Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Can u pull a throat muscle?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Can u pull a throat muscle?

Okay, so I got diagnosed with Allergies in  October, and after 3 sinus infections 2 eye infections and the flu, the only other lingering thing I had going on was this tightness in my throat.  So my allergist sent me to an ENT becasue I was also experiencing persistent hoarseness which I guess is not common in allergy patients.  Well the ENT just gave me nexium and said my throat was inflammed due to acid reflux. However, I relized today that my whole neck and throat area hurts after I eat.  I try not to eat fast so I'm thinking that I pulled a muscle in my neck as....I have also been singing since Oct (took a month break).  However, when I sing I'm not in pain...but like talking and eating...makes my throat area more sore throughout the day which tells me that I am at least singing from the right place.  Anywho, I had to put an ice pack on it last night. Is a pulled thorat muscle possible with someone who has acid reflux and sings? Any ideas?
It is possible to pull the muscle. I had a very bad cough and pulled my throat muscles as a result. Since it is difficult to rest the muscle it takes longer than normal to heal. I hope you feel better soon.
my friend Frank pulled a muscle in his throat. I have never heard of that and thought he was making it up. I am glad there is a forum where he can ask questions and get the support he needs.  Frank said he pulled the muscle Yawning,  Sounds like a lie.... what type of dofus does that?  he was probably having a hot dog eating race with his freind Sparky. Anyway, what treatments have you found work for a pulled throat muscle? ice cream? accupuncture? movie night?
when i pull my tongue into my mouth, backwards, (trying to get it flat and back near my back teeth) my ears and throat really hurt. what does that mean?
hey just found this and it sounded a bit similar to what am experienceing now. for a while now ive been feelin pain under my jaw and throat and remember that the previous night well i was laughin there was big shoot of pain up the sides of my neck that went away and then a couple of nights later i had pain in my throat and jaw. i also found that my the gland on my left side (of my neck) is a bit swollen it hasnt gotten bigger int he past 24 hours and i can move it if i want and doesnt hurt to move but i can feel it when i think about. the pain wasnt awful but more annoying sort of unavoidable.  do you think that i could have pulled my throat muscle? if you have any answers that will be great am a bit of a werido when it comes to pain i cant figure out. oh and am 19 if that means anything lol.

oh and also i suffer from aniexty and i tend to grind my teeth when am panicing which i think has been the cause of pain in my jaw under my ear. could this be a reason for the other pain?
Well... the muscle that I pulled is located between my collar bone and the bottom of my neck (throat). I pulled the muscle trying to open my mouth to bite a Hot Dog. It's weird because as the day goes on my muscle in my throat becomes weaker which makes it harder to swallow food. I 've had this for around three weeks and it doess't  seem to be going away. Not sure what to do, I'll probably go see a doctor.
recently i pulled the muscles in my throat from hyperventilating, and is wondering if anyone knows anything that can help. It's been getting worse to were i can not eat
I am experiencing the same type of thing. a dull pain under my jaw and in my neck on the left side. I am also a singer and possibly have strained something, and I also grind my teeth at night. I am also thinking that my awful bed and pillow may have something to do with it, it seems i am always cranking my neck around in weird ways. it feels to me like a strained muscle in the throat and not actually on the interior of the throat (like an infection or something similar). could possibly be related to allergies maybe? if anyone has any thoughts please share I am trying to narrow down what this is so I can make some changes to correct it.
hi.. did ur friend recover from this.. because 6months ago i yawned n felt like i tore a muscle on the left side of throat.. no i seem to tlk with the right side of my mouth.. when i swallow i also feel  a lump..  i hope ur friend recoverd cus this is horrible
Batlife: I also pulkled my throat Muscle about 4 months ago, when I stretched my head up to adjust my pillow.

For a while it seemed like when I swallowed, I only felt it on the left side of my throat.

After about a week, I realized it was just my imagination.

