CHRONIC BLOCKED EARS
HI I HAVE HAD BOTH EARS COMPLETELY BLOCKED FOR OVER A YEAR. HEAVY FULLNESS AND PRESURE. THEY HAVE NEVER POPPED, HAVE SEEN MANY DOC'S AND ENT'S WITH NO HELP. HAD TUBES PUT IN 2 WEEKS AGO AND BLOCKED AND FULLNESS IS NOW WORSE...HELP ANYONE. ALL SOUNDS ARE MUFFELED AND GOING INSANE!!! CT SCAN SHOWED NOTHING AND ANTIBIOTICS AND NASAL SPRAYS AND SUDAFED AND NO HELP. HELP PLEASE.
It is time to try an alternative.
Start doing the following breathing exercise daily and it will help all your ear problem.
- Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
then - Breath-out through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then -Deep Breath-in through right nostril keeping left nostril closed
then - Breath-out through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for 15 minutes twice a day.
--
After a few days indicate how it is helping and I will suggest further breathing.Do it and it will help the body to fight the ear problem.
Have you tried benadryl or sudafed?  Sounds like a fluid problem.
Sorry to hear of your suffering.  Were you exposed to a possible allergen that you still are suffering from, like mold or dust...did you recently move?
help please!! I have had severe blocked right ear with lots of insane ringing, doctor put me on antihistamine and decongenstant, its still the same, 3days later, I cannot blow ny nows without feeling like I a going to blow my eyeballs out too, that is how bad the pressure is I would appreciate some info?
Liz

I have been through some bad ear stuff over the past years.

The worst case scenario was that I had a fungal infection and the anti-biotics they put me on actually fed the fungus making the situation worse.  I hope you go to an ENT...I had gone to regular docs and to the emergency room...they had no clue.

If it is a regular ear problem, it is probably fluid caused by a virus or possibly a bacteria....the best you can do right away is to relieve the symptoms with an antihistamine like sudafed or benadryl...

But with your urgency I suggest an immediate appt. with an ENT.

Please let me know what has happened...and best of luck to you...I know it can make you feel crazed!!
Yes, thanks, I have appt with ent next week.I will not rest until this is resolved. Where is the real "house" when you need one? I am on a zytek-d. not helping.arghhh. I appreciate your response
liz,

Great, I am sure you will get it solved...hang in there!
Thanks for all your comments... I have tryed both benadryl and sudafed on a daily basis for 5 months and no changes!!! Even been going to a homeopathic doctor 2 times a week...by the way our bill is up to $10 000, and still no solution.  Went to ENT today and he said that it is a mucus problem in the eustation tube, and no meds will help just time.  Well it has been over a year!!!!give me a break!!!
Hi, I am back, went to the ent, said there was nothing significant in my ears and nose. So a hearing test is ordered to determine if he eustatian tube is damaged. I came across a great informative website called houseclinic it focuses on ears and ear disorders. There are so many causes for ear problems, I didn't realize, but, in most cases, the tinnitis,itching,"wet" feeling is an allergic response that sometimes does require surgery. I do not believe in tubes for the ears,come to think of it if steroids can help reduce the inflamation,contrary to what I previously thought then perhaps its something to consider. Anxiety, caffeine and aspring seem to pop up as worsening the tinnitus sound. I will continue to research, I refuse to believe what doc's tell us, its definitly something to look into, x-rays,the tiny bones in the ear anything can cause headnoise. BUT I think that in my case it sounds like allergy related, still its very frustrating and only someone who has this continuous ZZZZiiing in their heads would understand. Hang in there, and don't give up
sorry, the website is houseearclinic. and OMG the thought that a tumor could be growing is just horrific.
Hi ive had  a blocked right ear  for 2 months now  have seen the doctor twice he says its fluid  and gave me a decongestant well theres no signs of improvement i have to go back he says if its no better and he will get me an appointment with ENT  but its driving me mad with
worrying whats  wrong i havent had a cold or anything it feels blocked and every noise is muffled and echoes through my head and feels like a grinding  feeling in my ear and head has anyone else had this and how long does it last ive even tried herbal remedies  but nothing works i would like to hear if nayone else has had this problem its driving me mad because im thinking all sorts of things
Your post here surprised me as I pretty much could have writen it myself as MY story - I was googling "blocked ears" when I found this site/post..  About a year ago I got a cold (no big deal, I get about one a year) but my blocked ears have never gone away.  It has literally been a year for me as well and, as I am usually a very healthy person with no allergies, it is driving me insane.  I have been to my doctor who said I might have some fluid in my ears and to try sudafed.  Used it again and again and it did not work.  Then I was prescribed flonase.  Also did not work.  Just saw an ENT doc who said my ears look perfect, I have no hearing loss and that it is just a puzzle and probably something I would have to live with.  I am not sure if I should be relieved or worried that is all looks normal.  It is maddening.  We tried those beeswax candles and are now working on more homeopathic remedies.  If I ever find something that works for me, I will post it and please, please, please do likewise if you find something that works for you as well.   Thanks!!
Im suffering from the same situation. I started with a colded,  then got blocked ears and they have never gone away. The doctors have told me there is no infection in my ears, they are just block especially the right one. The doctor said i need a operation and i've been waiting five months now. I'm going crazy because the headaches are now every day 24/7 and I feel like a chronic pill popper. The chemist even know me well now. I would love to try a natural remdie if anybody knows any please let me know. The headaches have became that bad I could properably say they are migranes. I also feel off balance like one side of my body is heavy then the other. Has anybody had the operation? and does it work?
I had the same problem as a cause of fluid building from allergies. I used a sinus rinse from the pharmacy followed by nasacort, twice a day. And I took benedryl at night. My ears popped eventually.
the sinus rinse: buy the box of saline packets and the actual rinser, which is a bottle. Sometimes the packets come with the rinser, sometimes not.
I have been suffering from the same problem for over a year,  both ears clogged I can barely hear anything and it is literally driving me insane and making me depressed, I have been to the Docs but it is always the same old B.S. they look fine try this, FU PAY ME.  Its hard to find a good Doc these days, its all about selling that next script.  Anyways I am desperately looking for a solution to this problem because I can not take it anymore, I will post anything I can come up with that works.  Beleive me I feel your pain.  Has anyone tryed the wax candles?
Ear candles are useless.  Not to mention the FDA has a "detainment" order on ear candles crossing the border.

You can not tell from otoscopy the middle ear status. Sure it is an indication, but it is not a final test.

You need to have:

Otoscopy
Tympanometry
Air and bone audiometry

After these test, a determination regarding a person's middle ear status can be made. The docs that just look into the ear and use that as their only diagnostic tool can't afford the equipment or an audiologist to run the equipment. So they just wave their magic wand, take your co-pay and send you on your way.

In the future, and this goes for anyone with ear issues, see an ENT and only ENT with an AUDIOLOGIST on staff. Do not see an ENT with an assistant doing hearing evaluations they will not know what they are doing.

Audiologist at least have a masters degree in the area of hearing disorders and a large percentage of audiologist have doctorate degrees.
Oh sorry, for those looking for a solution. You may be suffering from glue ear, a condition that is difficult to treat. The bacteria is rather stuborn.

I personally like PETs (tubes) I'd rather than than continius meds. For those that smoke and have eustachean tube issues....   well there you go, that is one of the benifits of smoking.
hello, my right ear pops whenever i do weights at the gym! or like today after i was running on the treadmill... i made the mistake of going for a swim and now my left ear feels funny. i went to the doctors about a month ago and he gave me beconase nasal spray it hasnt really helped. ive tried steaming but no results. its been like this for months! at first it felt like i had water in my right ear whenever i went to bed my ear was itchy, one day it wouldnt stop ringing! my only worry now is that im goin on holiday next week and ive had flu on a plane before and the agony in my ears was horrible! im scared this is going to happen again! it would ruin my holiday :-( any tips would be great!!
Use a nose spray at least 30 minutes prior before you fly.
I've had the same problem__started last summer with what I thought was wax in my ear.  Dr. said my ears looked fine but put me on sudafed, etc.  It kept getting worse until I started running to ENTs.  An audiogram showed a slight hearing loss in bad ear but nothing out- of -line for my age. But my ear kept getting more and more pressure, brain fog set in along with tinnitus, I became sensitive to noise, and my head felt as if someone had poured a pitcher of water into it.  One ENT said I was "pre-meniere's" because I wasn't having the severe vertigo.  I ended up having to take a medical leave from my job.  
I finally went to the Mayo clinic and they gave me a steroid shot in my ear and instead of calling it "meniere's" they said it was endolymphatic hydrops. A more exact diagnose.
I just found out there is a book by a Dr. R. Gacek, he taught at Harvard and has been past president of the Otolaryngologist Society.  The book title is "Viral Neuropathies of the Temporal Bone".  I asked all the doctors I visited over the last year if my ears could be related to the herpes family of viruses because I do get cold sores.  At my request my current doctor has put me on an anti-viral med and the pain that was starting in my other ear has cleared up and the tinnitus in my bad ear is greatly diminished.  I finally have some hope of conquering this thing.
Yes, sadly it sounds as though you have been dealing with quaks. Most any ENT worth his or her salt will not throw out the diagnoses of meniere's disease upon an initial visit.

and yes, most ENTs worth their salt know about the Herpes virus asualt on the ear. Albeit it is a subject of debate, most ENTs accept it as a fact that the Herpes virus does attack the cochlea.  I have seen it many times, if it is actually herpes, I do not know that for a fact, but I have seen people respond positively to Valtrex & steriods.  

