Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cannot breathe at all, without Nasal Spray. Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello. Im a 38 year old male. History of allergies. Right now, and for the last several days i have been suffering from nasal congestion. Virtually complete blockage. I have tried Claritin, decongestants,Capsacin spray,  neti-pot lavage but the only thing that even comes close to any relief is Afrin nasal spray. I realize how bad this is to use, but nothing else provides any measurable relief and the afrin provides total relief. Ive never been where decongestants had no effect. Ive only used the Afrin twice and that was the last 2 evenings. It gives me 12 hours of clear breathing. I then suffer throughout the day because I do not want to use too much, and prefer to be able to breathe at night.

I need help.
...other info...Any mucous i can expel appears clear at this time. We have a cat, but have had her for a while. The only thing that might be different is that she is shedding right now, but i dont believe the cat is the cause.
Yes, afrin is a godsend, but is addictive after as short as 3 days of use.  Get off of it!  Ask your doctor for a nasal steroid.

Enoch Choi, MD
I have a condition called hypogammaglobulinenima and my IGA levels are almost non-existent. This is the part of the blood that protects the mucous linings of the lungs, sinuses and eyes. I found a very helpful piece of equipment that has reduced my sinus infections by 2/3's. Checkout HydroMed.com and review the info about the Hydro Pulse, which is a powered waterpick for the sinuses. I use a blend of kosher salt and baking soda in solution (1-2) times daily and use two sprays of Nasonex in each nostril in the AM and on occassion use NasalCrom (over the counter--Cromolyn Sodium Solution). I can breath, my sinuses are not blocked and my infection rate is way way down. It sure beat antibiotics and oral steroids. The first ime you use it the feeling is a bit intimidating. I first thought "Where is the water going, into my brain?" It takes 5+ seconds for the solution to find it's way through our complex sinus cavities. You will not believe the amount of material that comes out. The Dr. who invented this feels strong that clogged sinuses become infected and his system keeps them clean and free of germs. Try it you will not be sorry. Let me know how you make out.
Nasal sinus irrigation is very helpful to reduce congestion and rates of infection.

Enoch Choi, MD
I get very congested when i lay down so congested that i wake up after a few hours of sleep unless i take sleeping pills which i cant live on forever. I have tried rhinocort no help it eventually dried my nose out and started to bleed like dry blood and i tried astelin after a few days i was congested worse. Is nasalcort that much different? Also i have used neilmed saline rinse and that didnt help either. Sometimes my congestion will move side to side as i toss and turn and also theres something in my nose that flares up inside my nose when laying down really dry when i am laying down. yet ct scan is clear but its okay when upright or walking around. How is anyone ever going to exam me in the middle of the nite when its at its worst.  Any Help appreciated. thank you.
Cannot believe I'm writing this, but I feel there are some people who need to know this
and will try anything for relief, so here goes

I had a deviated septum which I had surgey for over 15 years ago, it felt great
to begin with, but over the years its still hard to breathe through each nostril,
and at times I just be so blocked up it would drive me crazy,as I could get
no relief, I had a bad experienced also with the surgery, so as you would guess
completely against going through it again.

Lately though, I have suffering with blocked nose for over 3 months, I came up with this idea
which involves taking an ear bud and placing it inside one of your nostrils
just a millimetere or so inside, (be extremely careful when performing this)
and basicly tickling the inside of your nose, takes a while to get the right spot
and when you do your nose begins to loosen up and the mucus will come
pouring out, obviously  this is not for everyone and I'm no expert in the dangers,
it works for me thats all I know,
Actually, James978, I've had the same effect with flecks of black pepper.  Let one or two flecks inhale into your nostril(s), yes you will sneeze but your nose will wash out too and you'll breath nice and clear for a while..  It's a nice substitute for saline spray, if you don't have any on hand.
If you dont mind me asking what was your bad experience with your deviated septum surgery  how long was the breathing relief because you mentioned it was 15 yrs ago  are you just having problems again now?  and i dont understand about the ear bud if i put something up my nose that will block even more air ?  
irritating your inner nose with something in order to produce more mucous is not as effective as rinsing with nasal saline rinse
My nose has been stopped up for a month now, it will also run while stopped up.  Also sneezing as with allergies.  I have used nasal spray to the point of no return.  The doctor has me on Augmentin for the sinus infection, but it does not seem to be helping.  Now, I either suffer with not being able to breath or spray my nose and deal with the horrible burning in my throat and nose and the itching in my ear.  I am so miserable!