each nostril with one covered like 3 times each. It got a little bad.. i did get light headed... But the next morning I was headache free... Really... I was happy.. But then I just said but my ears... man.. maybe this can help you if you have what I had.. Headache n ear blockage n pain. So, yes today, I ran n did a work out after 3 weeks.. But I did run twice durring my sufferage because I felt like I needed to run to be shapy.. So I ran n I felt my ears poping... Maybe all the movement in my head.. I don't know.. But when I ran before I didn't feel the popping. So, now I was just swallowing n yawning..Real yawns, What I been trying to do... N lil mini pops.. Maybe all that running was making me tired. ha.Now my ears I hope will clear by tomorrow. But, I'm going to get another cigarret from my step dad to see if it will help.. I still have very minor sinus congestion though.. Oh i might take a little nyquil multi use medicine..

I hope this is helpful to someone...

Emanuel
try the Ear Popper ask your MD or pharmacist. It really works. I had blood and heavy mucus blockage and it cleaned it right out .
Hey, back here, now My Ears are pretty clear... I went on a few jogs n man did I yawnn.. I'm so happy my ears are now about 85% clear... Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Popping... I think it was the ciggarate inhaled throught the nostrils each. Then led on to better things.

3manuel
This morning I was thinking of giving up the ship.  Nearly two years of lying on my back for 4 to 5 hours a day draining my ears just to have a few hours of decent life is getting wearing but any slacking up and I get too sick to get out of bed.

That is when I came up with a new plan.
   With a pinball machine you flip a ball into the chamber and pull the handle and set the ball on it's way.  Suppose you could not see that the ball was gone so you spent hours and days pulling the handle and trying to shoot all the pinballs out.   That was what was happening to me.  When I pinch my nose and swallow and there is a drop of fluid in the Eustachian tube and I do my sucking action I pull out only that one drop so all efforts after that are wasted.  I must put another ball in the chamber (another drop of fluid in the Eustachian tube) and suck it out.

That is what I have been doing today and it is working very well and not taking up much of my time.

I will continue to flush my sinuses twice daily with neilmed.  When I pinch my nose and feel pressure on either ear and can't release it, first I will inhale from my Vicks inhaler and if that doesn't work I will just squirt one shot of 4way fast acting nasal spray and the Eustachian tube will open the tube and allow another drop out of the middle ear.  Then it is back to pinch and swallow.
After a 2 week sinus infection that became a lung infection and then a cold, my right ear blocked up. I had no pain or dizziness, but couldn't hear squat. This lasted for a month until I found my cure. I tried so many things! I started with hydrogen peroxide drops, mucous thinners (first enzymatic serrapeptase and then guaifenesin), moved to Tea Tree and Grapefruit Seed ear oil drops, along with homeopathics. This of course accompanied by extra vitamin C, D and zinc (in addition to all my usual supplements), and neti potting out the kazoo. Also herbal (cayenne) nasal/sinus squirts. ARGH! Sleeping with a hot water bottle helped a bit at first, and then seemed not to help more. Then I moved to drug store antihistamine and finally to decongestants! All of this over the course of a month and accompanied by every form of body and energy work I could think of. The positional stuff had the most effect of all of this (see below). None of the other stuff really touched it, except holding hot echinacea/lemon grass tea in the back of my throat over the eustachian tube, which of course is also positional, in addition to expanding the air already in the tube.  That did get the eustachian tube popping a bit (as did laying a hot water bottle over the ear) but it stayed blocked and I couldn't hear out of it. Reading the internet reports from sufferers was particularly distressing, as they reported having this condition lasting months and even years!
What turned the tide was the Dr. Christopher cure, in two preparations: Garlic Oil, and Ear and Nerve Formula (tincture). At night, you put drops of Garlic Oil in the ear, followed by the Ear and Nerve formula/tincture, plugged by some cotton. Doing this made an immediately discernible improvement. (I also did the tincture a few times a day orally.) After less than a week, the ear no longer stuffs up, although there is clearly a positional component. It does stuff up some when I'm looking down for long periods doing bodywork or when I go posturally-unconscious on the computer.  The opposite position (head turned to the blocked ear side and tipped back) mechanically opens the tube a bit. My bodywork therapist says that the bent-forward head position collapses the eustachian tube, and mine lost its resiliency for awhile. It's much better now, but I could tell yesterday after a few sessions in a row that it was stuffing up a bit, still NOTHING like it was there for awhile. Dr. Christopher says Ear and Nerve Formula nourishes the tissue, and that full recovery can take a long time. I'm into it for the long haul.

