Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Cholesteatoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Cholesteatoma

I had some drainage with a foul odor in my right ear so I went to the ENT and they did a catscan...it shows a cholesteatoma in my right ear...I have been waiting a couple weeks now to see a surgeon for this issue and have been on antibiotics for 30 days if not more to keep the infection down...I am concerned something worse is going to happen to me while waiting to get into the surgeon...is my brain gonna fall out...is another c-toma gonna form...my thoughts are enough to drive anyone crazy...I kept feeling this cold feeling behind my head...not all the time but occasionally and was told is was my anxiety due to my stress level...I was hospitalized last week for an infection on the right side of my face (swollen, sore, red) that started by my cheek and went all the way behind my ear...thankfully with steroids and IV antibiotics that settled down and my face and ear have gone back to normal but I am concerned that this cholesteatoma (12mm in size) is going to cause more damage while I wait to get into the surgeon. I go and get regular cleanings from the ENT but I don't like that because my ear is sore for a few days after (they scrape the inside) it hurts! Anyone else have this disease? Anyone know anything about it? I am scared to have surgery...

Cholesteatoma is one of the condition of the ear, where the adjacent structures to it gets destructed as it expands. 12mm is enough to cause the damage. You have not mentioned whether they have reported regarding any bony erosions/ ossicle destruction. If those findings were not mentioned and you are visiting for regular aural toileting I think you can wait till you get your chance and there is no other option for you other than the surgery. Relax, everything will be fine once the surgery is done.

Regards

OHNS2010
Thank you. I had surgery 15 yrs ago for the same thing...they reconstructed my eardrum, ossicles, and removed some of the bone behind my right ear. They have not mentioned the damage this recent one has done. Thank you for reminding me to relax...this has not been easy for me to deal with for some reason...I have been having panic attacks (which seem to make everything worse) and they have not been successful in clearing up the infection. I have been on antibiotics for 2 months now. I was told surgery was dangerous with the infection so I am nervous because what if the infection won't clear up and it comes down to me having to have the surgery with the infection? I guess I just don't understand all the risks and why you can't have infections during surgery...if they remove the cholesteatoma isn't that removing the infection itself? Thanks again for answering my question. I will do my best to relax. Once I am able to see the surgeon I believe most of my fears will subside.
Hey my wife has had surgery's as well on this issue and there is no way to fully get the hole infection. She is most likely going to have surgery's for the rest of her life for every 3 to 5 years they say maybe more. My Prayers go out to you that God will allow this to never return. I am a believer in the lord Jesus Christ from the Bible which is God breathed. I believe if you are willing he can heal you completely. I believe the same to be true for my wife. Well anyway God bless you and have a blessed day.