Can't Taste or Smell Anymore

My name is Steve and I live in Baytown, Texas a small costal town full of Industry and pollution. I had troubles with allergies and went to see an ENT which got some X-Rays and put me through repairing a deviated septum and sinus surgery all in one. That was in 1998. I have been through the ringer with my sinuses and infections for quite a while. Seems just when I go to see a new doctor, they get a cat scan and immediately want to do surgery. I have had my MRI’s & Cat scans looked over by internist at Baylor. They can’t see why I would need surgery again other than me and my insurance card and a little co pay. I have to agree with them. I’m not going through that again.

Is there such thing as a doctor that will take a culture to find out why I can’t taste or smell. I can deal with taking antibiotics for months at a time if needed, but would rather loose a finger or toe than my taste and smell. It has been 6 months since I’ve been able to taste or smell. I’m getting depressed and hard to get along with around the house. Are there medical people that will find a source rather than chase a treatment or hit you up for the most expensive procedure they offer?

Thanks, Steve
I dont think i will be trying the atrovent because when my turbinates swell when i am laying down and or sleeping they are very dry i think that is why astelin stuffs me up worse because it seems to dry my nose up worse. I had a friend that did the acupuncture for her nose and she said all this stuff came out of her nose maybe mine and her situations might be different but i am going to try acupuncture 3-4 times. I dont know if i will try the singulair or not,my husband tells me to get to the root of the problem and fix it and not try to cover it up with nose sprays and medicine. By the way is singulair over the counter or do i need a script for that just in case i decide to try that also before surgery. thanks for listening :)
Getting to the root of the problem may require you to get allergy skin tests, where they introduce allergens under your skin to see if there's a reaction suggesting you're allergic to that allergen.

Singulair is prescription only.
It's time to close that door and seek another. You don't need that. Where do you live if I may ask. My new doctor has a network of Christian believing doctors all with his same princible of healing not dragging you on to pay the office bills. Turns out he goes to my Church. Joel Osteen (Lakewood) in Houston. Small world.
Close the door on nasal saline washes?  NOOOO!  It's really helpful, I totally agree with Wear/a/Jimmy that it's a cornerstone in removing the mucous and curing sinusitis.

I'm glad you found a Christian doctor that goes to your church, what a blessing, there aren't many out here in Palo Alto, CA.
If I had to rely on Christian doctors, it would be a LONG wait, they are not what I would call readily available.

Luckily, I genearally love all people, Bhudist as well & Bhudist don't go to church much. It is more of a way of life than anything.
Many friends of mine here in the San Francisco bay area are Bhuddist, some go to church a lot.  You're right though, many don't.
Had one Bhudist tell me church can be found in a blade of grass. Pretty profound thinking...
Here's my background on my allergy testing:  about 5-6 yrs ago had the skin ***** and the more depth skin pricking where blood is seen well then i had all negative results but a few months ago i had retesting done same allergist as 5 yrs ago and the 1st day i went had negative results on the skin ***** but on the skin ***** with the blood part my skin was red but   not itchy and if you just touch my skin i get red marks on me. anyway i had to go back the next week to get retested on the skin ***** with the blood and they said i have allergies to dust mites,molds and fungi and a level 3 1000 pnu to grass mix i guess which means they had to inject me with a high level to get this result because when i go outside with freshly cut grass i love the smell and i get no sneezing or itchy or watery eyes and the mold  Alternaria when it is at its highest is hot days july through frost. so a couple of things about my "allergies"   I never had this swollen turbinate problem until after my bad infection with my adenoids have been cultured a few times comes back staph in the nose and in october of 06 had a piece of granulated tissue cut out of my nose that didnt heal right and soon after that is when my turbinates have been swelling. I still tried a lot of things to see if dust allergies was the cause i tried claritin,benadryl, bought carpet allergen stuff for carpet, new allergen pillow,wash blankets in hot water and curtains in hot water , vaccuum twice a week,dust a lot i did all this and nothing worked so i think i have that staph that is what is making my turbinates swell i dont even have the classic symtoms to an allergy. and if it allergies then why is it only on one side of nose and not both nostrils plus the one mold allergy says until frost well all of last year after frost and i still have swollen turbinates plus all too coincidental that the months before my surgery or them cutting out that tissue my turbs were  not  swelling.
Why did those stars come up after skin?
You're right, allergies are usually bilateral (both sides) but some people are made in a way that makes it easier to clog up one side more than the other.