But Hollybeaks situation has nothing to do with a viral attack upon the cochlea.
Do any of you suffer from TMJ temporal mandibular joint disorder? One of the things that is a symptom is chronic blocked ears
"TMJ may cause ear pain, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), and hearing loss. Sometimes people mistake TMJ pain for an ear problem, such as an ear infection, when the ear is not the problem at all."
I am currently having a terrible time with my left ear, and was looking for relief and found this site, hope this helps some of you!
hey, i have been steaming every day and am hoping it will be ok! not been gym since so not sure if it still pops! thanks i shall use a nasal spray before i fly and take some sweets to help pop my ears. thanks for your help. im glad i found this site i was getting worried and its so hard to find the right help sometimes isnt it?  im glad to hear i dont have herpes of the ear :-S good luck everyone ^__^
You're wrong__most ENTs do not know about the assault of virus on the ears.  I visited 3 ENTs before finally being referred to one of the leading "specialists" on Meniere's__he's done more endolymphatic shunt sac surgeries than anyone.  And, I wasn't responding to hollybreak's problem but the originator of this forum topic.  And, the virus is most likely not in the cochlea but on the trigeminal nerve which then affects the balance nerve and can lead to endolymphatic hydrops.  I had to advocate for myself and ask my ENT at the Mayo Clinic to put me on an anti-viral.  Lots of people are getting endolymphatic hydrops and not getting proper medical treatment.
As I said before, "Most ENTs worth his or her salt...."  

if they do not know that then they are not worth their salt.  Fairly simple, is it not?  How is that statement wrong?  

Never mind, don't hurt yourself.

You are full of hot air and giving out very mis-leading information to people on this forum. Your statement that the virus attacks the cochlea is based on what?  If you're such a know-it-all you should pick up Dr. Gacek's textbook!
Meniere's is not a simple list of symptoms and there is no definitive test that can diagnose meniere's.  Most ENTs do not know what to do with people who come in with the symptoms of so-called "meniere's".  Usually, they will be told to stay away from salt, given and diuretic and maybe a sedative and sent on there way.  We have to be our own advocates.  There are some ENTs who are knowlegeable about endolymphatic hydrops and how best to manage the symptoms but there are many out there doing needless surgeries and making peoples problems worse or, just letting people suffer with a debilitating disorder.  
Jules,

People call me Doctor for a reason. Actually, I am not sure if you have even bothered to read my posts, on another thread regarding M.D. but they are essentially in agreement with yours.

Hot air indeed....

If you're a doctor then you know that Meniere's is not really a diagnosis but the absence of one. If you're an ENT you would most likely have heard of the "meniere's specialist" I went  to and first said I had "pre-meniere's" and a month later called it "atypical meniere's".  The only thing this world-famous neurotologist offered me was a diuretic, a sedative and a hole in my head.  If he had given me an anti-viral when I first came to him, my ears would probably be in much better condition.  Thankfully, I cancelled the surgery with him and went to the Mayo where the information was much better.  I know people who have had only the vertigo and a hearing loss but no other symptoms and it's also called "meniere's".  There's a lot of frustrated patients who are not getting the help or answers we need for our plugged ears, tinnitus, and noise sensitivity.
As I said, before, essentially you are preaching to the choir. I have been published in 2 different countries, lectured in 3 different countries, practiced in 2 different countries and counting. Menieres Diesease (MD) and in my opinion Cochlitis or neurinitis are at many time waste basket diagnosis.

The sad truth is, when a person makes an office visit to an M.D. the MD has to make a dx. in order to justify his or her actions to the patients insurance. They justify their actions via a waste basked dx and then the patient gets to wear the badge of Miniers Desease etc forever. Then they kick you out of the office, charge you insurance co. 350$ for the 3 minute visit, & six months later the insurance pays around 100$ to the physician. Regarding the patients health or recovery.... was that ever a concern in the first place?

It is a messed up system, and physicians do it all the time without any consideration of the longterm ramifications. That is one of the reasons I prefer to work outside of the US. Although, I am licensed in the US, currently I do not work there.

But bashing on me concerning the situation as if I am some how responsable is senseless.
You're right, I shouldn't be bashing you please accept my apology.  You got it right with the "waste basket" diagnosis.  So, are our ear/temporal bone problems being treated any differently in the country you are practicing?
The major difference here, is the lack of care...  lack of care about health insurance, and what or how health insurance co. will respond to care methods/tactics/choices.  You see in this fine country, there are two systems at work. NHS and private. Those that can afford private go to private, but do have the option of going to NHS if they wish. Those that want health insurance purchase it, at a very cheap rate. One thousand dollars a year for like a platnimum level coverage. Insurance co. do not even squirm when they get billed from the physicians, they just pay up and move on.

Also, there is no real CPT code system or DX code system....  so physicians do not feel the need to creat problens or diagnose problems that do not exsist.

To say it is perfect, it is not....  sure the many problems that insurance companies create are removed, but ultimatley the patient is still at the mercy of the physicains abilities, knowledge base, experience, ego etc.  
i have tried the breathing techniques suggested at the top, is there anything else you all can reccommend?
Just thought I'd share what finally worked for me here.  I got a allergy attack about two weeks ago, and both of my ears had been plugged ever since.  I went to my doctor twice who put me on antibiotics and said to take Sudafed.  In that time I was checking this and other internet discussions looking for any kind of solution.  In addition to the antibiotics and Sudafed I tried, Mucinex, Bendadryl, Claritin, hydrogen peroxide in the ears, a sinus wash and ear candling.  None of this had any effect at all, and I was beginning to get desperate, seeing as I haven't been able to go to work, and it was horribly uncomfortable.

My boyfriend told me that years ago he was travelling in Germany, and had an allergic reaction and both of his ears got clogged up.  He went to the doctor there, and the doctor simply took out this device and placed it in his nostril.  When the doctor squeezed the device it blew a burst of air up his nose and immediately unclogged his ears.  I was a little skeptical of this seeing as I've been doing tons of research and haven't heard of anything like it, and my doctor seemed clueless to anything like this as well.  Well finally in my desperation, we fashioned a device that would perform this function.  Blew a burst of air up my nose, which immediately unclogged my ears.  I can't tell you what a relief this is.  I'm not sure if there is any kind of danger or potential negative effect of doing this, but I can tell you that it was well worth the risk for me.  So, just wanted to put this information out there, and I hope that the people suffering from this condition find some relief one way or another.
I have the same problem in my right ear - it happens a few times a week and lasts a couple of hours and is very annoying and disorienting when I'm trying to meet with clients. How did you make the air blowing device? I'm not interested in all the drugs that don't work!
Hi everyone,

I've had this problem since feb when I had an ear infection that took 3 antibiotics to clear up. Finally the fluid went away several months later but the sensation is still there. So I went to and ENT. He took one look at the medication I take and said "you need to change the blood pressure medicine. It causes various problems such as this in less than 5% of the population." Good thing I took those antihistamines for 3 months!
My advice would be to have someone check your meds if you are on them in order to see if there is a rare side effect that would cause this.

B
i read this forum few days ago since i had the similar problem described by many here. I tried an alternative remedy suggested on the top of the page . that of breating exercise... well that's also a popular yoga pranayam and i knew how to do it but was unaware that this would help blocked ears.

