Can eye drops get into your sinuses?
Hi, I've noticed ever since I got new eyedrops that every time I put them in (especially if I tilt my head back for a minute to let it absorb), a little while later I get a chemical-tasting post nasal drip.  I just keep snorting and swallowing to get rid of it, but I'm worried that I might be ingesting the eye drops this way.  Is that possible?
I found this on eugeneeyecare.com:

"The tears in your eyes drain into a small opening located on the inside corner of your upper and lower eyelids. From there, they drain into the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) which drains into the back of your nose and throat. That's why your nose runs when you cry!"

Sounds like your eye drops could indeed be draining a bit into your nose and throat.  I also found this on another random site:

"You may get a taste of eye drops in your mouth, or a feeling that the drops are running down your throat. This is normal as the tear duct which drains tears to your nose will also drain some of the eye drop."

Doesn't sound like anything you have to worry about; it's quite normal and expected.
wow thank you for your fast answer!  I couldn't find anything online about it!
tmv
Hi there. Yes, your tear ducts actually drain into your sinuses. You can stop most of this this way:   after applying the drops, press your finger into the inner corner of your eyes and hold for a couple minutes. This will prevent it from coming straight down the ducts and be on your eye to help more. Best wishes. tmv
I have glaucoma. I use eye several eye drops several times daily. They drain into my sinuses and I also taste them. I suffer from vedropry painful sinus infections. The information that tells me to press the inner corners of my eyes is very helpful. I wish I could get the surgery and never have to drop my eyes again. I also don't want to sit in smoke. I know I will be ok. I never want to go completely blind.