It sounds like you had a positive skin test on the 2nd go around, and those are allergens you could get shots for to be desensitized to.

It doesn't sound like you're convinced it's allergies.  You didn't mention trying nasal steroids?  Those are the cornerstone of decreasing nasal inflammation.
But i think the reason i had a positive on the 2nd test is because my skin was red but i had NO itching and if you  just touch my skin it turns red I am not convinced because i did a lot of dust allergy prevention and it didnt work plus the coincidence that i did not have any turbinate swelling problems until after the adnoid surgery and the cutting of the granulated tissue that didnt heal right after that my turbs started swelling my turbs werent swelling the few months before that. I have used rhinocort a lot last year right before i go to bed but after 3-4 hours of sleep then my turbs swell so bad i wake up because i am so congested from not breathing plus when i used the rhinocort too much my nose would get blood in it and they say on the rhincort script to not use more than 3 weeks and i used it for months last year........   also why did those stars come up after skin in my last reply??  thanks for listening
Praise God Tasteless. Glad to hear you go to Joels church. Hey I desperately need the name of a Christian Dr in Digestive Diseases or Gastro in the Houston or N. Houston area. Also need a pain management for my daughter. The holistic dr is working out well but those thing don't turn around over night. She has been poisioned by a serious mold condition in her home. She moved back in with me but she is very very sick! I cry myself to sleep and wonder if she will wake up in the morning. She has been diagnosised with Fibromyalsia from the mold conditions. In addition to all her sinus conditions, constant on going sinus infection. CONSTANT antibiotics, and pic lines. She just got sicker and sicker with no one to help her. So we just moved from Colorado back to try and assist her. Can anyone make a suggestion? Love the holistic Dr but it turns out that it is a 2 & 1/2 hr drive one way and the drive is very hard on her and I. She needs to be seen every week. Does anyone know a good holistic dr in the houston area. I am completely open for suggestions. Each night she cries and begs God to take her home.  It is horrible for a mother to watch!  Nothing cuts you more that watching your child in constant pain. She vomits non-stop from the mucus she has to swallow. It just pours down her throat. She has tried every remedy know to man. But the mold was VERY extensive. He dr said it will take 3 months for the mold to come out of her. And that is after we can afford to replace her mattress for her and wash everything she owns.

Open for suggestions.
Skin tests are considered positive with a wheal (raised bump) not just with redness.  They don't have to be itchy but often are.

I know many patients successfully using Rhinocort on a chronic basis

Don't know why the stars came up.  I see stars replacing email addresses in other forum posts.
Mold doesn't often cause infections in the body, what antibiotics is your daughter getting by IV pic lines?

If the post-nasal drip is so extensive, it sounds more allergic, has she seen an ENT or Allergist?

Sorry for her suffering with fibromyalgia.  Has she sought care from her pastor?  Spiritual care can help with many of the issues that can somatize to pain.
I do know a good pain management doctor. He is a young black man with a very good bedside manner and concern. 4201 Garth Suite 212. Dr. Carter. I don't know if he's Christian, but can see God working through his hands. 281-420-9355.

I have to tell you honestly though, I have heard of people that have all kind of problems. Sometimes people not liking there present situation in life will (will) themselves sick, some or hypochondriacs and can't help it, they were brought up with to much O babe and there are one that are just plain sick. If I was your daughter, I would be in the medical center in Houston. This is not a joke when somebody prays to die. You should not seek a list of miricle workers, pastor and psychologist. IMO

God Bless, Steve
I want to pick your brain on Mold. While mold in a house is most often found on walls, floors, ceilings, carpets and fabrics exposed to moisture, one particularly troublesome hiding place is inside the duct work and associated components of central forced-air heating and air-conditioning systems.
Homeowners start up their central heating systems many find themselves suddenly coughing, wheezing and sneezing. MOLD can cause health problems that range from itching eyes, sneezing and coughing to serious allergic reactions, asthma attacks and even permanent lung damage. And what many people do not know is that mold could be growing in their homes right now.

