Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Choking on saliva
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Choking on saliva

For the past few months I have been having a problem with choking on my own saliva.  I go to swallow and just start choking. It also happens frequently when I first take a drink of something. It's been occurring much more regularly and I'm not sure if I should be concerned?

Thanks!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Have you been and had this checked by your doctor? Do you also have problems swallowing down solid food or is it just swalling water/saliva? Do you have any other 'motor' symptoms such as difficulties walking or coordinating movement?
It is probably best to see a doctor if symptoms are getting more frequent. It could be nothing more than an unco-ordinated swallow reflex, but best get it checked.
Blank
Thanks for the  information. I haven't as of yet been checked by a doctor but am planning to make an appointment this week. Motor skills seem to be ok. I do have some numbing and tingling in my hands and feet but not sure it's related.

Thanks again.
Blank
I have a coughing problem.  It almost always occurs with liquids or saliva.  There's a tickle in my throat; when it happens I am not actually choking, but can't get enough air because the coughing is so constant.  What scares me is this: as it's happening, my arms and upper chest area (around the collar bone) get the tight feeling you experience when you're getting your blood pressure checked.  It goes away in about 1 minute.  FYI, I've had acid reflex for over 20 years, have many sinus problems, post-nasal drip, and also allergies.  I do not have high blood pressure.  I am overweight, but have never been a smoker.  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!
Blank
I don't know if this is relevant, but I recently learned, after seeing a chiropractor, that my C-5 and C-6 damage causes a sensitivity to refined carbs. I cough whenever I have consumed sweets, but I may have to limit carbs to ONLY rice and corn (and fruits and veg's) and see how that goes..  
I have choked on my saliva on occasion, since I was little. I remember my Dad choking suddenly on his saliva, too.  As I have gotten older ( I am 47) I cough and choke multiple times a day when drinking water. If I fast for 24 hours, it is a little better. I gave up drinking pop (even diet) about 3 years ago, because I want to make my body more alkaline, since diseases, including cancer, can NOT develop in a more alkaline system. Cancer can live indefinitely in an acidic environment, however! So I am changing my diet.  I used to take reflux pills, but they subdue the body's ability to produce enough acid to properly digest foods, and that can cause other digestive problems.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ear, Nose & Throat Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...