So... Same old story. :-)
Nourish the affected tissue with a whole product. Not just a vitamin, but a whole complex of relevant nutrients.
Keep the bacteria at bay until the tissue recovers.
Laugh a lot.  Be grateful.  Give it time.
Thank you Dr. Christopher.
Hello everyone: I've been sick for a year and a half with this condition.  It has taught me more than it has taken from me.  I started out with a sinus infection/dizziness, blocked ears, sensitivity to light/sound, panic/anxiety attacks.  I saw doctors/specialists to no avail.  It seems to be the common denominator amongst us all, right?  There also seems to be as many variations of this illness as there are people who agree that the ENT's are taking your money and wasting your time.

I am a 46 year old professional man.  I was brought to my knees by this condition.  I was on the sofa for months with the room spinning, nausea, panic...intense fear of never getting well.....then suddently and spontaneously I was well in Sept and Oct. of this year after suffereding for 15 months.  This month started out badly again with symtoms (symptoms) returning.  I was dumbfounded.  What was I doing differently that could've brought this on again??? I have not been sick and look the picture of health.

I realized I was eating dairy again.  I was beginning to feel "sassy" again and so I began to eat milk products....yogurt, cheese, butter.....and felt so stuffed up afterwards.....and then came the mucous in my ears...and the dizziness followed....here comes the anxiety attacks again....you get the picture.  I highly recommend "cleaning up" the diet.  I eat fish, chicken, organic vegetables, olive oil, nuts...(except peanuts and walnuts make me worse)...the important thing is to listen to your body...keep a diary if you have to of what you ate and how it made you feel later.

I tried the neti pot and I think it made me worse....and I was constantly blowing my nose to release  the mucous in my tubes, but I was actually driving the mucous down deeper into the ear canal.  When I did this I became even more violently ill with dizziness and a general foggy feeling.  Cognitively, I began to notice that I would forget words and couldn't concentrate.  I was hypersensitive to light/loud noise.  And the panic attacks worsened.

I was debilitated for at least 8 months before I noticed any improvement.  I had to take my health into my own hand as I knew these doctors were not going to help me. I had been to many and I was treated like I was a mental case, as if I were making this all up.

Currently, I am on Astelin/Zyrtec.  These have helped some, but have not cured me. Give your body a break from the over the counter as well as the pharmaceutical meds...they will lower your immunity and make it harder to fight this thing.

I highly recommend that you take B vitamins for stress.  Also, I take Dynamic Health Vitamin C/w/liquid bioflavanoids.  It is the main ingredient in those expensive tinnitus formulas at the drugstore, but is a lot cheaper.  It does help inner-ear health.  Another thing that helps fluid stay out of the ear canal is Dr's Best Quercetin/Bromelain...follow directions....I take 4 capsules a day...I take Magnesium Citrate before I go to bed and it helps one to sleep quietly/peacefully...It's great at lowering your blood pressure and calming your nerves.  Work up to 400mg. daily as too much at once can cause diarreah (diarrhea). Its a powder and you mix it with a little warm water....II order all of this from Vitacost.com for those of you who don't like to pay full retail.  I also take digestive enzymes which seem to have helped clear some of this mucous as well.  Some people have said Grapeseed extract is good for the sinus/allergy issues as well as NAC (it's an amino acid that reportedly thins out mucous in the body). Eat lots of fruits/vegetables, and tons of water to flush out mucous....remember, AVOID DAIRY.