I had a neighbor that had their house tore down due to mold. She suffered from long years exposure. At that time insurance companies picked up the whole bill, but today Mold is exclusive in our plans to the amount of legit and false claims.

Mold self inspection kits will not be inclusive for peace of mind and I would advice a professional certified inspector to come in and check a house if in doubt. Nothing material we have in so important not to leave behind for our health. Life is short, make the best of everyday. What's the worst thing that could happen?  I live by : God helps only the ones who help themselves.

"Each night she cries and begs God to take her home."  I missed that sentence.  Tasteless is right, I have relatives close to me who have gotten to that level of despair.  A doctor can help and it's important to go see an empathetic doctor and tell them "Each night she cries and begs God to take her home" right away.  Like today.  Spend the time on that rather than thinking of replacing the bed.
There are some people allergic to alternaria and other molds.  Skin testing with an allergist can help see if an individual is sensitive to mold.
I myself was tested with both arms of needles and ONE bump came up. MOLD. I'm allergic to mold. They said almost everybody is, nothing to worry about. But I'm suffering still of what I started this thread with. Think mold might be an equation? I see some mold self check kits, but never thought I would have mold at my residence even though it is a 53 year old house.
There are different molds, and you need to ask your allergist to find out what kind, and consider getting desensitized by regular allergy shots.  It's too hard to rid your house of it, even though it's worth removing as much as you can.
My next door neighbors declared MOLD to the insurance after the wife was sick a long while. The house was demolished to the slab. They were well paid off. A new car, a motor home while the new house was being built and kept it.

That's close to home. I might just check into mold types and check that out.

What the bummer is, that right after these neighbors cleaned up and moved into their dream home, all insurances quit insuring MOLD claims.
I have unsuccessfully tried Rhinocort it did not help me i was on it a very long time.  I didnt put any email addresses in  after skin i think i typed allergy after skin   about the stars???  does anyone else know why this happened?  Tasteless mentioned Mold inspection kits how do they work i can see how they would check a duct system  but  how would they check in the walls and floors and carpet  is this all in the same kit or who would you call about this? and would the same person check all these areas of your home? anyone?  thanks
I don't believe mold elimination from the home is all that effective.  Allergy shots to desensitize you may be a better option.
If you live within 20 miles of Galveston Bay, you are on Planet Mold.  I didn't know what sinusitis was when I lived in the high desert, but when I moved to Houston, every cold, sniffle, or sneeze turned into acute, then chronic sinusitis.  I developed the Flip-Turn flush as a desperate alternative to begging God to take me home.

The teacher in the class next door was making fun of mold victims earlier this year, until she started losing her voice last month.  The test for mold came back positive, and the decontamination team comes to her classroom tomorrow.  They'll never get it all.  Dr. Choi is right.

Why stay in Houston?  For starters, the world's largest church (Joel Osteen's) is right down the road from the world's largest liquor store (Spec's).  Totally whack.
Your a card for sure. Now to admit yourself as concerned mothers daughter has, begging God to take you home is way out there. This isn't stage 5 of stomach cancer. Sinus is the least of both your problems. You can flip turn this and that all day long, but once your gone everybody looses. I wouldn't be on this board if I didn't care, but like the psychologist told the light bulb, I can help you, but you have to be willing to be changed.

I can't understand why, but even on a medhelp talk forum you would think people to be compassionate towards the post for the quest of knowledge to ease their pains. You have totally belittled a church, a town of industry that supports a high income society to live prosperous as promised. Nobody said there wouldn't be sick people, and if your flip turn flush works, why can't we pick up the kit our you journal at Walgreen's or Barnes and Noble. :(Read more in My Journal (friggy). You know a locations of local liquor store right down the road from the Church I attend by choice, way before Joel. I must have missed the liquor store or was not looking for it. Why even make a statement like that? My friend, I would come to your funeral, but not go on vacation with you. Negativity is not in me. You seem to be reaching out for help with your oxymoron.

I was born in Baytown, TX and due to our family building a small refinery with horse and carriages and living in shotgun homes lined up for miles, we settled. We always thought that if the hat fits wear it. Well I'm fourth generation to the small industry called ExxonMobile / Shell / BP etc. today. This is our bread and butter. Now if you could find me a job with my industrial petro chemical experience in a non mold city you let me know. I'll consider talking it over with my wife and kids about abandoning my and my wife's family. I have read a lot on this post both good and bad and my visit with Dr. Lawrence seemed to be a wonderful event I loved to share. But no matter were you go you will find critics and naysayers eeven on a help line. May all be blessed and give thanks for what we do have and not whine for what we don't.

