Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Child with chronic tickle/cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Child with chronic tickle/cough

My 9 year old daughter has had a tickle in her throat for 6 months now.   She says it tickles just above her voicebox.  This makes her cough very frequently (every 5 seconds).  

Cough drops, cough syrups have no effect.  We had her on an anti-hystimine for a couple weeks with no effect.   We took her to an ENT specialist who performed a larygoscopy on her in the office. She said that everything looked normal but was a little red.  She prescribed Prevacid 15mg/day for my daughter saying that acid reflux can cause this.   My daughter has been taking Prevacid daily for 2 months.  In the past 2 weeks she has remained in-doors all day long and one of those days she said her throat didn't tickle.    If the Prevacid is not working and she seems to have less tickle when she's inside - what does that mean?   Why didn't the Anti-hystimine work before?    She is suppose to go back to the doctor in a couple weeks - but I feel like the doctor is not going to be able to pinpoint what's going on and being unemployed now, I can't afford to give money to a doctor who can not provide any results!

Is there a list of things I can try ( and how long to try them), at home to help my daughter?  So far I've spent $295.00 on a "specialist" and my daughter hasn't improved one bit  -  I see NO end to this and I've lost faith in this doctor.