All I can say is this: take this time to learn more about your strength/weaknesses....learn to trust God and rely on Him to at least offer you comfort until you are completely free of this...Make this time redemptive and give it to Him.  He's the only one who will be there for you.  My friends abandoned me as did my family.  They just couldn't understand this condition and didn't want to take the time to try and understand it.  Even my partner didn't get it.  It was me and my God.  I have learned that I can be a Rock....I used to be sensitive and prone to "poor me"  attitude...This illness has changed me forever.  I am strong.  I am loved...and moreover, I love myself.....You guys can beat this...don't give up...I prayed for everyone of you tonite...May you all find peace and healing...Thank you for reading my story.
Thanks for persisting with the yoga advice and instructions, Hava. People will give it a go when they get desperate enough. I know I will.

I'd beware of Zyrtec side effects, FloridaJohnBy. Just google Zyrtec Withdrawal and see what happens if you miss even one tablet.

Noone has mentioned BPPV - the most common cause of vertigo. If vertigo is part of your problem, try the Epley manoeuvre or Brandt-Daroff Exercises. They are well described on the web, are probably harmless, and might just work. Good luck!
ears ringing !! 24/7 just recovered from a cold doc says i have vertigo and tinitis and on meds for vertigo but today my left ear is almost blocked it sounds  as though it is full and that iam under water !! acompanied by a sore throat cud it be linked?? dhas anyone had a sore throat as well as tinitis!! sick off ringing ears and now my throat :(
  My ears seemed to stay filled with fluid.
  I just made an important discovery.
Looking at an internet picture of a baby compared to an adult and with the baby the Eustachian tube is almost horizontal but with an adult there is more of a downward slope for the middle ear to drain into the mouth.  So the baby has more ear infections.
     For a couple of years before getting vertigo I tried to straighten my posture by raising my nose up in the air in hopes that my posture would follow but raising the nose above the ears causes  gravity to drain from the mouth to the ear.  By putting my nose below my ears they should drain from ear to mouth.

Does that make sense?

Posture does play a very important part in ear blockage.

here is the picture I speak of.
  http://www.allina.com/CCS/doc/graphics/images/en/19596.jpg
   I have been feeling well for so long I stopped taking medicine until this morning when I woke to a spinning world.  One decongestant and some nose draining cleared me up.

One 10mg Pseudoephedrine from walmarts in the mornings and one spray of steroid nasal spray in each nostral each evening and I keep the bear outside my door.

My Nurse wife says I am like her mental patients who stop taking their medicine as soon as they feel better.  I say you should take medicine and get well.   She says I have a chronic illness that requires constant attention and after 2 years I am ready to accept that it is a chronic illness.
Dudes!

I have had the ear blockage problem off and on for ages, and have found a solution that works for me at least.

Go somewhere where you can make a lot of mess and a lot of noise - the shower is the best. With your mouth OPEN, take a deep breath, block one nostril with your finger and blast the air/snot whatever else is up there out of the other. Keep going, even if you get a choking reaction. Swallow when you've done it. Repeat for the other nostril, and again, swallow after. Do it a few times, even swapping nostrils while you are blowing out. I tried also incorporating Hava's suggestion, which I found also helped to loosen things up.

The sound is horrific, but the action stirs up the deepest corners of your sinus tubes, and has cleared my blocked ears. You obviously won't be able to do this if you have a cold.

It won't necessarily clear things the first time, but you should hear the problem ear popping and groaning, which is a good sign. A couple of times a day for a few days should start making a difference.
It good to know that my pranayam (breathing techniques) helped you. You have to persist eveyday to benefit. It is all described in June 24, 2009 posting.
I was going crazy, with my blocked ear for the past two days.
I dont think any other discomfort in your body can throw you off your routine like this.
I think I finally found relief with the breathing exercise. After 10 minutes today, I notice some improvement. Will try more often now.. thanks.

Iam Kishore from Dubai..

1) One year back I suffered with "MOMS" and Vomtings Continiously and i did joined in Hospital and after 5 to 6 days then I got one problem with my Left Ear and start Itching and ringing sounds then My doctor Reffered to ENT Specialist and Doctor Saw and wants to check some Hearing sound Testing reports

2) Sound Test Results was 80% loss my left Ear. and Doctor saw the reports he advice to C.T.Scan and results    was abnormal.

