Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cannot clear throat!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Cannot clear throat!

hi everyone,

i am REALLY hoping someone can help me with this...  for almost 3 YEARS i have had this "thing" going on ONLY with the right side of my throat...

* i keep trying to clear it but it feels tight & constricted on one side

* it feels clogged/stuck (when there is barely any mucous) i have a dry cough that will not clear it but sounds hollow & deep coming from the bad side only.

* when i breathe it sounds all whiny/wheezy like i am breathing through a tiny straw or something

* when i swallow sometimes it feels like i choke on saliva/food...

* my chest hurts on the same side

i have had a ton of tests including: x-rays, pulmonary CT scan, spirometer, allergy tests, etc.. etc.. etc... basically they just look at me & say we can't find anything! all pulmonary, allergy & asthma tests are negative.

this feels terrible!  i cant stand thinking this is with me for life. i am constantly clearing my throat (to no avail) and coughing (which does nothing). it varies in intensity but is there all the time.  this TOTALLY SUCKS & it hurts!  the left side of my throat feels TOTALLY FINE. its just the right side!

has anyone else had anything like this?
or have a clue what the hell it could be, or how to fix it?

thanks so very much :)
you may have anxity I have it and I use to always feel as though something was stuck in my throat like I was going to choke and I had trouble swallowing. But if the doctor tested you and everything came out ok I would not worry. You probably just think about it to much. your mind can do some crazy things. Everytime I feel as though I cant swallow I just tell myself its all in my head I have been checked for everything, I'm fine. And it aventually goes away.
I hope I have helped you!
I have the same symptoms as you do.  Have you got any answers yet?  I am waiting to go for an endoscope in the next few weeks I hope.  This is driving me nuts.