Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cant smell or taste. What should I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Cant smell or taste. What should I do?

I lost my sense of smell and cannot taste,but I do have (tongue sense salty,sweet,sour, bitter ) but actual flavours of the food, like chicken, steak cream etc zero for 6 months now after about a week run down from a flu/cold virus. I could smell and just taste while I had the flu virus but on the 7th day had an onset of hayfever spasm, sneezing, watery eyes minor headache but and took panadol/paracetamol for the headache. Thinking because of the sneezing typical nose blockage my sense of smell and taste would come back in a couple of weeks. 6 months on still nothing. I went to the doctors about 3 weeks ago and she said she's never heard of such a thing?. But she took bloods and said I should return for the results. I do smoke, do not take any other medication for hayfever ,allergies as it is only seasonal and I can handle it. I'm a stay at home Mum of  3 school age children 42yrs old physically fit and able, weigh 70kgs slighty over weight excellent blood pressure, never been high...lol I have been well since I walk and jog on a daily basis for about an hour. I cook everything and always have the hubby and kids to sample it before serving, they love it. Please point me in the right direction therefore I maybe able to resolve my missing out on the FLAVOURS of the WOnderful world of FOOD. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Agree with you food is the essence of life. There are several reasons why you may have a loss of smell/taste.  The most common reason is nasal obstruction which can be determined by examination by an ENT.  He/she may want to examine you with a scope inside of the nose to make this determination.  Also, viral illnesses and head trauma have also been known to cause this problem.  But, sometimes we never know why a particular person develops this problem. So, wait and watch and good luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.