3) Finally I loss my left year still iam have some little sound in my middle Ear  NERVES was infection with MOMS..

4) I can able to Hear some Big sounds and please any one can Give suggest to Improve my nerves power...

Please Help our any for like TMC China medecines.....

Thax and Regards

Kishore
Dubai, UAe.
   I've had plugged ears for more than a year.  It started with itching in my ears then eventually they became plugged.  I've had signifficant hearing loss in my right ear mostly.  I feel foggy headed & like I'm under water at it's worst.  My well respected naturopath firmly believes that it's a yeast infection of the ears.  This would explain why antibiotics, carbs, & sugar make it worse.  Following a strict yeast cleanse recomended by him really helped.  
   I've also seen a dietician recently who discovered some food allergies, mainly gluten, dairy, & wheat.  When I avoid those foods I feel better & when I eat them my ears itch & get clogged again.  I haven't pinpointed which allergy worsens it yet, but it's atleast one of them for sure.  
   Breakdowns in the intestines due to continued consumption of food allergies & yeast feeding foods lead to signifficant problems that really stack up including nutrient defficiencies & yeast overgrowth & mutation problems (candida albicans) which lead to more problems like dizziness, fogginess, irritibility, forgetfullness, anxiety, depression, lethargy, fitigue, digestive discomfort & bowell problems, headaches, nausia, & even autoimmune diseases such as rhumatoid arthritus & a lot more.
   It's tough, but we really are our own best doctors because we can hear ourselves better.  The food allergies I mentioned are very common & avoiding them long enough to let your intestines heal could be all it takes to clear up the ears.  A visit to a registered dietician might be worth it.
   It's not an easy answer but it's the most helpful info I've gathered about plugged ears.  I hope it works for someone else too.  Finding & healing the root of the problem is so much better than just putting a bandaid on the symptoms.
I am experiencing blocked ears I started 2 years ago when my husband installed a humidifier in my central heating system.We also have an air exchanger which my husband closedtraps .  the fresh air does not come in but the force of the bad air which still goes in box because of stayle air trap being on same side as incoming air lets stale air in box., The force of air sends air out through wrong pipe once being in box. I only found this out  recently. The house is in a deficit of air.. MY husband has the same as me but does not want to admit it is the house.and refuses to fix the problem. He does not want cold winter air coming in. I only get the blocked ear in my house.I also get the pain in both ears. Check your house See where you block .I believe that any house can go into a deficit  with all the fans to take bad air out of the house example  bathroom fans stove fans  etc. In the new homes they all have air exchangers .which I believe can give problems if not working properlly.
  My doctors did not recommend taking too many decongestants because it raises my blood pressure.   Well, after taking them for months my heart started acting up so I stopped taking them.
   I learned that the decongestants dry me up and are no longer effective unless I drink more water.    Without the water neither the decongestants or  my heart works very well.
I have had a cough and blocked nose for 4 weeks now.  Have been to the doctors who said it was just a viral infection, and gave me sudafed to take for 3 days.  After taking that,  I got a full blown cold, runny nose and the cough got worse.  Went to the doctors again, have now got a nasal spray and cough medicine to help me sleep at night times.  Nose is now blocked again.
Woke up this morning and now have blocked ears.  Its really is not a nice feeling.  Have been looking up lots of different wibsites and to my suprise it is common, but not sure what is the best thing to be taking to help.  I can not hear properly and am shouting all the time, the kids think Im mad.
Can anyone give me some advice.  Cant really take sudafed as Im on blood pressure tablets.  So very limited on what I can take.
Read my posting of June 24 , 2009 on this thread and follow the breathing techniques.
Do the bhramri technique for 20 times everyday.
You will notice very gradual improvemnt in the ears.
Anyone with ear,nose and eye problems can follow this and use this pranayam to help others.Do it everyday with concentration and with eyes closed.
RELIEF FINALLY.....my ears have been blocked for almost a year now. I saw 3 ent's and a audiologist to see what was wrong and they all gave me something different from menieres to otosclerosis, but i knew it was not that serious. I read a post from some one who used a air compressor and unstopped their ears. Well, it's eleven o'clock at night and i don't feel like going to find one and don't even know if it's possible at this time of night. Anyway, to make a long story short, i turned to my husband and asked him to blow in my right nostril which is the side that has always been stopped up and he did very forcibly. Well, needless to say my ear unstopped and has not shown any signs of stopping back up. i know it sounds crazy, but my opinion is, any type of force of air in the nose on the side that is stopped up or both may really help. Please remember that this is my personal experience and it worked. I don't know if it will work for everyone, but it may not help to give it a try :)
I have had plugged ears for a very very long time, found out its allergies. Sudafed worked 25% of the time. The answer for me, was

ZRYTEC.

