Charlie Horse in throat/neck painful!
For the past maybe two years I have had charlie horses occuring in my neck. Or maybe its in my throat because when a charlie horse comes about, if I swallow, it tightens it more. The on-set of the charlie horse I have noticed has varied. I had one once after coughing up some water I had swallowed while swimming. Another time I was playing with my dog on my bed (laying on my back) and extended my head back and a charlie horse started. There have been times when after speaking for an extended period I feel like I could get one. And just this morning I was laying on my pillow on my side when I sneezed. I got a charlie horse from that! I couldnt go back to sleep because every time I tried to swallow my saliva, the muscle would tighten. I finally went a took a hot shower and rubbed the tightness out.

I saw an ENT last year about this and he was clueless. He hadnt heard of this problem before. So since they only occur every once in awhile I have just dealt with them. But this morning was very bothersome and scared me due to the odd way it on-set. Now I have to be worried about the position I am in when I sneeze? (note that while sitting upright a sneeze does not bring this on) I dont know what to do. And I dotn know what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is maybe my throat/larynx was damaged after I was intibated about four years ago during surgery? Maybe when the tube came out some damage was done?? Has anyone heard of this before? Please help!
I had the same sort of thing a few years back. I wouldn't have referred to it as a charlie horse,but more of a tightening that scared the bejeebers out of me. I couldn't swallow or anything...very scary.
Started seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist for other problems and the throat thing want away.
They told me that it could have been a pinched nerve or it could have been caused by the depression that I was having.
My doctor told me that it was probably caused by my IBS and acid reflux problems.
Guess I'll never know for sure,but whatever it is...was...it's gone.
Good luck