Happy Thanksgiving, Doctor of FaithSteve
I haven't forgot you, but you can take this to the bank. We do not live in a third world county and your daughter doesn't have to pray to die. This is not acceptable humanity. You just watching your child is not right. We do have free Emergency Care and do not deserve or have to suffer. Believe me you have not reached the end of the line. Help yourself and get her under professional care. What do have to loose? Your daughter. Your beyond a talk forum and pity. Get busy.

God Bless, Steve
Hi and THANK YOU For the referral. When I got up Monday I determined that I was going to keep taking her to dr's until I found someone who knew what was going on. Dr. Clarke agreed to see her immediately and squeezed her in yesterday afternoon. HE WAS AMAZING and just as you promised! He was able to treat her whole body not just the ENT field he was trained in. He took one look at her and began jumping on  shots and diff tests and proceedures. All with lengthy explaniations. I was so completely impressed. We will always return to him. Even though I had taken her to 2 other dr's before and they had NO answers Dr. Clarke was right on it! He gave her 3 shots and promised she would start to feel better by Thanksgiving. She was able to eat dinner last night also after the shots. I would recommend this guy to anyone. HE IS A MIRACLE WORKER. And what a sweet and humble bedside manner. He is like the old time dr. -so precious, -so gentle, -so patient and understanding. I love how he treats the whole body.

I had apts with her primary care, a pain management and a gastro all for today and tomorrow and cancelled them all because Dr. Clarke is completely on top of things. He said that he felt confident to treat all her needs. His number again is 713-943-2444  if anyone else needs to see him. He is in Pasadena, TX. AMAZING- that is all I can say. Tiff and I are very encouraged! Thank you so very much for the referral! You have been such a blessing Steve- Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I have a lot to be thankful for!!! Ronda
If you dont mind one more question about allergies,  My left turbinate is the one that swells up but how come if i lay on my right side it will alievate the pressure off of the left side? If it was an allergy then i would need some sort of allergy medicine to unswell the turbinate but always staying on the right side when i sleep is impossible because i toss and turn and when i end up on my left side then they start swelling again and i remember also before all this started to happen i used to LOVE to sleep on my left side and i am definitely not a stomach sleeper at all and sometimes i might start out on my back which isnt great either because sometimes the left turbs are swelling being on my back doesnt help either i end up just turning on my side.  By the way, just out of curiositity how many and how long do allergy shots take effectiveness? Because after acupuncture ( i know you didnt think this was effective but i have tried a lot of other things i am going to try anyway) I just dont think if the allergy shots take months and months to become effective if i can wait that long i have really put up with this long enough. thanks for listening :)
Ronda, wow I'm so glad to see some positive feedback. I do know what I'm talking about most of the time. This doctor CARES more than anybody I've ever known. I wondered why he had all male nurses at first, but found out later that the rumor is that his wife didn't get along with the female nurses so he hired all male. Smart guy.

I'm a true believer that Christians piggy back off each other to reach higher levels in all areas. I'm glad to be here at the right time and the right place for you. Thank you Jesus.

You and Tiff smile a while and have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Steve of Baytown
To point out interesting contrasts in a city is not to criticize them.  I would never belittle your church; in fact, I had dinner with a Lakewood member last night, and that person is wonderful. Nor was I belittling the liquor store.  

I work in the shadow of the refineries.  If one complains of the pollution, I tell them that's the smell of money.  I've never met so many people with chronic sinusitis.  IN CONTRAST, I've invented the best cure for chronic sinusitis.  Houston has mold, IN CONTRAST, I had the best allergist in Texas.

This area is built on the oil business, which you know is high risk.  IN CONTRAST, the Flip-Turn is mildly risky, and no publisher is willing to take the risk or liability.  This city has the biggest medical center in the world, and IN CONTRAST, it has some of the best medical liability lawyers in the US, and that is not a criticism of either.