Believe me the results started showing within minutes of the excercise... i did for few times intially and then about thrice daily and on the second day itself it was much better and must say that i feel quit normal today compared to what i was for the past 2 weeks. the blockage appears to be cleared but i am still continuing with the same breathing routine once in a while.

personal experience.............. can work for others too.... no harm in trying......
all the best

all the best
Hello everyone, I have been suffering from the problems mentioned above for the past four or five years.  Symptoms include chronic blocked ears (comes and goes in intensity but is always present), a crunching noise when I move my jaw around sometimes, some ringing of the ears especially when trying to sleep.  Breathing exercises sometimes help to relieve pressure but as soon as I get a little under the whether the blocking comes back with a vengeance, and no amount of breathing exercises will help.  I have seen 4 different ENT specialists none of them could help.  It is not a buildup of fluid, and pressure results showed up as normal, even though they felt a bit blocked when I was doing the tests.  If anyone knows anymore information about any of the methods already mentioned above, or any other, I would appreciate it.  I have recently had to completely give up my career as a sound engineer due to this problem.  It has been driving me slowly insane for a long time.  I am getting to the end of my tether, need help, please.
Please tell us how u fashioned this device. Please.
I recently recovered from a virus where I was getting heart pumping cold sweats three times a day as my system revved upto fight it off. The virus left my system but it left a horrible throbbing pressure on my ears that ebbs and flows and i'm constantly swallowing to unblock them. It's been like this for about three months now. The other day after my capoeira class I was talking to someone and my ears suddenly got muffled like I was hearing myself underwater, I went home and drank water and the noise of me swallowing was amplyfied in my ears.....  it was unnerving to say the least. I saw a GP who told me it was stress related and to seek chinese medicine!!!!! So after two weeks of foul tasting tea  and relaxation (the tea got better towards the end) I ruled out stress as I know what my limits are and I was dubious to begin with and thought it might even be hay fever related, but the antihistamines i'm taking have had minimal impact. So... from what I can gather the drugs don't work at all, tubes are a maybe, ENT's are generally not worth thier salt, I should try a form of yoga, a self made german air pumping device, alternate nostril breathing exercises or surgery... from  a doctor worth their salt preferebly......

If it is virus relatedshould it not clear up after time? I feel for you markj30, I don't know if we have the same thing as I don't really get the ringing thing, hope we find a solution soon. If anything works for me I will post.
I would like to thank lalawawa 7-22-07 for sharing the German style "air burst" solution to plugged ears. My right ear was plugged for only a week, but it was very irritating; I feel for all who've struggled with this problem for months or years.  After reading about the air solution I was desperate enough to try it out along with holding my nose and blowing to pop my ears and wow! ...it worked! It's been several days and my ear is still clear.  Before my ear plugged, I was on Allegra and prescribed nasal spray. Things only got worse. I'm so thankful for being willing to look foolish and try out the unconventional.  
how did you make it??!!!!
I personally believe in my case that my blocked ears and the ringing are not directly related, I feel that they need to be treated differently.  However having blocked ears amplifiers the ringing, making it much worse then it would be normally.
How did you make the device to blow up the nose?
All I used to "blow" my nose was my garage air compressor. It's a trial and error thing. Start with a little pressure and build up carefully. It didn't work first try, but it worked on the only day of trying. I filled my air compressor partially and using the hose with a blower quick-release attachment on the hose (the button type used to cleaan the workbench from sawdust), I blew air into the ear-plugged side of my nose. Of course, I had my garage door closed so my neighbors couldn't get a good view for photos.
The air does no good going into the lungs, so close the back of the throat area to block that passageway. The air is to clear out the sinus areas only. It may seem like nothing is happening. Just to let you know, after the first attempt, my condition got a little worse. That was exciting because, like pushing the clog out of a plugged drain, I knew I was on to something. I just kept trying again and again. I also held my nose and blew like scuba divers would. My plugged ear gave a loud squeal but didn't clear. More hose blowing, then more holding the nose and blowing...another loud squeal and ureka!! My ear has been cleared over a week now.

Be careful. It worked for me. I hope it works for you and brings much relief.
I too have had ear problems. Itching sensation in the inner ear, ringing noise that lasts for a few seconds then fades away, constant crackling noise when swallowing. I have been trying a mixture of ispropyl alchohol and vinager. This only stopped all my symptoms once. This occured in my left ear when it felt like the mixture got inside of my middle ear and then drained down the eustation tube. I felt a cold feeling draining from my ears towards my throat. This cleared the crackling, pressure, and other issues in that ear for a few days. The symptoms did return but now the mixture approach does not work, mostly because I think I had a small tear in my ear drum from doing the scuba diver method of blowing air into the middle ear to equalize pressure. Either way it had to of been this tear that let the fluid in because I did feel a stinging sensation when the mixture hit my ear drum. That stining sensation is no more. Is there a safe way of irrigating the interior of the eustation tube? I think this would help me solve my problem and maybe the problems of others involved in this discussion.
I would also like to add that I have been to several ENTs about this problem. ALL of them were worthless and not worth the copay I paid them or the money my insurance gave them. I am lucky in that my GP has the same problem I do. So he understands what I am going through. Unfortunately insurance will not pay him to do what a ENT can. So I am screwed there. My GPs name is Dr Edwin Matthews in Las Colinas Texas.
Also my problems started after a very severe Cold/Flu that I had 4 years ago. Since then my hearing has gotten worse and worse.
Update: On youtube I found a video regarding a Neti Pot. I went to CVS and purchased one. On the first use I noticed that the clicking/popping noise was gone but later came back. TGhis confirms the noise I am hearing is a issue with my eustation tubes either being blocked or having some type of dysfunction that causes improper function.
FYI I am able to place a microphone into my outer ear canal and record the sound, which sounds like a higher pitched clicking sound than what I am really hearing which has a lower more robust sound to it.
I am  so relieved to hear that others have been suffering with the same problem as I have.  This has been going on for a year or more and I seem have hearing loss (although that could be from the blocked ear).  At the moment, there seems to be a ringing in my ears and I am also going insane - so nice to know there are people who understand the feeling.

I am from South Africa and my doctor informed me I had a viral infection (a year ago) which would take time - isn't a year long enough without improvement.  I will try the breathing exercises and other suggestions.

Good luck to all sufferers - stay sane
Yep, I have the blocked ears too, probably due to the virus I am still fighting off.  I have noted that drugs are not all that successful in most of the comments above.  Here is something I just tried which has somewhat helped:

"How To Unblock Your Ears
Swallowing activates the muscle that opens the Eustachian tube. You swallow more often when you chew gum or let mints melt in your mouth. These are good air travel practices, especially just before take-off and during descent. Yawning is even better. Avoid sleeping during descent, because you may not be swallowing often enough to keep up with the pressure changes. (The flight attendant will be happy to awaken you just before descent.)

If yawning and swallowing are not effective, unblock your ears as follows:

Step 1: Pinch your nostrils shut.
    Step 2: Take a mouthful of air.
    Step 3: Using your cheek and throat muscles, force the air into the back of your nose as if you were trying to blow your thumb and fingers off your nostrils."

