Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Can hear heartbeat "swooshing" in my left ear only...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello! This all started about 8-10 months ago. I never had this issue at any time in my life before that. I can hear my heartbeat in my left ear. It is a very quiet swooshing sound and I can only hear it when everything is quiet around me. It's just really annoying! I did some research and came up with a conclusion that it could be pulsetile tinnitus (sp?). But does tinnitus just appear out of nowhere all of a sudden in the middle of my life? I am 29 years old now.
Avatar dr f tn
A complete ear examination is necessary for determining the correct cause of your symptoms. It is possible that you are suffering from pulsatile tinnitus. Pulsatile tinnitus can be due to a change in blood flow in the vessels near the ear or to a change in awareness of that blood flow. Strenuous exercise , pregnancy and conditions like severe anemia or hyperthyroidism can cause increased blood flow throughout the body .Conductive hearing loss, benign intracranial hypertension are few other causes of pulsatile tinnitus. A clinical examination, hearing tests and Doppler to check blood flow may be helpful. See an ENT specialist. Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!