Good day
Your a good man and I respect you. I took the wrong judgement or even judgement in my own hands about the way I took your post and the way I replied. I wish you the best on your favor with hopes you do indeed have a gift for all the suffering to share. I making good money, but can't smell IT or anything.

A Church is a Church if all our worshiping our God. It's just a place I call home even with over 10,000 people sitting next to you every week.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Steve @ BP were I can't smell a thing. Sad
Hi Steve- Saw Dr. Clark again today. He has wanted to see Tiff each day. Go today also. He is giving her shots of antibiotics. Next week we will go see the pain mgt dr you recommended in Baytown. I can't thank you enough. Isn't it a blessing when we are the one the Lord positions to use as a blessing for others. Have a great Thanksgiving friend and God Bless you richly! Hey did you get my email?  

Take Care- Ronda
PS: Steve I know this guy in CA who is a compounder of herbs. He has a tincture, salve ... etc, and cure for anything. If you are interested let me know. His company name is Tierra Tonics and can mail you what you need.
You both enjoy yourselves today and give thanks where thanks is due. I'm just a messenger.

My list of miracles may be small, but still overflows. Maybe I'll find you one day out an a bout. I'll know who you are and you will know me.

One day at a time and remember, don't look out your  dwellings window to see the outdoors, go outdoors and look at your dwelling. There something cool and blue today from a paint brush only one man could paint.

Happy Thanksgiving to all including Richy???
Hi friend-
Saw Dr. clarke yesterday. Her CT scan came back with a growth in the sinus area that prevents drainage. Hence all the dozens of infections. Surgery in 3 weeks. But all looks promising.

Praising God for all His goodness!
Ronda
That's common and sometimes polyps. Dr Clarks surgery is 5 day full recovery I hear. Tiff with an open drain will stop all infection problems. They will biopsy the growth to ease the worries. All looks good now. Keep me posted.

God Bless, Steve
when you turn over, the side that's lower can fill those turbinates and swell them

allergy shots work differently for every person, you won't know until you try it out
I went and saw the Doc and I'm doing better than ever. He did mention that he was working to get Tiff up to speed. keep me posted on her progress.

Thanks, Steve of Baytown
Hi friend-
Just to let you know. I think Dr. Clark is AMAZING! He kept running blood work on Tiff and came to the root of the problem. Something 3 other good doctors never thought to check. HE WAS AMAZED and kept saying "How could the other doctors miss this?" So anyway he is agressively pursuing a cure for the root cause and we believe she will be feeling much better soon. She is really sick and will need transfusions for several months. Please keep her in your prayers.

Take care-
Ronda
Will Do.

We are going to  Joels tonight for the special healing meeting. Are you going???
Ronda
You know out of all these years I have never gone to the healing meetings. My wife took a woman friend one time and Dodie did just what she did when she had cancer, lay down every passage in the bible very boldly to let that illness know it was smaller than our God. Needless to say, that lady never had a sign of cancer again. She was a woman of great faith and with the help of a crowd of believers, mountains can be moved. Most people live in their own bubbles and don't realize that most of the people in a walmart, in a car, at a movie etc. are going through a really tough time. I really believe everything happens for a reason. I got to meet you guys, you got to meet Dr. Clark and some of the strongest believers got to pray over Tiff. All Tiff has to do is believe and things will happen in Gods time. He doesn't wear a watch so patience and faith is all we have. I hope all this illness goes away during the holidays. I will pray real hard for you both, but remember these doctors are special. They have been blessed and God works through their hands to help us with our earthly pains.

God Bless, Steve
I'll be praying for healing as well...  

what kind of transfusions?
Dear Dr. -Will find out more today. She starts her first of many transfusions for a "compromised immune system". They said 6 months of treatment with a oncologist. Not sure beyond that what they are. She does not have cancer. They take 3.5 hrs to transfuse each [weekly].  Dr. Clark put this together. HE IS WONDERFUL! He found all this with blood tests. She is getting another sinus infection- she gets them weekly and has for several months now. She had mold poisioning from the place she was living. They never saw mold but could smell it in the home near the end. And before we knew it she was to sick to react and just laid up in bed getting sicker. She is out of that home now, (moved in with me last month) After the transfusions she will need outpatient surgery to remove growths in the nose and straighten the septum. They suspect the mold may have been the cause. Not sure myself. Clark is very helpful and encouraging. We feel very excited about Tiff finally getting the relief she needs. Thanks for your prayers- Our God is an awesome God!
how'd the transfusion go on the 7th?