This was from a site describing how to unblock your ears due to air pressure when travelling.  Maybe something to try? The site is http://www.midwestear.com/educatl.htm
i stated having problems many years ago with the pressure in my ear, it was driving me nuts, went to different doctors and problem resolved on its own, no medicine helped me ,now a couple of years ago it started again, went back to different ent doctors more medicine prescribed, nothing helped, the only thing that seems to help is the water pic treatment that the doctor prescribed after the sinus surgery that he said i needed, even though he felt it wasnt going to help the clogged ear.  the pressure seems to be gone again,   my final word on this matter. the first time it started was about 20 yrs ago then it went away, if it comes and goes like that i can live with it, dont lose hope. i didn't.
ive had blocked ears for nearly a year now. im a flight attendant so it has caused havock with my job. ive recently had sinus surgery and grommets in my eras, the grommets have become blocked and need to be taken out. my old ent wanted to put bigger grommets in, i decided to change ent as i didnt like the surgery surgery surgery approach of my old ent.
#the newent won t put new grommets in as he said that they  can cause problems in adults, and that the blocked ears are the result of something else and this needs to be identified and treated.
a word of caution, i used a netty pot to wash my sinuses and several times the water went down my estacion tube and blocked my ears.
im fed up with my ears and unsure how much longer i can put up with it.
HELP
I suffered for 2 months from blocked ears from May - July 07. I also had constant ringing in my right ear after a few weeks.
Saw my gp who prescribed sudafed. It didn't work.
Saw another Dr who did a scope for me and found nothing but refd me to ENT for check.
ENT did another scope 1month later. Again, nothing wrong - no blockage.Clear.
However,a hearing test revealed loss of hearing in the high frequency in my right ear.
So MRI was ordered. MRI appt was a month away.
In the meantime, I bumped into a friend who recommended traditional Chinese medicine.
I consulted this TCM practioner in Singapore who took my pulse, observed my external skin,etc and pronounced that 'I had a growth somewhere in my body'  - frightening thought .
'However, Drs would be able to detect where even with all the tests.'
1 month later,my MRI proved him right - nothing abnormal.
He recommended I take a course of TCM for 6 months as it was due to an alletgy or autoimmune disorder.
3 types of capsules:
1. To detox the blood
2. To strengthen the immunity
3. To aid in the digestion as there is poor absorption of nutrients from my food intake.
Guess what:
After the first week, my ears were like 1/4 less congested.
By the 2nd week, congestion was lifted off by 1/2.
By the 3rd week, congestion was off by 3/4.
I am now into my 6th week of continuing this medicine. It's not cheap but hey, I've got a life again!
cjen is right. Tradictional chinese medicine is effective and has helped me clear my ear block problem. I haven reading this forum since 4-5 weeks ago trying to find out more about this blocked ears that are makign me insane but i didnt make any posts. This forum makes me more depressed as it seems that some here have suffered from the blocked ears for months and years! the thought of it is really scary!

Like you all, I had seen doctors and ENT specialist and taking antibiotic but they were not helping me at all. On the third week, I decided to try chinese medicine. I went to see a TCM doctor and is now in the second week taking cheinese herbal medicine. I m 80-90% recovered!

i know some of you here may not believe or have not come across TCM before but please give it a try!

remember, only see a genuine qualified TCM doctor that prescribes certified GMP chinese herbal medicine.

DON'T GIVE UP!
wow. As far as knew I thought I was just about the only person in the world with this. The first time my ears completely blocked, I was on a 13 hour flight. I didn't know if I could die or what, I spent most of the time crying in the washroom. The pain was crazy. It went away slowly over the two weeks I spent elsewhere, and then I got to do the whole thing again on the way back. Then a couple of months later, my ears blocked, this time during a weekend in the country with friends, I went wild with desperation because it was still horrible even without the crazy pain that comes with being in a plane. It went away slowly overnight. I'm a frequent flyer and doctor-prescribed nose sprays only partly help. I have a big fear that one day my ears will block and never unblock. I touch them as little as possible for now in the hopes that they don't block up forever. If they do, maybe I'll try the air thing, I  pinch my nose and blowing air up them during flights. It's true that when I blow, the gluey fluid seems to block it up more and I figure that relief comes when it slips back as well, so I also suck air in. I'm afraid if ever use an air blower thingy, when it finally blasts past the sticky **** that gets stuck at the end of the tube, it will completely blow away my ear drums. Can this happen? Also, my ears get blocked on takeoff as well as landing, does this mean anything? To all of you guys suffering from this, I send you all my positive energy, I'm going to do the breathing exercises every day for awhile and get back to you all with the results.
breathing....  you breathe every day...  doesn't seem to make much of a difference

Your ears will never completely be blocked, worse case scenerio you get a set of PET tubes in.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4688537928537095042&q=middle+ear&total=344&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

Touching your ears does make any difference.
I read with interest your comments about TCM.

I had suffered noisy ears with occasional vertigo for 10 months, one ear ringing and the other side rumbling, and was diagnosed as having Meniere's Disease by ENT specialist. I was given giddy tablets but this did not help. He suspect the cause to be due to sodium and wanted to prescribe another medication which will minimise sodium in my blood system. But I was reluctant because he said the downside is that excess extraction of the sodium can lead to low blood pressure and gout.

I have also tried TCM with accupucture for 2 - 3 months before I came to this site. The vertigo seem to be under control, but the noise problem was still as bad as before, and like what many sufferers say, it's driving me crazy.

Your TCM seems to have relevant experience in this treatment and since I am living in Singapore, I am keen to know the address of your TCM so that I can see him. I understand that posting of addresses may be prohibitted in a public forum, but I would like to request the MedHelp administrator for help to link us through our private email so that I could get the address from you.

I hope this arrangement works OK for you and MedHelp. Thanks.

Don't try compressed gas duster for air.  It states on the back that if inhaled, you could die instantly.  I am giong to try the compressed air though.  Thanks for the suggestion.
More breathing....Further to the anulom vilom  breathing technique described at the top do the Bhramri as well.
Bhramri Pranayam
Close eyes.Use both hands to close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Do this  5 times twice a day.
--
The breathing needs patience - do it everyday and you will notice benefits slowly.It works very gently and naturally and so the benefits start to be noticed after a few weeks. Some of you have tried and benefited and commented and it is nice to know.Only by doing you benefit.After you feel better, keep up the breathing exercises once a day to keep the symptoms away.

I fully sympathise with your ear problems. I had 1 episode of vertigo years ago and went to see the ENT Dr. The jr Dr didn't seem to believe me and tested me by suddenly jerking my head- I screamed my head off !!!  Luckily another Dr saw me and prescribed antibiotics and the vertigo disappeared within a week.
Actually, I forgot about reading this website 2 weeks after my posting, as up till now I haven't had that awful blocked ears return. I am still taking the 3 types of capsules , at half dose,  like maintenance as I do feel good taking them - treating them like Vitamin pills.
It's very very expensive but I do not have to boil the herbs as it's all in capsule form- called Tong Ren 103.
I don't mind your contacting me through e-mail or vice-versa if the med Help Administrator says it is ok.
Your maintenance idea of half dosage is definitely good. I was OK for three months in May till August, and was not advised on the maintenance program. I went about life normally, without a care about eating salty, fried and curry food, and going to noisy places. I remembered I over indulged in food and going to noisy places just the week before the hearing problems started again. Till today I have not been able to overcome. Regarding the e-mail, I have written to MedHelp for assistance.
Did you try it?  I went to the site but haven't tried anything yet.  Has anybody tried it?
MedHelp has replied that they do not have your full e-mail address, and have suggested that I  private message you. I have just done that thru the inbox at the top right hand side of the forum page after signing in. (I believe you should be able to read my message after you open your inbox, and reply me in private. In case this does not work, pls give MedHelp your full e-mail address so that they can help to link us. Thks.)
I too have been having this problem of blocked ears and ringing sensation since Jul 2007, can u tell me or give me contact no of TCM as I'm from Singapore too. I've tried ENT specialist and nothing has help as I'm going insane. Pls help asap
Actually I have been having this problem since Jul 2006. First ENT specialist said fluid in ears and asked me if I could live with it. 2nd ENT specialist from another hospital said unlikely to be middle ear prob and unlikely to be fluid in ears and require CT scan. Never went as I've lost hope with these ENT docs who are giving totally opposing diagnoisis. Can someone here in SINGAPORE direct me to someone who can help me.
There are so many of us in the same boat. Who knew? Saw my GP who sent me to an ENT specialist. Two things had changed in my life...I started swimming and I moved. Swimmer's ear was ruled out. Allergies? ENT wasn't too concerned until I told him about my day of vertigo that was so bad I threw up. Going for an MRI in December. Taking Nosenex in the meantime. Seems to help a bit. Good luck to all.
noisyears managed to leave his contact e-mail with Medhelp and we have corresponded.
As I mentioned , TCM  is not cheap. TCM  is more or less holistic i.e it serves to heal the whole body , not just a part. Why not ask Medhelp to let you leave a private message to me  and I'll get back to you.
I have been trying out your  two breathing techniques since your last post about 3 weeks ago. I would not be able to confirm that it helped as the noise is still there. Maybe because, I tend to be impatient, and do them crudely not with calm mind, and sometimes while taking my morning walks. But there is something which I noticed. While doing the alternate nostril breathing, the air flow in my right nostril seems to be more restrictive. This coincides with my right ear which has the hearing problem. In other words, most of the time breathing is done thru' the left nostril. ENT had checked my nose some months ago - found OK.
I am wondering whether this restrictive air flow in one nostril over a long period has caused this ear problem. And is your principle of alternate nostril breathing exercise to cure the problem based on this reason.
There may be others with similar experience or who would like to share their opinions. They are of course free to do so. Thanks.
Yes the left and right nostrils help the opposite sides(right and left) of the brain.You will understand your body much better.People will be able to explain how this works in their own words depending on what they experience.For the benefit of all I have put it all together, print it.
The daily Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) to help with ear problem are:

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Anulom Vilom - Deep Breath-in through left nostril keeping right nostril closed
and repeat this cycle for upto 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 min/day).

