Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Career/social life doomed by quick vocal cord retardation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Problem:
- Can't speak loud/ Can never scream
- Vocal cord completely gets tired even on speaking normally for just 30 minutes
- Have to speak slow in order to pronounce words correctly
- Problem worsening because now when the vocal cord feels uneasy I can't pronounce words with difficult  phonemes clearly
- Due to this problem I'm having to loose my friends and I'm not being able to do my job properly as I'm a consultant who has to speak for at least 4 hrs a day

History:
- Before 4 yrs my voice used to be normal
- Singing used to be my hobby but it was more bathroom/kitchen singing than formally on stage
- Slowly my vocal cords didn't feel good on singing and so I stopped singing. Now its more than 3 yrs that I've not sung
- Besides that I don't see any other reason that would have probably affected my voice
- But now even though I've stopped singing there's problem in speaking normally

Diagnosis from some doctors
- The vocal cord muscles are not air tight
- Need to do speech therapy

Questions:
1. Is there any chance that I'll get my normal voice back? I believe so because it once used to be okay.
2. I don't believe that speech therapy will help because to practice speech therapy I should be able to speak normally which I can't for more than 30 mins. Is there a way to fix this by surgery?
3. Which specialist should I visit and where?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, surgery may not help, speech therapy may help. Based on what you are describing, you might have inflammation of your superior laryngeal nerve which is the nerve that controls the muscle around your larynx (voice box) that controls pitch.  An upper respiratory tract infection (cold) can cause the inflammation.  You might need oral steroids or nerve medications like Lyrica to quiet down the inflammation. It can take up to 3 months for the inflammation to subside, but sometimes the problem is permanent. The best way for evaluation is to see a speech pathologist who specializes in voice and who can perform a videostroboscopy which is a special camera to look at the movement of the vocal cords.  The speech pathologist can recommend vocal strengthening exercises and works with an ENT who can prescribe the medication. Regards.
Thank you Paderla Anitha for the reply. I agree that cold could be a reason for this because the very same time I started having this problem I had moved from a place as hot as 90F to a place as cold as 30F.