Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Chronic/Non-stop nose congestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Chronic/Non-stop nose congestion

Ever since I can remember I have had problems with my nose being stuffed.

I went to the doctor and all they would do is give me antihistames and an alergy (allergy) nasal spray. None worked even remotly. OTC allergy medications do not give me any relief either.

I then tried over the counter nasal spray. Such as Albertsons brand or Costco. These claim to work 12 hours but I only get 4 hours of relief.

If I do not use OTC nasal spray I never naturally clear up on my own.

Even though OTC says not to use it for more than 2 weeks, I have because I cannot get a good nights sleep when I cannot breath through my nose.

My question: Do you know what could cause this non-stop nose congestion?
There could be many factors.  First off, was your doctor an actual ENT or your regular PCP?  Did you actually get allergy tests or did they just assume it was allergies?  Has your nose been examined for a deviated septum or hypertrophic turbinates?  Those are both non-allergy related conditions that can cause chronic stuffiness.  (Although turbs can become enlarged due to long-term allergy use, and also long-term OTC decongestant use which is why they state do not use them long-term.)

Septums can be straightened.  Enlarged turbinates can sometimes respond to different types of nasal sprays, and if all else fails can be trimmed (doctors are VERY hesitant to do that as trimming them too much can cause lifelong SERIOUS nasal problems even worse than the stuffiness you are used to.) You may also have chronic sinus infections, which can be treated by the proper antiobiotics and sprays.

Sounds like you need to get a full, complete workup by an ENT, including x-rays.

Until then, one little thing that might give you some relief before bed is a saline irrigation rinse.  I use sinucleanse; it's a saline solution that you dump into your nose and it drains through your septum and out the other nostril (sounds worse than it is) and it rinses out all irritants and excess mucous and sooths the turbinates helping them to shrink back a bit.  You should try that for a bit of a "quick fix" relief. It is non-medicated and I've never met a doctor who doesn't recommend doing it regularly.  You buy the solution over the counter, where all the saline and decongestant sprays are kept.
>nasal irritaion<

Should read, nasal irrigation. lol
I agree with Jordy.

Here is what I'd do (having sinus issues and recently, tonsils removed)prior to an ENT visit:

Nasal irrigation. I purchased a gerber nasal bulb (for babies) and mixed this sollution, see: http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

I tilted my head down into the tub, mouth open and bulbed half sollution per nasal. Once done with both sides, lifted my head slowly, allowed remainder sollution to drain out & down and then gently blew my nose.

I use saline spray near daily, such as sinofresh.  

I might consider doing a nasal irritaion once weekly or at least, hold your head over steamed wator vapor.

To get to the root of your problem, I'd suggest you consult with an ENT. He'll probably want to perform a ct scan of your sinuses.

Another possibility is a hormonal imbalance. A shortage of Estrogen can cause nasal issues, worsening of allergies included.
I suffered with constant nasal congestion for many years, many days having to hold a Kleenex under my nose for the constant drip.  I went to many doctors over the years, only to get more medicine that did not work and only made me sleepy and feel bad.
One day a saleslady came into my office and saw that I was having a particular bad day with my nose running and eyes red.  She asked me what was wrong and I told her my story.  She related to me that she also had the same problem for years and had gone to many doctors.  She finally went to an old doctor that was about ready to retire.  He immediately told her to stop wearing any makeup for two weeks and to quit using any lotions or moisterizers that she had been using.  She said that it was like a miracle after a few days.  Her sinuses cleared up and her nose quit dripping.  Needless to day that I tried this same thing and it was also like a miracle to me.  After a few days my nose quit dripping and I could breath at night.  I did not wear makeup for two weeks and then started experimenting on which cosmetics I could use.  I now use a more expensive hypoallerginic brand but cannot use all of thier products.  This chance meeting with a stranger did what all of the doctors that I had gone too was not able to do for me.  I urge anyone that has this problem to experiment with what they are putting on thier face.  I hope this helps someone.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE THOSE NASAL SPRAYS PAST THEIR INSTRUCTION DATES/DOSES. My friend did that and had a rebound effect so bad he almost could not breathe through his nose AT ALL. He got a progressively more and more clogged sensation and was costantly overdosing on them.
Switch to saline.
Thank you for all the replies,
you have all been very helpful!

I think I will start using saline, possibly brands recommended, and get an oppointment to get a full checkup, maybe including X-rays =-P
"You may also have chronic sinus infections, which can be treated by the proper antiobiotics and sprays."

I was on a powerful mix of antibiotics for acne and have been trated for an infection late last year (october, 2006) so I doubt it is an infection. I will keep an open mind though.
I have constant nasal congestion and have never been able to breathe through my nose properly due to nasal polyps.

They aren't that common, but maybe you should see ENT just in case?

Katie x

have you tried sterimar? no chemicals in it - just saline spray
have you tried a nasal ******?
these two things have helped me a lot - sterimar cleans out your sinuses and helps you breathe
too much nasal spray can rebound on your symptons!
also - i went to an allergy clinic  - i had intolerance to mushrooms bananas and yeast! and ive cut out these things in my diet and im much better !