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing regularly you will benefit and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
--
Thank you for the comprehensive set of breathing exercise to help ear problem. I will probably start with shorter duration first to get use to it, and stretch longer when I can feel the benefit. Another symptom that I have after I have this ear problem is flatulence. Does the set of exercise also help this problem, or do you have a simple exercise that you can recommend.  Thanking you in advance.
Hi there,

I have been to the doctors 4 times about my ear in the past month, i basically go there every week and each week she says the same thing, there's liquid in my inner ear.  Shes gave me a few things to try but nothing is helping.  Now i am on nose spray once daily and a decongestant.  I am unsure if this will help as it doesnt feel better yet and i saw her on monday.  I am also going traveling in 3 days so that is why i am worried, i've felt the pain of being in flight with a sore ear before and it is not pleasnt.  my flight is 14 hours so any suggestions that could help me get through that flight or how to get this liquid out of my inner ear would be great.  Thanks!  
I have already sent an email to Medhelp but have not received any reply. Do u think its ok with you to click the link on my user name and send me a message direct. I saw yet another ENT Senior Consultant/A.Prof last weekand went thru another round of scope and hearing test. This doc told me its neither middle ear/inner ear problem but its Eustachian Tube dysfunction. He suspects its due to my sudden and fair amount of weight lost. He said there's nothing much medicine can do about my condition...blocked ears. The doc might be right but how is it that my left ear got blocked just a month and half ago? I lost about 10kg about 1.5 yrs ago and my right ears got blocked 3months after my weight lost. I've been gaining weight gradually but my ears are not improving but worsening. I've even bought a high-end Rainbow air-purifier/vacuumn cleaner to eliminate the causes of my own perceived problems - allergens as I've got a dog. Let me see if that improves my condition but please do message me contact of TCM
Wow, the responses here in the forum are incredible.  There's no way to address everything that's been brought up but i do want to say that it would be very dangerous to use compressed gas to clear your sinuses due to the closeness of the brain.

Supervision of an ENT is important for all of these suggestions
I completely agree that spraying any gas up your nose could be extremely dangerous, however what about air as mentioned above.  I have been suffering from blocked ears for over five years now and am seriously considering trying this method, after already trying almost everything else.  I have all the necessary equipment (compressor/attachment) and knowledge to attempt this, was planning on starting out at an extremely low pressure and then working my way up.  Was wondering what potential damage this could cause apart from using too much pressure and blowing out my ear drums.  I would appreciate your feedback on this or anyone else who may have some useful information.  I do not see any point in bringing this up with one of my ENT specialists because they have been fairly useless in the past and would probably just tell me not to do it.
don't even think about it.  Possible complications: perforated eardrums, dislocating your eyes, brain injury.
I've been suffering a year and half with deep ear pain, burning, pressure, blocked eustation tube, ringing in left ear, sensative to cold. I have bad allergies also. Every doctor, and there have been many, state my ear is fine. MRI show fine.  My ear is killing me with chronic pain.  Also have chronic swollen saliva glands under chin.  House Ear Clinic in LA and 2 Ent's say it is a nerve.  I'm going to a pain clinic this week, can not stand pain anymore.  Has anyone been diagnosed with nerve?  I have tried all allergy, steriod, and antibotics.  Antibotics and steriods worked in beginning, but not any longer. I bought a high-end air purifer, but no relief.  Maybe I will try TCM again.  I feel for all of you that are suffering.  It's miserable.

JR37
TCM and acupuncture help many patients of mine.  My own dad, an allergist went to China to train in TCM and found it helpful for his patients.

If 3 ENTs have said they can't operate to improve your pain, that's pretty reassuring since they're typically eager to operate.

Good luck with the pain clinic.
Hi, well my problem all started off as a reallly bad cold, and i was on mutlple planes in one week on a trip in italy. But my ears never blocked on the plane then one day we were went up mount etna and on the way down my ears blocked up really bad. Then all day i had been trying to pop them and nothing would happen. Later that night I had to take a ride to another city and it must of been at a much higher elevation because my ears blocked so bad that I had so much pressure in my head that I literrally thought my head could of popped, and honeslty that would of felt better if it did compared to the pain i felt. I went to three doctors and all they said it all these different nasal sprays as well as sudafed just like the rest of you guys. This was over a year ago and still today I suffer from blocked ears and I think it is effecting my hearing. I dont hear as well as i useto. Not to mention i feel like I have had severe allergy problems ever since. Does anyone have any real solution!!!!!!! PLEASEEE!!!
Thanks for that it sounds to risky to use the compressor so I won't try it.  I guess TCM is the only thing left that might help me but I will have to save up for it first.  It is a real pain that in this day and age modern medicine cannot help with something that seems as simple as blocked ears.
You are all trying modern medicine without success - why not try the ancient method of breathing as suggested in my post. You will know in days how it works, but only by trying.
Try for a few days and if you are happy, carry on and report here.  There  is no cost.
glad you won't.

modern medicine can.  ask for nasal steroids, and try over the counter nasal saline rinse.
blocked eustachian tubes can be from allergies which can improve with nasal steroids and nasal saline lavage
Do you know how long that could take by using all the nasal sprays? Because Iv'e used them for months and nothing changed. So i got fed up, now I just use a daily nasal spray for allergies and the doctor said eventully it will work. But Im really gettin frustrated and I feel like nothing is working anyways.
I have tried nasal sprays, anti-inflammatories, and several other drugs with no good results.  In fact at times they have actually made things worse especially with the ringing volume [would appreciate some more information on nasal steroids and potential side effects].  As for the breathing techniques, I have tried them and yes at times they have helped to relieve some of the pressure, then again at other times it's made it worse.  Also it is very difficult to do these techniques every day when at least one of my nostrils is blocked 80% of the time.  I should also add that my blocked nose and ears is not because I am sick.  For the last month I've been extremely careful with what I have been eating and if anything my ears have been feeling worse, which makes me stress and therefore making it even worse again.  I appreciate your comments and advise and hope that one of them will help me one-day.
I have had blocked ears on and off - usually when I get a cold, but again, they usually go away.  But I had a chest infection 2 months ago, which gave me blocked ears.  That check infection has gone, but my blocked ears hasn't.  Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it is really irritating! I think it was made worse with a lot of trips as well in the last 2 weeks.  They sort of feel like they're going to pop, but my ears seem to click whenever i swallow or try to make them pop.  All dr's I have seen tell me it'll go away eventually, but how long should this sort of thing last for? It really is annoying, and affects everything! I can't even have the windows wound down in the car, because that makes it worse :(
If you've tried nasal steroid sprays for months without improvement, i'd wonder if you should be using a different brand?  or possibly oral steroids?
nasal steroids are relatively side effect free, except for sometimes causing nosebleed if the steroids thin the skin in the middle (the septum).  you can avoid this by spraying away from the middle.