I think it's just placebo
Yesterday I yawned and it felt like my mouth was stuck a bit.  I decided to really open wide and let the air in for the yawn.  I felt and heard what sounded like a tear.  It hurt and was pretty loud to me.  I thought maybe I would have blood in my mouth or something.  Still not a sign of anything other than half of my throat feels like it has a bigger opening in it.  Crazy for sure but very strange.  Not sure if I should see a doctor or wait and see what happens.  Any ideas out there?
think the same thing happened to me.. it felt like 2much air went in through th eleft side of my neck.. now the left side of neck feels loose n congested n i have trouble speaking..  n feel pain in my ear .. ask me any questions on it if u have any
well.. na man.. i have a loose muscle in the left side of my neck.. 2 nuerologists felt it n acknowledged it.. one was so surprised he took a video of me with his iphone to show it 2 his boss.. my mom wen 2 medical school n sees it also.. now i favor the right side of mouth when speaking.. also somethings always rubbing in there
Well here is my first experience with similar symptoms, I have had a terrible cold since end of February that advanced to Bronchitis and everyone I talk to here has had it, I hardly ever get sick, but boy this hit me, I never have the flu, I even had to go to emergency with this one.
So about a week ago after six weeks of this, my throat is still sore, and I thought I had mumps, as my exterior throat/side of my neck from the bottom of my ear down to the middle of my throat, was so sore I went to the Dr. and she told me I had pulled a muscle, and try not to cough.
Good luck on that one, still, so I knew about this product that helps inflamation (inflammation) and asked what she thought, she said take anything you want thats natural for sure. So I gargled and took a few ounces, a couple times a day for a couple days, And problem solved, its gone, Now that seems to me to be pretty fast healing, So I don't know how long this syptom (symptom) would last normnally, or long others have it, but two days is pretty amazing to me. If you want to try it out and get a bottle
look up sonoranbloom
I, too, have pain in my throat that feels like a sore muscle.  It radiates into my middle chest and back.  Actually, I'm not sure if it originates in my chest/back or in the throat. I also feel the pain in the back of my head and behind my right ear. At any rate, I noticed it while on the treadmill a couple of times and then again tonight while taking a walk.  It doesn't seem to bother me when I am still.  I started working out several months ago and  I have increased the incline on the  treadmill and have to "hang on" to the handles because I feel as though I'm going to fall off.  I am wondering if I strained chest muscles by hanging on so tight.   I also suffer from anxiety disorder and am wondering if there is a connection there.  I tend to get my panic symptoms each time I have a wave of this pain.
I have only questions, no answers.  My story is that I was at the dental hygienist's for a long hour in the chair and I do remember thinking at some point, well, I seriously need another break here, but can't remember my exact symptoms at the time.  Anyway, the next day the back of my neck seemed very painful and tight, and the pain spread to the shoulder and I started thinking I'd put something out and needed a chiropractic visit; but now, a day later, the pain is all in the front right of my throat, it hurts to swallow but only with certain positions of my head: if I tuck my chin it's okay.  So from that I assume it's muscular and not a raw throat.
Discovered that there was a lot of mercury vapour in the air, a very unventilated office and the guy just before me had an entire mouthful of amalgam which she'd been trying to clean and polish.  So I think there is a connection.  But not sure what.  Any ideas/experience?
OMG.  I pulled the muscle too.  I was pushing large fixtures at work and aparently used my neck muscle that helps with swallowing.  I went to three doctors and they all told me it didn't corolate.  They kept thinking I was explaining a soar throat from a cold. I said " I've been swallowing just fine for 37 years until yesterday when I pushed the fixture". I would have to force the swallow.  I finally got sent to a massage therapist...she very gently ran her fingers agains these muscles and kind of pinched the surrounding muscles.  I highly recommend this...it felt worse for the next few hours but when I woke up the next morning I was way better.  I suffered with not being able to swallow for a week, it was so bad I developed anxiety from it.  The massage therapist has saved me.  
I feel that I may have the same thing left and slightly up from my adam's apple had it once before and it went away after a while
I sing too and but not recently
Cheers
Hi, my name is Bob and it's been two days since my last Tragic Yawning Accident.

