For the past few months I have been having a problem with choking on my own saliva. I go to swallow and just start choking. It also happens frequently when I first take a drink of something. It's been occurring much more regularly and I'm not sure if I should be concerned?
Have you been and had this checked by your doctor? Do you also have problems swallowing down solid food or is it just swalling water/saliva? Do you have any other 'motor' symptoms such as difficulties walking or coordinating movement?
It is probably best to see a doctor if symptoms are getting more frequent. It could be nothing more than an unco-ordinated swallow reflex, but best get it checked.
Thanks for the information. I haven't as of yet been checked by a doctor but am planning to make an appointment this week. Motor skills seem to be ok. I do have some numbing and tingling in my hands and feet but not sure it's related.
I have a coughing problem. It almost always occurs with liquids or saliva. There's a tickle in my throat; when it happens I am not actually choking, but can't get enough air because the coughing is so constant. What scares me is this: as it's happening, my arms and upper chest area (around the collar bone) get the tight feeling you experience when you're getting your blood pressure checked. It goes away in about 1 minute. FYI, I've had acid reflex for over 20 years, have many sinus problems, post-nasal drip, and also allergies. I do not have high blood pressure. I am overweight, but have never been a smoker. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
I don't know if this is relevant, but I recently learned, after seeing a chiropractor, that my C-5 and C-6 damage causes a sensitivity to refined carbs. I cough whenever I have consumed sweets, but I may have to limit carbs to ONLY rice and corn (and fruits and veg's) and see how that goes..
I have choked on my saliva on occasion, since I was little. I remember my Dad choking suddenly on his saliva, too. As I have gotten older ( I am 47) I cough and choke multiple times a day when drinking water. If I fast for 24 hours, it is a little better. I gave up drinking pop (even diet) about 3 years ago, because I want to make my body more alkaline, since diseases, including cancer, can NOT develop in a more alkaline system. Cancer can live indefinitely in an acidic environment, however! So I am changing my diet. I used to take reflux pills, but they subdue the body's ability to produce enough acid to properly digest foods, and that can cause other digestive problems.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.