it can last a long time, and steroids can take weeks to take effect.  see your doctor if it's not getting better.
2 months of blocked ears with worsening with air flights in the last 2 weeks sounds like eustachian tube dysfunction.  See your doctor and ask for nasal steroids.
I had the blocked ears for three weeks.  I didn't even have a cold and all of the sudden, it felt like I had a knot in my right ear.  It kept getting worse and progressed to my left ear.  The pressure was unbearable. My regular doctor prescribed a nasal steroid.  It didn't work.  I went to the Urgent Care clinic to get a second opinion.  He suggested sudafed during the day and benadryll at night.  That didn't work either.  I went back to the Urgent Care (everytime you go you end up seeing a different doctor).  Of course he said my ears looked good and there was no infection, the same as the other two doctors but he suggested keeping the house at 72 degrees, two steaming hot bath/showers per day, a warm air vaporizer in the bedroom at night,  drinking only warm fluids and trying to get as much rest as possible.  After the 1st day of trying his suggestions, I felt 50% better.  It's taken a about a week but I almost feel back to normal.  
I'm glad you almost feel back to normal, those medicines take some time to take effect, and it sounds like they finally kicked in.
I am a Flight Attendant on Private Jets (not commercial airlines).  I am suffering BAD from blocked ears especially the right one...decades ago I had TMJ surgery on the right side only. I sometimes "clench" at night from stress. Anyway, I tried the Neti Pot thinking it would be just the miracle I needed.  Thinks went from bad to worse. I ears especially the right one, is completely blocked, I feel lethargic, dizzy, weak, can't hear out of it. Bright sunlight and loud noises bother me allot.  I keep thinking the "Neti pot" will eventually work but the fluid seems to go into my eras instead of draining out the other nostril. I do the suggested yoga stances to help after using Neti pot like bend over and touch opposite foot with opposite hand and hold.  I do feel movement of fluid after doing that, the fluid drips out of my nose like a leaky faucet. I am tilting my head enough. I am always pinching nose and blowing to try and blow out the blockage I hear and feel the high pitch squeaking, squealing and popping but no relief .  Am I making things worse??? I have NO health insurance, so Rx and Doctors are out of the question. Please send HELP......Thank you.....
Have you tried hypertonic saline nasal sprays?  I used to have badly blocked ears and sinus drainage that bothered me all winter.  But using a hypertonic saline spray at least twice a day (often more) has helped enormously.  Try it--it can't hurt.  The Ayr hypertonic saline spray is about $8.
Good luck!
If your ears are chronically blocked[long term], and nothing helps...it's probably TMJ. Botox injections and a dental brace...
Found this site today and it helped saved my sanity - I thought I was alone with this issue.  My story is very similar to most of yours . . .

Have had the blocked ears for over 6 months now.  In the Fall it was an inconvenience - using the various 'unblocking' techniques I could clear my ears but they simply blocked again within a few hours.  By February they were continually blocked with pain in the right ear and pressure on the entire right side of my head.

Primary care physician referred me to ENT specialist.  He prescribed the Neti Pot (which I already had and used) along with a steriod spray - no improvement.  Have had 2 MRI/MRA tests - with and without contrast.  Good news is that the results were negative for tumors - bad news is that I still have the problem and no diagnosis. And I am now getting the squeeky noises!!

ENT sent me to a physical therapist for cranio sachral therapy, which previously helped my back pain. Initial visit indicated that the spinal fluid flow is terribly blocked.  Felt worse after the first session but this is to be expected.  Hopefully the next ones will help.  In the meantime I am scheduled for an ENG test since vertigo has become an intermittant issue.

I am currently out of work on short-term disability - the stress of dealing with the pain and pressure for six months is taking its toll on my personal and professional life.  Just knowing that I am not alone has been a great psychological boost, though.  Will try the breathing techniques and report back on the results of those as well as the cranio.

Warm regards to all -
Unbelievable! Im a 31 yr old male and it looks like im in the same boat as many of you in this forum.

Ive had blocked ears (left worse) for 16 months now. Started after a bout of flu. I have now had 10 different medical appointments and i'm still no better. Ive had my wisdom tooth removed (related to the ear sinus), seen 2 specialist doctors, 2 different ENT's, 1 MRI scan, 1 CT scan and an audiologist. Ive tried the nasal sprays and nasal steroids but they havent helped. The general conclusion from the ENT's have been that my ears and hearing are in perfect condition however that feeling of fullness in the head and the need to open the mouth to 'pop' the ears continues. My balance has also been effected. Im a surfski paddler and i now fall out often and always to my left which relates to the left ear being worse.

Ive always been a strong healthy person and ive just dealt with my ear problem and carried on with life but like it or not, it is now starting to effect me psycologically. The last ENT i saw wants to put grommits in my ears to ventilate the ear sinus, but im not keen on this idea. Im now open it any suggestions - Stress effects, anxiety, homeopathy, diet??

Good luck to all those with the 'ear' problem. Im sure there is a solution out there, we now just need it posted on this site.

Regards Stephen.
I'm 22. i've had a similar problem since i was about 16. it all started with a mega ear infection.

It took about 2 years before i had my fist micro-suction appointment with an ent nurse. That 2 years left me very deaf! We all know that being deaf is not nice, it seems to create a social barrier and I dont like it!

The micro suction does do the job though, temporarily, so I go about once every month and thanks to the NHS its free.

My ears are blocked at the moment however because I havent been for a while. My own fault, I missed an appointment so they struck me off the list!

IMPORTANT ADVICE:

1. Keep them dry whilst you shower (use cotton wool and vaseline as a plug - making sure your hands are hygenic before you do that) . And if you must have a bath keep your head above water.
and;
2. Never touch them. Resist all urges to prod them or stick anything down them.

Since I started following those two simple pieces of advice my ears have taken longer to re-block after micro-suction and have felt much much healthier. Also the cotton wool-vaseline combo once a day serves to clean your ears too..in a doctor approved way!

I'm sorry if that info is common knowledge, just thought i'd share.

I've been told I have Chronic Otitis Externa, but when I have reasearched this I'm not so sure. I think my problem is a combination of excema within the ear, narrow ear cannals, and an over-active propensity to create ear wax.

All of this makes me very much appreciate my hearing!
my daughter in law has had blocked ears for 4 years, had 2 sets of tubes in her ears, lots of doc appointments, with no releaf.  she is constantly dizzy and now cannot drive. she has 5 kids to care for and is always sick. I guess this problem is more common than we knew. her dr said that actually, her ears are not blocked, but the tubes are constantly open and filled with air, they don't open and close as they should, they stay open and air filled all the time. I hope we can find a way to help her soon.
CAT
I've been reading your comments for a month as I battled a blocked ear and ringing. 3 doctors, the dentist and Chinese medicine haven't helped but I saw a physiotherapist yesterday who thinks it's Temporo-Mandibular Disorder. Worth you guys investigating, especially those that aren't linked to sinus / ear infections.
The solution to ear problems is detailed in my posting of Nov 8th, 2007.
Follow  the breathing techniques and you will start to see improvements within 4 months.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.Build up your timing gradually and be patient.
Post your progress here, so others may benefit.
Hi all, I've got my own history with this -- recurrent ear infections and sinus problems as a child, then adulthood Bell's Palsy (facial paralysis) twice, once on each side. The first time was a total mystery, but the second time was preceded by an unexplainable feeling of blockage for a couple of days, like a swimmer's ear that just wouldn't pop, followed by an excruciating pain which drove me to the doctor. While he tried out different antibiotics on me -- the 5th one finally seemed to work -- the affected side of the face went dead. I underwent a mastoidectomy to relieve pressure on the facial nerve, then months of recovery. I got about 80-90% recovery of facial nerve function after each bout with Bell's Palsy, but lost a considerable amount of my (already bad) hearing after that second bout.

I just returned from Europe, where I hiked around at various elevations up to 2,200 meters and then made a two-flight return home, all with a horrible sinus infection. So you can imagine why I was desperate to find help online this morning!

Anyway, here's what little I have learned over the past couple of decades and the past few minutes that might help:
(1) Live healthy. Bad lifestyle habits that drag down your resistance set you up for these problems. My wife smokes a pack a day, never has a problem (go figure), but on the two or three times a year that I indulge in a cigar, sinus and ear problems are sure to follow. When you think about it, you are filling all those spaces in your head with particles of burnt leaves, and no thorough way to wash them back out afterward. This is what triggered my current sinus infection.
(2) If you have an infection, get on the antibiotics quickly. I can always tell by the color and viscosity of the gunk I'm blowing out my nose. Fortunately, a fellow traveler offered me Zithro that she hadn't even begun using, so I am able to take the whole Z-pac, even over a holiday weekend, instead of waiting to become enraged by playing automated telephone system hell with my doctor's office on Monday at 9:30.
(3) Keep your ears out of the water. Clean them gently when necessary with Q-tips, otherwise leave them alone.
(4) The "scuba breathing" exercise some people are describing in this forum needs to be fine-tuned a little: You need to close off not just the nostrils (with the thumb and forefinger of one hand), but also the UNaffected ear (with the other hand), and your throat muscles. So when you blow, the air is pretty much forced to go through the affected ear. I just discovered this on another forum a few minutes ago, tried it, and got at least partial relief for the first time in days.

