Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Can a maxillary retention cyst burst?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can a maxillary retention cyst burst?

A little background:
I have recently had an MRI for severe headaches/migraines by my Neurologist which came back normal except for a 3.4 cm maxillary cyst on my right side. My Neuro said it was nothing and it wouldn't be causing my headaches. I went to my GP who said the same thing. I asked to be referred to an ENT and he said the exact same thing but wanted me to have a ct scan for a better view. I'm awaiting the results now. I asked the radiologist if she saw the cyst and she said, "yes, it is big! Are you having it removed?" I said I didn't know yet.

Now to the question:
Last night I started having strange (foul) tasting mucous running down the back of my throat on the right side and everytime I breath in I can smell the foul smell but mainly through just the right nasal cavity. Is it possible the cyst has ruptured and will go away on its own? I have read many posts on here about these cysts but I haven't seen anything about the possiblilty of one doing this. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mystree