Cant smell or taste. What should I do?
I lost my sense of smell and cannot taste,but I do have (tongue sense salty,sweet,sour, bitter ) but actual flavours of the food, like chicken, steak cream etc zero for 6 months now after about a week run down from a flu/cold virus. I could smell and just taste while I had the flu virus but on the 7th day had an onset of hayfever spasm, sneezing, watery eyes minor headache but and took panadol/paracetamol for the headache. Thinking because of the sneezing typical nose blockage my sense of smell and taste would come back in a couple of weeks. 6 months on still nothing. I went to the doctors about 3 weeks ago and she said she's never heard of such a thing?. But she took bloods and said I should return for the results. I do smoke, do not take any other medication for hayfever ,allergies as it is only seasonal and I can handle it. I'm a stay at home Mum of  3 school age children 42yrs old physically fit and able, weigh 70kgs slighty over weight excellent blood pressure, never been high...lol I have been well since I walk and jog on a daily basis for about an hour. I cook everything and always have the hubby and kids to sample it before serving, they love it. Please point me in the right direction therefore I maybe able to resolve my missing out on the FLAVOURS of the WOnderful world of FOOD. Thanks.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Agree with you food is the essence of life. There are several reasons why you may have a loss of smell/taste.  The most common reason is nasal obstruction which can be determined by examination by an ENT.  He/she may want to examine you with a scope inside of the nose to make this determination.  Also, viral illnesses and head trauma have also been known to cause this problem.  But, sometimes we never know why a particular person develops this problem. So, wait and watch and good luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.