I've suffered from this for the last 9 years. The first time was absolutely terrifying. It happens once or twice a year. I let out a big yawn, usually while I am dehydrated, and something on one side of neck (right behind the glands) will pop. After that, swallowing is agony for the next 3-4 days. After about a day I'll get a really bad ear/throat infection to follow. I caught this last one about 3x in a week before it actually happened. I can feel the signs pretty early on in the process. It's just a matter of stopping myself in time.
This is a neck strain. I too am a singer and I also clench my teeth while sleeping... To the douche who commented he thought his friend was lying, guys like you suck, any time someone hurts themselves, you gotta assume its the truth. Be a help not a hindrance man.

As for this problem, there is not much you can do in the moment except remain calm keep your mouth/jaw open and slowly massage the neck gentle the muscle releases...

People who carry lots of stress in the neck may find this happening even during a yawn...

Don't forget, when anything crazy happens, breathe, when we breathe we supply our brain with oxygen which keeps us calm and helps us think clearly and recover faster... When you freak you hold your breath and cut off your oxygen supply when then makes it harder for the muscle to release.

In addendum I would like to say that daily glucosamine helps lubricate muscles and keeps them from seizing up. Vit C helps this process and complex vit B and B-12 help decrease stress. Also KAVA KAVA tea makes your muscles as mellow as Cheech-n-Chong but way cheaper...

Im having the exact same problems as you had and having a hard time swallowing food....everything needs to be extremely liquid /blended/mashed. What was your outcome? How did you get rid of whatever it is? I was tested by an ENT, a gastro, Endocronologist, and everyone is telling me its stress or a virus but it's really not going away.  It almost seems like i did pulled a muscle there...when i sing it hurts and tenses up afterwards...when i eat something a little more solid, same outcome....if i workout and strain my neck or use it somehow, same outcome.
I hope you can help because its been 5 months of this and im sick of it!
Thanks in advance!
I've had a problem with needing lots of effort to use my voice to speak- it is not entirely new to me, but has become rather severe in the past week.  Just had a laryngoscopy and there were no polyps or nodules or tumors.  Dr. didn't know what it was.  I've been feeling like it is tension or strained muscles.  There is no swelling or pain to speak of.  Any thoughts?
i was thrown from a motorcycle and landed on my forehed and arms. i have neck strain and the spasms in my throat and neck were unreal. my tongue swell up at the scene. its been 5 days and the left side of my tongue still swoll and cant control eating. cant move it to the left to feel my back teeth.. what can this be?
It pains to talk and it feels like a muscle pull right under my jaw- any ideas to what this is?
I was talking to someone standing up and I heard a voice calling my name, so while I was talking I turned and something, in the same very moment somthing happened to my throat and it began to hurt on the right side. I turned right when I pulled the muscle, I don't have a cold, I don't have acid issues, and I am 100% certain it was a throat muscle as I felt it in the strange manner I turned when my name was called.

I am also glad there is such forum, I would tell people and they think I am crazy and they laugh telling me that there is a cold coming, etc.
Last night i had just finished eating a take away, i had a mouth full of water then suddenly i felt this weird pain in the right side of my throat i started to panic like man ended up being sick as i thought it was the food but the feeling is still there this morning i have not tried having anything to eat yet as i am scared to, lately i have been suffering from anxiety attacks and this happening has made me worse, will this go away?
Sounds just like me. Except my throat is raw on the right side too. Been sore for 8 months. Happened suddenly. I think it was fron digging the garden, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
If you feel like you pulled a muscle in your neck you should probably go see a doctor. I pulled one in my Neck from
Yawning and it felt like a Charliehoarse in my throat so my mom took me to the doctor so it turns out I did and they gave some pain Meds and some muscle relaxers to help with the muscle spasms
This is how i hurt my neck, lifting my head off my pillow while my heads was turned to the left. My pain is on right side right by artery. It's very painful to push into neck like your checking your heart rate. That's how I can describe it.