I hope this helps someone.
Hi, I have many similar symptoms but I also hear harmonics or weird notes when I or other people talk/play music/ make noise. Reading this can be depressing! But I'm assuming most of you consider your ears to be blocked with mucus? There are loads of websites that deal with "mucus-decreasing foods" which recommend you pretty much can't eat anything - but how about cutting dairy products out of your diet? Also, drink water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice (from a lemon - not a bottle).

The yoga breathing has helped me thanks hava!

good luck - don't give up!
HI, I haven't read all your comments but I've been having the same problem in one ear for almost a year. I've been to 2 ENT's and referred to a Neurotologist - they are few and far between - I travel 1 1/2 hours to get to one - but he only deals with ears, dizziness, balance, etc. My first ENT burst my eardrum by irrigating at a very high pressure and since then I've acquired a fungus infection as a result of too many antibiotics. It's really stubborn - he's been  treating it with Gentian Violet - he doesn't want to use anything stronger til the eardrum heals. He says he has one other patient with the same stubborn problem. The fact that he's so sympathetic really helps - he knows the discomfort I'm in and doesn't patronize me. If you still don't have results with an ENT I'd suggest a neurotologist in your area. Good luck, it's a miserable feeling, I know.
Try breathing exercise as per Hava's instructions.  My ears are usually blocked when I'm in bed but goes away in the morning but for some reason it was worse last night and wouldn't go away so I got out of bed and came across this forum.  I tried the exercise while reading all your posts and it helped.  Hope it lasts.  I thought I would go insane but thank GOD it's all clear now.  I wish this would work for all you guys.  I really do.  It's just strange that all these ENTs can't seem to find a solution.  Does this happen in the right ear for everyone?? It seems so 'cause mine was in the right ear.  I don't know if the breathing  exercise will help while I'm in bed.  Hope it does.  
  My right ear was blocked most of my life but in February it moved on to vertigo, spinning, vomiting, tinnitus, brain fog; and 7 doctors and one ENT and all their test did nothing for me.  The first doc said to take antivert and steroid nasal spray and drink water and pinch my nose and swallow and when my ears started clicking I would get better.  He was right about the clicking.  When my ears click I get better within minutes.  I stopped the useless antivert and nasal spray months ago.  

I could barely live until a mediquick doc flushed out my ear and it started clicking so I started flushing out my ear myself.  I have to flush out the right ear twice a day and the left ear about once a week.  I have been breathing in my nose and out my mouth and that extends the time between ear flushings.

I like the looks of the yoga breath exercises so I googled for written instructions and video instructions.  So far I have done the Kapalbhati, it was very hard for me to follow instructions but actually very simple to do.  I have great expectations from these breath exercises.

PS.  I had a runny nose all my life but the nasal spray dried up my sinuses so well that not a drop came from my nose for month, and this is what I suspect brought on my vertigo.  I now use saline spray in the mornings and clean out a ton of congestion.
Do the kapalbhati and anulom vilom  for 30 minutes each, twice a day and you will notice the benefits over weeks.Build up the timing gradually.
I have described the yog pranayam in my posting dated Nov 8th, 2007.
It is the duration of the breathing which really energises the body cells.
  yesterday I learned to do Kapalbhati and Anulom vilom and it was ok but when I woke up this morning I did them and they amounted to an excellent way of blowing the nose and congestion out of the head.  I think it is a natural way to blow the nose and should be taught to toddlers as basic health.
  And just doing it for a few minutes did clear my ears up for a little while.  Now, I will get serious about it.
   Between salt water nasal spray and your yoga breathing, my life time of runny nose may be over.  I still have to flush my ear to get rid of vertigo but it has been two days now since I had to flush.

I also learned that after flushing the ear I must lay the ear down on a heating pad for about 10 minutes to dry out the water or it can cause a problem.

I can tell when my ear is clear because it clicks and many a time today it stopped clicking until I did the yoga breaths.

I have been trying the breathing exercises and they seem to be helping.  I hadnt noticed that my one nostril was also slightly blocked until trying the exercises.  

I have also tried adding a teaspoonful of salt to a glass of boiling water and using a teaspoon putting the cooled mixture into the nostrils.  It has been amazing and really helped
  Thank you, thank you.

You have done what 7 doctors and one ENT couldn't do.  You have shown me how to clear my ears and stop my vertigo.

Sick for nine months and all I needed was to know the proper way to clear my nose.
I have to use saline nasal spray in the morings to clear my sinuses up enough to do the breathing exercises.

I can forget about flushing my ears.

Very pleased to see your progress.
Continue pranayam-breathing exercises for rest of life and you will get to know your body, and notice more and more benefits, mentally and physically.
My left ear stays completely blocked. I do get some popping sounds in my right occasionally. A lot of times I can hear my heart beating in my left ear. I also have severe sleep apnea. I would stop breathing 94 times an hour. But I now use a cpap machine every night. I have an appt with my ENT next week. I saw the ENT years ago and he performed sinus surgery which helped for years. Now its back. My left ear never pops open. I have visited the ENT twice already. The first time I requested a tube, the Doc was surprised not much fluid came out when he inserted the tube. I still have it in today. The second time was a follow up visit. Hearing tests were performed every visit. Loss of hearing was evident. I had these issues before the Cpap machine so we ruled that out. My sleep doctor did recommend a sinus rinse called NeilMed. Anyone ever use it? The first caution was do not use if you have blocked ears. I will give the breathing exercise a try. Hopefully my ENT can help me out the next visit, but after reading a lot of posts on here, I hope I am not wasting my time. Thanks for the info some have posted. I was not aware of so many things can affect the ears.

It is tiring saying HUH all the time from the hearing loss. Everybody tells me I need a hearing aid. If I lay on my right ear, I can barely hear out my left. It is annoying.
i have the same blocked ear problem   It is torture. if this can't be fixed, i will commit suicide.

on a brighter note, i have found a doc who says he can help me:
dr jordan Josephson. in ny.

some of you make have a nose problem that's affecting your ears that isn't indicated to most docs with conventional tests.

You may need surgery with a doc who understands the somewhat controversial relation between not being bale to breathe well and ear pressure.

i am having surgery to fix this problem with dr jordan josephson
http://****.*** you might want to meet with him

if anyone has been able to fix their problem please comment here
   Now I take a plastic bowl to the shower in the mornings and add some salt at the bottom and fill it with hot shower water.

I put my face in the bowl and in hale through the nose until I feel the water in my throat.  I don't want to drink saltwater so I stop there.  After I finish the shower I do the Yoga breathing exercises.

Many times I thought I had cured the vertigo but it always comes back.
    Most doctors give a vertigo patient antivert and valium well 7 doctors and one ENT didn't give me valium.  I even asked for it from the ENT and one other doc but they refused.

Last night I took a valium and my ears stopped ringing within ten minutes.  I woke up at 4am and took another valium plus an Antivert.
Now I have no more Valium.  This morning my ears ring a very little.

If this is what I needed all along I am going to be pissed at the doctors for making me suffer for so long.

Also I have been having to flush my ears about every 3 days to keep from getting falling down sick.  The docs tell me not to do that. I feel like it is a conspiracy to punish me because I dropped Humana  and refused to allow them to treat my prostate cancer.

For 2 years they have wanted to do a $23,000 treatment for prostate cancer for which I have no symptoms and a PSA of 4.2.

The treatment looks like medieval torture, I won't let them do that to my body.
  I found a couple more valium and decided to take a valium and an antivert before going to bed.  Well in less than 10 minutes both ears were clear. I was standing up when big gobs of goo came running out of both eustachian tubes.  When it was over I could feel air flowing in my Eustachian tubes when I breathed.  I did still feel dizzy but that could have been from the valium.  This is the first time in 10 months that my ears have been clear.

Valium and antivert is the standard treatment for vertigo yet every doctor refused me Valium.