Give it a try, it took 2 days, but I have been unplugged ever since. not a coincidence.
Zyrtec A? Harry you got that? You should try Cleratin if not. It popped half my hear n decongested pretty good. I also have postings in Early September. Hope it helps.

Emanuel
wow... amazing! i have had the same problem for the past 8 months... what strikes me in all the posts is that it is always the right ear or both ears but never the left ear on it's own...
would there be a reason for that? Is it where the answer maybe lies?
I will try the air in the nostril... i think i'll try it by inflating a balloon and letting the air out! will let you know if it works
Hi All,
Like most of you I've suffered through this same ear problem.  The thing that worked for me, and it takes time and dedication, is similar to what us4northwest suggested.  I focused on an anti-mucous diet, meaning I avoided foods and eating habits that cause mucous.  

AVOID:
Dairy
Any refined or processed foods (white bread, white rice, etc)
Sugar
Peanut Butter
Orange Juice
Wheat
Red Meat
Excess fatty foods
Alcohol
Coffee / Caffeine
Smoking

Good to do:
Drink water w/ 1/2 lemon squeezed into it upon waking
Eat smaller meals (over eating causes poor digestion, leading to mucous breakdown)
Don't eat right before bed (you won't digest well = mucous)
eat as much green leafy veg as you can stand --- cleans you out!
exercise
I took a lot of the diet advice from Paul Pitchfords' book: Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition.  But if you google anti-mucous diet, you'll get an outline of what to avoid and what to embrace.

This took me about two months, but I woke up one day and my ear was clear.

I also now notice that when I eat a little dairy (which I love) or drink a little coffee, I can feel mucous in the back of my throat.  

This may seem extreme to some, but it sure as hell beats surgery, medications and it was all I could do without health insurance :) !

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Good Luck.
I had a sudden onset of blocked ear and muffled hearing after a particularly vile cold. Visits to doctors and referrals to ENNT specialists all resulted in the same. Nasal spray plus anti-inflammatories plus analgesics. I was in some panic as the condition worsened and i lost about 80% of my hearing. The nasal sprays seemed to have some effect while the cold mucous lingered, though the pills had no discernible effect.Eventually my right ear more or less cleared,although I still seem to have some hearing loss. The left ear remains stubbornly blocked, with a sensation of pressure, and numbness on the left side of my face. Occasional pain, almost no hearing in my left ear.  The condition has persisted for almost a year, with varying levels of discomfort. In the last week I have started taking a Chinese herbal medicine recommended by a Chinese pharmacist friend. Since then the blocked and pressure sensation seems to have diminished substantially and i feel more comfortable than I have done for months,although I'm not sure that my hearing has improved much. The boomy echo of my own voice seems also to have lessened. I can't be sure that has anything to do with the medicine, it might just be a coincidence. Unfortunately I can't read or write Chinese, so I can't post the name of the medicine,but if anyone is interested or thinks it might help, I could try to get a Chinese friend (I live in China) to type the Chinese characters into this forum.