6 months is a long time.  3.5 hours is pretty long.  i can't imagine what medication takes that long?
Can anyone help me with my issue of smelling smoke.  My firest expeerience was about 7 months ago, I put my nose down to smell a burning Lampe Berger lamp (has wick with no flame of toxic stuff ) and anyway starting smelling smoke after that, went to dr., she sent me to ENT, he did an endoscopy and just thought I had traumatized my olfactory nerves...well here it is 7 mopnths later, oh he gave me Medrol dose Pak (steroids and a nasal rinse) well anyway here it is back after 7 month.  I went on a walk the other day and it was cold and alot of chimneys with smoke and bam, here it is again.  I live in North Houston and need help.  This is driving me crazy!
Parosmia is the larger class for this problem which includes:
— Abhorrent odor perception either
1. without an odorant stimulus (phantosmia) or
2. with an odorant stimulus (distortion or troposmia)

Phantosmia is what most people are describing here.

Parosmia is more frequently seen with:
Obstructive phenomena (rhinosinusitis, rhinitis (allergic and nonallergic), nasal polyps, cancer)
Upper respiratory infection
Head trauma
Facial trauma
Central olfactory damage (edema, brain compression, and hemorrhage)
alzheimer's & parkinson's
Sjögren's syndrome
Kallmann syndrome
Turner's syndrome,
hypothyroidism
diabetes mellitus.
Nutritional abnormalities (malnutrition, pellagra, pernicious anemia, and vitamin deficiency)
toxic agents, tobacco, and drugs (methacrylate vapors, ammonia, benzene, cadmium dust, chromate, formaldehyde, hydrogen sulfide, nickel dust, solvents, and sulfuric acid)
Medications (beta blockers, antithyroid drugs, dihydropyridine (calcium channel blocker), and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors)
Intranasal zinc, used as an over-the-counter remedy for the common cold, has been associated with anosmia
Hi.I've only just tapped into this stuff. Can anyon help e? I 've read all yur posts, but i still can't understand_ will I ever be able to taste or smell again? I'm so depressed, feel so isolated and down at mealtimes with my family.It's pathetic, whoich makes me feel worse.

Have been getting asthma and hay fever for 6 months. Seretide and becanase every few days, once, controlled it. Taste came on and off until one week ago both went, entirely. It's like eating dirt, all t time. Can't smell my baby, or taste anything at all.

Doctor says don't worry, it will come back. Reading all this stuff, back and forth, and the problem remains. Have treied the saline thing, clearly nothing works.
i was in Venezuela for two years, then came back to IL in april 2009, then moved to Albuquerque, NM for 8 months.  When i was in NM, suddenly i couldn't taste food and food tasted wierd....I am now in Atlanta, GA and still can't tasted...it'ts weird....but have always had sinus troubles and ear problems so am scared if this could be like a serious thing or is it ????/ I never ever had this problem to taste...i'm scared and it's worrying me....any help??? please.
It's impossible to be too specific.  This can be a problem with the sinuses -- if the sense of smell is impaired, the sense of taste will follow suit.  Otherwise, the taste nerve itself or the tissues in the mouth can be at fault.  A full exam and history would be required...
I'm 25 and while all the times I've ever been sick which is about twice a year. I've never lost my since of taste and smell until recently when I became sick and it was like no other. I was waking up every morning with a splitting headache and couldn't taste or smell anything. The headaches felt like there was an excessive amount of pressure in my head and it was squeezing my brain and pushing outward on my skull. After a week I had had enough and decided to call my mom about this cause shes pretty knowledgeable about sickness and remedies. For the splitting headache and she told me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen which was 4 pills and I asked are you serious? and she said that was a prescription dosage. So I did and YES! no more ridiculous headaches. But my since of taste and smell were still at large. so after about 2 more weeks of that I decided to go to the minute clinic at CVS Pharmacy and the doctor there concluded I had a sinus infection and prescribed me 20 pills of Amoxicillin 875MG to take twice daily and within a couple days I got my since of smell and taste back. And no more headaches either so no more ibuprofen. Yay.