Having my ears stopped up has been a maddening trip for nearly a year and two pills cleared it up in less than 10 minutes.  This is something no doctor would tell me and I couldn't find it on the internet.
    Before the vertigo my doctors wrote that I was a very uncooperative for not taking statin drugs and refusing cancer treatment.  I wonder if he was punishing me by not curing my vertigo or if he just didn't know any better.
   The valium and antivert (Dramamine) clears my head and keeps the vertigo away but I don't want to take valium everyday, so today eventho my head and ears were clear I took an antivert only and had my breakfast.  About 30 minutes later I sneezed three times and I wondered if sneezing was natures way of clearing out congestion so I laid on my back on a pillow with my head hanging down and also did the yoga breathing and I cleared 50 times more ear congestion than I got from the ear flushing only and just as much as I would get from valium and antivert treatment.
You are noticing the benefits of the pranayam (yog breathing exercises). It will also keep your PSA under control. Over time your immune system will get better and better. You can do pranayam twice a day to fight any health condition.
  Now I get great benefits from Pranayam and make it a part of my daily routine but it is only one tool of many.

After being very very sick for 10 months the only thing that could clear out the mother load from my inner ear was valium and antivert at the same time but now that it is gone I can drain my ears just by lying on my back on a pillow with my head hanging down and making little pig noises as I suck the fluid out of my ears.  My ears start clicking but I continue to suck until nothing comes out.

You can't know how wonderful it is to be well after battling vertigo for 10 months.  I only survived by putting warm drops in my ears and doing the sucking action for an hour or so and flushing my ears and doing yoga breathing.  That made me healthy for a few hours or a few days until the main fluid load in my inner ears dropped something to block my eustachian tubes again.

During the day I do the yoga breathing more than anything else to keep my ears clear.

Last night I went to a new years party and I danced like an animal until 1am and went to bed feeling good and woke up this morning feeling good except for a little bit of a hangover.

Dizzy? Vertigo? Gone.  Ears still ring a little but I hear fine.

any one of the 6 doctors and one ENT could have cured me with valium but not one would give me valium and when I told one of the I used valium to get well he reminded me it was a felony to use someone elses drugs.  Was he happy that I was well? no.  He was telling me that I might have commited a serious crime.
   Now I am inclined to mistrust and fear doctors but at the same time I know I need them.  They totally let me down on this one.
Hi, I also am having problems with blocked ears, when I wake up in the morning they are unblocked, but after about 1/2 hour they start to block up and can remain blocked for most of the day. I can hear my self breathing, my heart beating and hear myself talking like I was in a tin can when I speak. This started in October out of the blue with nothing precipitating it! I saw my primary who recommened Clartin which did nothing and then spoke to  my plumonary doctor who suggested sudafed and this did nothing. So I went to see my old ENT and he did a hearing test that was normal, sounded muffled but I could make out the tones as well as a test to check for fluid and there was none. Then he looked in my ears, they were clear and in my nose with a little scope and said I had an infection with pus(not sure I believe this) and put me on two weeks of Levaquin that did nothing to change my ears or make me feel any different as well as recommended a nasal rinse of salt, brown sugar and water that I was suppose to squeeze in my nose with a baby nasal syringe. This did nothing and actaully seem to make my left ear worse because it came out so forcefully. I went back for a follow up and said there was nothing he could do except put tube in my ears and I thought to myself no thanks, there must be another answer. I have several medcial problems I am dealing with that give me enough grief I was diagnosed with Follicular and Obstructive Bronchiolitis in August and have  Crohn's, Ankylosing Spondilitis, RA and sinusitis with constant thick drainage down the back of my throat for many years and this ear problem is the last thing that I need. Later in the day my symptoms are better and when I bend over or lay down my ears unblock, weird? Is there any chance that this thick muscous that drains down my throat would have anything to do with my ears? It's comforting to know I am not alone in this and will definetly try the breathing exercises. If anyone else has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck to all. Jeanie
I am 30 years old and suffer from the childhood illness glue ear. Nothing works to clear them.  Without tubes my ears become blocked and I cannot hear well and get throbing noises in my ears, ringing in my head and everything is muffled. It is caused when the eustation tube becomes blocked this  stops the air getting into the ears, Instead the ears fill with mucas. After having the tubes fitted the problem is cured straight away and the operation isnt painful afterwards. The tubes are air ventilation tubes inserted into the ear drum instead of the eustation tube ventilating them. The reason the hearing goes down when the ear is blocked is because the sound conducted through the air in the middle ear. The tubes create a small hole in the eardrum and keep them the open so the air can pass through. these tubes usually stay in for 5 years then fall out on their own. In my case they fall out my ears block again so I have the tubes replaced every 5 years. This is rare in an adult but in many cases if the tubes are inserted and mucas drained it may never happen again. It could just be a one off. If nothing else works I would consider the tubes, it is done in day case and is not painful. Your problems will be corrected immediately and you will be able to hear.
   The doc says your ears have no fluid in them but he wants to put in a drain tube, that means there is fluid in your ears.  I suffered vertigo with stopped up ears for 10 months.  After 3 months I took the sudifed  that you have to sign for because druggies make meth with it.  It opened my Eustachian tubes enough that I could suck out the ear glue, it came out like a string of sticky yarn and would clump up in my throat until I swallowed it. It was 3 hours on one ear and 2 hours on the other ear but it still didn't help my vertigo.
     The docs told me that my vertigo would go away when my ears cleared up. But they only gave me antivert and nasonex.  I requested valium as it ended vertigo for many of my friends when the docs wouldn't give me valium I went to the street and got some.  One valium and one antivert at the same time drained my middle ears of great gobs of gunk in about 10 minutes and my ears became clear. I still take it when nothing else will open my ears.  The tubes are for the same purpose.  

Heating up saline spray and lying on your back on a pillow with your head hanging down, you put in just enough spray in the nose to reach the throat and that helps clear the ears.  I make a pig like noise and sucking action in my throat and it ***** out the fluid from the middle ear.  Since I used the valium and antivert I only get small amounts of fluid.  This has cleared my life time of sinus trouble and my 10 months of vertigo.

I believe the nasonex was the cause of my vertigo because it dried up my sinuses so well that for months my nose never dripped and I never sneezed once.  That seems like a good thing but it is a bad thing because it doesn't allow nature to flush out your sinuses and ears.

There is also yoga breathing exercises that help clear up the ears as explained in earlier post.
Hey,
People i got tinnitus at the age of 21 at a Zebra show in a small bar the guitar was so loud it felt like a knife had just gone through both my ears once they healed the ringing stayed familiar story probably right? I learned to live with this after a huge struggle but then at the age of 27 i needed polyp surgery on my left sinus because i could not breath and the steroids they gave me could not shrink it. After this surgery the pressure i had in my ears was unbelievable, unbearable i went back to the doctor that did the surgery he looked in my ears and said nothing was wrong after almost checking out i saw another doctor that saved my life by putting tubes in my ears this helped a great deal but did not completely take away the popping and cracklin noises learned to live with it the last 12 years and had numerous tubes in and out of my ears. Now i have had a permanent hole in my right ear and a new tube in the left. The right ear has been great for about a year and a 1/2 with know tube because of the permanent hole but now i am getting a pulsating swooshing noise out of it constantly Doc says the ear is fine gave me some drops not helping any ideas.. Just had kidney stones also any link between kidney function and hearing?Dysfunctional estacion tubes is a freakin nightmare and i understand how frustrated you all must feel i would also like to find a support group on long island with younger people that have tinnitus and or dysfunctional estacion tubes.
   I made post after post saying I had to flush my ears to stop my vertigo.  Well, I learned the reason.   When I took a shower I would get water in my ears and my vertigo would start again unless I flushed my ears.

Ear plugs,  Now I insert ear plugs in until my ears are stopped up, that is the only way to keep the water out.

Now I don't have vertigo and I don't have to flush my ears.  yippe!  After one year I think I am free to live a normal life again.
hi there. ive been suffering from chronic ear blocking in my left ear for what seems like ages( a couple months). i am a personal trainer.i stumbled upon a cure. ive tried all the meds, and they DO work...but very slowly. there is only one way i can unblock my ears and it works every time(well ive tried it a few times). you will get immediate relief, but it requires some physical exertion. if you are reading this then you will be prepared to try anything,i reckon.ok.get yourself to the gym.see a trainer and be shown two exercises.they are the LEG PRESS and the LYING TRICEP EXTENSION (otherwise called the french press).now complete atleast six sets of about six to twelve repetitions of either exercise. you will probably not have to do both. train Very Hard.when you do this you will feel tremendous pressure in your face and head. some people even get headaches from the Leg Press.(very common).this pressure clears your sinuses like you would not believe. you can even feel your sinuses getting pressurised. amazing! extra bonus is you get to train your legs and triceps, so you ll get toned up.just had to share this with you all,cause i know how blocked ears just *****!