Hilbow
Hi everyone,
this year was the 1st time in my life that both my ears became blocked. anyway, i went to see a doctor and she said its coming internally, cos my ears are clean plus i noticed mucus in my throat most mornings. anyway, she told me to take antihistamines and sudafed and steroid nasal sprays.
i tried everything but nothing worked, then i took some antibiotics, but that didn't help either. i thought i was going to go insane!
anyway, 3mths later and the good news is my ears are unblocked, but i can't say that it is 100% though, cos i can still pop it by moving my jaws (open n close my mouth).
so, what i did was what has been said but not as intensive.
i cut out all dairy products, no cheese, yoghurt, milk etc.
avoided too salty foods like chips, etc. which tends to create a bit of mucus too.
but the thing that helped most is this i reckon: wearing a nightguard/occlusal splint every night. i don't grind my teeth too much (you can tell this by looking at the length of your teeth - if they look really short from your younger photos, and when you put your teeth together and move them around you will see the ends of the teeth meeting perfectly like a jigsaw piece and if so, it is almost 100% you grind your teeth)
- but i clench like a maniac - too much stress i think in today's society.
Most ppl will either clench or grind or do both when they sleep (so you wont know you are doing it) but there's good evidence in the dental literature to show that it happens and since the ears internally are i think connected to the TMJ (jaw joint) - it gets a nice workout when we grind/clench our teeth. Anyway, i can't explain this well, but may this causes some form of mild inflammation of the joint which causes excess mucus production? i don't exactly know, all i know is ive been wearing my nightguard everyday since and my ears have not been blocked again. plus i'm back on dairy and i'm still fine.
the steroid nasal spray may have helped a little as well in conjunction with the nightguard.
So, u guys might want to see your dentist for one - it should cost around $450-600 for a full nightguard which fits either on all your top or all of bottom teeth. pls don't get a tiny one which covers only the 3 front teeth - that sort of splint is for another purpose. also, if u do get one, it's called a michigan splint, and get the hard variety  - there is another variety which has a soft liner liner but it's crap - i had one, and that was a waste of money. so i had to get another one - the hard traditional michigan one is the one that suited me best. its not the most comfortable thing to wear and if you have sleep apnoea it can make it harder for you to sleep also - i.e. don't get one if you have problems with sleeping.

also, anyone with blocked ears who has to fly, i used a product called earplanes - i'm from australia so i just bought it at the chemist here. u can google them to see if your country has a similar product. anyway, a doctor friend told me to try them and it worked for me - when my ears were blocked, i used them in the car, bus, train, planes, anywhere where u can feel the pressure building up more than usual (some closed vehicle).
i travel a lot ... and i noticed i always fall asleep before the plane takes off and before it lands. i wonder if this has also contributed to damaging my ears ?? maybe it's a whole bunch of causes, which led to some irritation in my ears, and causing the xs mucus production which caused them to block? i dont know. anyway, i've since changed my flying habits - i wear earplanes before it takes off, and make sure i stay awake for take off n landing so my ears equalise in pressure.

hope this helps someone out there.
take care everyone and best of luck, hope your ears all get better! i know how u all feel cos i had it myself and it sucked so bad i felt like not waking up at all on some days.. and some days it was so bad i was dizzy all the time so i could only lie in bed. So, i know what u guys are going through.

btw, i didn't see an ENT cos the wait list in australia is around 4mths, and my ears got better by 3mths.. plus i prayed to God everyday :)!!
btw, i wasn't sick or anything when i got the blocked ears. i just woke up one day this year and one ear was blocked, and within the week, both ears became blocked.
just remembered, i'm not sure if it worked, but i'll mention it anyway. i was also taking cordyceps - like 4-6 pills at night and 2 pills in morning for around 1.5mths, but i stopped taking it when my ears were still blocked. so i don't think it worked by itself. but it might have helped ...
definitely, try to cut out dairy for a good 3 mths, wear a well made nightguard, eat some multivitamins or immunity booster natural vitamins, eat a reasonably healthy diet (aka avoid deep fried chips) and pray... :) BEst of luck again everyone! and if it worked pls tell others so that everyone can get rid of this seriously unpleasant condition.
Regarding the device to blow air up your noise (Read Lalawawa July, 22/2007) I have found the device and it is called the earpopper. Here is the link: http://www.earpopper.com/
I live in Canada and it can be purchased at London Drugs for $200.
I know it sounds like a lot but after all I have been through since Christmas '09 what is one more thing to try out and the fact it is not Medical is great cause a person can only take so much before the med's start screwing with us too!
I will update you all on what happens once I buy the unit.....
I have had ear blockage probobly due to allergys (allergies) so when it is pluged (plugged) i use a mixture of water and hydrogen proxide (50/50) and the bubble are drying out the ear and it works for me, but im not a doctor so thats just my sugestion, so i would sugest geting ur doctors advice first before u try it.
I had blocked ears almost constant for the past two years.  Initially, I thought it was an allergic reaction to dust/pollen because I also have congestion too.  My doc put me on Nasonex, two rounds of anti-biotics and a candle burning treatment for ears.   Nasonex cleared up the constant congestion and in a minor way my blocked ears.   In the two years, I also suffered from an eye infection, throat infection and Bells Palsy. All are connected and I am becoming my own advocate.  My last air flight caused my ears to hurt so bad I almost cried in flight.  

