Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Chronic Canker Sores

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Chronic Canker Sores

I have increasingly been getting canker sores for the past 6 months. Outbreaks only give me one week of rest in between often lasting anywhere from 3-5 weeks at a time. Outbreaks vary in diameter and number. The sores are located solely on the INSIDE of my lower lip, gums, and tongue.

Other possible symptoms (related or not): frequent bowel movements, loss of appetite, decreased sex drive

I have been to several doctors. Done several labs, blood tests.

I have been prescribed the following: Prilosec, Valtrex, and B12 (sub-lingually and interveineous)

Remedially I have tried: salt water, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, lysine, Canker Covers,milk of magnesia, low acid diet, SLS Sodium Lauryl Sulfate free toothpaste.

I do have a B12 deficiency.

I am a college student. 18 years old. High-stress, low sleep.
However, even on breaks with a minimal workload and sufficient sleep, there is no lapse in outbreaks.

My sister has an autoimmune disease (JRA).

I also wear orthodontic retainers at night that cause irritation.

Conditions I am considering: Celiac Disease, Crohn's disease, gluten allergy

I am really sick of this, I can't eat, talk, breath, brush my teeth, etc.

Please help.
Have you been tested for Syphilis?
I am not sexually active. And no I have not been tested.
wow I thought i was the only one. i have the same symptoms as you but no cure and drs. have no idea what to do.
That must be miserable. I get canker and cold sores too but not that often. One doc prescribed the Valtrex but I'm afraid to take it.  You state you are a college student. Ah, are you getting enough rest and eating a good diet and taking vitamins?  Seemed my daughter was sick all the time when she was in college and they kept telling her it was mono.  We finally got her tonsils out and that did wonders.
This may be a shot in the dark, but my son used to get canker sores all the time and I started keeping a diary of what he was eating and when he would have outbreaks.  Finally decided it was grape juice, grape jelly, etc.  To this day, he can't eat or drink a lot of that or he will get a canker sore.  Of course, follow your doctor's instructions but it may be a good idea to start keeping a diary and see if you see a pattern there. Also, I think I would keep everything as sanitary as possible (get Lysol wipes) and keep changing your toothbrush.