Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Can't hear after blowing nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Can't hear after blowing nose

12 hours ago I must have blown my nose too hard (I am very congested due to a cold) because my left ear "popped" and then I couldn't hear our of that ear. I've tried yawning and holding my mouth/nose closed then blowing and I still can't get my ear to pop again back to normal. I'm taking sudafed now and I take zyrtec for allergies every night. Did I rupture my eardrum?
I doubt you damaged your ear drum... but it hearing doesn't return you need to be checked by a doctor, your primary care should be able to diagnose, but an ENT specialist better if you have one, I don't, yet.

Ear wax can cause hearing loss, or at least a great reduction in ability to hear.  I don't know if wax can be aggravated by a hard nose blow, but trying to clean wax out seems worth the effort to me.

I would use hydrogen peroxide full strength (whatever comes in the bottle of regular peroxide, there may be some super strength stuff, I'm not referring to that if it exists).  I use an ear syringe and after putting my head down on the bed (I find it hard to lay my head over and hold there for 10 minutes standing up) I'd put enough peroxide in the subject ear to full to overflowing, have a couple of tissues handy.  I'd then lay still for at least 10 minutes.  You will hear loud bubbling if there is any wax to clear and you may find it tickles, try to ignore the tickle you'll get used to it.  Then dump you ear and perhaps use the syringe again to direct some warm water into the ear to wash it out. Don't squirt a hard stream of water, just a soft flow.  If you get any visible chunks out, then you may have found the problem.  If this doesn't help I'd go a second or even third try after giving the ear a hour or so to "recover'.  If this doesn't help and the hearing loss continues I think it time to discuss with your doctor.
This could be an issue with your eardrum and/or your eustachian tubes.

Doctor's visit yet?
I went to the doctor 3 days ago with fever and cough. Ears and nose were clear. The nose congestion started yesterday. I was blowing my nose all day and finally I blew so hard my ear popped. I have a little pain behind my earlobe, but it's the "fullness", pressure, and lack of being able to hear that bothers me the most. I will go to the doctor if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow. I'm apprehensive to put hydrogen peroxide in my ear in case the ear drum is ruptured or torn. Thanks for the advice.
Who told you to put hydrogen peroxide in your ears?
I blew my nose, got crazy dizzy for 60 seconds and then couldn't hear a thing for 2 days. I went to the doctor and they said they're was swelling behind the ear, but it was mostly wax that got stuck in there somehow! She cleaned it out, and my hearing is 90% better!