Next week,  I am going to see the Doc for fungus meds after hearing Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum discuss an unknown cause for constant congestion:  Fungus build which is hard to detect but a major cause for sinusnitis.  

I will keep you posted on my journey to get rid blocked ears.  
Glad i'm not he onlyone suffering this. I first got blocked ears about 2.5 years ago and went through the usual circus of doctors. Tried ENT's, accupunture, CTScans Nasonex  and nothing. 8 months ago they unblocked (unfortunately only for about 3months) and now it's back. I use to be able to unblock them by opening and closing my mouth but this no longer works and am back on the the Nasonex. It makes it very difficult to hear in pubs or busy rooms so other tan trying to change my diet (which I will) is there anything else people can recommend..?
November 23rd, 2010
The Yog  Pranayam will  help with ear problem gradually.

Anulom Vilom –
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.

Duration : 5 to 21  times

Do this to help with blocked ear.
Breathe in,
Close  both your nostrils with thumb and forefinger,
Blow out hard, keeping the mouth and nose closed (the cheeks will blow outwards).
You will notice the ear drum moving.Repeat this 3 times.
Do this only once per day.
Close  both your nostrils with thumb and forefinger.
Do this only once per day.

The benefits will show up gradually. Come back to post your progress in 14 days,and again in 3 months and 6 months, so others may benefit.
I've been dealing with this issue for more than three years. After the first year, I completely changed my life and habits...exercise & meditation 3x a day, took up yoga & tai chi, stopped smoking, drinking coffee/caffeinated beverages and monitored intake of all other food/beverages and even environmental "toxins" which contribute to poor ENT health. In addition to taking allergy/sinus prescripts, nasal sprays/neti pots w/ cleansing salt and OTC meds NONE of these factors mattered! At best the combination of lifestyle change and medication relieved the pressure but not the day to day symptoms that so many of you have described above. I've seen multiple doctors, ENTs, hollistic healers etc just like all of you. Three + years and my ears are "perfectly normal" and "fine." No trauma, no damage, no infection. I guess we've just been spontaneously affected by this phenomenon that science and medicine has not come up (or caught up) with a reasonable explanation for its origins or how to remedy it. Anyhow, I hope you guys continue searching for healing, as am I. I will be sure to share anything I find with you, now that I know there is a community of people who are affected by this condition.
  There is one syndrome that is still making it's rounds as to what ENT's and other specialists hear of.  The first paper was wrote about it in 1998, and again, still there's many ENT's and other specialists that don't know about it...  Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence.  This has a whole slew of symptoms and not everyone with this has all the symptoms.  The biggest is the ear fullness, which I went three years before I got serious enough to get it checked out.  Luckily I have a Dr. who was studying this very thing.

Do an internet search on this and see if you have at least some of the symptoms and/or ask your ENT about it.
Thank you. I will certainly look into it!
hi i have been having a prob with blocked ears and i got a vibrating pillow and held at the base of my neck and let vibrate my ears opened up no kidding try it!
   What kind of vibrating pillow did you get?   I googled vibrating pillows and found all kinds, sizes and shapes.

I use a hand vibrator on my head but it would be sooo much easier to just lie my head on a vibrator.

I haven't been able to get much help from a spinning vibrator so I use an oscillation one, that is one that has a weight that oscillates on a V shaped steel spring.
HI MY NAME IS LORI I AM 38 YEARS OLD I BEN KIND OF FOLLOWING ONHERE AND JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME. I DONT KNOW IF I HAVE PATULOUS OR NOT CANT REALLY GET A DOCTOR TO PAY ANY ATTENTION TO WHAT I SAY. I HEAR SOME POPPING WHEN I BREATH WITH MOUTH OPEN BUT NOT ALWAYS HEAR IT WHEN I SWALLOW EARS ARE NOT BLOCKED BUT DO HAVE PRESSURE AND BURNING PAIN AROUND THEM STRANGE NERVE FEELING SOMETIMES HOT AND SOMETIMES COLD AROUND IN INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF NERVES HAVE HAD SOME PROBS WITH EARS POPPING BUT NOT ALWAYS SOMETIMES HEAR POP WHEN BREATHING OUT THROUGH MOUTH BUT NEVER HEAR WHEN BREATHING THROUGH NOSE.NO NOISE DISTORTION WAS HAVING SOME TINNITUS BUT SEEN CHIROPRACTOR LAST NIGHT AND HAS WENT AWAY SOMETIMES MY EAR FEELS LIKE IT IS TWITCHING. BUT CERTAIN WAYS I MOVE IT QUITS. JUST WANTED SOMEONES FEEDBACK ON WHAT THEY THINK. ALSO WHEN IT FEELS LIKE A BUBBLE IN MY EAR IF I TOUCH THE TOP OF MY EAR IT GOES AWAY. THANKS FOR LISTENING. WOULD LOVE SOMEONE TO TALKTO REALLY SCARED RIGHT NOW.
hi,i have sound in ear,it worsens if i eat dairy products,witch is not really healthy for adults,i also lived in a house with fungus,i left that house and now im more sensitive to allergy,witch i heard is common after having fungus problem,it can take years to recover and some folks never recover fully,also i wanna point out Dust mites,they are bad too,so here is a good solution for  all of you with blocked ears noses headackes dust mites allergy and fungus=Answer is simply essential oils,blend it with water and spray and clean walls,also very good is put 10 .drops of lemon oil in hot water and put in in middle of room.
Why,because lemon oil keeps bacterial and fungus and mosqitos down,and even some hospitals are testing this cause so many bacterial as immune to antibac stuff,so they are trying this in some places,with good results. there are other oils that have more effect on tihs but google essential oils and health and you will get some good advises and weppages that tell you more,good luck you all
Mine started from a normal cold like stated from previous threads. When I read about the eustatian tubes being a problem and the thread about the head positioning, i cocked my head back fully while sitting down and I lean back a little and viola it de-pressurizes but the problem is when I move my head back down it becomes blocked again. Can anyone help?
Look at my post of November 23, 2010 and do the pranayam regularly, with concentration.
Come back to report your progress.
   I find the best help is from a Yoga DVD for healthy back and neck.  I can't find the link to my DVD but google yoga for healthy back and neck, they will give you exercises to correct posture and to sit and stand correctly all day long.  This is the major help for my stopped up ears also lying on the bed with my head leaning back a little past the edge, this is a good exercise to correct head forward posture and it helps drain the ears and sinuses.

When standing or sitting, I have to be careful putting my head back as leaning only my head back closes my Eustachian tubes, I have to lean my shoulders back but keep my head looking ahead straight and level.  

to Hava,

I have incorporated your breathing exercises into my daily life, they are not the cure but they help a great deal. Thanks

That is two things from Yoga helps cure my vertigo, those ancients were on to something good.

Also I still use the nasal steroid spray ever so often but only when my sinuses stop up.

Another great thing is the Nealmed bottle with saline water and a squirt of 4 way nasal spray in the red bottle.

I am doing great but I must spend about 2 hours of exercises to keep doing great. At 69 I think arthritis requires me to have absolutely correct posture.  Many young people spend a lot of time exercising to stay in good health too.
Sorry but I'm usually very busy in my day to day life and I usually do not have the time for these or recreational things, if I get a chance to I will try it out.
I'll check it out thanks, but I don't see how the cold is connected to this or is it just a very big coincidence.
Viewing 1-200 comments: